Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 45 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Second hiker dies after fall

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 02:20 p.m. HST, Jun 23, 2013

Two hikers died in separate fall incidents on Mariner's Ridge this morning and above Kaaawa Saturday.

Paramedics said a 70-year-old man died after falling while hiking the Mariner¹s Ridge Trail at about 9:45 a.m.

The man apparently fell about 20-to-30-feet and was pronounced dead when paramedics arrived, according to an Emergency Medical Services report.

Fire Capt. Chris Ah Mook Sang said it is unknown whether the man died from the fall or a previous medical condition.

The man was part of a local Korean hiking club and was not a visitor, Ah Mook Sang said.

When fire rescue crews reached the man he was not breathing and had no pulse, Ah Mook Sang said. He was flown by helicopter to a landing zone, where paramedics pronounced him dead.

On Saturday, a 23-year-old hiker who fell 300 feet from the Puu Manamana hiking trail above Kaaawa died at the hospital, police said.

The Fire Department helicopter airlifted the woman from the Koolau mountains after fire rescue personnel stabilized her, Fire Capt. Chris Ah Mook Sang said.

The incident happened just after 11:30 a.m., and Ah Mook Sang said the woman was taken to the Queens Medical Center at around 1:20 p.m. with "traumatic" injuries to her lower back and one of her legs.

According to police, she died around 1:35 p.m.

The Puu Manamana trail runs along the ridge that separates Kahana Valley and Kaaawa and is regarded as one of the most dangerous hikes on Oahu.

COMMENTS

Kuokoa wrote:
"is regarded as one of the most dangerous hikes on Oahu." When are these people going to learn!?
on June 23,2013 | 10:27AM
Slow wrote:
Some folks have a higher need for the adrenalin rush. All that matters is you don't hike there. I certainly won't. But I believe individuals making choices. She was young and made a tragically wrong decision.
on June 23,2013 | 11:00AM
Ahh! the young and bold, fearless of dangerous consequences. Bad choices are made by the unprepared and mindless, which end tragically for the individual and family left behind. Sad, feel for the family.
on June 23,2013 | 11:14AM
false wrote:
Bad weather for hiking these ridge trails. Sorry for the loss of someone so young. The beauty of these mountains is an ecstasy to enchant. She will be missed.
on June 23,2013 | 11:57AM
john_zee wrote:
maybe people should just stay home and watch tv, it's certainly safer
on June 23,2013 | 05:06PM
localguy wrote:
Easier to take the hike with Google Maps.
on June 23,2013 | 09:40PM
localguy wrote:
Are we talking from the first step to the end or select areas? Need to be precise. Not something the state does well.
on June 23,2013 | 09:39PM
hikine wrote:
Accidents do happen. You should take a hike! :D
on June 23,2013 | 09:53PM
localguy wrote:
People like this unfortunately only make one mistake, their last. They fail to research the trail, then when on it fail to admit it may be more than they can handle. No shame in admitting this, allowing you to hike again somewhere safer another day.
on June 23,2013 | 10:45AM
Skyler wrote:
Sad to hear.
on June 23,2013 | 10:58AM
Manoa2 wrote:
This is a scary trail and not well marked. If you go too far, you will be stuck with no way to go forward or back-- I always turned down before this because I was with experienced hikers. Several people have been rescued when they went to far to turnaround. It is scary, scary-- sheer drop, driving wind almost all the time, narrow trail, and hugging the rocks and the cliff, crawling in spots along the ridge too scary to stand. I would not recommend this except for the very experienced, and only in the best conditions with the least rain. There are worse hikes, but they are the ones on unmarked trails-- this is probably the scariest marked trail.
on June 23,2013 | 10:58AM
allie wrote:
close this trail down!
on June 23,2013 | 11:36AM
Wahiawamauka wrote:
Yes and pass a law to make every hiker wear a helmet.......Yeah right. Ban this, can't go there or here, have to wear a helmet etc.... Same old ignorant B.S. If anyone wants to risk their own life by hiking a dangerous trail or by riding a skateboard for that matter, it should be none of our governments business.
on June 23,2013 | 12:35PM
bobbob wrote:
are they also covering the cost of the rescue attempt and compensating the rescue workers for risking their lives to save them as well?
on June 23,2013 | 01:28PM
mudsprkt1 wrote:
Well said wahiawamauka. Sometimes some people say stupid things when they have their foot in their mouth.
on June 23,2013 | 02:27PM
koki wrote:
Oh really, it should be none of the governments business? Guess who has to risk their lives unnecessarily to rescue you because you decided to take these risks? Have any idea how much it cost the state to rescue these reckless hikers? And you know what happens when they are injured and have no medical insurance? The state picks up the tab or the hospitals eat the loss which can be thousands of dollars. Then the state will be sued for not having signs up, allowing reckless behavior etc. You should educate yourself on the subject before before making comments.
on June 23,2013 | 02:52PM
aomohoa wrote:
When a trail is closed it just makes people want to hike it more. You can't stop an adventurer from doing what they love. If I remember right you want to band skate boards too.
on June 23,2013 | 12:46PM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
Agreed. Just look at the number of people cited for hiking the Stairway to Heaven and Sacred Falls. To some, the lure of the verboten is a big draw in itself. There have always been the daring among us, and there always will be. It's called Human Nature. Sorry for the loss of this poor young woman and her grieving family. Also, the old Korean man and his family.
on June 23,2013 | 02:20PM
HawaiiMongoose wrote:
Allie there are at least 20 videos depicting this hike posted on YouTube. I suggest you go watch four or five before making a judgement about closing down this trail.
on June 23,2013 | 12:58PM
allie wrote:
ok but..maybe you and I can go up there? It sounds lovely but I need an expert guide
on June 23,2013 | 03:43PM
Fred01 wrote:
Close your mouth, allie.
on June 23,2013 | 02:12PM
mudsprkt1 wrote:
Yea allie. before your foot falls out......
on June 23,2013 | 02:28PM
SteveToo wrote:
Close you down allie. Over a hundred people do this hike a year w/o a problem. You could get hit by a car in a cross walk more often then falling off a cliff.
on June 23,2013 | 03:53PM
SteveToo wrote:
Why was my post deleated? Allie you have no idea about hiking. Any one can slip and fall on any trail or in their bathroom for that manner. I know two experienced hikers who fell in the past year. One over 300' and the other about 150'. Both lucky and lived to hike again. You have a better chance to get hit by a car in a CROSS WALK than falling from a hiking trail if you know what you are doing. But that's why they are called accidents.
on June 23,2013 | 05:31PM
copperwire9 wrote:
That's a good collection of information. And I appreciate you not laying down any judgment on this poor woman for having chosen to take the hike. I've found myself in incredibly dangerous situations on hikes; before sometimes just one little bit of miscalculation can turn even a reasonably safe hike into a potential disaster. . . .We hike because the outdoors call, because the wind and the trees and the sunshine give so much to our lives. . . .This time a tragedy unfolded, so sadly. And yet, if this young woman could speak to us today, she would very likely say that she died doing what she loved. . . .I only hope that when my end comes, I would be able to say the same. . . .Rest in peace, young woman, and know we grieve with your family and friends, those who love you still.
on June 23,2013 | 11:56AM
kiragirl wrote:
Condolences to her family and friends. May God bless.
on June 23,2013 | 11:11AM
Songoboy wrote:
Condolences to the families of both hikers.....everyone please be careful out there.
on June 23,2013 | 12:13PM
HawaiiMongoose wrote:
It's awful that someone so young should lose her life this way. And it's true that Pu'u Manamana is one of Oahu's most demanding, hazardous trails. I've hiked it twice and it's genuinely scary, even for those of us who are very experienced hikers. But it's also breathtakingly beautiful, and the fact is that many trails on Oahu can be deadly if you take a careless step or are just unlucky enough to have a foothold or handhold give way unexpectedly. I hope other hikers will take away the right lessons from this terrible tragedy: assess your surroundings constantly, be mindful of every move you make, don't take on a challenge you haven't physically and mentally prepared for, and never be hesitant or embarrassed to turn back if conditions (wind, rain, clouds, darkness) threaten to erase your margin of safety.
on June 23,2013 | 12:19PM
copperwire9 wrote:
...and that 'turn back' moment can happen to us all at different times. I was once on a dicey ridge trail, narrow and slick, with some friends. A point came when I just stopped, and told the rest of them to go ahead; I'd wait for them to return. They were quite surprised, since I was probably the best, and most experienced, hiker of the group. But my *own* instincts told me that was my stopping spot. The rest returned a couple of hours later, and we descended as a group. I've never regretted missing the spectacular view the rest of them saw - I trust my na'au, and am still hiking. Who knows? I might have died that day, had I continued that particular hike. . .Again, many condolences to the family and friends who lost people they love on the trails this weekend.
on June 23,2013 | 12:32PM
allie wrote:
agree..I am so sorry for her and her family. Many of the trails are dangerous and weather is uncertain. But let us be frank: Mainland tourists come here-many of them-for experiences in Nature. They seek a certain danger, natural beauty, breathtaking experiences, etc. Shopping is not why they come.
on June 23,2013 | 01:08PM
Manoa2 wrote:
The wind and rain can make a big difference on all the ridge and summit trails. I no longer hike, but have done a lot of the summit and ridge hikes. When the wind is gusting at 25-30 miles and hour and every handhold is slick and wet and the trail is slippery, I would not go ahead. It can also be blazing hot with wind and the danger then become dehydration if you have not brought enough water.
on June 23,2013 | 05:04PM
allie wrote:
well said
on June 23,2013 | 01:00PM
gsc wrote:
BAKATADI !!
on June 23,2013 | 12:40PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Kupuna on Oahu who have taught others this trail have always insisted on rope tied between hikers. (In the event someone falls the weight is evenly distributed). Certainly there is the risk of pulling others down but the risk of losing one is minimized. I've only done this one once and will never do it again. Sorry to hear that she didn't survive.
on June 23,2013 | 12:45PM
SteveToo wrote:
I don't know of any hikers on O`ahu that link themselves together as do some "mountain" climbers around the world.
on June 23,2013 | 05:34PM
kahuna8899 wrote:
Aloha, I feel so sorry for the family and friends of these beautiful healthy and naturalistic individuals. I pray they give full descriptions of what happend leading up to the falls minus any morbid information so we can all learn to be more careful. My condolences and prayers. All their family and friends are the living legacies of these two fellow hikers. Live Aloha, Paul
on June 23,2013 | 01:07PM
buttery wrote:
Koukoa---the question is not "when are these people going to learn" but when is the State of Hawaii going to learn!
on June 23,2013 | 01:41PM
copperwire9 wrote:
Learn WHAT?
on June 23,2013 | 02:39PM
SteveToo wrote:
People die hiking and mountain climbing all over the world. But only in Hawai`i do they sue the state or land owner and win in court. What gives?
on June 23,2013 | 05:35PM
gmkhawaii wrote:
WHY isn't anyone up in arms and DEMANDING that politicians BAN hiking? More people have died this year from hiking than that who had ridden in the back of a pickup truck!
on June 23,2013 | 02:53PM
IAmSane wrote:
Wait, was that supposed to be a serious comment?
on June 23,2013 | 06:49PM
WaialaeGuy wrote:
From what I have seen on TV news, the trail is narrow with sharp drop-offs on either side. It is not for novices or tourists (unless they are experienced mountaineers, even then I'd have second thoughts). This sounds a little like the saying for mushroom hunters, there are bold hikers and old hikers, but no old, bold hikers.
on June 23,2013 | 04:07PM
AirRescueFF wrote:
There's all this "outrage" over the rare deaths of pickup truck riders by legislators with their agenda, but nothing when it comes to deaths from hiking. Hypocritical much?
on June 23,2013 | 05:13PM
Kuokoa wrote:
What part about "Private Property -- No Trespassing" don't these people understand?
on June 23,2013 | 08:46PM
BigOpu wrote:
Condolences to all who knew this young lady and elder man. I just googled that Pu'u Manamana trail...what a trip to say the least. Beautiful with amazing views. I'm just glad people are taking unreal pics of it because I wouldn't have the guts to cross that ridge.
on June 24,2013 | 12:56AM