Monday, November 30, 2015         

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Kalihi fire displaces 15 residents

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 1:08 p.m. HST, Apr 30, 2013

Honolulu firefighters extinguished a fire at a three-story home on Hala Drive in Kalihi Monday evening.

Twenty firefighters responded to the blaze, first reported at 9:28 p.m., and had the fire under control by 9:45 p.m.

The fire started in the kitchen on the bottom floor when cooking oil intended for frying overheated and caught fire, according to Honolulu Fire Department spokeman Capt. Terry Seelig. The fire spread throughout the kitchen when a resident tried to put out the fire using a fire extinguisher, Seelig said.

The fire burned half the bottom floor before it was contained by firefighters. No injuries were reported, but 15 residents were displaced, mostly due to smoke damage.

Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $185,000.

 Print   Email   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Latest News/Updates