Monday, July 28, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

U.S. Rep. Gabbard seeks replacements for top staff posts

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 05:15 p.m. HST, Jun 26, 2013

<br /><br />Kat Wade / Special to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser<br />Tulsi Gabbard identifies with the Hindu faith -- her mother is Hindu and father, Roman Catholic. She is shown giving her victory speech Tuesday at the Japanese Cultural Center in Honolulu.<br />

Hawaii U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard is looking to fill two top staff positions, including her chief of staff.

Amy Asselbaye is leaving the Hawaii-based position to devote more time to her work at the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center. She also co-opened a coffee shop in Hawaii Kai with her husband and another couple last year.

Asselbaye served as a longtime congressional aide to Neil Abercrombie and as an aide to the governor before leaving toward the end of his first year in office.

“With my chief of staff returning to her job at the Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, I decided to move my chief of staff position to the D.C. office to handle the day-to-day office operations while Congress is in session,” Gabbard said in a statement.

Gabbard, a Democrat, also is looking to replace her deputy chief of staff, Jennifer Goedke, who left the position earlier this month. No reason for her departure was given.

More From The Star-Advertiser

Gabbard starts search for new top staffers

COMMENTS

typroctor wrote:
Seems like I read a story about staff people leaving government service because of Obamacare. The health policies they have now would be lost if they stayed on after Jan 1st.
on June 26,2013 | 05:16PM
QueSeraSera wrote:
You are right. I just googled it & this article does say that "Dozens of lawmakers and aides are so afraid that their health insurance premiums will skyrocket next year thanks to Obamacare that they are thinking about retiring early or just quitting." Source: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/obamacare-lawmakers-health-insurance-92691.html
on June 26,2013 | 08:21PM
HD36 wrote:
Sounds like they didn't do enough brown nosing. I heard of one legislator who hired his wife's mom from the Phillipines who barely speaks English. She gets $35 a year for making coffee and emptying the trash on a part time basis.
on June 26,2013 | 05:19PM
QueSeraSera wrote:
or maybe they didn't work out as a team or maybe Amy was looking for a less stressful job. I just hope the replacement is as strong or better because so far Rep. Gabbard has been quite effective in getting things done. Hope that continues.
on June 26,2013 | 08:16PM
HEARTOHEART wrote:
The new staff will have to be brief about TULSI GABBARD belonging to a HINDU CULT base in Hawaii They must be told the truth TULSI being finance by a destructive cult ..that she was born and raised in . Those who know the TRUTH know that she is no HINDU ....just an sub Hare Krishna cult
on June 26,2013 | 05:23PM
Mythman wrote:
Chris Butler Kathy Hoshigo Tulsi's dad - not a cult. Hare Krishna connected.
on June 26,2013 | 05:44PM
QueSeraSera wrote:
If that's where Tulsi derives her very good beliefs from, I will learn more about them. Can't find a more positive politician (or servant-leader as she says) around.
on June 26,2013 | 08:25PM
hawaiikone wrote:
You really need to do some research...
on June 26,2013 | 09:36PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
what's the difference who her God is?
on June 26,2013 | 07:00PM
QueSeraSera wrote:
Right on. In my observance the fruit of the tree (Tulsi) is very sweet, so I trust the tree of her beliefs must be good as well.
on June 26,2013 | 08:23PM
Skyler wrote:
Bigot alert.
on June 26,2013 | 07:11PM
QueSeraSera wrote:
This dude posts the same thing every time I see his post. Is he/she a zombie or maybe he/she belongs to a cult which has brainwashed him/her. As far as Tulsi's beliefs, in my observance the fruit of the tree (Tulsi) is very sweet, so I trust the tree of her beliefs must be good as well.
on June 26,2013 | 08:13PM
hawaiikone wrote:
see above.
on June 26,2013 | 09:37PM
honokai wrote:
I don't care what people believe. If they act with kindness and aloha that is good enough for me.
on June 26,2013 | 07:40PM