Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Showtime, other cable channels blacked out

By Erika Engle

LAST UPDATED: 04:25 p.m. HST, Aug 02, 2013

Oceanic Time Warner Cable has blacked out Showtime, The Movie Channel, Flix and the Smithsonian Channel in a dispute with CBS Corp.

Time Warner Cable systems around the country dropped the cable channels, as well as network-affiliated broadcast stations owned by CBS, beginning at 11 a.m. Hawaii time.

A Tuesday deadline had been extended until today, but the cable and broadcast giants have failed to reach a retransmission consent agreement, leading to the removal of the CBS-owned programming from the cable system.

There is no indication as to when the dispute might be resolved.

Approximately 85 percent of Hawaii television viewers depend on cable for television service, while direct broadcast satellite providers DISH Network and DirecTV split about nine percent of the market. Only about five percent of Hawaii's TV viewers receive programming over-the-air with no monthly subscription.

DISH subscribers lost programming from KGMB-TV, KHNL-TV and KFVE-TV at 7:55 p.m. Wednesday in a dispute between DISH Network and Raycom Media, the Alabama-based owner of KGMB and KHNL, which also operates KFVE under a shared services agreement.

COMMENTS

Cut the cord. Picture quality is superior and it's free TV!
on August 2,2013 | 12:53PM
loquaciousone wrote:
So is watching grass grow and counting sand.
on August 2,2013 | 01:17PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
You sound like fun.
on August 2,2013 | 03:18PM
allie wrote:
yikes..but we all are curious about the news and world!
on August 2,2013 | 01:19PM
RichardCory wrote:
Well, you see, there's this thing called the "Internet." Perhaps you've heard of it?
on August 2,2013 | 08:57PM
Kealii wrote:
loquaciousone's hobbies also include watching the Lambert glacier melt and having daily conversations with a broom stick. the life of a party, no doubt!
on August 2,2013 | 02:45PM
loquaciousone wrote:
You forgot polishing rocks and watering seaweed.
on August 2,2013 | 03:45PM
tiki886 wrote:
I prefer to gaze at my navel.
on August 2,2013 | 04:44PM
Toneyuki wrote:
My chesthairs are very interesting after a lot of drinks.
on August 2,2013 | 09:21PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
I can't see this going on for very long before CBS caves and accepts less.
on August 2,2013 | 03:21PM
Wazdat wrote:
time to switch to direct TV. Sick of Oceanic
on August 2,2013 | 03:28PM
Skyler wrote:
I gave them up a few years ago. Rather read what's online anyway - more dynamic, costs less, and I don't get 'lost' using the remote anymore.
on August 2,2013 | 11:07PM
Holomua wrote:
So much for Five-O.
on August 2,2013 | 04:09PM
aomohoa wrote:
I am pissed. I called and asked why should I pay the same amount when I can get 20% of the shows I watch. Of course they had no answer. I hope this is resolved soon. What a rip off.
on August 2,2013 | 04:19PM
8082062424 wrote:
i just called them the will credit the account from today.
on August 2,2013 | 04:43PM
BlueDolphin53 wrote:
I have no problem with the hard line Time Warner is taking. Broadcaster's ratings drop every year. They are not as profitable as they once were with advertisers not willing to shell out as much money to run ads. So how do they try to make it up? By gouging cable and direct satellite operators with ridiculous licencing fees, which of course will then be passed on to us. Keep these channels off the air. No big loss anyway.
on August 2,2013 | 04:58PM
kiheilocal wrote:
I love my rabbit ear tv stations
on August 2,2013 | 05:00PM
JFWhite wrote:
Wake up, People. It's all streaming for you on-line. TV shows, news, sports; it's all there. Local NEWS: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/category/198303/act-test-headline. So much more.
on August 2,2013 | 06:09PM
Iuki wrote:
Is Hawaii affected? Our channel 7 is still on through Oceanic. We quit subscribing to Showtime and all other movie cable channels except for HBO. Just too expensive already.
on August 2,2013 | 06:16PM
aomohoa wrote:
But you can't watch shows on your computer when you want to.
on August 2,2013 | 07:05PM
kailua000 wrote:
I would like a credit to my account. Lines were busy all day. Will I get a credit to my account?
on August 2,2013 | 06:18PM
kailua000 wrote:
get Chromecast $45 Get Roku 3 - $95 - the heck with all these cable providers. turns our TV into a "smart tv" and you can literally get pretty much any TV stations free or with a small monthly fee (cost less than 1/4 of what I was paying for Direct TV) I hope to heck they put the cable channels out of business
on August 2,2013 | 06:21PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
Because Oceanic controls about 85 percent of the consumers they wield a whole lot of power. If Raycom Media, for example, were to block transmission of KGMB, KHNLand KFVE, the advertisers on these channels would lose the 85 percent that these stations would otherwise be transmitting to. If the advertisers are not going to reach the 85 percent of the viewership, they are not going to pay these stations the same amount. Thus, Raycom Media will be losing out on their income generator. And I can see how they will have to give up on their demands. Although I am not an Oceanic tv viewer anymore due to my switch over to Dish Network, I do have friends that continue to subscribe to them due to their need for Oceanic's internet service and do not have access to Hawaiian Telcom's service. Many of my friends have expressed an interest in Dish Network due to the costs and if Oceanic caves in to the demands of these media giants they will end up passing on the cost to an already cash strapped viewership.
on August 2,2013 | 07:23PM