Quantcast
  

Saturday, April 19, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 26 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Suppressed report criticizes Hawaii-based POW/MIA effort

By Robert Burns

AP National Security Writer

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 08:09 a.m. HST, Jul 08, 2013


WASHINGTON » The Pentagon's effort to account for tens of thousands of Americans missing in action from foreign wars is so inept, mismanaged and wasteful that it risks descending from "dysfunction to total failure," according to an internal study suppressed by military officials.

Largely beyond the public spotlight, the decades-old pursuit of bones and other MIA evidence is sluggish, often duplicative and subjected to too little scientific rigor, the report says.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the internal study after Freedom of Information Act requests for it by others were denied.

The report paints a picture of a Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, a military-run group known as JPAC and headed by a two-star general in Hawaii, as woefully inept and even corrupt. The command is digging up too few clues on former battlefields, relying on inaccurate databases and engaging in expensive "boondoggles" in Europe, the study concludes.

In North Korea, the JPAC was snookered into digging up remains between 1996 and 2000 that the North Koreans apparently had taken out of storage and planted in former American fighting positions, the report said. Washington paid the North Koreans hundreds of thousands of dollars to "support" these excavations.

Some recovered bones had been drilled or cut, suggesting they had been used by the North Koreans to make a lab skeleton. Some of those remains have since been identified, but their compromised condition added time and expense and "cast doubt over all of the evidence recovered" in North Korea, the study said. This practice of "salting" recovery sites was confirmed to the AP by one U.S. participant.

JPAC's leaders authorized the study of its inner workings, but the then-commanding general, Army Maj. Gen. Stephen Tom, disavowed it and suppressed the findings when they were presented by the researcher last year. Now retired, Tom banned its use "for any purpose," saying the probe went beyond its intended scope. His deputy concurred, calling it a "raw, uncensored draft containing some contentious material."

The AP obtained two internal memos describing the decision to bury the report. The memos raised no factual objections but said the command would not consider any of the report's findings or recommendations.

The failings cited by the report reflect one aspect of a broader challenge to achieving a uniquely American mission — accounting for the estimated 83,348 service members still listed as missing from World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

This is about more than tidying up the historical record. It is about fulfilling a promise to the mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers and sons and daughters of the missing. Daughters like Shelia Reese, 62, of Chapel Hill, N.C., who still yearns for the father she never met, the boy soldier who went to war and never returned.

She was 2 months old when heartbreaking word landed at her grandmother's door a week before Christmas 1950 that Pfc. Kenneth F. Reese, a 19-year-old artilleryman, was missing in action in North Korea. To this day, the military can't tell her if he was killed in action or died in captivity. His body has never been found.

"It changed my whole life. I've missed this man my whole life," she says.

She's not alone.

Reese is among 7,910 unaccounted for from Korea, down from 8,200 when the war ended 60 years ago this month.

A sense of emptiness and unanswered questions haunted many families of the missing throughout the second half of the 20th century, when science and circumstance did not permit the almost exact accounting for the dead and the missing that has been achieved in Iraq and Afghanistan. While the government's efforts have provided closure for hundreds of families of the missing in recent years, many others are still waiting.

Over time, the obscure government bureaucracies in charge of the accounting task have largely managed to escape close public scrutiny despite clashing with a growing number of advocacy groups and individuals such as Frank Metersky, a Korean War veteran who has spent decades pressing for a more aggressive and effective U.S. effort.

The outlook for improvement at the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, he says, is not encouraging.

"Today it's worse than ever," he says.

People disagree on the extent of the problem. But even the current JPAC commander, Air Force Maj. Gen. Kelly K. McKeague, says he would not dispute those who say his organization is dysfunctional.

"I'd say you're right, and we're doing something about it," McKeague said in a telephone interview last week from his headquarters in Hawaii. He said changes, possibly to include consolidating the accounting bureaucracy and putting its management under the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Washington, are under consideration.

The internal report by Paul M. Cole was never meant to be made public. It is unsparing in its criticisms:

—In recent years the process by which JPAC gathers bones and other material useful for identifications has "collapsed" and is now "acutely dysfunctional."

—JPAC is finding too few investigative leads, resulting in too few collections of human remains to come even close to achieving Congress's demand for a minimum 200 identifications per year by 2015. Of the 80 identifications that JPAC's Central Identification Laboratory made in 2012, only 35 were derived from remains recovered by JPAC. Thirty-eight of the 80 were either handed over unilaterally by other governments or were disinterred from a U.S. military cemetery. Seven were from a combination of those sources.

—Some search teams are sent into the field, particularly in Europe, on what amount to boondoggles. No one is held to account for "a pattern of foreign travel, accommodations and activities paid for by public funds that are ultimately unnecessary, excessive, inefficient or unproductive." Some refer to this as "military tourism."

—JPAC lacks a comprehensive list of the people for whom it's searching. Its main database is incomplete and "riddled with unreliable data."

—"Sketch maps" used by the JPAC teams looking for remains on the battlefield are "chronically unreliable," leaving the teams "cartigraphically blind." Cole likened this to 19th century military field operations.

Absent prompt and significant change, "the descent from dysfunction to total failure ... is inevitable," Cole concluded.

He directed most of his criticism at the field operations that collect bones and other material, as opposed to the laboratory scientists at JPAC who use that material to identify the remains. Cole is a management consultant and recognized research expert in the field of accounting for war remains; he still works at JPAC.

More broadly, the government organizations responsible for the accounting mission, including the Pentagon's Defense Prisoner of War/Missing Personnel Office, or DPMO, which is in charge of policy, have sometimes complicated their task by making public statements that their critics view as disingenuous or erroneous.

The head of DPMO, for example, retired Army Maj. Gen. W. Montague Winfield, said last month at a public forum that the U.S. government has "no evidence" that U.S. servicemen taken prisoner in North Korea during the 1950-53 war were later moved to the former Soviet Union against their will and never returned.

Washington made a detailed case in writing to Moscow in 1993 that such transfers did happen, and the AP has obtained a videotape produced by U.S. officials and given to the Russians at the same time to support the U.S. case.

The tape, which has never before been made public, was provided to the AP by a former government official who was not authorized to release it. It says that based on interviews and other research, U.S. investigators believe "10s if not 100s" of American POWs were transferred to the territory of the former Soviet Union. In some cases they were moved to Russia through rail transfer points in China, the tape asserts.

"Certainly we understand that these operations were never meant to see the light of day," the film says.

The Russian government has repeatedly denied it received American POWs from Korea.

Mark Sauter, a private researcher and co-author with John Zimmerlee of "American Trophies and Washington's Cynical Attitude," an e-book about POWs to be published this month, found in government archives a U.S. intelligence report from August 1955, two years after the war, calling for a bigger intelligence effort to learn about such POW transfers.

"Continued and numerous fragmentary intelligence reports give credence to possible detention of a large number of American POWs in China, Manchuria, U.S.S.R., and North Korea," it said. It cited one "significant report" describing "a large number of U.S. POWs being shipped into U.S.S.R. by rail" from northeast China.

Accounting for the nation's war dead has been a politically charged issue for decades. The debate is not about the practicality of the mission, which some might question, but how it should be pursued.

Sometimes overlooked amid the squabbling is the emotional toll on the families of the missing. They are often bewildered by the bureaucracy and left to watch hope wear away with the passage of time.

In 1975, more than two decades after Pfc. Kenneth F. Reese was declared missing in Korea, his widow, Chris Tench, who had by then remarried, described her feelings in her local newspaper, the Gastonia (N.C) Gazette.

She wrote that initially she was relieved to realize that the policeman who delivered the news about Reese on Dec. 18, 1950, was saying that her husband was missing, not dead. He might turn up alive, she recalled thinking.

Later she thought differently.

"No, missing isn't dead," she wrote. "It's worse than dead."







 Print   Email   Comment | View 26 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(26)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
allie wrote:
yikes...massive waste and bungling again...
on July 7,2013 | 10:49AM
turbolink wrote:
Thank you allie, we understand how you feel about anything military. Perhaps you missed the many news articles through the years about the many good things they accomplished. But it's good to know your record of being the first to p00p on anything is still intact.
on July 7,2013 | 10:55AM
allie wrote:
unfair
on July 7,2013 | 11:53AM
turbolink wrote:
Your record speaks for itself.
on July 7,2013 | 11:57AM
kennysmith wrote:
I was told by some our vets here in sacramento back in 2012 that our gov know but don't want to do a thing about it.
on July 7,2013 | 11:12AM
Anonymous wrote:
Whats really a waste is using a full sized coffin with a complete uniform just to bury a fingertip. They died a long time ago and have been returning back to the earth or as christians would say ashes to ashes and dust to dust. No need to bring them home, they are already there. Soil is soil regardless of what continent. Stop dumping money into CILHI for that and focus on more important issues.
on July 7,2013 | 11:31AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Shame on the late Daniel Inouye for not demanding accountability, controls and performance goals to the funding that he appropriated.
on July 7,2013 | 11:31AM
allie wrote:
Dan was a sly operator hon
on July 7,2013 | 11:53AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Shame on Bush for using all that money on Iraq and squat for the Korean Mia.
on July 7,2013 | 07:40PM
HD36 wrote:
Shame on FDR for The New Deal.
on July 7,2013 | 09:31PM
Ewaduffer wrote:
"The internal report by Paul M. Cole was never meant to be made public". Who the heck is Paul M. Cole? What experience does he have with trying to recover country specific bodies from far flung battle fields 70, 60 or 40 years after the fact? What a crock!
on July 7,2013 | 12:44PM
kuroiwaj wrote:
I'm trying to locate Dr. Paul M. Cole also. Can't locate him or find out the date and purpose of his report. Hope we're not chasing rainbows. I recall a story a year or so ago about the JPAC situation and JPAC has cleaned up a lot of their procedures and is doing one heck of a job not leaving our soldiers behind. If you locate Dr. Cole let us all know. Mahalo
on July 7,2013 | 12:57PM
mitt_grund wrote:
"He directed most of his criticism at the field operations that collect bones and other material, as opposed to the laboratory scientists at JPAC who use that material to identify the remains. Cole is a management consultant and recognized research expert in the field of accounting for war remains; he still works at JPAC." By all indications, he is a consultant who works on the inside ops of JPAC. Peculiarly, he found fault only with field ops, as opposed to internal ops, i.e., the laboratory aspect, which he apparently does consultant work for. Frankly, I would not use an inside person to do a critique of operations. They usually have an axe to grind or bury in someone's head, especially if they think they are better than their boss, or everyone else for that matter. Thing is who authorized the study? Was it self-initiated or commissioned. Again, anyone who would commission an inside person to do a study has got to have been a little disturbed. There is no neutrality possible, especially if you have a skewed view of the situation..
on July 7,2013 | 10:07PM
kuroiwaj wrote:
mitt_grund, mahalo for the information. I kinda had a hunch about such a report.
on July 9,2013 | 04:34PM
soundofreason wrote:
Well....it's Hawaii so.........yeah.
on July 7,2013 | 01:56PM
juke wrote:
25oo vietnam vets are still missing.its been 47 years since i fought with the 196th inf.over there.thoses vets of us who are still alive for over 10 years i work with rolling thunder and 50000 vets about our pows.its sad because the va cant take care of us who are still alive.the missing and the dead are forgotten.i have fought very hard for vets rights over the last 25 years.been to wash dc 10 times.all we ever get is.we will look into it.47 years later still the same answer.SGT THOMAS D.COMBAT VIETNAM VET
on July 7,2013 | 02:37PM
kuroiwaj wrote:
Hey Juke, thanks for your service, and don't give up. Keep up the fight. First Strike '69 A Shau. Don't be like saywhatyouthink, he has never been In combat and is an idiot as with most of the other 95% who never served in combat. Mahalo again Juke, take care.
on July 7,2013 | 03:32PM
HD36 wrote:
You're right. This program is nothing but a government jobs welfare program to the detriment of those like yourself.
on July 7,2013 | 09:33PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Waste of taxpayer resources, how about you worry about our troops that are still alive instead of wasting money chasing bones around the world.
on July 7,2013 | 02:45PM
juke wrote:
you tell that to the to the mothers&fathers.WIFES.WHO OVER THE LAST 75YEARS WILL NEVER KNOW ABOUT THERE LOVE ONES.YES THE DEAD ARE DEAD THE MISSING ARE MISSING.SO JUST SENT THEM OF TO DIE AND FOGET ABOUT THEM.ITS BECAUSE OF THEM YOU HAVE THE FREEDOM TO WRTITE WHAT YOU SAY.SHAME ON YOU.
on July 7,2013 | 03:53PM
MIAhunter wrote:
I lived in Papua New Guinea for 23 years and spent 11 years searching for WWII relics. My family and I visited 15 airplane crash sites, (8 Japanese, 2 US and 5 Australian) which lead to the discovery of an Australian Hudson bomber serial number A16-126 in 2008 that had been missing for 66 years. We notified the Australian Embassy and within the month, they sent 4 RAAF officers to confirm the report and within 5 months, the site was excavated for the missing 4 man crew with assistance from locals that lived in the area. You can read our story in, "MIA: That the Lost May be Found!" In 2011 I notified JPAC of remains from an Avenger (assumed US) that were found in a harbor at 60 feet and they acted on the report by sending a Navy ship. I do not know if the remains were recovered. Although many are frustrated with JPAC, I was impressed with their timely response in this instance.
on July 7,2013 | 04:44PM
pridon wrote:
I'm retired USN and Vietnam Vet. I remember when JPAC was established and said to myself, what a waste. When a ship sinks we consider those lost s interred. If fact, I believe that remains are still inside the Arizona. I don't recall us spending our treasure to locate and recover the remain of the Scorpion or Thresher or any of the ships lost at various sites in the Pacific in WWII. Yet he spend a fortune looking for bone fragments of a crew member for a crew of a plane which crashed in a remote area almost 70 years ago. At some point we have to make tradeoffs on the use of our resources. Being ripped off by the NK government is not my idea of a way I want my tax money spent. If the effort must continue, simply offer a reward of a $1000 for anyone who returns the remains of a KIA or MIA and then let CILHI do its job. No need to spend hundreds of thousands digging at a site, many times to no avail.
on July 7,2013 | 07:24PM
steveoctober wrote:
watch for the guy who wrote the report get hunted down and faced with imprisonment for telling the truth.
on July 7,2013 | 05:19PM
HAL9000 wrote:
Not the guy who wrote the report, but the guy who leaked the story will be hunted down, any plane rumored to carry him will be diverted and forced to land. If his name starts with Ed, then he is dead meat.
on July 7,2013 | 05:55PM
HAL9000 wrote:
This is typical Hawaii, under the Neil Abercrombie administration. Even the Airports have the soap dispensers in the rest rooms inside the garbage cans.
on July 7,2013 | 05:46PM
sailfish1 wrote:
"But even the current JPAC commander, Air Force Maj. Gen. Kelly K. McKeague, says he would not dispute those who say his organization is dysfunctional." So, either fix it or cancel the work.
on July 7,2013 | 09:50PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News