Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 18 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Freeway shooter doesn't face life in prison without parole

By Nelson Daranciang

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 04:31 p.m. HST, May 20, 2013


Convicted killer Toby Stangel is not facing the prospect of spending the rest of his life behind bars, at least not for now.

The same jury that found him guilty Thursday of the June 3, 2011 murder of Tammy Nguyen and the attempted murders of two other motorists was unable today to decide whether Stangel, 30, deserves the state’s harshest penalty of life in prison without the possibility for parole.

Stangel is facing mandatory life in prison terms with the possibility for parole for Nguyen’s murder and each of the attempted murders of Michael Pagdilao and Amie Lou Asuncion at sentencing in August.

Because the jury was deadlocked on the enhanced punishments for the murders and attempted murders, the state may ask for another jury to make that decision. Prosecutor Dwight Nadamoto said he hasn’t made that decision.

Nadamoto did, however, say he will ask the sentencing judge to impose the three life prison terms back-to-back.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 18 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(18)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
gsc wrote:
He got away with COLD BLOODED MURDER !!
on May 20,2013 | 04:15PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
How can you say he got away with COLD BLOODED MURDER when he was in fact convicted and still faces life in prison?
on May 20,2013 | 04:58PM
scooters wrote:
Are you freaking kidding me!!! What kind of Chicken S&it people were on this jury? This guy deserves a life time behind bars....
on May 20,2013 | 04:16PM
drunkpile wrote:
That was my reaction too. This guy is a straight up psycho. How do we know he won't do this again? A person that randomly murders and attempts to murder strangers is a person that has no place in society. Don't care if he was hopped up on meth and other substances. Most addicts relapse and we know what already know what happens when he uses. Really sad that half of the jury was composed of mentally incompetent fools.
on May 20,2013 | 06:11PM
BRock wrote:
For you to criticize the jury for doing its job in such a rude manner just shows what an ignorant person you are.
on May 20,2013 | 08:51PM
MANDA wrote:
This prosecutor couldn't convict on 1st degree, now he couldn't get an enhanced sentence, now he's going for consecutive sentences. The jury made a judgment that he didn't prove it, so give the guy the appropriate sentence for what the jury ruled.
on May 20,2013 | 04:58PM
mikethenovice wrote:
Throw the key away. Have to send a message to the other copycats.
on May 20,2013 | 05:27PM
mikethenovice wrote:
I drive on the freeway everyday. I don't need someone pointing a gun at me for no reason.
on May 20,2013 | 05:28PM
mikethenovice wrote:
People who shoot at others for no reason are the most dangerous.
on May 20,2013 | 05:29PM
mikethenovice wrote:
We need Jodi Arias jury people. All 16 said guilty.
on May 20,2013 | 05:30PM
kahuku01 wrote:
The jury did find him guilty but it should have been guilty at 1st degree murder. 1st degree murder would have him sentence to life without parole.
on May 20,2013 | 07:31PM
aomohoa wrote:
Good one, but they haven't decided if she will get a life sentence of the death penalty.
on May 20,2013 | 08:53PM
sailfish1 wrote:
This guy killed one person and tried to kill two other people. What does it take to get a life in prison without parole sentence? Shame on the jury for not knowing what is right and appropriate.
on May 20,2013 | 07:10PM
Hawaiians wrote:
Eye for an eye that's what I say.
on May 20,2013 | 08:10PM
aomohoa wrote:
Me too!
on May 20,2013 | 08:53PM
BRock wrote:
You know, he only killed one person. Who really cares? Other than complain in these posting, I'll bet you did nothing for the family involved. Lots of people who only killed one person have been convicted of murder, served their sentences, and went on to live gentle and productive lives.
on May 20,2013 | 08:56PM
aomohoa wrote:
So he becomes a model prisoner and becomes a born again christian he'll get out. That's ridiculous!
on May 20,2013 | 08:50PM
edster48 wrote:
I was kinda hoping he'd do the right thing, and off himself in a holding cell.
on May 20,2013 | 09:00PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News