Quantcast

Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 294 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Prosecutor pushes Deedy on why he didn't walk away

By Ken Kobayashi & Craig Gima

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:34 a.m. HST, Aug 08, 2013


Christopher Deedy faced cross-examination today from city Deputy Prosecutor Janice Futa who repeatedly pointed out times when the State Department special agent could have walked away before the deadly confrontation with Kailua resident Kollin Elderts.

Futa began her cross-examination of Deedy this afternoon on the second day of Deedy’s testimony in his murder trial.

Futa, like Deedy’s defense attorney Brook Hart, went over the Waikiki McDonald’s security camera video of the Nov. 5, 2011, confrontation frame by frame.

But unlike Hart, Futa focused on points in the confrontation where Deedy might have walked away and whether Deedy believed Elderts had actually committed a crime.

“Did you tell the security guard, ‘Hey I think something is going to happen here, call the police?’” Futa asked.

Futa asked if Deedy noticed the McDonald’s workers joking with Elderts and Elderts’ friend Shane Medeiros.

She questioned Deedy about what he actually heard of the conversation between Elderts and Medeiros and customer Michel Perrine at the McDonald’s counter and whether he really needed to get involved.

“You don’t know whether they were talking or joking,” Futa asked.

“I saw Mr. Perrine turn to Mr. Elderts when he said, ‘just leave me alone.’” Deedy said during the questioning.

“He wasn’t being bothered by anything anybody said as far as you could see?” Futa continued.

“I saw Elderts again turn to him, Mr. Perrine, and say something. I saw Mr. Perrine did not respond. … To me it looked intentional, like he was purposely not responding,” Deedy said.

“At this point in time, no crime had been committed, correct?” Futa asked — a question she repeated throughout her questioning over the afternoon.

Deedy said he was not sure that he could leave the McDonald’s safely and that he felt responsible for the other people in the restaurant because of Elderts' aggressive behavior.

Futa showed a portion of the video and noted that Deedy’s friends Jessica West and Adam Gutowski were leaving the restaurant and that West came back in and grabbed Deedy’s arm, as if to pull him away.

“When she came back inside the McDonald’s, she told you, ‘Let's go,’” Futa asked.

“I was interacting with Mr. Elderts, I didn’t hear her say anything to me,” Deedy responded.

“You could have just walked out with Jessica West and not put anyone in danger is that correct,” Futa asked.

“He had just threatened to hurt me. If i had walked to his left or right, I don’t know what would have happened.” Deedy said.

As the questioning over the events in the video continued, Deedy said, “this whole thing happened in maybe a minute and a half between the time I started talking to Mr. Elderts and when the last shot was fired. … I have watched this video hundreds, if not more times. I see it when I close my eyes and when I try to go to sleep, try. I see these events over and over.”

In the morning session, Deedy testified that he had to consider using deadly force after Elderts knocked him to the floor and continued assaulting him.

He said in his law enforcement training he was taught that being knocked to the ground in an assault “is one of the worst situations” for an officer.

“We’re trained that when an officer is taken to the ground, we should be prepared to use deadly force,” Deedy said.

He said during the fight, Elderts knocked him over and as Deedy rose, he saw Gutowski, his formercollege roommate, bleeding and being punched by Medeiros.

Because of the threat to Gutowski and the size and strength of Elderts and Medeiros, “the totality of all the circumstances here, I needed to respond with the deadly force option,” Deedy said.

“I escalated the threat of deadly force,” Deedy said. “I didn’t use it. I issued a command and warning for him to stop.”

“What was it that you expected to happen?” asked Hart.

“I hoped, I prayed that he would stop.”

“Did he stop?”

“No.”

Deedy said Elderts reached for Deedy’s gun and grabbed the special agent’s wrist.

Elderts knocked Deedy to the ground with his left hand on Deedy’s gun. With his right hand, Elderts began punching him, Deedy said.

“As he did that, I was trying to put my gun in a position where I could take a shot,” Deedy said. “Elderts hand came off my wrist, I took two shots.”

Deedy said at the time of the shooting, “It was so vivid. As I said, we were standing there, my gun was drawn. It was like time stood still. This was going by, I know it was only seconds, but to me it seemed like hours.”

During his testimony, Deedy took off his blue blazer, got on the courtroom floor and demonstrated for the jury what he was doing while on the ground and what Elderts was doing on top of him.

In his questioning, Hart took Deedy through the McDonald’s security camera video of the incident and asked him to explain what was happening in frame-by-frame detail. Hart also played a bystander’s cell-phone video that showed Deedy trying to revive Elderts.

Hart ended his questioning shortly after the trial resumed in the afternoon after a lunch recess.

In her initial cross-examination, Futa questioned Deedy about State Department polices over the use of deadly force and consumption of alcohol.

Futa asked if State Department police prohibits the consumption of alcohol for six hours prior to carrying a firearm.

Deedy replied that it does while “on duty.”

She asked Deedy if he saw any Hawaii state or federal laws being broken when he approached Elderts and Medeiros.

Deedy replied that he did not see any laws being broken.

Futa noted that the policy says that deadly force should not be used on “mere suspicion of a crime.”

She questioned Deedy about warnings before the use of deadly force, pointing out that they need be loud and clear enough so the suspect and people in the area can hear them and that alternatives to deadly force must be used if reasonably available.

“Retreat is an alternative to using deadly force is it not?” Futa asked.

“Yes, that’s correct,” Deedy replied, adding, “Retreat is sometimes an option not always an option.”

Deedy spent more than four hours on the stand Tuesday describing in detail his training as a special agent, his expertise in firearms, and his account of the events leading up to his shooting of Elderts at the McDonald's on Kuhio Avenue.

Under questioning by Hart, Deedy told the jury about the confrontation that led to the fatal shooting. But court adjourned Tuesday afternoon before his testimony reached the point of the actual shooting.

In his Tuesday testimony, Deedy portrayed Elderts as an aggressive and belligerent man who was apparently drunk and who challenged him to a fight before the agent kicked him to ward off an assault.

But Deedy said Elderts countered the kick, grabbed the agent's heel and pulled away a slipper.

The agent testified that based on his training as a law enforcement officer, it was an "Oh no moment" because it meant that Elderts knew how to fight.

"If somebody uses a countermaneuver against your defenses, it means they could very well know what they are doing," the agent testified.

Moments after the kick, Deedy pulled out his 9 mm Glock and fired three shots, including a fatal bullet to Elderts' chest.

Deedy, 29, is accused of shooting Elderts without justification.

According to the prosecution, Deedy had been an agent for only about two years and did not identify himself as a law enforcement officer. 

Instead, Deedy drunkenly threatened to shoot Elderts in the face and aggravated the confrontation with the kick and later drawing his weapon, prosecutors maintain.

Deedy's defense is that he relied on his law enforcement training, identified himself, then drew his gun when Elderts became more aggressive.

The defense contends the third and fatal shot hit Elderts in the chest as he grabbed the agent's gun. 

Police testified the other two shots hit restaurant walls.

Deedy several times testifies that he had to process what was happening based on his law enforcement training to deal with what he believed was Elderts' escalating aggression.

"My brain was going in a thousand directions," he testified.

Deedy said he had arrived in Hono­lulu the previous afternoon to provide security at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference. 

He spent that night and early morning with Gutow­ski and West visiting bars in Chinatown during First Friday festivities and two bars in Waikiki.

He testified he had about four beers between 8:45 p.m. and 2:15 a.m.

"I make it a habit to keep track of what I'm drinking," Deedy said. "I always try to drink responsibly."

Deedy said he tries to limit his drinking to about one beer per hour so that he can drive and because he carries a gun.

He said he didn't feel he was under the influence of alcohol and testified that he felt "normal" and "good."






 Print   Email   Comment | View 294 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(294)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
jess wrote:
Typo: Under questioning by his lawyer Brook Hart, Elderts told the jury about the confrontation that led to the fatal shooting. But court was adjourned before his testimony reached the point of the actual shooting.
on August 7,2013 | 08:58AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
I don't think Elderts has a lawyer. Not where he's at anyway.
on August 7,2013 | 09:19AM
Shh wrote:
That would be hard for Elderts to tell anything to the jury since he is the person that was shot and not alive to say his side of the story.
on August 7,2013 | 10:00AM
kainalu wrote:
I simply add "while under the influence of alcohol" to every thing he has to say. That is a fact: he had been drinking - period.
on August 7,2013 | 09:00AM
Manoa2 wrote:
Imagine if people could carry guns-- like the gun nuts want-- and police on duty or off were not allowed to carry guns or use them to defend themselves-- police will not help you in situations like this. So Elderts could defend himself by either using his own gun or taking Deedy's. Right to carry guns into bars or any place, means many more people shot and killed in confrontations like this, with everyone claiming self defense.
on August 7,2013 | 10:57AM
saveparadise wrote:
Manoa, not sure what you are trying to say but in the mean time our criminal population continues to grow. How do you propose law abiding citizens defend themselves?
on August 7,2013 | 12:38PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
How many gun murders in Honolulu in 2012 or 2013? No cause for second amendment CC gun nuts to set roots in Hawaii. Only those with money to buy a gun and get $$ certified will carry. The poor, they will be the victims.
on August 7,2013 | 12:48PM
bumba wrote:
If someone breaks into my house I want the right to shoot him. It is a right afforded by many other states.
on August 7,2013 | 03:50PM
Grimbold wrote:
The poor are those who commit most crimes. The "rich" have the lowest crime rate.
on August 7,2013 | 04:36PM
sailfish1 wrote:
Do you think criminals buy their guns at a gun shop?
on August 7,2013 | 08:31PM
Mythman wrote:
You see, as a progressive liberal who gives himself away with the use of the word "imagine", well, anything is possible when it's a hypothetical. Go back and listen to your John Lennon recordings and think of Mark David Chapman living in Waikiki......
on August 7,2013 | 02:17PM
HD36 wrote:
Hitler outlawed guns among the citizens of Nazi Germany so that an unarmed citenzery could not rise up against the government.
on August 7,2013 | 07:19PM
Slow wrote:
Irrelevant.
on August 8,2013 | 07:00AM
sailfish1 wrote:
Not everyone will be given the right to carry a gun. They do perform background checks. A guy like Elderts with a criminal record will not given the right to carry.
on August 7,2013 | 08:28PM
kelbells34 wrote:
I hope the prosecution asked every witness, "What point, if any, did you feel you were in danger?" Was that before or after Special Agent Christopher Deedy intervened? AND again, who drank those 9 shots? Did anyone else see Deedy's bar receipt from Moose McGillicuddy's? I swear it had 9 shots and some beers. I think 3 beers. He can deny consuming the shots, but I wonder if the receipt was/will be shown to the jury.
on August 7,2013 | 08:23PM
jess wrote:
Deedy: "I always try to drink responsibly..." Then why were you drinking with a gun? It's illegal to drink and drive because a car is a dangerous weapon (drunk or not) and one's cognitive abilities are hindered while under the influence of alcohol. A gun is also a dangerous weapon, drunk or not. Drinking with a gun on your person is just as irresponsible, if not more irresponsible, than drinking and driving.
on August 7,2013 | 09:01AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Actually, it's against the law to drive over .08 or while impaired. Simply consuming alcohol and driving is legal. So is drinking and carrying a gun despite the public's protest.
on August 7,2013 | 09:08AM
jess wrote:
It takes two beers to get over .08. I didn't say that carrying a gun and drinking was illegal, just irresponsible.
on August 7,2013 | 09:14AM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
I would imagine there would be some objectivity in your last statement considering the size of the person, the amount of food consumed, the time in which the 2 beers were consumed. But, to simply say it only takes 2 beers is on you, other people it may be 3 or 4 or more. But, you are right that it was irresponsible.
on August 7,2013 | 09:24AM
allie wrote:
It was more than irresponsible. It was reckless, dangerous and wrong. I vote manslaughter or reckless endangerment. Madieros was egging Elderts on for his own entertainment. I see that all the time. Deedy, being a 'trained" officer should have just ignored Elderts' taunting and vile racism.
on August 7,2013 | 09:55AM
kgolfinghawaii wrote:
Luckily you don't a "vote" since it is a jury trial and they actually are supposed to make their decision based upon facts not what people like you '"feel".
on August 7,2013 | 10:45AM
jess wrote:
This isn't an election, you can't "vote manslaughter or reckless endangerment".
on August 7,2013 | 10:53AM
lee1957 wrote:
You vote? Are we having an election?
on August 7,2013 | 11:33AM
Mythman wrote:
Feminine narcissism feels ----
on August 7,2013 | 02:19PM
Mythman wrote:
On the charge of murder: Not Guilty.
on August 7,2013 | 02:20PM
Venus1 wrote:
Agree!! He should not have been drinking to the extent he was! He was hired to come here for a purpose! That purpose did not include drinking... Carrying a gun and then geting into altercation with a local!!! The killing a local!!! He belongs in jail!!!!!
on August 7,2013 | 07:31PM
scooters wrote:
allie is off his/her rocker..too much Happy Smoke..
on August 7,2013 | 07:56PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "Actually, it's against the law to drive over .08 or while impaired. Simply consuming alcohol and driving is legal. So is drinking and carrying a gun despite the public's protest."

Carrying a gun while drinking is unquestionably a violation of his own agency's firearms policy. It was probably the first terrible decision he made that night.


on August 7,2013 | 09:47AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
You keep stating this yet it has nothing to do with anything.
on August 7,2013 | 10:06AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "You keep stating this yet it has nothing to do with anything."

Sure it does. Deedy's testimony is all "policy" this and "my training" that, but when it came to ACTUALLY following his own departments firearm policy he showed complete disregard and astoundingly poor judgement.

He claims he was going armed BECAUSE it was State Dept policy. He choose to ignore the part about not drinking alcohol while going armed. It's not complicated.

The State Dept firearm policy is not optional and while Deedy is claiming that he was acting as a law enforcement officer, the State Dept obviously doesn't think Deedy was acting on their behalf, and as much as you try to minimaize it as "not being against the law," it is a huge deal.


on August 7,2013 | 10:34AM
control wrote:
irrelevant. you can't convict someone because of astoundingly poor judgement (you can fire him though) or going against department policy.
on August 7,2013 | 11:33AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
control wrote: "irrelevant. you can't convict someone because of astoundingly poor judgement"

Actually you can. Take for example the case of a babysitter who leaves their baby's stroller on a steep hill while they pop into Starbucks to grab a cup of coffee. There's no law against leaving a stroller on a steep hill, yet if someone did that and the baby died, there would likely be manslaughter charges BECAUSE of their astoundingly poor judgement.

Now consider the case where an unbiased witness heard the babysitter say, "I'm going to leave that baby's stroller on a steep hill and let it get killed when it rolls into traffic." Once again, leaving a stroller on a steep hill isn't illegal but you could make strong argument for premeditation and murder of a legal act.

The point is, just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't a terrible idea and can't get somebody killed.


on August 7,2013 | 03:15PM
MKN wrote:
Kalaheo1 is correct. However, for this case, Murder 2 so far seems like a stretch. If Deedy was charged with Manslaughter, the prosecution would have a very strong case and would likely win since the burder of proof by the prosecution is significantly lower than Murder 2. If Manslaughter isn't a possible choice by the jury, there's a real possibility that Deedy might be acquitted. It's clear that he exercised very poor judgement when attempting to handle this situation and it spiraled out of control leading to Elderts death. What the prosecution fails to mention is that either side could have walked away. Not just Deedy. As I said before, lots of mistakes from both sides.
on August 8,2013 | 01:11AM
lee1957 wrote:
Breaking policy and breaking the law are two separate issues.
on August 7,2013 | 11:34AM
Mypualani wrote:
Yes they are two separate issues, but these two issues collided that morning. And thus this mess.
on August 7,2013 | 11:45AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Kailuakraz, drinking while armed policy has something to do with it. The State Dept. Will can his butt because of it. If they say it's okay, Att. Michael Green goes after them. Either way, Deedy loses.
on August 7,2013 | 12:52PM
kainalu wrote:
It has everything to do with it, Kailuaraised.
on August 7,2013 | 04:37PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Actually Kailuaraz, you are wrong on several counts. If your under 21, any amount of alcohol in your system from .01 to .08 is arrest able for DUI. Also because school bus drivers and commercial operators are held to a different standard, .04 is the mark. Like commercial drivers, armed officers, out on the town should be held to a lower standard, like .04, after all they are the ones carrying a deadly weapon. That's why the State Department had a policy on drinking and carrying. That same policy will boot Deedy from employment.
on August 7,2013 | 01:41PM
kainalu wrote:
Not as a Federal Officer, however, Kailuaraised. It's against policy for a FO to drink while packing.
on August 7,2013 | 04:36PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Policy and federal law are not the same thing. It's not illegal to do.
on August 7,2013 | 05:55PM
LadyNinja wrote:
I truly hope Mr. Deedy is found innocent or that the case is thrown out for good. There are too many conflicting testimony that make it almost impossible for the jury to decide a verdict.
on August 7,2013 | 09:08AM
lookup wrote:
What is conflicting about it? Fact Deedy's statement that "If somebody uses a counter maneuver against your defense, it means that they may verywell know what they are doing." 1st of all the maneuver -kicking Elderts, was not a defensive maneuver, it was offensive. Unless Deedy felt that he needed to defend the WORDS of Elderts with a kick. Then if Deedy being a trained agent wanted to defuse the situation why was he not able to physically restrain Elderts? Where was his handcuffs? It seems the Federal Agent was afraid of the local Braddah who although intoxicated was quicker and stronger than he was, thus the "oh no moment".
on August 7,2013 | 09:30AM
control wrote:
person testified on monday that the kick was taught to fed agents to diffuse a situation if the person (elderts) appeared aggressive or appeared to move forward towards deedy. just because someone is trained doesn't mean that he can physically restrain someone.
on August 7,2013 | 11:37AM
lookup wrote:
What does it mean? That a trained Fed agent should shoot and kill a person who had a wise mouth and was trying to defend himself as he was being threatend to be shot in the face. Was this Fed Agent not trained in hand to hand combat?
on August 7,2013 | 01:34PM
stingray65 wrote:
No! Federal Agents are not! Seal Team are! And the do not waste bullets too.!
on August 7,2013 | 02:12PM
Mythman wrote:
The Agent sized up the perp's intent to take his weapon and turn it against him and also perhaps others, as indicated by the perp's buddy beating up the frat friend and the perp beating up the agent......
on August 7,2013 | 02:22PM
false wrote:
Deedy was trial and jury with his bang "make".
on August 7,2013 | 06:39PM
cojef wrote:
Sorry about conflicting stories. That is he juror's responsibility to determine the facts that pertain to the law and how it applies and whether the testimonies and evidence of the case is sufiicient to render a judgement to convict or acquit the accused.
on August 7,2013 | 09:33AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
LadyNinja wrote: "I truly hope Mr. Deedy is found innocent or that the case is thrown out for good. There are too many conflicting testimony that make it almost impossible for the jury to decide a verdict."

If you mean that Deedy's version of events differs from unbiased eyewitnesses then you have a point. The fact that Deedy's account and the account related by unbiased witnesses differs is probably NOT a good reason to throw out the case.


on August 7,2013 | 09:52AM
control wrote:
you have to understand, in order to convict for murder there it has to be beyond reasonable doubt. there is already doubt on who to believe. possible for manslaughter but again it depends on who you want to believe. as for throwing out the case, it all depends on the charges, if it is just murder 2 then there is a lot of doubt, but for reckless endangerment or assault or even manslaughter then it will be up to the jury to decide.
on August 7,2013 | 11:50AM
saveparadise wrote:
You are innocent till proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. NOT, guilty till proven innocent beyond a reasonable doubt. By all the arguments in just this forum you can obviously see there are many reasonable doubts and conflicting testimonies. Not guilty followed by a wrongful death lawsuit which will run Deedy bankrupt. He will pay in some way or form.
on August 7,2013 | 12:30PM
control wrote:
after paying hart and his other lawyers he might not have much to go after. Elderts family would probably make a lot more going after the government IMHO.
on August 7,2013 | 12:41PM
Hodad wrote:
Doesn't the government have sovereign immunity?
on August 7,2013 | 12:47PM
cojef wrote:
He was off duty so that should make some difference. However, civil courts have a propensity to be generous with the Government's money.
on August 7,2013 | 03:07PM
Kauai2011 wrote:
I'm just glad that you are not on the jury!
on August 7,2013 | 10:07AM
lee1957 wrote:
It's called reasonable doubt and I agree.
on August 7,2013 | 11:35AM
stingray65 wrote:
Lady, there is no conflicting what so ever. He should only fired one shoot, one kill!! waste too many bullets.. waste of tax payer money.
on August 7,2013 | 02:09PM
pcman wrote:
IRT LadyNinja on Deedy. Evidently you have never served on a jury for a serious crime. You can't just wish there were no conflicting testimony. That's what the court trial is all about. From my experience the conflicting "facts" cancel themselves out. You then go with the remaining facts. Like in this case: Deedy and Elderts got into a fight. Both were under the influence of alcohol. Deedy kicked Elderts but that was not enough to stop Elderts. Deedy had a gun. Elderts did not have a gun. Deedy shot and killed Elderts. Not only was Elderts threatened, but everyone there were 'recklessly endangered" by Deedy shooting up the place, as anyone else could have been shot. Anything else, what coulda, woulda, shoulda, does not count in a trial. If all agree to acquit, Deedy walks. If there is any disagreement, and a mistrial is declared, Deedy can get tried again, until he is acquitted or found guilty.
on August 7,2013 | 02:42PM
lee1957 wrote:
You sound more like a lawyer than a juror.
on August 7,2013 | 04:45PM
Shh wrote:
In the video, it looked like people were trying to stop Deedy from approaching Elderts.
on August 7,2013 | 09:23AM
control wrote:
the video was only a montage of pictures taken every few seconds, we do not know what transpired the whole time, nor do we have any audio of what happenned. people can look at the video and come up with differing opinions.
on August 7,2013 | 11:38AM
Shh wrote:
Oh sorry I meant the live stream. I watched it when it was live.
on August 7,2013 | 02:02PM
bleedgreen wrote:
I question Deedy's mental state. He was primed by associates to think that he most likely will encounter problems in Hawaii, "so be on the alert." So his mental state, or I should say his attitude was to prepare for problems. When it did, his training kicked into gear. He reverted to deadly force, as he is trained. By his testimony, "If somebody uses a counter-maneuver against your defenses, it means they could very well know what they are doing," the agent testified. "Moments after the kick, Deedy pulled out his 9 mm Glock and fired three shots, including a fatal bullet to Elderts' chest." So the question is whether the situation compelled him to use deadly force.
on August 7,2013 | 09:24AM
allie wrote:
Was being anxious about racial violence out here really irrational. This place reeks of it.
on August 7,2013 | 09:57AM
Shh wrote:
Especially from you! We see it in every article you comment on. Stop hating on Hawaii and Hawaiians. Go back home if you hate it here. Smartest thing for you to do.
on August 7,2013 | 10:21AM
allie wrote:
I love Hawaiians. It is you who insists on racializing things. You love it.
on August 7,2013 | 11:14AM
jess wrote:
You say you love Hawaiians, but then you say pilau stuff like this: "Was being anxious about racial violence out here really irrational. This place reeks of it."
on August 7,2013 | 11:37AM
Shh wrote:
That's a lie! We all know you are racist! Your comments speak for themselves and your true colors come out strong! So don't say you love Hawaiians when we know you don't!
on August 7,2013 | 02:13PM
Grimbold wrote:
allie should say: I love law abiding Hawaiians and I hate the law breakers. There are lineages of law breakers and lineages of good Hawaiian families.
on August 7,2013 | 04:41PM
aomohoa wrote:
I'm glad I'm not eating while reading your comment allie. " I love Hawaiians." You have a weird way of showing it. All you do is say nasty things about Hawaiians. You do seem to like Tongan body guards though. LOL
on August 7,2013 | 04:42PM
Nevadan wrote:
Reminds me of the classic juvenile mentality that if you don't like it here, go (back) to Russia. Disagreement is healthy.
on August 7,2013 | 12:13PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Then be gone with you already.
on August 7,2013 | 11:11AM
allie wrote:
sorry..I am Native American and belong in Hawaii as much or more than you do
on August 7,2013 | 11:15AM
Shh wrote:
Oh so now you are trying to justify that you belong here more than someone else when we know you hate Hawaii? I don't think so, You belong where you came from.
on August 7,2013 | 03:02PM
kalai wrote:
Allie, a REAL native american does not act like you! Go home to North Dakota.
on August 7,2013 | 03:44PM
Grimbold wrote:
kalai , stop those infantile : go back.." statements. You would empty the island, since there are almost no pure blooded Hawaiians.
on August 7,2013 | 04:43PM
aomohoa wrote:
What does you being a Native American have to do with anything? Besides many believe that you are some old man pretending and getting paid by SA to stir things up.
on August 7,2013 | 04:44PM
Slow wrote:
I still get suckered into responding to "allie," but mostly, when I see the name, I skip to the next string. Ignore it and it will go away.
on August 8,2013 | 07:12AM
holokanaka wrote:
"this place reeks of it" if you truly want to see one of the sources of this "racial violence I strongly recommend the book Honor Killing by David Stannard. you will see real and raw racial violence. a well documented book. Massey Case
on August 7,2013 | 02:13PM
Mythman wrote:
I agree with Allie about racism being rampant while back on the mainland, it is nowhere near as palpable - the mainland seems to have gotten over it but there is something going on here that is keeping it alive here and I know what it is. Allie is picking up on it and is honest enough, in a simple straightforward way, to state it. I don't think she is trying to disparage us, she is only saying Hey, I'm from outside and look you guys there is something strange going on here in the eyes of an outsider, what's going on? I argue we should grant this as legit and our end of it should be to try to get a handle on what she is bringing to our attention.
on August 7,2013 | 02:27PM
Shh wrote:
She is the very one that is racist. Go...I want you to look back at some of the articles in the recent past and read what she says. You will see for yourself.
on August 7,2013 | 03:05PM
Peacenik wrote:
classic case of, she doesn't know whether she's coming or going'.
on August 7,2013 | 03:49PM
Grimbold wrote:
Rampant racism among young local men exist because their women are abandoning them, flocking to so many good attractive military guys with respectable jobs and income.
on August 7,2013 | 04:47PM
false wrote:
Give me a break. Such nonsense. A woman with a brain is looking for at least that much or more intelligence in the opposite specie. That's what really counts. Every other attribute becomes a question mark of sustainability. Not likely sustained.
on August 7,2013 | 06:47PM
Slow wrote:
Are you active duty? Or is this a dumb, yet cruel, joke?
on August 8,2013 | 07:25AM
false wrote:
She's just typical representation of what is so irritating. Knows it all.
on August 7,2013 | 06:45PM
Slow wrote:
Mythy, my boy, you've come with some classics before, but Hawaii is more racist than the mainland is the winner so far. A local friend moved to Idaho. He told me there was no racism. Everyone was white. I am interested in some of these racially harmonious places you have experienced.
on August 8,2013 | 07:22AM
false wrote:
Give me a break. Go away. Far away.
on August 7,2013 | 06:42PM
false wrote:
Deedy was programmed to set this up and pull it off. And he did. Be careful what you say about people, because "you make it so".
on August 7,2013 | 06:41PM
312guy wrote:
@bleedgreen: he was simply stating as to why the use of deadly force escalated quickly, law enforcement officers are instructed on the use of force how it can escalated and de escalated and only use that force which is neccessary to stop the action. Read debriefs on officers that have been involve in shooting incidents, they go thru a series of emotions after the incident. I'm a veteran and can tell you I know what he is talking about reliving his incident a McDonalds. I been a jury foreman and if I was on this Jury Agent Deedy would walk away a free man just on the facts.
on August 7,2013 | 07:02PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I think he'll walk. It's easy for everyone to play monday morning quarterback without being there. When you consider how fast a situation can change I think Deedy did the right thing.
on August 8,2013 | 01:53AM
Slow wrote:
I am glad you said it twice because it has never been apparent before: "I think..." Please try to do it again some day.
on August 8,2013 | 07:28AM
Shh wrote:
Wow the story seemed to go differently in the video from what Deedy was saying. It looked like Deedy was approaching Eldert's table and Jessica was trying to stop HIM from confronting the guys at the table.
on August 7,2013 | 09:31AM
lee1957 wrote:
Was there an audio portion?
on August 7,2013 | 11:37AM
Shh wrote:
To the video section, no. But I was commenting from the live court hearing as it was live.
on August 7,2013 | 02:16PM
kainalu wrote:
That's what I see. He continuously side-steps Jessica and she continuously put herself between them.
on August 7,2013 | 04:38PM
false wrote:
Thank you Shh, finally what is so obvious about Deedy pushing into Elderts space and then taking over. He created the outcome because he had the "power".
on August 7,2013 | 06:48PM
saveparadise wrote:
There are 2 personality traits running here. The anti police crowd and the tired of the bully crowd. The personalities of the jurors are sure to a major factor in the verdict. Testimonies are conflicting and forensics cannot prove or disprove motive only that the officer shot and killed a man. Who was the agressor? Verbal threats are just as good as a precursor to an assault. Do you stand your ground or stand there and do nothing and let another person knock you silly with the first blow? Do you swallow your foolish pride or fight to the death for no good reason other than someone calling you names? So what verdict will your sense of wrong or right allow? Not guilty followed by a wrongful death lawsuit?? Maybe...O.J. got off with worse......
on August 7,2013 | 09:39AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
I agree. All morality and people's opinions aside, it's hard for me to see murder beyond a reasonable doubt. Everyone has a different testimony and none of the evidence is concrete.
on August 7,2013 | 09:43AM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
The other trait is the anti-outsider crowd. We sometimes don't like to talk about it because of the racial overtones, but its very much out there.
on August 7,2013 | 04:16PM
hapaguy wrote:
There is also the "rule of law" people like myself that believe that you cant start a fight with someone by kicking them and then later when the victim defends themselves and starts to get the better of you, you pull out a gun and shoot them to death and claim self defense.
on August 7,2013 | 05:21PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Except Deedy simply did a defensive kick. Elderts choose to tackle Deedy not once, but twice.
on August 7,2013 | 05:57PM
Slow wrote:
A "defensive kick?" Defending what?
on August 8,2013 | 07:47AM
Mypualani wrote:
Here here Hapaguy, that has been my argument all along, Deedy made mistakes, took a mans life and must pay. I and others have be accused of being Elderts supporters. I support the laws in this case. Deedy's defense simply did not rise to the level of their claims of there being danger so Deedy had to intervene, his brand of intervention is what caused this mans life to be taken.
on August 7,2013 | 06:10PM
Shh wrote:
It didn't seem like Deedy said who he was when he had his hands up. It looked like he was trying to get ready for the fight. Wow, Watching the video and seeing the gun in Deedy's back pocket made me feel sad for Elderts because I know in the video that Elderts has no way now to defend himself from getting shot.
on August 7,2013 | 09:40AM
control wrote:
maybe if he didn't start the whole incident he would be alive today? you keep blaming deedy but elderts also had a hand in his demise.
on August 7,2013 | 11:40AM
Shh wrote:
Well if you watched the video from the live streaming at the courthouse then they took us through each step of the video and clearly it didn't look like Elderts started the fight. It clearly looked like Deedy did. I'm not saying that Elderts had no part in the fight. He did. He was shot and had no way of defending himself against a gun.
on August 7,2013 | 02:20PM
312guy wrote:
@shh -could elderts have done like the prosecutor asked of Agent Deedy was there any time that either of them could have or should have walked away? I know I would have If I saw A GUN!
on August 7,2013 | 07:15PM
Shh wrote:
Yes I believe there were moments. You should review the trial video so you can see the frame by frames and you would agree too that a big mistake took place that evening and really Elderts didn't have to die. No crime occured, no ones life was being threatened until Deedy approached Elderts and made the judgement of shooting him.
on August 7,2013 | 10:47PM
Mypualani wrote:
312guy, yeah you are right about that. Except for one thing, she cannot ask Elderts that question because he's dead! maybe she can get that psychic Sylvia Brown on the stand and ask the question. The prosecution in this case, proved the elements to manslaughter in MHO. Deedy did not meet the standards of self-defense, not by Hawaii state laws, Deedy claims he was being assaulted by Elderts as Elderts was sitting on the table. The prosecution asked how? " he was assaulting me with words and body posture" really? well Deedy's training taught him a lot! You cannot take someone's life on mere suspicion, Deedy had many opportunities to leave with his friends. He stayed because the whole time that Elderts was sitting there, "Elderts was a threat" the thing about this case that strikes me is, Deedy claims self defense, there was nothing to defend until Deedy kicks Elderts, (a defensive kick?) to what? words and perceived body language? by a trained LEO who was drinking responsibly?. Another thing that is very questionable is what about the un-biased witnesses? Defense claims all were wrong? their views on what they saw and heard varied but not to the point where the elements didn't match up. My vote is for man1
on August 7,2013 | 10:58PM
Slow wrote:
Mahalo, mypualani. You and ManekiNeko are two lonely voices of logic and reason. I appreciate your valiant attempts to lift the posts beyond "I think all punks deserve to be shot" mentality.
on August 8,2013 | 07:54AM
false wrote:
What are words? People talk trash everyday. How many times do we just ignore it. Cross the street. Go somewhere else.
on August 7,2013 | 06:50PM
st1d wrote:
as long as deedy's gun stays in his back pocket, elderts had nothing to worry about. he could have and should have stopped his aggressiveness and he would never have been shot.
on August 7,2013 | 12:11PM
Shh wrote:
True. I think if Deedy never used his gun then Elderts would still be alive today.
on August 7,2013 | 02:22PM
Poipounder808 wrote:
What a brilliant statement....LOL.
on August 7,2013 | 08:33PM
Shh wrote:
LOL Poipo! Sorry but just saying no other weapons were used but Deedy's. Crazy you!
on August 7,2013 | 10:49PM
Shh wrote:
I don't know. Elderts looked like he was trying to defend himself all the way through. It looked like he was being assulted by Deedy and trying to fight for his life against a gun.
on August 7,2013 | 09:47AM
control wrote:
that is what you see, others see something entirely different.
on August 7,2013 | 11:40AM
Shh wrote:
Yes that is what I saw of the video. They showed it frame by frame from the live streeming and Deedy's version of the story didn't seem to match up to the video. At least not in my eyes. I hope they show it frame by frame so those that missed it can see it for themselves. It looked like Deedy started the mess. Elderts was minding his business at his table.
on August 7,2013 | 02:25PM
false wrote:
Saw it only once and that's what I saw online. Agree with you Shh. Wish I could be in court. Wow, such a sad experience.
on August 7,2013 | 06:52PM
312guy wrote:
@Shh- I'll remeber that if you are ever in the same situation where you are being bullied by two I'll mind my own business I won't even call 911
on August 7,2013 | 07:18PM
Shh wrote:
Hey I didn't see Deedy getting bullied in the video...and the people you claim to be the bullies was not pushing that attitude from what I was watching. It seemed like the situation fizzled out and everything was cool until Deedy came over to start things up.
on August 7,2013 | 10:54PM
MKN wrote:
@Shh: It's hard to tell what exactly transpired in that restaurant because the camera takes 1 second interval pictures of the scene and there is no audio. You have to remember that the human eye processes images at 30 frames a second and we are only seeing 1 frame a second. We don't know what happened in the other 29 frames during each second, so what you are saying is speculation unless you were there as a witness.
on August 8,2013 | 01:26AM
Shh wrote:
If you are talking about the time it was shown during the trial then yeah frame by frame but they also showed it at the faster speed and still Elderts was no where near any of the guys and was sitting at the table waiting for his food.
on August 8,2013 | 02:51PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The same people who support Elderts are probably the ones who sit there like sheep when others commit crimes or start fights. They think being a racist bully is ok probably because they grew up around it and it's practically normal life in Hawaii. Just let people harass others and maybe if no one says anything they'll go away. Hawaii residents need to grow a backbone.
on August 8,2013 | 01:56AM
Slow wrote:
Yup. "Probably."
on August 8,2013 | 07:57AM
Mei mei wrote:
funny how you see Elderts defending him self, when Deedy was on the ground on the next frame and then the following frame his hand is gesturing Elderts to Stop - (arm extended out), then the the following frame Elderts is on Deedy again. hmmmm who is the aggressor?
on August 7,2013 | 03:15PM
Shh wrote:
Oh I'm sorry, to me that hands out movement was taken differently by me. Because it looked more like a guy walking over to start trouble...got his kick in somewhere and then after realizing that the person he kicked was able to hold his own then Deedy decided to (Arm extended out) to try to stop what he started. After you start a fight...don't expect to try to stop it by putting out your hands and saying stop! haha Too late for that!
on August 7,2013 | 10:58PM
Mypualani wrote:
Funny how you missed everything Deedy did before going to the ground.
on August 7,2013 | 11:01PM
MKN wrote:
@Mypualani: My question to you is, on what planet does the aggressor in any situation move backwards? That would be considered retreat. Not aggression. LOL!
on August 8,2013 | 01:32AM
Mypualani wrote:
I watched as the aggressor walked over to a table and threatened to shoot a man who was sitting down, and continued to stand there and exchange words, I watched Deedy's lady friend come back in and try to stop Deedy ( I tend to believe unbiased witnesses) I watched goofy Gutowski lunge at Elderts, pushed him back towards the bank machine, Elderts tossed him to the side and Deedy Kick Elderts. you see just like you Deedy fans I can pick and choose also.
on August 9,2013 | 08:33PM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
He doesn't look as crisp and confident as he did yesterday. Yesterday he looked like a GQ cover boy. Today, tie is crooked and hair isn't combed. Just playing court psychologist here.
on August 7,2013 | 10:04AM
hanalei395 wrote:
He's knows what's coming next .....the prosecution.
on August 7,2013 | 10:18AM
control wrote:
agreed, it will be interesting what the prosecution throws at him, possibly to get him to slip up.
on August 7,2013 | 11:51AM
george702 wrote:
As they say pictures speak a thousand words. Take another look at the video. From the beginning Deedy was predisposed to reaching for his gun. Even when he is separted by Ms. West, he tries to engage Elderts. In summary, Deedy became the aggressor and you can't create the conflict and then claim self defense if you are now getting the worse of it. No matter how articulate and rationale Deedy comes across, there can be no rational explanation as to his actions other than he felt empowered with his firearm, and no doubt when he was at a cross roads in choices, 1) either to de-escalate the situation or 2) escalate it, He chose to escalate it. Probably a bit of the alcohol impairing his judgment and thinking he would scare Elderts. I see a manslaughter conviction in Mr. Deedy's future. State can't prove the intent element. It was clearly reckless conduct that a self defense theory can't support.
on August 7,2013 | 10:44AM
Shh wrote:
Wow I noticed that too about Deedy. You can clearly see that Deedy was so anxious to grabbing his gun. He looked like he was just waiting for the time that he could use his gun.
on August 7,2013 | 11:05AM
allie wrote:
Deedy is guilty of reckless endangerment or manslaughter. He is indeed an immature, poorly trained recruit who was sent to a nothing conference in a nothing place. He should never have carried a gun and should have ignored Elderts' racist taunts.
on August 7,2013 | 11:17AM
control wrote:
sorry allie, he was told to carry 24 hours a day. as for ignoring elderts taunts, as an officer he felt he needed to diffuse a potential confrontation. we do not know if the interaction between elderts, medeiros and perrine would have escalated, we heard from medeiros of the staredown so anything was possible. deedy could have seen that and tried to react to try to diffuse the situation not knowing local customs and how to actually stop a local/h confrontation or what was perceived as a confrontation. acquit of manslaughter and murder.
on August 7,2013 | 11:45AM
Nevadan wrote:
Wrong. He was not told to carry 24 h per day. After-hours are optional. He will either end up in jail in paradise, or end up without the State Dept job, or both.
on August 7,2013 | 12:17PM
control wrote:
sorry, guess the SA is wrong because this is what they posted yesterday (if you cared to read the details yesterday) "Deedy testified that federal law allows him to carry a weapon and that the director of his agency issued an email instituting a 24-hour-a-day carry policy." yes he wasn't specifically told to carry here for APEC but he had authority to do so. whether he could drink and carry is only departmental policy and he will probably have to face his superiors on that.
on August 7,2013 | 12:38PM
Shh wrote:
Well there it is. In court he is not supposed to carry his gun while he was out drinking.
on August 7,2013 | 02:39PM
312guy wrote:
next thing you guys will be saying they should have kept him in bengazi libia and elderts would be alive
on August 7,2013 | 07:21PM
control wrote:
guess we must be looking at different videos because some of us don't see what you are seeing.
on August 7,2013 | 11:41AM
Mypualani wrote:
George I am with you on this. Manslaughter is better than this guy walking away from it all.
on August 7,2013 | 11:43AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
From all my expert training on firearm and weapons retention, Deedy is prepping to get onto a shooters stance throughout the confrontation. That kick you see, is a classic separation tactic used to create a 5 foot space between the shooter and victim. Problem is West is between them, and as Deedy said " it was my oh s hit" moment.
on August 7,2013 | 01:06PM
stingray65 wrote:
NanakuliBoss: Deedy big mistake was, he allowed the bully guy too close to him..should be two arm length and should not have to use more than one bullet!! If you have been to the field of real action, you would know what I am talking about.
on August 7,2013 | 02:23PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Well stingray, I guess Deedy should have just open fire in that seedy part of town, in a Mickey D, because it was full of bullies.
on August 7,2013 | 04:34PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
He should have shot Elderts instead of kicking him.
on August 7,2013 | 06:02PM
Slow wrote:
White power!
on August 8,2013 | 08:02AM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
If he indeed was trying to prevent a fight, why did he kick Elderts when he was not attacking him? Seems to me that he instigated the fight. Law enforcement officers are not trained to kick a suspect when he is not making any threatening moves. He has a lot of explaining to do and that very action may well be what will come back to haunt him. In the juror's mind, that action will not be repaired by his words as his actions speak louder.
on August 7,2013 | 11:04AM
allie wrote:
agree..he is a dud of an "agent." It shows how unimportant the conference was to have Hillary send such a poorly trained, reckless, irresponsible person here
on August 7,2013 | 11:18AM
control wrote:
obama was here so why are you blaming hillary?
on August 7,2013 | 11:46AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Obama was here alright. And the only thing that he accomplished is that he let on to the local people, in a subtle way,... he hates Aloha shirts.
on August 7,2013 | 12:23PM
control wrote:
he was good at riling up the black people after the zimm case. instead of uniting the country he actually caused more separation between blacks and whites IMHO. I regret voting for him, expected more from him.
on August 7,2013 | 12:43PM
stingray65 wrote:
CONTROL: Don't be sad, few more years and it's over for him..But ! Are we expecting the worst to come? Or what?
on August 7,2013 | 02:26PM
Nevadan wrote:
Indeed. On the other hand, he is strongly pro-illegal immigrants, who steals jobs from black youths, whose unemployment rates are 34%. It is all political: It's the Hispanic vote. stupid.
on August 7,2013 | 03:19PM
roofustherhino wrote:
As other posters are saying here, go back and look at the video. If Deedy did properly identify himself as a law enforcement officer and is attempting to keep the peace, why is his lady friend Jessica West trying to stop him? She said he identified himself as an officer. Yet, she still tries to hold him back? Why would she attempt to stop an officer from keeping the peace? The story that the defense is trying to create does not line up with what the video shows.
on August 7,2013 | 11:10AM
control wrote:
we need an audio to hear what went on, we don't know the timeline or exactly what went on leading up to the shooting. the video can be interpreted any which way someone wants.
on August 7,2013 | 11:47AM
roofustherhino wrote:
No, I disagree. There is NO REASON for a civilian to attempt to stop a law enforcement officer from doing their duties. If Deedy is telling the truth, then Jessica West could have potentially been obstructing justice. If West was friends with Elderts, then I can see her trying to hold back a cop, and then she would have been arrested for touching a police officer. But to have the officer's own friend attempt to hold him back? When his life and the general public is in danger as they claim? Not possible.
on August 7,2013 | 12:06PM
control wrote:
I'm glad that you are all knowing and know exactly what went on that night. guess if it were important then the prosecution will also bring that up when they cross examine deedy but if they don't bring it up then it wasn't an issue. we'll have to see when the prosecutors have their turn.
on August 7,2013 | 12:44PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Irt,roofusherhino, West held Deedy back, because she recognized he was the agressor. She didn't want him to fk up, to late.
on August 7,2013 | 01:14PM
312guy wrote:
@ NanakuliBoss i think she new that these two did not care about the law and or respect a law enforcement officer, typical young people without regard to the law. where are the good old days of the metro squads with their blckjacks
on August 7,2013 | 07:34PM
waikane75 wrote:
Agreed. Deedy's testimony is weak because its obvious from the video that he was the aggressor. If he had pulled out his badge, why didn't he show it to everyone who was involved and state it publicly instead of only showing it to Elderts.
on August 7,2013 | 11:47AM
Denominator wrote:
Are you serious? Maybe he should have yelled "FIRE" and cleared out the whole place. What's obvious is your distorted prejudice.
on August 7,2013 | 12:26PM
waikane75 wrote:
Deedy is claiming that he was acting as a law enforcement officer by referring to all of his "training" and "protocol" in his arguments but he was at a McDonalds at 2am, not dressed as an officer and probably "inebriated" despite his claims of drinking only ttwo beers otherwise he would have taken the alcohol test. If he was acting as an officer, he should've clearly identified himself to everyone involved including Medeiros, Byrd and the security guard. But nobody else saw the badge and when questioned about it yesterday, he was not confident about showing his badge and making sure that Elderts acknowledged seeing it.
on August 7,2013 | 01:15PM
pcman wrote:
IRT waikane on law enforcement. I agree. If Deedy knew the rules of law enforcement, he would have read Elderts his rights before trying to arrest him. He also should have known the laws of Hawaii which does not automatically allow the use of a gun for self defense out side of one's home. His life was not at risk at any time. Even Honolulu's finest would have subdued Elderts before drawing a weapon. Therefore, in my mind, he was not trained for law enforcement. Deedy, if he were a professional law enforcement officer, could have done many other things to diffuse the situation with Elderts.
on August 7,2013 | 03:04PM
lee1957 wrote:
Deedy trying to arrest Elderts? That's a new one.
on August 7,2013 | 04:56PM
hapaguy wrote:
No need try to arrest him when you can just pull your gun and shoot him to death!
on August 7,2013 | 05:24PM
Mypualani wrote:
Well to be fair according to Deedy he testified that no state laws were being broken until the very end when Elderts slapped his face. The prosecutor got the words out of Deedy's own mouth, Elderts was breaking no laws when he approached Elderts, when he kicked Elderts the only time Elderts broke the law is when Elderts gave Deedy a slap to his face. Because Elderts had assaulted a federal agent.
on August 9,2013 | 08:43PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
The security guard, marines, Gutkowski, Perrine, and other unbiased witness did not see a badge or " flap open wallet" or hear an announcement of authority. Even West did not specifically see the I'd or badge. All she seen was an open wallet. Watch the video, many customers flapped an open wallet that night.
on August 7,2013 | 01:18PM
lee1957 wrote:
Maybe he should have flashed it to the camera, eh?
on August 7,2013 | 04:54PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Did you see West physically push Deedy back almost in the same path he and Elderts fell to several seconds later? She actually push Deedy back 5 feet! So was this because he was intoxicated? Because he was.
on August 7,2013 | 01:11PM
Mypualani wrote:
Because he wasn't keeping the peace. Deedy was disturbing the peace when things have already settled down.
on August 9,2013 | 08:36PM
george702 wrote:
The "adrenaline dump" Deedy talks about is really more the moment where he realizes he just shot this guy and his panic to formulate his "story". What's going thru his mind at that point is 1) how many drinks did I have tonight? (knowing it's against policy to consume and carry 2) What can I say to prove this guy attacked me? It's easy for him to explain things in a vacuum and go frame by frame and put a rational spin on it, but his actions as shown on the video contradict what he is saying. Hopefully the jury relies on the video. Although looking at Elderts actions and knowing some of his history he seems like a lowlife, he didn't deserve to get shot. This is not justifiable use of deadly force. It would have been interesting if Elderts had managed to grab the gun from Deedy and shot him instead. I think Elderts would have had a better chance at self defense.
on August 7,2013 | 11:26AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Right george702, first on the checklist,Refuse a lawful request from HPD for a breath/alcohol test! All his "law enforcement" training and he "thugs" out of the test using a gangsters excuses"No", I want a lawyer? Hey Deedy, what did you have to hide if you only had 4 beers? Hissing through his teeth, matey!
on August 7,2013 | 01:23PM
lee1957 wrote:
I don't think anyone ever said he refused the breathalyzer because he wanted a lawyer. As reported, he requested to call his supervisor, was denied, so refused the breathalyzer.
on August 7,2013 | 04:59PM
hapaguy wrote:
He shouldn't have refused for ANY reason. He should have cooperated with HPD. That is of course unless he had something to hide....
on August 7,2013 | 05:25PM
Mypualani wrote:
He did have a lot to hide, he told the nurse at the hospital that he wasn't drinking. And all that blood that his little Gilligan buddy supposedly had from a 1 centimeter cut? The Doctors testimony was "I don't recall" and he seemed sober, how about that police officer first on the scene, he stated that Deedy seemed normal, until he got close enough to smell his breath.
on August 9,2013 | 08:49PM
HORRIBLEHARRY wrote:
How can an agency tell their law enforcement officer to carry 24/7 and also tell them not to drink. HPD requires their officers to carry 24/7. So unless there is clear and convincing evidence that Deedy was intoxicated, which was not presented by the prosecutor, then there is no evidence of him being intoxicated.
on August 7,2013 | 02:04PM
george702 wrote:
It's called liability. Alcohol Firearms Law Enforcement equates to big liability and payouts and higher taxes and more dead officers and/or innocent people. The evidence of his intoxication came from Deedy's actions and from his own words. Give or take a beer or two or three or four or five. But who's counting? Oh wait it's Deedy counting. Because he is so responsible when he is consuming alcohol and carrying his service glock 9 mm.
on August 7,2013 | 03:52PM
312guy wrote:
agree
on August 7,2013 | 07:38PM
Tahitigirl55 wrote:
I don't remember reading that Deely needed emergency treatment for his badly beaten body or face. The camera showed him with blood all over his clothes but no brusies on his face. I know his friend when to the hospital. Something is not right here. I hope Deely can sleep at night knowing that he lying. He was drunk and carrying a gun. What more do they need to know. It isn't self defense because Elderts had no gun. If fist to fist that is fair. Let God be the judge.
on August 7,2013 | 12:35PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Karma always steps into the picture. OJ is in prison. And the principal subject in the "Massie Case" later committed suicide.
on August 7,2013 | 12:44PM
Hodad wrote:
He had a broken nose. Don't you recall the ER doc testifying that Deedy was not impaired by alcohol?
on August 7,2013 | 12:50PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Hodad, doctor did not say that. He said I don't recall smelling alcohol. Doctor did not check or run a test for impairment,geez.
on August 7,2013 | 01:26PM
Mypualani wrote:
H said " he didn't seem impaired and he did not recall any smell of Alcohol. I wouldn't doubt it if that doctor twisted the truth.
on August 9,2013 | 08:52PM
lee1957 wrote:
Thank you for setting the record straight.
on August 7,2013 | 05:00PM
Tahitigirl55 wrote:
But Deedy said Elderts countered the kick, grabbed the agent's heel and pulled away a slipper. This statement is untrue. The video showed Deely push Elderts who fell on the floor and then threw his slipper at Deely. Liie - this whole story is just based on lies. I don't think Deely know how to tell the truth and nothing but the truth. Deely doesn't realie that local boys talk alot when drunk but mean no harm. Deely was just waiting to shoot Elderts just because he was local.
on August 7,2013 | 12:43PM
Mypualani wrote:
At Tahitigirl. Elderts also,used the forbidden "H" word with and f word .
on August 7,2013 | 05:46PM
312guy wrote:
is the H word the same as the N word hmmm
on August 7,2013 | 07:40PM
Shh wrote:
hehe sorry but wow...I don't know....the N word seems harsher. But think its best not use both.
on August 7,2013 | 11:01PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT 312guy, oh no the H word is much worse. because it is being used in a derogatory way towards......white people and the occasional albino too. Now put the F word in front of the H word and it's very bad....bad enough to get lose your life over.
on August 7,2013 | 11:14PM
Peacenik wrote:
eh, you grajawait from kinigaden?
on August 7,2013 | 08:04PM
Mypualani wrote:
you sure as heck didn't in fact I think that you are still stuck there.
on August 7,2013 | 11:15PM
myviewofthings wrote:
aquitted. Chee hoo
on August 7,2013 | 01:12PM
Mypualani wrote:
CONVICTED CHEEE HOOOO!
on August 9,2013 | 08:53PM
Superfatass wrote:
Hard to figure out this jury. Deedy, his friends that night, and his defense team obviously saying anything to get him off the hook. Elderts is dead and can't defend himself. So good chance agent Deedy gets away with murder. But will probably lose his position with the State Department for bar hopping armed and getting what appears to be a bar room brawl. A few observations, though. #1) Ben Finkelstein from the State Department warned Deedy of the local mentality. Guess that was ignored. #2) Agent Deedy went beer chugging that night armed. A violation of State Department rules. Unprofessional if not reckless. #3) Confronted a loud drunken elderts, who was sitting down waiting for his food, while also having drank alcohol himself armed with gun at Micky D's after 2:30 am. Nothing good happens in Waikiki after midnight my grandma told me. #4) Warned Elderts to knock it off or get arrested. Doesn't sound like a situation where a State Department man - here to protect Hillary Clinton and other big shots - had to immediately step in. And Perrine stated he never felt physically threatened and sat near and faced elderts while both were waiting for their food. #5) Marine Alexander Byrd (not friends of either party) testified he heard agent deedy threaten to shoot elderts in the face. My guess agent Deedy watches Clint Eastwood movies and was hoping and praying elderts would continue to mouth off. #6) Deedy's friend Jessica West (no doubt the smartest coconut of the entire bunch) got between deedy and elderts yet deedy continued to go after elderts. John Wayne never backed down in any of his movies. #7) Deedy kicked elderts like a dog. No sure where this is found in the State Department field operations manual. #8) Defense then argues Elderts was on top pounding deedy, claiming the third shot killed elderts. Seems the second shot hit elderts and when Elderts fell on deedy, deedy shot the 3rd bullet which missed and hit near the ceiling. #9) Refused to test for alcohol. So it ends up a long trial and we - the taxpayer - pays for Deedy'd high priced defense team since he's still employed by the State Department.
on August 7,2013 | 01:47PM
Slow wrote:
I have wondered about the pricey defense team. Are taxpayers paying for Brook Hart? Who gets to choose the defense? Is it usual for private practice attorneys perform this work instead of a legal staff federally employed?
on August 8,2013 | 01:57PM
Mypualani wrote:
No Hawaii isn't paying. Deedy has a website asking for money to support him. The State department is not backing him up on this so no money there, from what I read on another site his parents and other family members mortgaged their homes to get the money to bail him out and to help in his defense.
on August 9,2013 | 08:59PM
Hodad wrote:
To my Nanakuli friend. You are correct the ER doc testified that he didn't smell alcohol on Deedy. But he testify also testified that he didn't appear drunk (impaired.) "An emergency room physician testified that he did not recall smelling alcohol on Deedy's breath when he examined Deedy shortly after he arrived in handcuffs at the Queen's Medical Center. Dr. Kyle Perry said he noted in Deedy's medical record that Deedy showed no signs of distress, had normal coordination, was speaking in full sentences and could move without difficulty. When asked by the defense if he had any reason to believe Deedy was intoxicated, Perry said, "At that time, no, I did not." Deedy was taken to Queen's after complaining that his nose and jaw hurt. He was diagnosed with a broken nose. According to his medical record, he arrived at the hospital at 4:08 a.m. The shooting occurred around 2:45 a.m."
on August 7,2013 | 01:55PM
bluemoki wrote:
It may have taken another hour or more after arriving at the hospital to actually see the doctor. Have you been to an ER lately? Unless you are dying, they make you wait forever to see the doc. It's very possible that the effects of the alcohol had already worn off by the time the doc examined him. I'm surprised the prosecution hasn't asked what time it was when the doctor saw him.
on August 7,2013 | 03:10PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Hodad, you forgot to say that he had about 2 quarts of another mans blood saturated on him. Did the doctor ask where the blood came from?
on August 7,2013 | 04:44PM
george702 wrote:
Why is the prosecutor not objecting to hearsay regarding Adam?????? Geesh. It's almost as if she does NOT understand the rules of evidence. And even when she does object it's feeble and weak, and half the time she doesn't give a reason and the Judge is sustaining it. This will not help the State on appeal.
on August 7,2013 | 02:02PM
Mythman wrote:
Wow, Mr Editor, the reporting is getting really really sloppy - what is the reason for it? After Agent Deedy testifies to how the shots were fired in detail, when switching the story from his testimony to the prosecutors made up story, you use this line to make the switch, despite it was just shown to be false: "Moments after the kick, Deedy pulled out his 9 mm Glock and fired three shots, including a fatal bullet to Elderts' chest". What's going on here, Mr SA editor? I will be glad when the truth about the actual facts prevails over the rubbish that the SA and others have been trying to promote, in the tradition of how things are done here - Lies and more Lies......
on August 7,2013 | 02:15PM
lawman1175 wrote:
Cross examination...moment of truth...
on August 7,2013 | 02:22PM
Adam1105 wrote:
C'mon prosecutor. Only one question about not taking the alcohol test at the hospital. How about, "Can regular citizens refuse an alcohol test because they can't talk to their boss?"
on August 7,2013 | 02:47PM
312guy wrote:
you can refuse try it next time, as for calling his boss thats because he just shot someone/discharged his weapon
on August 7,2013 | 07:42PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The prosecutor is getting worked. Deedy is way too smart to get caught in a trap.
on August 7,2013 | 02:47PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Kailuaraised wrote: "The prosecutor is getting worked. Deedy is way too smart to get caught in a trap."

It is now 4:15. Do you still think that? He's trying so hard to get get "trapped" that he's coming across and weaselly and evasive.


on August 7,2013 | 04:18PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
And the prosecutor is coming off as incompetent. He had to correct her multiple times when she tries to get him to admit to something. I think it makes the prosecution look weak.
on August 7,2013 | 04:24PM
xxNOTxx wrote:
From what I saw, the Prosecutor is doing a pretty good job, as Deedy's credibility is fading every time he tries to answer her questions. Today was a day for the Prosecution--By the end of tomorrow the jury will see that Deedy's action of "deadly force" was not warranted, but it will also show that Deedy was the aggressor.
on August 7,2013 | 04:55PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Nah. I don't see it. It looks like the prosecutor is really reaching at times and Deedy always has an answer. That's all he needs. She hasn't caught him yet in anything that I've seen.
on August 7,2013 | 05:05PM
hapaguy wrote:
I agree. She pointed out several inconsistencies in his testimony and also caught him in some lies. Also, in his testimony he tried to portray himself as a Fed Agent in control and command of all the details but when she asked him specific questions that the answer to would be fatal to him he kept saying he didn't recall....She really is torching him and I am sure the jury is picking up on all of it....more eviscerating to come tomorrow...
on August 7,2013 | 05:09PM
xxNOTxx wrote:
You're correct--- the Prosecutor didn't have to reach that far today, cause most of Deedy's answers were helping the Prosector show the jury his true colors---THE AGGRESSOR.
on August 7,2013 | 05:32PM
lawman1175 wrote:
Interesting point. How is it that one's memory can be so sharp just prior to and just after the incident, yet be forgetful when confronted with a damaging question.
on August 7,2013 | 09:37PM
Shh wrote:
I totally agree! Today showed that Deedy's credibility and judgement was all wrong and went downhill every moment it he was on that stand.
on August 7,2013 | 11:06PM
Mypualani wrote:
Kailua not from what I saw, Deedy was getting testy and his answers were weak. I didn't know until today that I was assaulting my kids with words and body gestures though the years, I would give them threatening looks when they did not do their home work. The Prosecutor is very micro-meticulous, she is setting Deedy up for her summation to the jury, the questions that she is asking and at what point in the video will come back to haunt....
on August 7,2013 | 11:33PM
Mypualani wrote:
watched the live streaming, and Deedy is trying hard not to crack, he's getting testy and cannot recall a lot of things, He claimed on the stand that Elderts assaulted him as Elderts was siting at the table, Futa was like "huh!??? he did? Elderts said yes he assaulted me as he was sitting down, Deedy was assaulted with words and body postures. really? Hart is throwing everything in there. Talk about throwing sh*t and seeing what sticks. OMG this reminds me of that RuPaul drag race, where the bottom 2 are told "it's time to lip sink for your life" a real nail biter here.
on August 7,2013 | 11:24PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
The jury is watching a well versed smart Deedy. Well schooled, well prepped byHart. Every question, he has a clever answer. Money pays for the best. Expert CSI, flown in, best lawyers, a support website, ahhhhhh. Funny though, the well trained federal officer was not on the video that night. What we all saw was a drunk,aggressive overzealous,overbearing armed g-man.
on August 7,2013 | 04:52PM
Shh wrote:
I don't believe that Deedy had to use deadly force at all. Elderts was not using any weapons and did not appear to doing anything but trying to defend himself. Deedy should have left the gun he had on him back at the hotel locked up with his other gun.
on August 7,2013 | 02:49PM
Bully wrote:
I dont find Deedy to be credible.
on August 7,2013 | 02:53PM
Mei mei wrote:
ohh but you find the prosecutor's witness' credible ... i.e. Medeiros? his partner in crime? HA!
on August 7,2013 | 04:02PM
Mypualani wrote:
Actually I find the marines to be credible, Ms. Au to be credible and the video to be credible. The alleged victim in all this to be credible along with the cashier to be credible.
on August 7,2013 | 05:51PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I also find the security guard to be credible. She didn't see or hear Deedy indentfy himself and she only got concerned about violence after Deedy got involved. AND she asked him to take it outside.

And she didn't testify that Elderts ever threatened or represented a threat to anyone.


on August 7,2013 | 06:20PM
Mypualani wrote:
Well to be fair, Deedy did say that while Elderts was seated and across from the agent. Elderts was assaulting Deedy. This confounded the prosecutor, she asked can you tell me how? Deedy stated " he assaulted me with his words and his body posture" so what does giving someone the middle finger mean? OMG!!! I am guilty of assaulting countless people through the years. On these forums I learn so much and yet there are moments when I am in complete and utter confusion here.
on August 7,2013 | 11:41PM
bluemoki wrote:
"Deedy said at the time of the shooting, “It was so vivid. As I said, we were standing there, my gun was drawn." So he was STANDING, with his gun drawn, not on the floor trying to fight off Elderts after being knocked down? I think the video is the real evidence that proves what happened - Deedy approached Elderts while he was already seated and no longer bothering anyone, other people tried to stop him, he kept reaching for his gun in his back pocket, he was threatening Elderts by telling him he would shoot him. It looks to me like Deedy was the aggressor, not the other way around!
on August 7,2013 | 03:04PM
hapaguy wrote:
Yeah that good that you caught that. He did say that! Proof positive from Deedy's own mouth that he drew his gun first and starting shooting PRIOR to the scuffling for the gun....
on August 7,2013 | 05:27PM
Mypualani wrote:
there's no way around it so Deedy is gambling and taking his chances.
on August 7,2013 | 11:43PM
Macoy wrote:
This case would not have even gone to trial in any other state. Clear case of self defense. Waste of time and money.
on August 7,2013 | 03:08PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The prosecutor's office needs votes.
on August 7,2013 | 03:24PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT Macoy, Deedy has a support website, why don't you hop on over there.
on August 7,2013 | 11:47PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Macoy wrote: "This case would not have even gone to trial in any other state. Clear case of self defense. Waste of time and money."

I think this case as it was recorded on video and with damning eyewitness testimony would have gone to trial in any state.


on August 7,2013 | 04:13PM
Mypualani wrote:
Macoy wrote: This case would not have even gone to trial in any other state. Clear case of self defense. Waste of time and money. Well this is not any other state, and I agree with you about this being a clear case of self defense, only thing is the guy who was defending himself is dead. as for the waste you can thank Deedy for that.
on August 7,2013 | 11:46PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
You're right that it's not any other state. Any other state it would be business as usual. Dumb local fights cop and dies. No one blinks an eye.
on August 8,2013 | 01:42AM
Shh wrote:
"He hoped and prayed he would stop." Wow he was the one that walked over the Elderts, the one that threw the first blow (kick), and had then after realizing that he was going to get his butt kicked, took it upon himself again to use a deadly weapon against a person that was trying to defend himself.
on August 7,2013 | 03:12PM
Shh wrote:
He seems inconsistent with his answers as well about if he could hear the voices. OMG! He didn't hear and then he did and then he didn't. Just admit you didn't hear anything they were saying. To me it looked like they were joking around with the person at the register.
on August 7,2013 | 03:24PM
Hodad wrote:
"and you knew what "beef" means? jeez lady, my daughter in Charlotte knows what "beef" means in that context. Does she think that is strictly a pidgin term?
on August 7,2013 | 03:35PM
Mypualani wrote:
Well she had to ask, you see the testimony needs to come from Deedy's mouth where upon it is recorded for the record. Get it? people talking about the prosecutor being weak don't think so, his testimony will be used by the jury as evidence, along with everything else. Manslaughter 1 works for me.
on August 9,2013 | 09:10PM
t_faman wrote:
Did Deedy refuse to walk away because he was trying to impress his friends? What type of training did he receive in dealing with unruly persons? The way I read his job tile he's a security specialist, big difference from being a cop who deals with these type of situations everyday.
on August 7,2013 | 04:01PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Come on now, you all know this guy is going to walk.
on August 7,2013 | 04:17PM
Macoy wrote:
don't know how, with a local jury!
on August 7,2013 | 04:51PM
Mypualani wrote:
well half is Asian looking and the other half is Caucasian looking. blaming locals for an outcome that isn't even here yet. Mean da dope!
on August 7,2013 | 11:49PM
MKN wrote:
"Mean da dope!" That's what Elderts said when he took his first line of cocaine that day. LOL!
on August 8,2013 | 01:44AM
Mypualani wrote:
Or it could have been mixed in with the Marijuana joint that he smoked. That's how it's being used these days, they call it cocobombs. terrible stuff but yeah I get your point.
on August 9,2013 | 09:12PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Agreed.
on August 7,2013 | 05:06PM
Sid_Hartha wrote:
Imagine if Elderts had gotten the firearm away....
on August 7,2013 | 04:20PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Sid_Hartha wrote: "Imagine if Elderts had gotten the firearm away...."

Imagine if Deedy had left his gun in his pocket and walked out of there.


on August 7,2013 | 04:22PM
lee1957 wrote:
If I'm in that McD that night, with Elderts putting on his bully show, and an off duty law enforcement officer is present, I want him intervening, not walking away. There has been more than one instance in Waikiki where an Elderts clone lands a golden punch and ends a life.
on August 7,2013 | 05:05PM
hon2255 wrote:
imagine if Elderts wasn't a punk and behaved in a civil manner ,instead of harassing and bullying patrons in the restaurant, if you drunk and a punk , just go home ,do not go to a public place like a restaurant .
on August 7,2013 | 05:39PM
Slow wrote:
Imagine if the Dali Lama had been there ordering fries....It's fun to pretend isn't it?
on August 8,2013 | 09:10AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ slow yeah it is fun to pretend. LOL
on August 9,2013 | 09:14PM
Mypualani wrote:
yeah imagine, imagine if Deedy left with his friends.
on August 9,2013 | 09:13PM
dlauder1 wrote:
Seems to me as the only thing the prosecution is going for is that Deedy should have walked away. Deedy has said on multiple occasions that would be irresponsible. It's backed up by his training. Yet she continues to circle around to that same point over and over again. It's like she's trying to trick him into a different response. However, this guy is no dummy, and he's not going to get tricked. Regardless if I think he is guilty, I can't see any way Deedy is found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There's just not enough evidence, especially not by a one frame per second surveillance video with no audio (too many missing pieces by being one frame per second). Trying to determine the aggressor is a matter of opinion, but is next to impossible to prove.
on August 7,2013 | 04:42PM
Mypualani wrote:
Well she got him to admit that he could have left safely along with his friends.
on August 9,2013 | 09:15PM
hanalei395 wrote:
The jury just watched a flustering murdering punk going down in flames ...."I don't recall ...I don't recall ... I don't recall, etc.,etc." To be continued.
on August 7,2013 | 04:42PM
hapaguy wrote:
Deedy contradicted himself so many times. Here's one example: He said when someone reaches for their waistband its a sign of imminent use of force then later when the Prosecutor asked him if reaching for and putting his hand on his gun is an imminent use of lethal force he at first tried to twist her words then when she corrected him that the question was "is it an imminent USE of lethal force?" he said not its not....Deedy is such a liar....
on August 7,2013 | 04:55PM
xxNOTxx wrote:
I hope the Prosecutor will stay her course and ask the same question "Why didn't you just leave" on the frame where Jessica West is right in front of Deedy as they're standing right next to the side exit and Byrd is directly in front of Elderts 10' away. In that frame Deedy can't use his same lame excuse that he feared for his safety.
on August 7,2013 | 05:05PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Deedy "did not recall" that happening.
on August 7,2013 | 06:27PM
t_faman wrote:
Exactly, looks like he was trying to impress his friends, especially taking his firearm with him to go out drinking. To protect what? Typical 2 year rookie, acting like a veteran to show-off in front of his friends.
on August 7,2013 | 09:42PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
This is it. Deedy on the stand, fighting for his freedom, showing his intelligence and articulation, with his high-powered defense attorneys, All the big guns, up against a dimunitive, low-keyed government employee/local female attorney. It's David vs. Goliath, and I'm loving it. If Deedy is acquitted, he will have paid the price financially, emotionally and career-wise. That's good enough for me. Win or lose, this guy is done for.
on August 7,2013 | 09:44PM
hapaguy wrote:
I see on here all you Deedy supporters keep saying they can't convict Deedy because the Prosecutor has to prove their case beyond a "reasonable doubt" and because there is "doubt" in this case they should find him not guilty etc....well that is your problem right there is that you leave out "Reasonable". "There can still be a doubt, but only to the extent that it would not affect a reasonable person's belief regarding whether or not the defendant is guilty".....
on August 7,2013 | 05:04PM
Superfatass wrote:
Hard to figure out this jury. Deedy, his friends that night, and his defense team obviously saying anything to get him off the hook. Elderts is dead and can't defend himself. So good chance agent Deedy gets away with murder. But will probably lose his position with the State Department for bar hopping armed and getting what appears to be a bar room brawl. A few observations, though. #1) Ben Finkelstein from the State Department warned Deedy of the local mentality. Guess that was ignored. #2) Agent Deedy went beer chugging that night armed. A violation of State Department rules. Unprofessional if not reckless. #3) Confronted a loud drunken elderts, who was sitting down waiting for his food, while also having drank alcohol himself armed with gun at Micky D's after 2:30 am. Nothing good happens in Waikiki after midnight my grandma told me. #4) Warned Elderts to knock it off or get arrested. Doesn't sound like a situation where a State Department man - here to protect Hillary Clinton and other big shots - had to immediately step in. And Perrine stated he never felt physically threatened and sat near and faced elderts while both were waiting for their food. #5) Marine Alexander Byrd (not friends of either party) testified he heard agent deedy threaten to shoot elderts in the face. My guess agent Deedy watches Clint Eastwood movies and was hoping and praying elderts would continue to mouth off. #6) Deedy's friend Jessica West (no doubt the smartest coconut of the entire bunch) got between deedy and elderts yet deedy continued to go after elderts. John Wayne never backed down in any of his movies. #7) Deedy kicked elderts like a dog. No sure where this is found in the State Department field operations manual. #8) Defense then argues Elderts was on top pounding deedy, claiming the third shot killed elderts. Seems the second shot hit elderts and when Elderts fell on deedy, deedy shot the 3rd bullet which missed and hit near the ceiling. #9) Refused to test for alcohol. So it ends up a long trial and we - the taxpayer - pays for Deedy'd high priced defense team since he's still employed by the State Department.
on August 7,2013 | 05:06PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Acquit. The prosecution has nothing on him. He had an answer for everything. After his testimony and video showing him doing CPR and HPD just standing there it's obvious he is going to walk.
on August 7,2013 | 05:07PM
Mensore wrote:
Maybe someone made this comment already, can't read them all, but how can this fellow claim "not on duty" to be able to drink and carry a loaded federal firearm, but them turn around and insist he has a right to act like an "on-duty" officer based on his training?
on August 7,2013 | 05:25PM
hon2255 wrote:
It's not against the law for a off duty police officer to have a drink and carry a firearm.
on August 7,2013 | 05:41PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
But Deedy had four drinks IF you believe him all the times he said he had a beer in his hand but for whatever reason, choose not to drink it.

And drinking while carrying is a BIG violation of of his own dept's firearm policy, which is probably only one of fifty reasons why the State Dept is not defending him or acknowledging that he was acting under their authority.


on August 7,2013 | 06:26PM
hon2255 wrote:
and how many drinks did Elderts have, he was drunk and acting up, or punking up . Next time don't harass people, mind your own business and shut your trap .
on August 7,2013 | 09:10PM
t_faman wrote:
Shouldn't Deedy have minded his own business as well. One of the main witnesses, the person Deedy said that Eldert claims he didn't feel harassed. I hope Futa stresses this point in her closing.
on August 7,2013 | 09:49PM
Mypualani wrote:
Futa is lining Deedy up and prepping her summations for the jury, with every question she is asking of Deedy. I noticed to that while under cross he is making eye contact with the jury and talking to them at something's especially, when he needs to make up stuff, Lie big Lie enough and they may believe you.
on August 8,2013 | 12:04AM
Mypualani wrote:
hon2255 wrote: and how many drinks did Elderts have, he was drunk and acting up, or punking up . Next time don't harass people, mind your own business and shut your trap . It does not matter, Elderts is dead Elderts will never drink again or anything for that matter. Pay attention Hon, Deedy's friends was joking around and being loud and talking to people. Deedy had no problem with that. But his spidery senses kicked in when he witnessed e/m joking and laughing with the cashiers, He was concerned. yeah you tell others to mind their own business and to shut their trap, so what makes you so f'n special?
on August 8,2013 | 12:00AM
sahara11 wrote:
It takes two to fight. Elderts may have provoked Perrine verbally but Perrine did the right thing and ignored him. Elderts went to sit down with his friends and Deedy walked over to his table to confront him. That was unecessary so Deedy became the agressor in this case.
on August 7,2013 | 05:36PM
BigErn wrote:
Elderts is looking up from Hell thinking "I should have just kept my fat yapper shut"
on August 7,2013 | 05:36PM
Mythman wrote:
What, you like beef. Oh, you got gun? I like take gun and shoot you.
on August 7,2013 | 05:59PM
hanalei395 wrote:
BigErn speaks for all Deedy supporters.
on August 7,2013 | 06:53PM
BigErn wrote:
Is that pidgin? I can't understand you
on August 7,2013 | 07:03PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
That is inappropriate and unkind. Why would you write that?

Elderts didn't kill anyone and he didn't start this drunken brawl.


on August 7,2013 | 06:22PM
WizardOfMoa wrote:
BigErn, since when you've become God? " Elderts is looking up from Hell...." When it comes to Heaven and Hell only the Supreme Being calls the shot (no pun intended)
on August 7,2013 | 07:27PM
sahara11 wrote:
Also according to the Hawaii Reporter website Deedy was convicted of drunk driving in 2010. Pleaded no contest. So is he "drinking responsibly?"
on August 7,2013 | 05:44PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
That was Elderts
on August 7,2013 | 05:46PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Would anyone expect Deedy to walk right into a trap and try to get himself convicted? I think he's doing a pretty good job putting doubt into the jurors's minds. The burden is on the prosecutor and so far they're not doing a very good job proving murder.
on August 7,2013 | 05:49PM
Tony96822 wrote:
Interesting tactic by Futa. Kind of reminds me of the TV show Columbo where she comes in unassuming to the people in the court room but in a nice passive way she non-stop barrages with him with questions for hours and keeps going non-stop looking for signs of breaking points and agitation, slip ups and mess ups. But she seems so nice and mellow. Just hope that Jess girl, the guy sitting to the side and the security guard all have the same sync'd answers. Especially the "she told me to do something" speaking on Jess holding him back from trouble because it looks like she's saying, "Stop please, this is not good."
on August 7,2013 | 06:30PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
A law enforcement officer should walk away from a drunk hassling a tourist and then challenging him to a fight? How weak is the prosecutor? Never happen, ever!
on August 7,2013 | 07:19PM
umanasibo wrote:
You need to sober up and get the facts straight. Perrine is not a tourist. Elderts, at least from sworn testimony, did not challenge Perrine to a fight.
on August 7,2013 | 07:46PM
aomohoa wrote:
Just curious but does anyone know if the jury is going to be able to take into consideration that Elderts was arrested for assault in the past. I heard that was in question on the news a couple of night ago?
on August 7,2013 | 07:56PM
Anonymous wrote:
aomohoa wrote: "Just curious but does anyone know if the jury is going to be able to take into consideration that Elderts was arrested for assault in the past. I heard that was in question on the news a couple of night ago?"

Elderts was only ever convicted for DUI and disorderly conduct. I don't think that you can tell the jury about nonexistent convictions.


on August 7,2013 | 09:58PM
lawman1175 wrote:
Saved by the bell....prosecutor was working him over in the corner pretty good. Let's see what instructions his corner gives him to begin the next round tomorrow morning.
on August 7,2013 | 09:47PM
Shh wrote:
I don't know he looked like he got beat up pretty good today. He got some bad wounds. Don't know if there is anything they can do to help him out tomorrow.
on August 7,2013 | 11:09PM
Mypualani wrote:
should be interesting, today she gave Deedy spankings, oh wait that's assault isn't it?
on August 8,2013 | 12:11AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
I thought it was funny how Deedy remembered every little detail about the night's events when questioned by his lawyer, but when the prosecution asked about major events of the evening and the answer was "I don't recall" over and over and over again.
on August 7,2013 | 10:35PM
awahana wrote:
I attended a luncheon and of course this trial comes up during lunch. One of the participants went to Kalaheo High School and knew of Kollin Elderts. He played football, and said everyone knew his personality.
Another at the table said that his tox screen from the autopsy came out with marijuana and cocaine. And he has a police record.
And another said that attorney green is an ambulance chaser, and that his family is alienated.
Hawaii is definitely a small fishpond. I learned more about this trial than from reading the SA.
on August 7,2013 | 10:56PM
hapaguy wrote:
I would think that his family would be devastated. I have a 33 year old daughter that had her scrapes with the law when she was younger and grew to straighten herself out and now is a good mother and citizen contributing to society. I shudder to think of how crushed I would be if would have lost her. No parent wants to outlive their children....
on August 7,2013 | 11:47PM
Slow wrote:
My sons knew Kollin from Kalaheo H.S. "Mighty Mouse," his nickname, was loud, funny, pushy,kind of a jerk. But my youngest, who knew him best, said that in the last couple of years he had changed a lot for the better and was a good guy. "That's why I was so shocked when I heard it was Kollin," he told me. No angel but no devil either. Michael Green is one of the most, if not the most, successful plaintiff attorneys in Hawaii. Don't know if I'd make him my kid's godfather but I would hire him if I needed a big legal gun. Like say, Brook Hart. "And his family is alienated." Shame on you, awahana for simply spreading hurtful (and entirely irrelevant) gossip.
on August 8,2013 | 09:05AM
Slow wrote:
Mahalo for the ugly hurtful gossip.
on August 8,2013 | 09:09AM
51butterflies wrote:
Anyone can say they feel "normal", and "good" and not under the influence of alcohol , while consuming alcohol.,but this is self-judging. HPD should have immediately taken a blood-alcohol test from Deedy at the scene of this killing. HPD should not have ever let Deedy try to talk his way out, by saying he needed to consult whomever. It shouldn't matter what affiliations Deedy had, even if he were President of a country. My goodness- Deedy had just used a gun on an unarmed customer, and there were many more lives involved in this restaurant. If Deedy were innocent of not consuming alcohol,he should have had no fear of a blood sample being taken. The fact that he refused a test already shows he knew the test would show an over the limit consumption level.
on August 10,2013 | 06:23PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News