Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 11 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Popular Las Vegas restaurant shut amid food poisoning outbreak

By Michelle Rindels

Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 08:32 a.m. HST, Apr 30, 2013

LAS VEGAS » A trendy Las Vegas tapas restaurant that's racked up hundreds of rave reviews on the website Yelp is closed after more than three dozen patrons reported food poisoning symptoms.

Southern Nevada Health District officials said the flagship Firefly restaurant on Paradise Road was shuttered Friday and will remain closed while they run tests to try to determine the source of the outbreak.

"Everyone's kind of devastated. This is a big deal and we take it very seriously," said John Simmons, who owns the restaurant and two other Firefly locations in greater Las Vegas that remain open. "We've got to get to the bottom of it."

Amy Irani, the district's acting environmental health director, said 39 people who visited the restaurant last week reported symptoms, and 10 said they sought medical attention. Symptoms included diarrhea and vomiting.

Firefly is a block from the Strip and is one of Las Vegas' most commonly reviewed restaurants, with a coveted 4 1/2-star rating on Yelp. Customers rave about the sangria and bacon-wrapped dates.

Irani said Firefly, which was established a decade ago, had an "A'' grade from the health department before the apparent outbreak.

Simmons said the restaurant takes sanitation seriously and called the outbreak an isolated incident.

"We're going to do the best we can to maintain communication with the customers and get people's confidence back if we've lost it," Simmons said.

 Print   Email   Comment | View 11 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Surfer_Dude wrote:
It only takes one incident like this to put you out of business forever.
on April 29,2013 | 01:39PM
loquaciousone wrote:
Popular Las Vegas restaurant shut amid food poisining outbreak I LIKE I LIKE I LIKE
on April 29,2013 | 01:40PM
busterb wrote:
I think that's when you mix Sarin with Poi!
on April 29,2013 | 02:19PM
kimo5050 wrote:
Hey, StarAdversiter editors: where did you learn your spelling? "Poisoning" is the correct spelling - change your headline.
on April 29,2013 | 01:42PM
loquaciousone wrote:
luoks okey to mi. whats wrong wid the spallying
on April 29,2013 | 01:47PM
Wazdat wrote:
WOW, no spell check for a major paper.
on April 29,2013 | 01:58PM
localguy wrote:
kino5050 - Reread the post. Did not come from SA. Try By Michelle Rindels at the Associated Press. SA just reposted it.
on April 29,2013 | 02:23PM
roughrider wrote:
localguy: AP reported the story, SA wrote the headline (it's been corrected).
on April 29,2013 | 09:55PM
HAJAA1 wrote:
Geez, why do we put up with this embarrassing newspaper? Hire some spell-checkers!! While you're at it, hire some photographers and journalists possessing at least college level grammar skills.
on April 29,2013 | 02:14PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
HA, make sure they come from anyplace else but "town side".
on April 30,2013 | 07:16AM
romei wrote:
when are they having the grading sytem in place here in Hawaii.... goodness knows theres been salmonella contamination here with the restaurants i've encountered. the health dept. needs it here stat!
on April 30,2013 | 10:37AM
Breaking News