Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 16, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 31 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Fox finger-pointer to woman: 'know your role'

By David Bauder

AP Television Writer

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:37 a.m. HST, Jun 22, 2013



NEW YORK >> A finger-pointing political argument on Fox News Channel boiled over when a male conservative talk show host shouted at a woman to "know your role and shut your mouth."

The man, Bill Cunningham, later asked Fox contributor Tamara Holder, "Are you going to cry?"

Fox on-air personalities today were talking about the exchange on Sean Hannity's prime-time show the night before. Commentator Juan Williams concluded that Cunningham "obliterated the line" of civil discourse in his argument with Holder. The two had been brought on by Hannity to discuss whether Attorney General Eric Holder — no relation to Tamara — had committed perjury.

Cunningham, sitting next to Tamara Holder in a New York studio, called her "one of the stooges of the left that will always be there to excuse away criminal behavior." He said she had the "incurable fatal condition of liberalism that caused people like Eric Holder to be the consulary of Barack Hussein Obama."

He was jabbing a finger at Holder, who returned the favor.

"I really hope that when you speak to a judge, you don't point your finger in the person's face the entire time," she said. "Your finger does not make your point."

Cunningham is a former assistant attorney general in Ohio whose wife is on the Ohio Court of Appeals. He hosts radio and television talk shows.

"Whose finger is in my face right now?" Cunningham asked.

Replied Holder: "Mine, because I'm telling you to shut up."

"You shut up!" Cunningham said. "Know your role and shut your mouth."

Cunningham could not be reached for comment Friday.

It was only three weeks after another exchange on Fox, where daytime host Megyn Kelly said she was offended by a male colleague's suggestion that children of working mothers don't fare as well as children with stay-at-home moms. One Fox contributor, Erick Erickson, said that in nature, males were traditionally dominant.

Later, Cunningham repeated his assertion that Holder was a "liberal stooge and an excuse-monger for the Obama administration."

After Holder paused, Cunningham asked, "What, are you going to cry?"

"No, I'm not going to cry," Holder said.

Admonished by Hannity at the end of their segment to shake hands, they refused. "I don't shake hands with trolls," Holder said.

Things were still smoldering on today when Fox returned to the argument. Daytime host Martha McCollum hosted a segment with Williams and Fox contributor Mary Katherine Ham on whether the combatants had gone too far.

"The merits of the argument might be on the Cunningham side," Ham said, "but I'm on Team Tamara on the comment of knowing your role."







 Print   Email   Comment | View 31 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(31)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
kolohepalu wrote:
That is great- at least Cunningham is cutting to the chase and doing away with pandering rhetoric. If you like your women obedient, vote Republican! Uppity thinking women need not apply!
on June 21,2013 | 02:05PM
kainalu wrote:
lol
on June 22,2013 | 09:25AM
96706 wrote:
Ahhh that's why this world is a mess - it's run by ............MEN!!!
on June 21,2013 | 02:12PM
loquaciousone wrote:
Reminds me of when Colleen went on the Bill O'Really show and really gave him the finger.
on June 21,2013 | 02:32PM
HOSSANA wrote:
Yes, she gave him the finger but she was the IDIOT FOR NOT KNOWING THE ISSUES AND LOOKED STUPID ON THE PROGRAM.
on June 21,2013 | 04:40PM
kolohepalu wrote:
As was appropriate.
on June 23,2013 | 06:17AM
hanalei395 wrote:
"Know you role" ..... Why there is HATRED for Barack Obama from Fox and the Republican Party: .... Obama, a black guy, didn't, doesn't, "know his role".
on June 21,2013 | 02:33PM
palani wrote:
If you mean his role as President of the United States, then, yes, you are correct hanalei395. Anyway, I thought Obama was half-white.
on June 21,2013 | 04:21PM
hanalei395 wrote:
I wrote about Fox and the Repubs and their hatred for Obama because Obama, a hapa black guy, didn't, doesn't "know his role". (Obama became Pres. anyway).
on June 21,2013 | 05:04PM
Skyler wrote:
Umm... Obama is not a woman nor was this comment directed at him. Why pull this out, then? Makes no sense.
on June 21,2013 | 06:02PM
hanalei395 wrote:
The subject is also about Fox "News". And you should know the role of Fox.
on June 22,2013 | 09:27AM
kolohepalu wrote:
Exactly. The right-wingers would've found something to hate about Obama- his ethnicity is very convenient for them. A good portion of the tea bag crowd and the red staters are mainly just prejudiced- policy is not on their radar.
on June 23,2013 | 06:24AM
iwanaknow wrote:
this kind of stuff only brings out the worse in people........................and puts alot of eyeballs in front of Fox TV and their rating go up.................go figure. auwe!
on June 21,2013 | 02:55PM
Skyler wrote:
You should read Huffington Post then... it'll make you crazy. These particular guys/gals on Fox 'making A' are only sprouting their opinions - whether shared with others or not - nothing more. They certainly aren't reporting 'news.'
on June 21,2013 | 06:04PM
control wrote:
A recent facebook posting stated that the most intellegent person on Fox was Homer Simpson. I tend to agree.
on June 21,2013 | 06:38PM
Jonas wrote:
Fox Noise Faux News
on June 21,2013 | 03:16PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Class.
on June 21,2013 | 03:47PM
Roosevelt wrote:
Fox has the credibility of "professional" wrestling. It's all about ratings. Reaction or discussion of Fox's inanity is the end goal. It's surprising that Joe Moore continues his association with the network.
on June 21,2013 | 04:01PM
palani wrote:
If AP "television writer" David Bauder had actually watched the entire segment, he would have quickly realized that the exchange between Cunningham and Holder went both ways, and each resorted to sarcasm for comedic relief and dramatic effect.
on June 21,2013 | 04:19PM
HOSSANA wrote:
Colleen was the IDIOT and she really looked the part not knowing the Real issues that he was discussing on the show.
on June 21,2013 | 04:41PM
HOSSANA wrote:
and what is that supposed to mean....plez, tell me because Colleen really looked the idiot on the show.
on June 21,2013 | 04:42PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
Ha! Way to passive-aggressively put your wife on blast, pal.
on June 21,2013 | 05:18PM
Mallory wrote:
ah gotta love Fox News! I mean, who are all these women to think they actually have an equal role in society?! HAHAHAHA As Fox contributor Erick Erickson states, "in nature, males were traditionally dominant." Hey, if you want a progressive society that is no B.S. go REPUBLICAN because we don't need equal rights and equal pay for women who do the same job as men. The REPUBLICAN agenda is ON the MARK! If we are to progress, we need more REPUBLICANS!!!!!!! Put the women back in their place. Sheeeesh. Finally a man to set the woman back in her seat. Back to the kitchen, miss. Progressive society!!! Moving forward people. Vote REPUBLICAN before its toooo late!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
on June 21,2013 | 05:24PM
Anonymous wrote:
"know your role?" Great example of the truth- uterus envy! If you cannot be impregnated, you simply have no worth in society! Women can have the children and are able to use the wet dream product of their nine year old sons, refrigerated, sold on the market, hey who really needs a man anymore, or marriage for that matter? Yeah, I guess adult males are showing their maladjustment in the world of refrigeration and turkey basters in the modern kitchen. Feeling left out, not needed and scared! lol
on June 21,2013 | 06:15PM
primowarrior wrote:
Fox News really needs to remove "Fair and Balanced" from it's web logo.
on June 21,2013 | 06:18PM
eros_et_logia wrote:
Doesn't this article prove that the channel IS "fair and balanced?"
on June 21,2013 | 11:39PM
3ocean3000 wrote:
I absolutely LOVE when these Republican cave men show their hairy backs. They want to take us right back to the Middle Ages. Keep up the good work guys because with each one of these outrageous incidents, you lose more followers.
on June 22,2013 | 07:59AM
Maipono wrote:
Interesting how many people who never saw the segment can make bold statements about the comments made by both Holder and Cunningham, both of whom are Fox commentators, one liberal and one conservative, the definition of "fair and balanced". Cunningham was referring to Holder's drifting away from her role as the "liberal" commentator to one of attorney, in questioning Hannity's qualifications in commenting about the Attorney General's role in perjuring himself when he said he had no knowledge of the wire tapping of the Fox News reporter and his parents. The AG testified that he was not involved under oath when he had signed documents previously that named the reporter as a "criminal co-conspiritor", in effect perjuring himself in front of congress. Commentator Holder was not aware that Cunningham was not only an attorney, but a former attorney general himself, so when she started to speak to them in a condescending manner, that caused Cunningham to "inform" her of her role of the "liberal" commentator, and not the "law school professor". While the comment were made in response to Holder's attitude, they were strong, but in my opinion justified, given the direction she was going.
on June 22,2013 | 08:53AM
bluebell wrote:
Par for the course, as far as Fox News goes. Men with brains the size of a gnats- and I'm being generous!
on June 22,2013 | 12:50PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Well, you should know....
on June 22,2013 | 03:11PM
bluebell wrote:
Thank you! "Your criticism polishes my mirror". - - Rumi Now he was a very smart man- no brain the size of a gnats. :))
on June 24,2013 | 01:31PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Court Sense
Musings on Shamburger

Political Radar
HB 1700 — Day 1

Hoops Talk
Aloha Shamburger

Political Radar
Stacked

Political Radar
HFFA

Warrior Beat
All’s fair

Political Radar
Apology