Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 19 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Mayor plans signing ceremony Sunday for smoking ban bills

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 07:07 p.m. HST, Jul 20, 2013

<br />Jamm Aquino / jaquino@staradvertiser.com<br />A bill banning smoking at several beaches is heading to a final vote before the City Council after it was approved in committee.<br />

Mayor Kirk Caldwell will sign two bills Sunday that ban smoking at nearly 300 Honolulu parks and about 4,000 bus stops, his administration announced.

Honolulu City Council members unanimously passed bills 25 and 28 on July 10. The bans take effect Jan. 1, except for Waikiki Beach, Kapiolani Park and Sandy Beach, where they go into effect immediately. Penalties range from $100 for a first violation to $500 for three or more violations.

Supporters who spoke out at the city council meeting said the bills would help the environment and make public recreational spaces healthier for beach and park-users.

Opponents believe the bills encroach on people’s rights, and some have said they plan to exploit a loophole in the law that permits smoking in state waters along the shoreline. The bills were initially scheduled to take effect upon the mayor’s approval, but the Council pushed back the enforcement date to allow time for public education and for signs to be put up.

The Council earlier this year passed a bill banning smoking at eight major parks, including Kapiolani Park, Kuhio Beach and Sandy Beach. But city attorneys determined that language in the bill allowed the city to enforce the law at only one beach, the makai side of Ala Moana Beach Park, because it is owned by the city. The others are on state lands.

Bill 25, the parks bill approved Wednesday, eliminates that problem.

The bill signing will be held at 11 a.m. at Kuhio Beach on Kalakaua Avenue next to the Duke Kahanamoku statue.

Caldwell will be joined by councilmembers Ikaika Anderson and Ron Menor, who sponsored the bills, and advocates from the state Department of Health, Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii, Surfrider Foundation, Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawaii, and the Beach Environmental Awareness Campaign Hawaii (BEACH).

COMMENTS

echo808 wrote:
Good luck trying to enforce these laws. Police have more urgent matters to attend to, like real crimes. And I don't even smoke!
on July 20,2013 | 04:26PM
kainalu wrote:
Exactly. I just talked to 4 different City and County officials, 3 from HPD this week because I called 911 last Saturday night to report a violation of the law - and the police didn't come.
on July 20,2013 | 07:29PM
gsc wrote:
Well at least it's a start. Thank You Mayor Caldwell ...
on July 20,2013 | 04:38PM
mikethenovice wrote:
It's a start? Chapter one to chapter one?
on July 20,2013 | 05:50PM
spam wrote:
Sign it and I will not vote for you again.
on July 20,2013 | 05:06PM
mikethenovice wrote:
No body will end up voting for Kirk except the operators of those noisy bikes.
on July 20,2013 | 05:51PM
st1d wrote:
the no smoking bill should be signed at ala moana park to emphasize the importance of the ban.
on July 20,2013 | 05:10PM
mikethenovice wrote:
Lets ban every move we make on O'ahu expect curbing the excessive noise those two wheeled vehicles.
on July 20,2013 | 05:49PM
mikethenovice wrote:
The tourist will just look at Kirk and never return back to Hawaii. Hawaii may end up like Detroit if we continue to chase the money away. That's bad for my munis.
on July 20,2013 | 05:55PM
mikethenovice wrote:
I don't smoke but should respect those who do. I'm sure they could find something annoying with myself.
on July 20,2013 | 05:56PM
residenttaxpayer wrote:
Sounds like Caldwell is grandstanding by holding a ceremony to restrict smoking....really Kirk?....There no need for fanfare..just sign it into law just like all other bills are routinely done.....
on July 20,2013 | 06:24PM
kaleboy wrote:
What next? Why nit focu on more important matters! Next they will tell us what we cant eat!
on July 20,2013 | 07:16PM
Bdpapa wrote:
Kirk, go to church instead. You need to beg forgiveness for the games you're playing. You were just lucky you ran against Ben.
on July 20,2013 | 07:33PM
bumba wrote:
My water bill is going up, property taxes are going up, electric bill is through the roof. I don't give a s**t about the anti-smoking bills.
on July 20,2013 | 07:47PM
bumba wrote:
Everybody that voted for this sleazeball deserves whatever he pulls on you.
on July 20,2013 | 07:55PM
Mana07 wrote:
This is what our Mayor thinks is important? Get off of my freedom!!!
on July 20,2013 | 08:21PM
deucedeuce223 wrote:
We should make a law requiring spf 100 to go out into sun since it causes skin cancer... Oh wait, it doesn't cause skin cancer in 100% of people who go out without sunscreen on. Yes, inhaling second hand smoke has been shown to cause breathing disorders and lung cancer and a few other health hazards but not 100% of the time. This is starting to become a communist state. Just because people don't follow what everyone else is doing, the politicians are making laws to FORCE people to do it. What a crock of PURE CRAP!!! When is the alcoholic beverages going to be TAXED UP THE YING YANG because it causes liver disease and is "linked" to DUI TRAFFIC ACCIDENTS, DEATHS. Oh wait I forgot political dinners require those types of beverages since its not against the "law" to drink in public. Yes, I am a smoker but I don't go to highly public areas and light up. I stay the required by law 20 feet from building entrances and I don't smoke on private property when its posted so. Now its the beginning of not being able to smoke in any public place anywhere in this state. It is my personal choice to continue to smoke cigarettes and paying $10.00 a pack is already outrageous. I know I'll quit smoking and just become an alcoholic and drive under the influence and get a slap on the wrist from our wonderful judicial system as most people do or maybe I'll pull a Deedy or even better I'll kneel on someones chest until they become brain dead. At this rate the human race should be put on the endangered list or maybe the stupidest mammal list...
on July 20,2013 | 09:06PM
pridon wrote:
Do we call 411 to report illegal smoking? How much is the ticket? How about banning cars. I hate to inhale that exhaust when I am out for a walk. Maybe they can deputize the lifeguard. Maybe Mr. Kirk can get back to fllling pot holes. That effort has produced much results. An by the way, get rid of his special tax exemption to help pay off the police raises. With the public service unions unions and rail and the underfunded pension hand health care liabilities, Honolulu is about 10 years away from becoming a financial disaster like Detroit.
on July 20,2013 | 09:14PM
Uncleart66 wrote:
Hope he plans a ceremony when he raises the property taxes. I sure everyone will want to thank him......
on July 20,2013 | 09:43PM