Quantcast
  

Monday, April 21, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 183 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Autopsy: No 'assaultive' injuries on man who died after arrest

By Star-Advertiser & Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 07:43 p.m. HST, Jun 05, 2013


The Honolulu Medical Examiner said there "are no assaultive-type injuries" found on the body of a 35-year-old Hauula man who died after he was arrested in Waimanalo.

An autopsy performed today on Stephen Dinnan did not determine a cause of death pending further studies and  investigation, according to a news release from the Department of the Medical Examiner.

Dinnan was taken in critical condition to the hospital Monday after he resisted attempts to detain him, police said. He died Tuesday after being taken off life support.

"He was pretty much beat up," said his family's attorney, William Harrison. "It would appear to me way too much force was used. He was not involved with any stolen vehicle."

Police said in a statement that Dinnan fled when officers arrived at a Waimanalo home to locate a stolen vehicle and he fought off attempts to detain him. Dinnan became unresponsive shortly after he was brought under control, police said.

 

Harrison said Dinnan was outside carrying one of his children when officers arrived at the home he shared with others, and he put the child in his car.

"He wanted to get the child out of harm's way," Harrison said. "He was not trying to flee from the officers."

Harrison said an officer choked Dinnan unconscious and Dinnan's back, neck and arms were covered in bruises.

Police said there was an effort to resuscitate Dinnan, but Harrison disputed that, saying officers were incredulous when someone said Dinnan wasn't breathing. Another officer arrived and called an ambulance, Harrison said.

Police said a 26-year veteran of the force has been placed on administrative leave and the department has opened an internal investigation. A police spokeswoman declined to comment further.

The Medical Examiner's finding is confusing, Harrison said.

"I don't understand why they volunteered that information," he said. "If they're saying Stephen wasn't assaulted, that runs afoul of the type of injuries and bruises he sustained."

Harrison said claiming no assaultive-type injuries were found isn't surprising from a Honolulu Medical Examiner's office anticipating legal action.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 183 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(183)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
saveparadise wrote:
Father of 2 young kids? What were thinking of while you were doing drugs, stealing, and fighting with the cops? Certainly not your family. Condolences to the family.
on June 5,2013 | 08:39AM
eoe wrote:
Well, according to the family he is completely innocent. She just dropped him off to get food, came back and he was lying on the ground bruised and foaming at the mouth, the victim of an unprovoked attack by the HPD.
on June 5,2013 | 08:48AM
aomohoa wrote:
Excessive force, probably, innocent, unlikely.
on June 5,2013 | 09:29AM
kainalu wrote:
In a nutshell.
on June 5,2013 | 11:15AM
what wrote:
Sometimes a man can hide his drug addiction from his wife and kids, until he hits rock bottom.
on June 5,2013 | 11:48AM
primo1 wrote:
But where did he hide the stolen cars?
on June 5,2013 | 12:05PM
walaau808 wrote:
Waimanalo...
on June 5,2013 | 12:42PM
Pocho wrote:
Ran from Cops, excessive force, I don't know
on June 5,2013 | 01:01PM
aomohoa wrote:
Maybe we should wait for all the facts and any possible videos. There will lying on both sides. We need facts. Everyone here is speculating.
on June 5,2013 | 07:38PM
jess wrote:
Innocence or guilt, drug addict or not, there is no excuse for police brutality, especially in front of kids. I have witnessed firsthand an HPD officer choking out somebody, this kind of stuff must happen all the time and only gets publicized when someone dies. It's wrong and needs to change Just because there's no "evidence of assaultive injuries" according to the Honolulu Medical Examiner's office doesn't mean that there wasn't an assault that took place. If you watch the video above from HI News Now, it looks to me like he was assaulted. I hope the family can afford a private autopsy for when this goes to court.
on June 5,2013 | 02:27PM
Shh wrote:
That is so shameful towards our police department. I don't think the guy deserved to die. so disgusted to read this kind of news.
on June 5,2013 | 02:49PM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Maybe people should stop resisting. Or better yet, not even be suspected of a crime. Ever thought of that?
on June 5,2013 | 03:44PM
koki wrote:
Well Jess police brutality or a guy high on meth running away and fighting with police while they try to investigate a crime. And by the way, are the police supposed to stop enforcing the law because there are children present? When you are told you are under arrest a reasonable person complies with police. If you want to act like a fool and create an incident in front of children and others, that's on you.
on June 5,2013 | 06:58PM
bobbob wrote:
Other than a single case of property damage and about 40 cases of traffic violations, this guy hasnt been arrested for anything
on June 5,2013 | 02:35PM
walaau808 wrote:
Well of course the family would say that...what would you expect them to say? I might agree about being a victim, except that victim's don't run and fight the police.
on June 5,2013 | 09:41AM
Shh wrote:
I'm sure you would if you knew you were innocent and they needed to bring in someone and you were there at the wrong place and time. They trying to take you in and then what? Don't tell me you would just let them handcuff you and take you in without a fight when you know you innocent,
on June 5,2013 | 02:52PM
primo1 wrote:
Didn't work out too well for Dinnan.
on June 5,2013 | 03:11PM
Hawaiianhaole wrote:
I you are innocent you have nothing to worry about. He could have had outstanding warrants, in that case of course he doesnt want to be taken in.
on June 5,2013 | 04:34PM
koki wrote:
Shh regardless if your innocent or not, you comply with the police and then you hire Green, Breiner or Harrison to get you off the hook. Thats what the judicial system is for.
on June 5,2013 | 07:08PM
waianae94 wrote:
That's EXACTLY what I would do. If you are innocent and try to flee, you will be guilty of resisting arrest.
on June 5,2013 | 11:06PM
allie wrote:
We need more facts. It is sad to see a young father killed but perhaps HPD had no choice. Many problems in 'Nalo I understand. Unfortunate place.
on June 5,2013 | 10:02AM
copperwire9 wrote:
Just what IS a 'fortunate place' in your mind, hon?
on June 5,2013 | 10:15AM
allie wrote:
Manoa!
on June 5,2013 | 10:30AM
copperwire9 wrote:
That's it? Everyplace else is scary and 'unfortunate'? Out of curiosity, just what is it that you think you contribute to the life of Hawaii by disparaging nearly everyone, everywhere, and everything here?
on June 5,2013 | 10:41AM
allie wrote:
I have not done what you say. I am more positive than most bloggers on here.
on June 5,2013 | 11:51AM
UhhDuhh wrote:
You've never used facts before. Why now?
on June 5,2013 | 11:07AM
aomohoa wrote:
Allie forget what her lies are. When you try to cover a lie with a lie it's hard to keep them straight.
on June 5,2013 | 07:25PM
Shh wrote:
You don't know that,,.you should keep your comments to yourself
on June 5,2013 | 02:53PM
Pocho wrote:
Right, sure! Never should have resisted the cop and just listened to em. Now, he can't even clear himself of the possible crime the cops think he committed. What so hard listening to a cop?
on June 5,2013 | 10:15AM
daniwitz13 wrote:
Have you ever watch the Police when they approach a suspect, even innocent? They are USUALLY thrown to the ground even with their hands up. It gets quite hard to listen to what they are trying to tell you, and more so difficult to tell your side with his foot on your throat. To the Police, raising your hand to protect your face and teeth is resisting their efforts to clobber you. "when I hit you with my baton, please do not block it, OK?" In other words, no act Human. Pity.
on June 5,2013 | 02:33PM
pakeheat wrote:
How do you know that, have you seen all the arrest police have made?
on June 5,2013 | 03:40PM
primo1 wrote:
All the arrests made on tv.
on June 5,2013 | 04:52PM
daniwitz13 wrote:
You evidently don't watch the news and live videos. But no, I do not go out with the Police every day and do not see every single arrest that they make. You probably never watched the Rodney King video. Oh, never heard of him, sorry. Pity.
on June 5,2013 | 06:13PM
pakeheat wrote:
Sorry you named only one, pity
on June 5,2013 | 10:15PM
koki wrote:
Too much tv. Get a life...
on June 5,2013 | 07:10PM
lowtone123 wrote:
I guess this new bit of information blows that out of the water.
on June 5,2013 | 01:39PM
Shh wrote:
Sounds like the Police Department is going to do whatever they can to get out of this one. You can already read it at the top. I hope the family sues and gets what they deserve.
on June 5,2013 | 02:55PM
pakeheat wrote:
When yo say "they" who are the others?
on June 5,2013 | 03:41PM
DocDen wrote:
"They" are the unnamed ones-the unnamed family members. You're welcome.
on June 6,2013 | 03:28AM
bobbob wrote:
Other than 1 case of property damage and 40 cars of traffic violations, this guys record is clean
on June 5,2013 | 02:37PM
billygoat wrote:
Yah right, they are "always innocent."
on June 5,2013 | 04:56PM
allie wrote:
An irritating thing out here is that some groups can never accept blame for their own bad decisions and life choices.
on June 5,2013 | 02:37PM
aomohoa wrote:
Oh, that is here allie? LOL You have never lived anywhere but ND and a room in Manoa. It happens every where. If you knew 1% of what you think you know we would be impressed.
on June 5,2013 | 07:29PM
waianae94 wrote:
You don't have enough real life experiences to comment.
on June 5,2013 | 11:07PM
8082062424 wrote:
another black mark on hpd. it going to cost the city millions
on June 5,2013 | 08:44AM
primo1 wrote:
What black mark? Do you know what caused his death? Nothing's been determined yet.
on June 5,2013 | 08:54AM
8082062424 wrote:
just wait and see. this paper is not giving the full facts. The drs in Er stated what caused his injurys
on June 5,2013 | 09:00AM
Poipounder808 wrote:
Maybe because not all the facts are known at this point. What caused the injuries and what caused his death may be two different things. All you Monday quarterbacks should wait for the investigation and the facts to come out before jumping to conclusions. I will agree with one thing, if he didn't run or resist he would probably be alive. At this point we do not know if the officers received injuries themselves. There was a civilian witness (victim of the theft) who can probably shed some light on the events as they unfolded. Sad situation for all involved.
on June 5,2013 | 09:18AM
8082062424 wrote:
The doctors pretty much stated he was beaten and STRANGLED to death. and your right there are witness to this
on June 5,2013 | 09:28AM
walaau808 wrote:
If I'm a cop and someone is trying to beat the living daylights out of me and escape, you can bet your last dollar that I'm going to do what I have to do to subdue the suspect. I can't imagine a cop trying to be gentle when it comes to detaining someone because you never know what the suspect is capable of doing. Why'd he run and put up a fight? You realize that if the suspect didn't do those things he would be alive, right? Make choices, live with the consequences...
on June 5,2013 | 10:32AM
primo1 wrote:
Or in this case die from the consequences. The only ones who have to live with the consequences are his family. Feel sorry for the children who had no choice in the matter.
on June 5,2013 | 11:30AM
8082062424 wrote:
even police are not above the law.
on June 5,2013 | 11:40AM
kahuku01 wrote:
IRT:walaau808: Despite all the false speculating comments from bloggers, especially when they weren't present when the incident took place, you are one of the few that have voiced an intelligent opinion especially by eliminating all the speculating. Good thinking!
on June 5,2013 | 01:40PM
allie wrote:
agree and meth makes men very aggressive and unstable
on June 5,2013 | 02:05PM
Kealii wrote:
That may be true if you're a cop but how about the shoe on the other foot? Say you're innocent and minding your own business when all of a sudden the police tackle and pummel you with little to no warning. Most people will at least try to defend themselves from the blows by blocking or curling into a ball. But to some police that means resisting arrest and you end up getting more dirty lickings. Why do so many people assume he ran and fought? I'm not saying he did either and maybe the police were justified in their actions if he indeed *fought* back but just because one spokesperson said so doesn't mean it happened as such. Even when all the "details" finally comes out that doesn't always mean that's the honest truth.
on June 5,2013 | 03:47PM
lee1957 wrote:
Where might we find this MD report?
on June 5,2013 | 11:32AM
8082062424 wrote:
KHOn had a story on it
on June 5,2013 | 11:41AM
BRock wrote:
You probably won't find it. By the way, what the heck makes you think that you are entitled to it?
on June 5,2013 | 02:09PM
walaau808 wrote:
Agreed
on June 5,2013 | 09:42AM
PTF wrote:
I agree that if he didn't run or resist that he would still be alive.
on June 5,2013 | 02:11PM
jm3 wrote:
He didnt run.. the article said he went to put his child in his car!
on June 5,2013 | 03:03PM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
The article stated that the lawyer stated that he was just putting his child in the car. Geez, you think the lawyer has an incentive to win this suit?
on June 5,2013 | 03:50PM
Kealii wrote:
How do you know he actually did? Because the police say he did? Oh yeah, we know the police are honest and never lie, right? I'd wait for at least more details and the investigation to conclude before jumping to conclusions. And even then, if you weren't there you probably will never know exactly what truly happened. I will agree that this death (or homicide if you prefer) was most likely preventable. By who, that's the question. Sad either way.
on June 5,2013 | 03:55PM
primo1 wrote:
And we know attorneys never lie either right? Especially criminal defense attorneys.
on June 5,2013 | 04:45PM
allie wrote:
agree
on June 5,2013 | 10:02AM
aomohoa wrote:
Just heard the family wants $10 million. Another slimmy lawyer jumps on the band wagon.
on June 5,2013 | 09:28AM
primo1 wrote:
"Forgot the criminal charges, let's just proceed to the civil case so we can get our money!"
on June 5,2013 | 09:43AM
Kealii wrote:
A family just lost their father and it might not have been his fault. And you tease? Auwe!!!
on June 5,2013 | 03:57PM
walaau808 wrote:
Is that for the lost income they won't have from criminal activity?
on June 5,2013 | 10:24AM
8082062424 wrote:
So far it been stated this person has no criminal record
on June 5,2013 | 11:42AM
walaau808 wrote:
that the attorney knows of...
on June 5,2013 | 12:01PM
8082062424 wrote:
police confirm no criminal record
on June 5,2013 | 02:44PM
Kealii wrote:
Wowlaulau808, I'm sure any decent attorney (or actually ANYONE who really wants to know) can figure out someone's criminal history without much trouble. It's not rocket science.
on June 5,2013 | 04:00PM
kainalu wrote:
... and you "heard" the family wants $10-million from where? Cut the BS.
on June 5,2013 | 11:16AM
jm3 wrote:
WHERE DID U HEAR THIS FROM?!?!?!
on June 5,2013 | 03:03PM
residenttaxpayer wrote:
The results of the investigation should be made public whether or not the type and amount of force used was excessive or unreasonable anytime a person is seriously injured or dies as a result of those injuries...
on June 5,2013 | 08:56AM
Cantopop wrote:
Impossible. SHOPO won't allow it. Everyone put your SHOPO stickers on your cars to show solidarity with cover ups and corruption!! Yeah!! Maybe it'll get you out of a cell phone usage ticket!!
on June 5,2013 | 09:45AM
GorillaSmith wrote:
Easy there, pilgrim. How are we gonna get Kimo Jr. a nepotism position with the HPD if we reduce cover-ups and corruption?
on June 5,2013 | 01:45PM
Kapalua wrote:
If he was innocent then he shouldn't have runaway from the police and second he shouldn't have resisted arrest. He put himself in that predicament. If he complied with the law and followed orders from the police then the situation would have been a different outcome. My heartfelt prayers go out to his family.
on June 5,2013 | 09:03AM
lookup wrote:
I totally agree with Kapalua. If Stephen did no wrong as his family stated then why was he fleeing the scene of a stolen vehicle, resisting arrest and in possesion of illegal drugs. People are quick to blame HPD after the fact, but when bad things happen to them who do they call? Of Course they call HPD! I personally know the Officer in question and I can say for sure that he is a very Humble Person and would not have hurt anyone unless it was absolutly necessary and the situation called for the kind of force that was needed. I also know that this Officer started praying for the person(s) they were pursuing and that the situation would be put undercontrol in a peaceful manner as soon as the call was received concerning the auto theft. We should all join him in prayer for the family of the deceased as well for all of our HPD officers who put their lives on the line for us daily!!!!
on June 5,2013 | 09:24AM
speakingtruth wrote:
That is so true. Police officers' duty is to protect the public. It is a dangerous job, especially nowadays. Let us all remember that. The officer's duty is not to kill innocent people who tried to resist arrest? He probably feels worse than the deceased's family that someone died during his duty. Prayers to the officer & his family and the deceased's family.
on June 5,2013 | 10:58AM
rayw wrote:
"If he was innocent then he shouldn't have runaway from the police and second he shouldn't have resisted arrest. He put himself in that predicament. If he complied with the law and followed orders from the police then the situation would have been a different outcome. My heartfelt prayers go out to his family. Ditto - Nuff Said.
on June 5,2013 | 12:37PM
PTF wrote:
Agree.
on June 5,2013 | 02:12PM
Kealii wrote:
I'd agree with that too if he ACTUALLY did run and resist arrest. But since the police said he did and no one else for that matter, not his family (well maybe obviously) or any witnesses that I know of, then he's guilty as charged because the police said so?!? If that were the case, why do we need a judge and a jury? Sheesh!
on June 5,2013 | 04:05PM
roninsensei wrote:
When a police officer says "stop," you stop, When a police officer says "don't resist," you don't resist. What is so hard to understand??
on June 5,2013 | 09:14AM
8082062424 wrote:
The police are not above the law.We have police who did time in federal prison for this kind of abuse only to get there job back after they did there time.
on June 5,2013 | 09:27AM
walaau808 wrote:
What does that have to do with what roninsensei is saying? Stick to this instance, please...
on June 5,2013 | 10:33AM
8082062424 wrote:
my point is abuse by police is nothing new. we have police who have been found guilty of abuse and sent to federal prison . Only for them to get there job back after serving there time.
on June 5,2013 | 11:44AM
walaau808 wrote:
and criminals getting away with crime is nothing new too...
on June 5,2013 | 12:03PM
8082062424 wrote:
but we should expect more from the one who enforce the law don't you think?
on June 5,2013 | 02:46PM
Pocho wrote:
people should have more respect for HPD! When a cop tells you to stop, not to resists, etc. . Listen well.
on June 5,2013 | 02:52PM
primo1 wrote:
So you presume excessive force by HPD in this particular case, even before all the facts and eyewitness' statements are out. Either that or you were an eyewitness that saw the entire incident unfold.
on June 5,2013 | 12:05PM
8082062424 wrote:
it nothing new for the police to abuse there power in this state.
on June 5,2013 | 02:47PM
primo1 wrote:
In case you didn't catch the update, your presumption of excessive force by HPD is so far incorrect. But feel free to continue your mantra...
on June 5,2013 | 03:15PM
Kealii wrote:
That's exactly what everyone is doing before they have all the facts. Most believe the police like they never ever falsify information, use excessive force, hinder their own from prosecution, etc. right? If you believe that then I've got some primo real estate to sell to you on the sunny side of the moon! I'm not saying it's the police's fault or the deceased because all the facts aren't yet out to come to a reasonable conclusion and even then, will the real truth ever come out? The problem is, people lie all the time and worse, many people blindingly believe them.
on June 5,2013 | 04:16PM
primo1 wrote:
Hard to understand when you high on drugs.
on June 5,2013 | 09:32AM
allie wrote:
meth head..too many of them out here
on June 5,2013 | 10:03AM
8082062424 wrote:
The pictures on Hawaii news now do not lie. it there for everyone to see. and the DRs who treated him also do not lie. so we shall see
on June 5,2013 | 05:31PM
jm3 wrote:
&& IF THE COP DOESNT SAY EITHER OF THAT AND JUST THROWS YOU TO THE GROUND???
on June 5,2013 | 03:05PM
pakeheat wrote:
Cops don't throw a person on the ground for no reason.
on June 5,2013 | 03:56PM
HD36 wrote:
Cops are like anyone, you got good ones and bad.
on June 5,2013 | 07:31PM
pakeheat wrote:
I won't disagree with that
on June 5,2013 | 10:19PM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
It's hard to understand when you have generations of cop haters. Just look at this blog. Some are parents teaching their kids to hate cops. They just don't get that the vast majority of us don't even have confrontations with the police, because we don't live a life of corruption. The very thing the cop haters want to accuse the police of.
on June 5,2013 | 03:54PM
primo1 wrote:
It's a form of bigotry. White supremacists raise their children the same way. The kids grow up hating non-white people and they don't even understand why.
on June 5,2013 | 04:18PM
roninsensei wrote:
Too much MMA, Big Body Kine, Ainokea attitude fueled by drugs and alcohol nowadays.
on June 5,2013 | 09:16AM
Cantopop wrote:
True... "Aloha" is a disappearing way of life in Hawaii...
on June 5,2013 | 09:46AM
aomohoa wrote:
The autopsy will reveal a lot. If he was high on drugs I don't see why a family should get anything. Was a video going.?
on June 5,2013 | 09:30AM
speakingtruth wrote:
This is a suing world. I am sure lawyers are approaching the family quick. I personally knows someone who was not paying attention to his own kid who was killed by a car backing out the parking. The family & his lawyer got over $200,000 from insurance.
on June 5,2013 | 11:04AM
jm3 wrote:
there is nothing stating the family wants any money what so ever!! dont assume that this is what they are after. His GF is looking for answers to why he died, not money!
on June 5,2013 | 03:07PM
pakeheat wrote:
But in due time money will be involved, right?
on June 5,2013 | 03:57PM
aomohoa wrote:
I heard it on the news.
on June 5,2013 | 07:33PM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
He just should have gotten arrested and then let this lawyer come to his rescue. Hahahaaha. Do you really think this lawyer would be anywhere around if that had happened? Dream on.
on June 5,2013 | 03:58PM
yamaco wrote:
According to the article the police officer had 26 years of service so he must have been at least 44 years old and the guy who has his phone stolen was 57 years old and yet they were able to catch a 35 year old thief. So the 35 year old must not have been in pretty good shape.
on June 5,2013 | 10:20AM
Kealii wrote:
Well that is interesting. An older officer being able to catch an alleged car thief who is much younger and doesn't look like someone out of shape. And if he was a thief who was never caught before then he must be a real fast one to evade capture so far. As a general rule, most thieves are pretty fast runners due to their chosen profession. Cops SHOULD be too but that sometimes declines with age and a growing gut that isn't checked as often as they put in the years. We've all seen THOSE cops. Older cops are probably going to be the slower cops. It's just father time at work. Hmm okay, so an older cop is able to chase down a fast-running thief never caught before? And then pummel his face into poi? Umm okay.
on June 5,2013 | 04:40PM
kula wrote:
Why did he run if he was innocent, you resist arrest, things happen & unfortunately, something did happen badly. Sad for the family.
on June 5,2013 | 10:28AM
u808man wrote:
Way too many puka's in this incident. However, Stolen car, cell phone tracking, fleeing the scene because of an approaching HPD officer? Why? Normally the innocent stay put to inquire why HPD is on scene. NOT RUN AWAY. He knew the gig was up. Was Stephen under the influence? Did he have any health issues? Flee and then resist (fight) the Police? Possession of drugs too? Not a good decision. Especially coming from the father of two. I truely feel sorry for them. Not neccessarily him. The decision he made that faithful day, cost him his life. Tough job being a cop, I'd say. So easy for many to place blame at those who serve and protect. Another sad ending to another sad story as the saga continues in this country. Aloha from Texas-
on June 5,2013 | 10:38AM
daniwitz13 wrote:
many on this page are accusing him from running away. Like running is a Crime. He has a Constitutional Right to run like he has a Constitutional Right to walk. He also has a Constitutional Right NOT to talk. The Police get themselves into a lot of trouble when they chase. Like in high speed chases. I'm pretty sure his name and address can easily be known. Why 'bother' chasing him. If your son (which you should know) runs away from you. He being younger and faster than you, would you go chasing him half way around town, or would you wait for him to come home? I don't know how far he would have run, but by just staying there investigating for a while, he may just come back on his own, knowing he is not being chased, come back and explain. If he does not come back, they surly now knows where he lives, and even the prospect he will walk in voluntarily to the Police. Saves a lot of fatigue and might even save one's job. However if it for a paid leave, that's a different problem. Pity.
on June 5,2013 | 06:55PM
Waipahunokaoi wrote:
One less perp breaking into cars. Civil suit is less expensive than housing him in jail.
on June 5,2013 | 10:40AM
whatcanisay wrote:
Article says two males fled when first officer arrived. What happened to the other guy?
on June 5,2013 | 10:42AM
ahi1pfb wrote:
Sick and tired of hearing people defend criminals. He may be innocent until proven guilty. Running from and then resisting arrest does not help his case. He is as much to blame for his demise as HPD may have been. Our society has decayed under the evils of drugs and loss of family values. We as parents have failed our children.
on June 5,2013 | 10:55AM
pakeheat wrote:
I agreed to much of what you said, however, "We as parents have failed our children", you can do you very best to raise your kids the right way, and if they decide to do otherwise, would you blame the parents? When they reach an adult age, they are responsible for their own actions.
on June 5,2013 | 04:00PM
Fred01 wrote:
He was not a "father."
on June 5,2013 | 11:16AM
jm3 wrote:
maybe not to you!
on June 5,2013 | 03:08PM
Fred01 wrote:
Or to his kids. "Fathers" do not use drugs and steal cars.
on June 5,2013 | 03:33PM
E_Ogawa wrote:
I haven't read all the comments above, but the caption of the photo and first sentence seems presumptuous in assuming that the suspect died from injuries sustained during his arrest. That he "became unresponsive" after being brought under control doesn't necessarily mean the injuries directly led to his death. Maybe he was high and suffered a heart attack as a result of the anxiety of being apprehended. Maybe he had a pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by his anxiety or his physical exertion in resisting arrest. The anonymous Star-Advertiser staff writer shouldn't be taking liberties without all the facts.
on June 5,2013 | 11:28AM
ellinaskyrt wrote:
Hmm. You didn't watch the video, did you? There's nothing that the SA said that falls into the category of "taking liberties."
on June 5,2013 | 01:02PM
jm3 wrote:
a heart attack will not cause someone to be brain dead. and have you seen his bruises and cuts?
on June 5,2013 | 03:09PM
pakeheat wrote:
bruises and cuts don't cause death either
on June 5,2013 | 04:04PM
ryan02 wrote:
You know what would have been ever sadder than this guy's death? If the police officer or the private citizen were lying there dead instead of him, all because a criminal decided to fight them rather than be arrested. Now THAT would have been sad.
on June 5,2013 | 11:31AM
lookup wrote:
So True!
on June 5,2013 | 12:08PM
primo1 wrote:
Apparently 8082062424 doesn't agree with you...
on June 5,2013 | 12:09PM
Mr_Ton wrote:
Wow, drugs and running away from the police. He sure sounds like an innocent man.
on June 5,2013 | 11:51AM
WKAMA wrote:
Maybe drugs and fighting with the cops caused too much stress on unknown weak heart.
on June 5,2013 | 12:04PM
HatchKelso wrote:
The arresting office is a long time friend. I pray for all of the families that are involved. Right or wrong, this is painful for many.
on June 5,2013 | 12:18PM
Aquarius1 wrote:
Like most others, I wonder why he ran if he was innocent and had nothing to hide? I'm speculating, a father with 2 young kids, sleep deprived and needing help with that, possibly using illegal drugs, running from the law, then resisting arrest. If on drugs, that fight or flight (or both) could have negative effects on the body.
on June 5,2013 | 12:29PM
pgkemp wrote:
just in,,,,,,,,,no assaultive type injuries noted..........
on June 5,2013 | 12:34PM
NotNasti wrote:
Cannot be. Did you see the hospital pictures? He was all bus up. TV news said he was unresponsive and police did nothing. A civilian passerby performed CPR when cops did nothing. At least after Deedy shot Kolin Elderts, he tried to resuscitate him.
on June 5,2013 | 12:47PM
pgkemp wrote:
check hawaii news now site.......
on June 5,2013 | 01:01PM
ellinaskyrt wrote:
More specifically, the person who performed CPR, according to Hawaii News Now, was the owner of the car that was stolen.
on June 5,2013 | 01:03PM
walaau808 wrote:
I just saw that too! We going to hear all the "cover-up" theorists now?
on June 5,2013 | 01:00PM
jm3 wrote:
the CPR thing was not a cover up or just released.. its been a fact from the beginning
on June 5,2013 | 03:11PM
walaau808 wrote:
What are you talking about? I'm not disputing the CPR thingy - I know the guy who did the CPR. He was an off duty firefighter...
on June 5,2013 | 07:54PM
telebit wrote:
Your mom tells you to stop…you stop. A teacher tells you to stop…you stop. Red light…you stop. A police officer tells you to stop…you stop. Everything works better if you follow these rules
on June 5,2013 | 12:52PM
Truth wrote:
And bruises on the arms, plural, back, and neck is not assault? How did the cop subdue Dinnan? Ask him nicely to bruise and foam at the mouth?
on June 5,2013 | 01:20PM
Dragonman wrote:
Don't jump to conclusions. Those bruises could have been the result of him resisting arrest. When someone is resisting someone will get bruised. I am not saying he was not assaulted, I am saying we should all wait until all the results reguarding his death are released.
on June 5,2013 | 02:46PM
primo1 wrote:
Bruises don't occur just from one person striking another. If the perp was resisting arrest, you think he was doing so in a calm, peaceful fashion?
on June 5,2013 | 02:57PM
mutsrus wrote:
Excited Delirium Syndrome?
on June 5,2013 | 01:45PM
Bully wrote:
The autopsy says no assaultive type injuries but the lawyer says he was pretty beat up. If he were beat up it would have showed in the autopsy. The lawyer is probably just repeating what the family said without actually seeing the marks on the victim.
on June 5,2013 | 01:46PM
lookup wrote:
Could it be that after a vigorous and physical confrontation with the the alleged criminal the officer was bruised and battered himself, so once the stuggle was over the bystander/ owner of the stolen car just stepped in to try and help Stephen until the EMT's arrived. If there was no resistance there would not have been any struggle in the first place. He obviously knew that he was carring drugs and didn't want to be taken into custody. And what was he doing with drugs while he was careing for his children?
on June 5,2013 | 02:19PM
8082062424 wrote:
If the officer was injured the would be broadcasting it .
on June 5,2013 | 03:16PM
liveinhawaii wrote:
Lawsuit after lawsuit!!!! Lets make it fair, allow HPD to sue these families for endangering the officer!!!!
on June 5,2013 | 02:12PM
jm3 wrote:
but its ok for HPD to KILL?
on June 5,2013 | 03:12PM
WooWoo wrote:
Wow, SA essentially reprinted a press release from the attorney. Notice how confidently Harrison describes the scene when he wasn't there?
on June 5,2013 | 02:14PM
nalogirl wrote:
According to court records in October 2012 he was found guilty of property damage in the amount of $3,432,86. I wonder what that was about?
on June 5,2013 | 02:16PM
kuewa wrote:
So, if I'm understanding the confusing info correctly, Stephen Dinnan (Kahuku 96), a father of 2 with no priors, steals a car, then drives with his girlfriend (mother of his 2 children) and is dropped off at a house where he lives with multiple other people. The police find him carrying one of his children in the driveway-- then he places the child in his (stolen?) car--- then suffers multiple body and facial injuries while running away but handcuffed in the same driveway (didn't run very far?) but these injuries were not due to assault, then is foaming at the mouth-- but this is also not due to assault. The person whose car was supposedly stolen happens to be there and tries to resuscitate Mr. Dinnan. He is taken to the hospital and eventually is taken off life support. The Medical Examiner then releases a non-assaultive injury report even though unexplained traumatic injuries are obviously visible in the hospital pictures. I don't know which side is telling the truth, but it seems to me that the benefit of the doubt is not favoring HPD, although they may have shibai on their side.
on June 5,2013 | 02:19PM
Dragonman wrote:
The benefit of the doubt favors neither Dinnan nor HPD. Since I am assuming you were not there to witness the event and no real conclusion can be reached with the amount ot information released so far, we all must wait until the official cause of death is released after all the lab tests are done. My condolences to all those involved in this tragic incident.
on June 5,2013 | 02:53PM
kuewa wrote:
The "official cause of death" appears to be irrelevant when the deceased is clearly covered with bruises. The more important information is how he managed to suffer such visible injuries without assaultive actions. Witness accounts may end up being more important than the medical examiner reports. And one does not have to "be there" to make personal conclusions based on available information. If being there was required, then no opinions would ever be made and no judgments would be reached about any criminal case,
on June 5,2013 | 03:16PM
pakeheat wrote:
Witnesses and others involved under testimony in court 'UNDER OATH", that should do it, right?
on June 5,2013 | 04:13PM
jm3 wrote:
that pretty much sums it up minus the fact that he (nor his family) was in a stolen car... He is a father of 4.. He does not reside at the house he was arrested at....
on June 5,2013 | 03:14PM
kuewa wrote:
ok--mahalo for the more details. Difficult trying to combine all the bits and pieces from the various sources, including the SA.
on June 5,2013 | 03:39PM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Maybe he was beaten before the cops got there. The owner of the car took justice in his own hands. He felt bad and that's why he performed CPR.
on June 5,2013 | 04:03PM
Kealii wrote:
And how many victims would come to the aid of "their" criminal? Did he do it because he is kind-hearted? Maybe he wanted him to stand trial rather than taking the easy way out? Or maybe he saw police brutality with his own eyes and tried to intervene? I'd like to hear what he has to say, he could probably shed more light on what really happened.
on June 5,2013 | 04:52PM
false wrote:
Well there you have it folks.
on June 5,2013 | 02:20PM
Kawipoo wrote:
Another loser bites the dust. Darwin needs to keep doing his job of cleaning out low life's.
on June 5,2013 | 02:21PM
jm3 wrote:
Darwin? Is that the arresting officer? Thanks :)
on June 5,2013 | 03:14PM
LadyNinja wrote:
Folks, the facts of the story have yet to surface. The bloggers that are putting up opinions, stop, let the truth come out. Don't allege anything that you cannot back up with facts. True, the family would be without Dinman but on the other hand, why did they go out and immediately hire William Harrison? Harrison is a CRIMINAL defense attorney.
on June 5,2013 | 02:49PM
jm3 wrote:
R I P S T E V O watch over your babies and guide them to the right path. Those who know you, know that you werent the "car theif" kinda guy.. God Bless the families involved.
on June 5,2013 | 03:16PM
HAJAA1 wrote:
Excessive force. Ha! Your fault in the first place no? Maybe these people (criminals) need to learn the word "accountability".
on June 5,2013 | 03:25PM
kula wrote:
This Harrison guy sure is searching for a reason & making a bunch of maybe's, guess that's what lawyers do
on June 5,2013 | 03:29PM
HAJAA1 wrote:
Oh, and Mr. family attorney? The displaying of cute family photos and videos are obviously your lame attempt to try to get the public's support. Not here my friend. We're not pushovers.
on June 5,2013 | 03:30PM
Fred01 wrote:
Yes.
on June 5,2013 | 03:34PM
HAJAA1 wrote:
SA needs to finally take steps to become a real newspaper with real forums.
on June 5,2013 | 05:40PM
ejkorvette wrote:
Condolences to the family of the deceased. Eagerly await all of the Facts and results of this case.
on June 5,2013 | 05:46PM
50skane wrote:
What do you think a civil suit type attorney is going to say? He smells the money and that what his sites are on, that and only that! He will ignore any facts given by anyone and try to rile up the general public because he smells big bucks!! I'm sure the attending physician at the ER where the guy was brought will testify to the injuries also..what is the attorney going to say if the physician also says that there were no assault type injuries..that the ER doctor is also in cahoots with the City? These guys are too much!!
on June 5,2013 | 06:25PM
sailfish1 wrote:
What happened to using a taser and avoiding this kind of mess?
on June 5,2013 | 06:28PM
SandBar wrote:
Your views are full of assumptions. Or in other word, all you're doing is making an A##-U-ME.
on June 5,2013 | 07:19PM
aomohoa wrote:
Maybe we should wait for all the facts and any possible videos. There will lying on both sides. We need facts. Everyone here is speculating.
on June 5,2013 | 07:38PM
scooters wrote:
@daniwitz= fool
on June 5,2013 | 08:31PM
black3000psi wrote:
I am just wondering if its ok to kill someone because they are a drug user? the medical examiner says no signs of assault, yet there are bruises all over his body? L.A.P.D outlawed the same choke hold because it can cause brain damage very quickly.there is no indication that he was on drugs at the time nor was there any indication that he was in possession of any drugs. I pray that those who rush to judge this young mans life do not have to suffer the pain his family is suffering now.
on June 5,2013 | 11:24PM
pueohonua wrote:
There is no excuse for this type of police brutality. There is no doubt that this is living proof that law enforcement works many times against its citizens whose taxes go to paying these cops salaries. This calls for special investigation by the Feds.
on June 6,2013 | 12:02AM
HAJAA1 wrote:
Let me guess.....you're on welfare right?
on June 6,2013 | 12:07AM
hikine wrote:
No "assualtive" injuries when the pictures shows otherwise! Cover-up!!!
on June 6,2013 | 01:39AM
fiveo wrote:
Strange thing about the report from the medical examiners officer is that there is no mention of the cause of death. No assaultive injuries but maybe a crushed larynx. Also strange, that if he was so resistive, why was a tazer not used?? Whether Dinnan did anything wrong or not or allegedly struggled with the police officers, the real issue is was excessive force used. The so called Choke Hold is very dangerous to use and when not applied correctly can easily lead to death and injury as may have happened in this case. If police are found to have used excessive force, those responsible need to be prosecuted criminally. Being subject to only a civil suit which will probably lead to a settlement with tax payer money being given to the family is not sufficient. We grant the police extraordinary powers so when they screw up they need to be held fully responsible.
on June 6,2013 | 08:10AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News