Thursday, April 24, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 12 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Hawaii News Now blacked out for DISH customers

By Erika Engle

LAST UPDATED: 07:14 a.m. HST, Aug 01, 2013

Hawaii subscribers to DISH Network satellite television service lost the ability to view KGMB-TV, KHNL-TV and KFVE-TV overnight in the latest retransmission dispute.

The TV stations’ Alabama-based parent company, Raycom Media, has blacked out its stations’ signals from DISH Network in 36 markets nationwide, after negotiations failed to reach a new retransmission consent agreement, or arrangement in which DISH pays Raycom for its content.

In Honolulu’s case, the content is national programming from CBS, NBC and MyNetworkTV, local newscasts, and other shows.

In a statement, DISH said Raycom was seeking a “massive price increase,” and that it had offered to pay the same rates as do primary competitors for the same content, “but Raycom refuses to sign a contract,” the DISH statement said.

On its corporate page, Raycom says DISH “has refused to enter into an agreement with us.”

The Hawaii News Now website still carries the same message for DISH Network subscribers posted July 2.

Above that message, however, is an advertisement for DISH competitor DirecTV. Down each side of the message to DISH subscribers, identical messages in dramatic lettering read: “Attention DISH Network subscribers. Your station is no longer available on the DISH Network. But you’re still paying for it!” The message encourages customers to call a toll-free number to get a rebate.

There is no indication as to when a new agreement might lift the blackout and return Hawaii News Now programming to DISH customers.

COMMENTS

busterb wrote:
Oh well, it's Joe Moore for you! Poor saps.
on August 1,2013 | 07:33AM
uhsportsfan wrote:
I used to have Oceanic Cable but canceled my service in 2009 and have not had any kind of cable, satellite or antenna TV since. It was hard at first, but now I don't miss it. You want to send these guys a message, cancel your service. It is possible to live without it and maybe, just maybe, if enough people cancel, they'll finally offer ala carte service. Maybe then I will go back to TV, but until then, no way.
on August 1,2013 | 07:38AM
dlum003 wrote:
Blangiardi's shameless smear campaign against Raycom didnt work ... surprise surprise. The blame lies squarely with greedy programmers like his parent company, who try to strongarm video distributors with their 200% fee increases and blame tactics. It's these absurd fee hikes that drive the cost of satellite and cable services up, not the distributors. This is the end result.
on August 1,2013 | 08:21AM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
Don't be so quick to put this all on the networks. Cable networks like USA and TBS are already getting the rates that the broadcast networks are asking for. The cable companies have set bad precedent by paying these rates to other networks first.

Bottom line, no matter who wins, cable customers will end up footing the bill.

on August 1,2013 | 10:23AM
gsc wrote:
I'm happy with Oceanic Cable !
on August 1,2013 | 08:42AM
HAJAA1 wrote:
....says the employee of Oceanic Cable
on August 1,2013 | 08:50AM
loquaciousone wrote:
How lucky!
on August 1,2013 | 08:53AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Update: USC Hawaii football game on August 29, 2013 will be aired by CBS - KGMB --
on August 1,2013 | 09:30AM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
An OTA antenna will insulate you against these services outages of broadcast stations. Unfortunately, situations like this are going to occur more frequently as cord cutters proliferate and the content providers and delivery channels fight over shrinking cable revenue.
on August 1,2013 | 10:19AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Uh Oh..no USC football game for you dish users.
on August 1,2013 | 10:30AM
loquaciousone wrote:
No USC football game for you dishers.
on August 1,2013 | 10:30AM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
As a former Ocean Cable subscriber and now a satellite dish customer, I can say that even without KGMB, KHNL and KFVE I am still better off. I pay less for a whole lot more. I even receive premium movie channels for less than what I was paying at Oceanic without any premium movie channels. I actually applaud Dish for standing up to the demand of Raycom Media. From what I have gathered Raycom was demanding more than what they charge other equivalent providers. I do not miss KGMB, KHNL or KFVE. There are so many other programming that I will not need to look for these channels. Further, Oceanic was always raising their rate. I was paying $130 for services without DVR and no premium channels. That was just outrageous. I now get those services for less through Dish Network. I recall Oceanic trying the scare tactic with me about clouds interrupting satellite signals. I have not had that problem that they were warning me about. I have all the same channels (except I get Encore movie channels to boot) so losing the above channels won't bother me one bit. I am so glad that I made the switch. I would not go back to Oceanic even if they paid me to.
on August 1,2013 | 03:22PM