Quantcast
  

Friday, April 18, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 321 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Defense rests in Deedy murder trial

By Ken Kobayashi & Craig Gima

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 09:07 a.m. HST, Aug 12, 2013


Closing arguments in State Department special agent Christopher Deedy’s trial have been scheduled for Aug. 15.

Circuit Judge Karen Ahn told the jurors Thursday afternoon to report back to court that day to hear jury instructions and arguments by the defense and prosecution. The jury will then begin deliberations.

Ahn scheduled the arguments after the defense completed its case and the prosecution said it would not call any rebuttal witnesses.

The defense rested after Deedy completed his testimony and a retired Honolulu police lieutenant presented limited testimony on a 2008 disorderly misconduct conviction for Kollin Elderts, the man Deedy fatally shot at a McDonald’s restaurant early Nov. 5, 2011 in Waikiki.

Retired police Lt. Wayne Fernandez testified that Elderts was part of a large crowd in May 2008 and challenged others to a fight.

Fernandez said uniformed police officers tried to calm down Elderts, but he continued to challenge others.

When he was arrested, Elderts struggled, Fernandez said.

Fernandez said police did not see Elderts hit another person.

Deedy testified earlier today that he pulled out his 9 mm Glock handgun and shot Kollin Elderts because he was “in fear for my life” and for the life of his friend Adam Gutowski, who was bleeding and being beaten by Elderts’ friend Shane Medeiros.

Deedy returned to the witness stand in Honolulu Circuit Court this morning in his defense of a murder charge in the shooting death of Elderts, a 23-year-old Kailua resident.

“As a law enforcement officer once you’ve made that decision to pull that trigger you can never go back,” Deedy said. “I made an oath to serve and protect and that’s what I did. I intended to stop the threat.”

Deedy testified he believed Medeiros and Elderts were using “deadly force” when a fight broke out, even though they did not have weapons.

“It would have been reasonable use of force to shoot either of the assailants that were using deadly force,” Deedy said.

In a second day of cross-examination, Honolulu Deputy Prosecutor Janice Futa pressed Deedy on key points in the confrontation — why he stepped in when no crime had been committed and why he didn’t leave the restaurant before the confrontation turned violent.

Deedy said he stepped in after hearing a loud conversation between Elderts, Medeiros and another customer at the counter because he thought a fight might break out.

“I chose to respond immediately,” Deedy said. “That’s the way we’re trained if we see a violent situation escalating. If you respond after the violence occurred, then you respond too late.”

Deedy testified that he believed Elderts initiated the violence and that his kick to Elderts was a defensive action.

“He (Elderts) gathered himself, moved into position, clenched his fist and moved in quickly to strike me,” Deedy said about the seconds before he kicked Elderts. “We’re trained we don’t allow someone to strike you,” Deedy said. “That was a physical attack and I defended myself against a physical attack.”

On Wednesday, Futa asked Deedy whether he noticed the McDonald's workers joking with Elderts and Medeiros.

Deedy's defense is that he acted as a trained law enforcement officer in trying to defuse a potentially dangerous situation that started with an exchange between Elderts and another customer. Deedy has testified that Elderts became enraged and attacked him.

The prosecution's case is that a drunken and inexperienced Deedy threatened to shoot Elderts in the face, did not identify himself as a federal agent, and kicked Elderts to trigger the fatal struggle.

On Wednesday, Futa questioned Deedy about what he actually heard of the conversation between Elderts and Medeiros and customer Michel Perrine at the McDonald's counter and whether he really needed to get involved.

"You don't know whether they were talking or joking," Futa asked.

"I saw Mr. Perrine turn to Mr. Elderts when he said, ‘Just leave me alone,'" Deedy said.

"He wasn't being bothered by anything anybody said as far as you could see?" Futa continued.

"I saw Elderts again turn to him, Mr. Perrine, and say something," Deedy said. "I saw Mr. Perrine did not respond. … To me it looked intentional, like he was purposely not responding."

Futa asked, "At this point in time, no crime had been committed, correct?"— a question she repeated throughout her questioning Wednesday afternoon.

Today, Futa asked Deedy if he considered taking a more low-key approach, sitting down next to Perrine and calling police, instead of stepping in and confronting Elderts and Medeiros.

“My immediate reaction was to address the threat against Mr. Perrine, It was not to call the police and sit down next to Mr. Perrine,” Deedy said.

Deedy, 29, said Wednesday he was not sure that he could leave the McDonald's safely and that he felt responsible for the other people in the restaurant because of Elderts' aggressive behavior.

“When I stood up and saw Adam being kicked in the face, I could have ran, I knew I could have ran. But I could not have done that and assured his safety, so I chose not to do that,” Deedy said today.

Futa showed a portion of the video and noted that Deedy's friends Jessica West and Gutowski were leaving the restaurant and that West came back in and grabbed Deedy's arm, as if to pull him away.

"When she came back inside the McDonald's, she told you, ‘Let's go,'" Futa asked.

"I was interacting with Mr. Elderts," Deedy responded. "I didn't hear her say anything to me."

"You could have just walked out with Jessica West and not put anyone in danger. Is that correct?" Futa asked.

"He had just threatened to hurt me. If I had walked to his left or right, I don't know what would have happened," Deedy said.

This morning, Deedy clarified that he now recalls that at some point West did say “let’s go.”

Futa questioned Deedy about his agency’s policies on drinking alcohol and carrying weapons. She also asked about his training in getting people whom he protects out of dangerous situations.

Deedy testimony began Tuesday under questioning by his lead attorney, Brook Hart. The special agent painted Elderts as the aggressor and said the Kailua man continued to assault him even after he identified himself as a law enforcement officer and took out his gun.

Deedy testified that Elderts didn't back off even after the agent drew his gun.

"I hoped, I prayed that he would stop," the agent said Wednesday.

Elderts was killed by a shot to his chest.

Late Wednesday,  Ahn ruled that Elderts' 2008 disorderly conduct conviction can be introduced as evidence. Ahn said Deedy's testimony had established that there was enough of an issue as to who was the initial aggressor in the fatal shooting to allow the jury to hear about the prior conviction.

Futa argued that the disorderly conduct conviction would be "highly, highly prejudicial" to the prosecution's case.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 321 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(321)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Shh wrote:
I still don't understand why Deedy got out of hand to the point of killing Elderts when no one was in danger of Elderts? I cannot see why Deedy needed to approach Elderts to begin with other than it showing that Deedy must of been drunk enough to feel that it was his duty to go up to Elderts and provoke a fight to the point that it would escalate allow him to pull his superior authority ego out to use his gun.
on August 8,2013 | 08:59AM
allie wrote:
agree..reckless endangerment. Elderts was a classic troublemaker out to find entertainment and was egged on by his cowardly "friend" Medeiros. But deedy should never have brought a gun there that night and should have simply ignored the typical loco moco racism and loud talk. It is based on the usual nothing out here. Just part of the charm of this hell hole.
on August 8,2013 | 10:07AM
silvangold wrote:
you shift like the wind......when this first happened you were for the poor local guy.....now that it looks like the table HAS TURNED you are for Deedy. wow allie......wishy washy allie.....
on August 8,2013 | 10:55AM
WooWoo wrote:
We're not reading an article about a football game. This is a court of law. No one should be "for" or "against" anyone. The only thing we should be "for" is a fair trial.
on August 8,2013 | 11:31AM
HealthyandHappy wrote:
This is a classic Defense Attorney recommendation. "I feared for my whining little life".
on August 8,2013 | 12:01PM
Mythman wrote:
A fair trial for who woo woo
on August 8,2013 | 12:52PM
holokanaka wrote:
allie is an i.d.i.o.t.
on August 8,2013 | 08:40PM
mcc wrote:
If this is a hell hole, why don't you leave?
on August 8,2013 | 11:28AM
Mythman wrote:
Err, wrt allie, 175,000 tourists from Japan came to this "hell hole", Waikiki last month and dropped 1.5 billion dollars. That's one darned expensive "hell hole".....
on August 8,2013 | 12:54PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
If you ignore A, you defeat her.
on August 8,2013 | 02:09PM
aomohoa wrote:
It's almost impossible. Allie, from what I have heard from many, is really some old guy paid by the SA to stir things up.
on August 8,2013 | 07:48PM
lee1957 wrote:
It's all relative, ever been to North Dakota?
on August 8,2013 | 06:43PM
Jonas wrote:
if you are that negative on Hawaii, you certainly have the options to leave.
on August 8,2013 | 11:58AM
DAGR81 wrote:
allie stays here because this is the only place with enough Aloha to support a forty year old student who just can't seem to graduate after 13 years, even with a "high I Q".
on August 8,2013 | 01:05PM
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
Since you think Hawaii is a "hell hole", and you've said similar comments for what must be years now, why don't you leave? You make absolutely no sense. Ever. At All.
on August 8,2013 | 03:41PM
luvshawaii wrote:
scram
on August 8,2013 | 05:49PM
aomohoa wrote:
You are a 100%as#ho@e! You have no redeeming qualities. You need to go to H@#l!
on August 8,2013 | 07:47PM
brb905 wrote:
I suspect one of the underlying issues is cultural misunderstanding on the part of Deedy. He may not have understood the cultural ways of local people in joking around and poking fun at each other. If he had known this, he may have reacted differently. Based on what I have read thus far, this was preventable, but Deedy escalated the situation unnecessarily due to his lack of cultural understanding.
on August 8,2013 | 10:46AM
lee1957 wrote:
"F*****g haole, you like beef." I don't think there is any misunderstanding there. But then again, maybe Elderts was going to buy Deedy a Big Mac.
on August 8,2013 | 11:28AM
Shh wrote:
LOL well it could be. Maybe that is why they were laughing.
on August 8,2013 | 01:06PM
sailfish1 wrote:
What? There is no culture of Hawaii people bullying haole strangers and picking fights with them. It is the small misguided minority like Elderts and Medeiros that cause trouble and give Hawaii people a bad reputation. Most Hawaii people are decent and respectable.
on August 8,2013 | 12:11PM
Mypualani wrote:
In reply to sailfish: In other post you wrote that Hawaiians had low intelligence.
on August 8,2013 | 02:33PM
hon2255 wrote:
plus one sailfish , only a few spoil the stew
on August 8,2013 | 05:12PM
scooters wrote:
Local cultural joking? BS! Calling someone a "racial slur, is not joking around. Just shows local stupidity.
on August 8,2013 | 08:04PM
control wrote:
we don't know if elderts and medeiros would have fought with perrine, esp after the staredown. with all the warnings about locals and hotheads he saw a potential argument and so decided to intervene. elderts was drunk and on drugs, you keep mentioning deedy being drunk but we know for a fact that elderts was drunk and on drugs.
on August 8,2013 | 12:53PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
"Sir I have had intensive training on local island culture and "stink eye", Even my pronunciation of ha'ole is spot on!" This and the fact that I just landed a few hours with no sleep or time to spare! I have a frat brother that needs my craziness. So yes, after looking at Perrine, I felt he would be subject to death if I didn't act. I didn't mean to have one of my bullets fly by him that night. But I did say that all in McDonalds may be in grave danger that night.
on August 8,2013 | 02:17PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
As a trained police officer, you go and interview the complainant, Perrine, to see if he's okay or needs assistance. Not once did Deedy ever talk to Perrine. Deedy already made up his mind that he had the "biggest stick" in the restaurant ,and that he was going be the hero.
on August 8,2013 | 02:04PM
control wrote:
what a joke, no you don't, you assess the situation first. local police, knowing local customs would just let the situation develop first to see if it would be confrontational between medeiros, elderts and perrine and get involved it if appeared an altercation was developing. To deedy, not trained in local customs he felt that an altercation was imminent (we don't really know if one was or not) and felt he needed to step in to stop the situation. unfortunately he didn't anticipate elderts to not back down.
on August 8,2013 | 03:36PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT control: you my friend are correct, especially when there was no backing down. I won't speak to what Deedy or Elderts was thinking or feeling, but dam this is a mess.
on August 8,2013 | 04:27PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
There is no backing down? Lol.
on August 8,2013 | 05:15PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
What is "trained in local customs"? The procedure in all jurisdiction is interview the victim. Not once did Deedy even acknowledge Perrine even when he was a mere 3 feet away.
on August 8,2013 | 05:15PM
lynnh wrote:
Because the immediate threat was Elderts. You get in between the aggressor, and you take interviews after the threat is averted. Stupid comment!
on August 8,2013 | 07:52PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Lynnh, You mean Elderts the guy who was waiting for burgers? He was the immediate threat? Sitting calmly? Aggressor? Stupid comment. You take statements to avert the problem. If Deedy did ask Perrine, he would have said" Oh no, no problem,just ignore it" better catch up with your drunk friends.
on August 8,2013 | 10:52PM
droid wrote:
Yes, lynnh is clearly a clueless Monday morning quarterback with zero facts about the case. DEEDY was the aggressor as he THREW THE FIRST KICK. Kollin Elderts was sitting down calmly at the table waiting for the food order he had just paid for. DEEDY got in ELDERTS’ FACE and KICKED HIM. What about Elderts’ right to defend himself from being kicked?!
on August 8,2013 | 11:01PM
lynnh wrote:
So from your logic, local custom makes it ok to sit back and let an assault happen before taking action.That is a pretty sick attitude.
on August 8,2013 | 07:51PM
droid wrote:
There was no “assault happening” until Chris Deedy attacked Elderts!!! Deedy has ALREADY ADMITTED THIS in SWORN TESTIMONY!!! Please get a clue!!!
on August 8,2013 | 11:03PM
McB0B wrote:
Are you really saying you were trained to interview witnesses before neutralizing the threat when the situation is ongoing?
on August 9,2013 | 02:09AM
lee1957 wrote:
Elderts was one sucker punch away from killing someone.
on August 8,2013 | 06:43PM
scooters wrote:
What Deedy did was stand up for the little against a known bully. Elberts pushed the issue to show that he was the bully. What a fool he was. Typical action by an uneducated person.
on August 8,2013 | 08:01PM
holokanaka wrote:
question: would deedy have confronted elderts if he was NOT packing?
on August 8,2013 | 08:38PM
saveparadise wrote:
Elderts prior record is very relevant to the defense. It shows that he was no stranger to assaulting police officers. Elderts was not your ordinary Joe out to have a few beers and laughs. He was willing to engage a fist fight with anyone if under the influence. Gotta admire his toughness but he did it one time too many.
on August 8,2013 | 09:09AM
Mypualani wrote:
Assaulting police officers? aren't you stretching it a bit? if he assaulted police officers he would have served a jail sentence for such a crime that of which he was not charged. He was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and paid a fine for that. I am not trying to minimize his crimes committed but I don't believe you are being fair when you take one crime and mix in another with it.
on August 8,2013 | 09:24AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
He assaulted other people he was fighting with, swore at police, resisted arrest and had to be restrained by several officer. The prosecutor wants this info withheld because they know it will kill their case. It shows the character of Eldert's and his willingness to engage Police in a physical confrontation. The guy was a violent drunk who went around picking fights with people. This time he picked a fight with the wrong tourist. Case closed.
on August 8,2013 | 09:34AM
stingray65 wrote:
Eldert, should have been shoot long time ago!! This time he found his match! he found out in a hard way!
on August 8,2013 | 10:16AM
cojef wrote:
All the comments are interesting, but sad to say Elderts is not trial. Whether he had previous encounters with the ploice is irrelevent. What ensued at McDonald matters and Deedy is being trial.
on August 8,2013 | 10:29AM
lookup wrote:
Well Said!
on August 8,2013 | 11:27AM
Shh wrote:
exactly! The word is irrelevant to this case!
on August 8,2013 | 12:15PM
808ikea wrote:
I disagree, if Elderts has shown a history of violence and resisting arrest then it is relevant for Deedy's defense.
on August 8,2013 | 12:48PM
Shh wrote:
Okay but where was the officer? No officer was there. No one heard he introduce himself as one.
on August 8,2013 | 01:08PM
Mypualani wrote:
History of violence ? And resisting arrest? His arrest are DUI and Disorderly.
on August 8,2013 | 02:44PM
808ikea wrote:
To Shh: Irregardless of whether Elderts heard Deedy announce that he was an officer, Elderts has shown a history of violence and willingness to engage in violence despite officers being present. this point is relevant to this case.
on August 8,2013 | 02:50PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Again people, Disorderly Conduct. Not Resisting Arrest or Assault.
on August 8,2013 | 05:22PM
POG808 wrote:
808ikea: "Elderts heard Deedy announce that he was an officer, " You were there in his head? How do you know that? "Elderts has shown a history of violence and willingness to engage in violence despite officers being present." He was no Angel. Still was Deedy personally appointed to take responsibility to be judge, jury, and executioner- giving him the rite to pick a fight and kill this young person?
on August 8,2013 | 06:43PM
control wrote:
actually elderts is on trial. they are trying to show eldert's character which led up to the altercation. if it were irrelevant then the judge wouldn't have allowed it, but did because she felt it was an important part of characterizing elderts.
on August 8,2013 | 12:59PM
Mypualani wrote:
Not according to the judge. that is why she limited the scope of questioning
on August 8,2013 | 08:30PM
sak wrote:
It is not irrelevant, it is called the defenses evidence to the character of the (lowlife)deceased and why this incident happened in the first place.
on August 8,2013 | 04:59PM
lynnh wrote:
Irrelevant my @$$! It shows his character and proves he had no respect for the law, or anyone else for that matter.
on August 8,2013 | 07:57PM
Mypualani wrote:
@ sting : brave words from behind your key board, and also very sad, you are no better than the person you say should have been shot along time ago. Maybe you should go and say this to his family. But you won't because you come off as nothing but a slimy little worm " who needs counseling.
on August 8,2013 | 02:42PM
lookup wrote:
Hello... Elders did not pick the fight. He may have been a wise A@# but that is not a crime! Not fair to judge a person ( who is not here to defend himself ) by his prior problems which has nothing to do with him being aggrevated, assaulted, shot and killed by a person who says he is a trained Fed. Agent. If they bring up Elderts' past they need to go all the way back in his past to see Why and What has made him such a defensive person...was he bullied to many times in his youth so he learned how to take care of himself. Deedy has know idea how some locals have to grow up always being put down by others and having to fight for the right to survive.
on August 8,2013 | 11:26AM
control wrote:
give me a break. the guy was a bully, period. he and medeiros got their kicks by baiting h's. don't give excuses that he was bullied when he was a kid, he probably was the one bullying everyone else. elderts was a pnk.
on August 8,2013 | 12:54PM
lookup wrote:
You do not know anything about this young man Kollin Elderts. You are the one who needs to take a break and step back. This person was killed, shot dead by someone who also did not know him or the way local pidginn speaking young men react when they have been drinking. If it was a local person who tried to defuse the situation they would have probably said something like... Hey Braddah, wass up everything ok? you guys had a good time tonight? Everything is cool Braddah. lets go wait for our food over there and chill. Then begin to change the subject and the whole situation would have cooled off and everyone would have eaten then moved on an gone home! I was not giving excusses, just mearly stating a fact that unless u can walk a mile in someones shoes you do not have the right to judge them. Deedy should not have started something when he did not know what was happening and could not handle what he started without using a deadly weapon!
on August 8,2013 | 02:24PM
control wrote:
are you elderts friend? another pnk too? yes, deedy wasn't trained in local customs and so reacted when he thought an altercation was imminent. the feds were at fault, one for giving deedy the local hothead impression. you are also giving pure speculation on your response, you don' t know if elderts wouldn't see you as another opponent to challenge.
on August 8,2013 | 03:39PM
Anonymous wrote:
Agreed. This 'control' person seems to have a think against locals.
on August 8,2013 | 06:28PM
lynnh wrote:
Actually, i do know about Elderts. I witnessed him on more than one occasion being a punk in drunk punk in Kailua. Both times at Board Riders. And these were times other than the one he was arrested for.
on August 8,2013 | 08:01PM
312guy wrote:
next thing your going to say is that he was abused therefore he has the right to take it out on others. If you live by the sword you die by the sword
on August 8,2013 | 06:14PM
lynnh wrote:
His prior problems have everything to do with it.
on August 8,2013 | 07:59PM
Mypualani wrote:
At say, is that what Elderts was charged with? No I can tell you that assault is different from disorderly conduct. If he committed such a heinous crime, why did he get off with a fine? A low one at that.
on August 8,2013 | 02:37PM
lookup wrote:
@control - no Elderts is young enough to be my grandson but...i have dealt with enough of the generation of locals who have had to fight their way through life in order to survive so don't even degrade yourself by calling me a punk. I have had more experience with local kids than you can imagine. Most of the time what they need is understanding and compassion...definatly not judgement and murder!
on August 8,2013 | 04:20PM
Mypualani wrote:
no he didn't. not according the police officer.
on August 8,2013 | 08:27PM
Tony96822 wrote:
Major difference in reaction if Deedy was wearing a dark blue uniform with a badge on it. But slippahs and shorts. hard to take seriously. Fight for his life? BS, he thought he could first scare the local then realized it wasn't working. As a highly trained safety officer, you use brains and tact and care not about being called names. The sticks and stones stuff is something you laugh about. Show badge right off the bat. If seen a lot of Hawaii's finest pull rank on people and they back down quickly. And if not, pull your phone out and call 911 while away from "imminent" danger. Then go back in. Although I could gotten into fights before with road ragers I just call 911 and they split fast. Because no one wins. and broke up fights just by whispering to bruddah's quietly by saying, "cops coming" guys, cool it, someone just called 911. Psychology first, violence only of last resort. This was not last resort. Just look at the video. And the Jess girl is not telling him as Deedy says, "She said, "Do something." what she's saying is "knock it off, not worth it." Any semi intelligent island HPD psychologist can see it and read the body language. This live cast will break this case for someone.
on August 8,2013 | 12:08PM
control wrote:
actually the defense brought someone to testify for eldert's 2008 altercation, he didn't back down, they have to physically restrain him and even then he was struggling to get out. elderts had no respect for the law or officers. as for bs, you are also giving your opinion so everything you say after that is just opinion.
on August 8,2013 | 03:42PM
Tony96822 wrote:
when you fear for your life you run. when you're pissed you fight back. this is all unfortunate but if Godzilla was coming after you, or a great white,that's fearing for your life. Especially since was an exit way and Jess kept telling him to split with them not "She said, do something Chris. Just wish Brook was smarter than to let his guy testify. That was bad strategy, real bad. He should have just said, my client is very sorry for what happened and is too emotionally distraught and feel terrible.", instead of letting Columbo grill him in her very mild easy going strategic demeanor.
on August 8,2013 | 04:47PM
lee1957 wrote:
Just what we need, train law enforcement officers to run at the first sign of confrontation.
on August 8,2013 | 06:51PM
lynnh wrote:
Officers are not trained to run.
on August 8,2013 | 08:04PM
control wrote:
actually he was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest while being drunk as a minor. the defense will try to show that elderts had little respect for the law and officers and that was why he was the 'aggressor' when confronted by deedy after deedy identified himself. I know others will say that witnesses didn't hear deedy identify himself but I wonder how many people can remember details when a minute later they are scrambling for cover afraid of getting shot.
on August 8,2013 | 12:57PM
sak wrote:
The mixture has the same elementsand similarity, Same Person, Elderts for #1, and #2 the ability and common sense to refuse an authority figure, the police, and there previous struggle to calm Eldert's down in the recorded 2008 incident I just wonder if Deedy's gun jammed after taking care of the fear for his life, I would have shot Mederos too for kicking a man when he is on the ground to help defend my friend who was getting kicked in the head. Problems solved!
on August 8,2013 | 04:53PM
aomohoa wrote:
I would never admire someone for their toughness. Admire someone for the ability to not get in a fight, not a thug.
on August 8,2013 | 09:34AM
allie wrote:
we don't admire anything about Elderts hon. Or deedy. Or Medeiros, the giggly "friend" who betrayed Elderts by egging him on to fight.
on August 8,2013 | 10:08AM
silvangold wrote:
allie .... shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhut-up
on August 8,2013 | 10:57AM
Shh wrote:
She always putting in her own two cents...as usual! Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth! Tired of having to tell her to shut her trap!
on August 8,2013 | 12:18PM
kainalu wrote:
She? I always thought allie was a dude. I'm convinced he's a dude, no matter what he claims.
on August 8,2013 | 05:43PM
aomohoa wrote:
A old dude paid by SA!
on August 8,2013 | 07:50PM
DAGR81 wrote:
allie, were you at McDonald's when all this happened?
on August 8,2013 | 01:09PM
stingray65 wrote:
Saveparadise, I was waiting for someone to say about the priors of Eldert!! He had it coming!!
on August 8,2013 | 10:13AM
t_faman wrote:
Deedy, a rookie in his profession, had no right to play judge and jury no matter how bad Elderts was acting. He should have dialed 911 and let HPD deal with Elderts.
on August 8,2013 | 10:19AM
Shh wrote:
totally agree but what would he need to call 911 for? There was no fight until Deedy caused it.
on August 8,2013 | 10:31AM
lee1957 wrote:
911 had already been called.
on August 8,2013 | 11:30AM
control wrote:
and what if elderts and mediros started beating perrine up? deedy said that he heard the security guard call 911 but the altercation happened too fast. we don' t know what would have happenned had deedy not intervened. others can say otherwise, that elderts and medeiros would be on their way but we don't know that, all speculation.
on August 8,2013 | 01:02PM
Anonymous wrote:
What if what if what if. No one fought with Perrine, stop speculating and stick to the facts.
on August 8,2013 | 06:31PM
jess wrote:
He was never arrested for assault on an officer. Get your facts straight.
on August 8,2013 | 10:30AM
Mypualani wrote:
@ jess that's the whole issue here, a lot of these Deedy supporters don't stick to facts, only when it suits them, Character assassination and feelings are all they have. the questioning by the Prosecutor was subtle and for a reason she was setting his @$$ up like a bowling pin at summation she will lay it down, she basically set the stage for Deedy not rising to the level of Self-Defense, the jury hasn't even decided and you got these fools on here stating that Deedy won't get a fair trial because of the locals.
on August 8,2013 | 08:48PM
Shaka_Braddah wrote:
Just read some breaking news that a man damaged police department equipment and ASSAULTED a police officer. Interestingly, he wasn't shot to death...maybe because he didn't have prior record like Elderts did.
on August 8,2013 | 11:54AM
t_faman wrote:
Maybe it's because he was dealt with true trained professionals. The majority of officers have common sense and savvy to deal with these type of situations. Deedy was trained more in the lines of dignitary protection.
on August 8,2013 | 01:25PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Shaka brah, maybe HPD didn't get federal training like Deedy did! If not we have more police shootings like they do in the mainland.
on August 8,2013 | 02:24PM
lee1957 wrote:
Lets see, didn't HPD just shoot to death a soldier who wouldn't get out of his truck and tried to break out of the police car cordon around his vehicle. Shaka brah.
on August 8,2013 | 06:54PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Yes,lee,they did. After a million blue lights recognized them as POLICE. And uniform police officers tried to stop the soldiers rampage in his Dodge. Also the warning for the soldier to stop and desist. That's why alcohol is bad. Peace to that soldier, peace to Elderts.
on August 8,2013 | 07:26PM
312guy wrote:
shaka_braddah sounds like you are ok with someone violating someone and even more if that person is law enforcement.
on August 8,2013 | 06:24PM
sailfish1 wrote:
saveparadise - you actuially admire Elderts and his toughness?
on August 8,2013 | 12:14PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Y'all need to read what Lt.Fernandez testified to. Elderts was arrested for Disorderly, a misdemeanor, like a traffic ticket. If he fought, he would have been arrested for Resisting Arrest, he didn't. If he had hit a police office, Assault on a PO. If he had assaulted someone at the bar, and they complained, maybe Assault 3,,,,,but in a big bar fight, good luck with that.
on August 8,2013 | 05:20PM
lynnh wrote:
"Gotta admire his toughness but he did it one time too many"? Admire violence? Are you serious? There is nothing admirable about acting tough or being violent. People like you are part of the problem.
on August 8,2013 | 07:55PM
RichardCory wrote:
"City Deputy Prosecutor Janice Futa is expected to continue grilling Deedy..." Gee, it sure is fair and unbiased reporting around here. I don't recall SA using the term "grill" when describing Hart's cross examination of the State's witnesses.
on August 8,2013 | 09:21AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Grill enough to keep Deedy to repeat ...OVER and OVER ......"I don't recall".
on August 8,2013 | 09:38AM
waikane75 wrote:
LOL your're right. He doesn't seem to recall much when questioned by Futa because he was drunk.
on August 8,2013 | 10:04AM
Shh wrote:
I agree. He seems to no the rehearsed answers for Hart though and remembers so clearly. LOL
on August 8,2013 | 10:33AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Maybe too drunk to remember what Jessica West wanted to do, ... to stop Deedy from approching Elderts. ... too drunk to remember what she probably said, for all of them to leave. She and her boy friend, Gutowski, had already left McDonald's, but then returned when Deedy refused to leave with them.
on August 8,2013 | 10:40AM
hanalei395 wrote:
When asked if that was Jessia West holding Deedy back, holding him from approaching Elderts even more, Deedy's first answer was, ... " I don't know". After a moment, he probably thought that was a dumb answer, he then said, ..."It looks like her". Be prepared for more "I don't recall" replies today. (And he's not drunk).
on August 8,2013 | 12:00PM
Tony96822 wrote:
Not true, he said she said, "Chris do something!!, please stop him". Man he backed himself into dead end with no way out. Should have just not testified.
on August 8,2013 | 02:48PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Did you read the above article? After more grilling, Deedy finally said that West said to him ..."Let's go". That "Chris, do something!" .....WAS A LIE.
on August 8,2013 | 03:17PM
Tony96822 wrote:
Exactly, I meant what you are saying but in a different lingo. We're on the same page. Basically saying he was lying under oath. Like I said Brook should have not let him testify. Futa is one smart lady. UH Law School grad?
on August 8,2013 | 04:51PM
toad103410 wrote:
Unfortunately, the fact that Deedy was indeed drunk cannot be proven since he refused to be tested. And then there is the opinion of the 2 physicians who treated him and testified that he did not appear to be intoxicated. If the prosecution had undeniable proof that Deedy was drunk they would have a slam dunk case for some kind of conviction. It doesn't matter what a lot of us think,. We can keep voicing our opinions but can't provide any evidence that will stand up in court.
on August 8,2013 | 12:10PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
toad103410, even if the MD did not smell alcohol, Deedy,Gutkowski and West said THEY WERE DRINKING. So they were all under the influence. Period. What would indicate otherwise. A person without sleep, with jet lag,and who has a few beers ,acts way different from a well rested person.
on August 8,2013 | 07:37PM
Mypualani wrote:
toad you are right, no test about the alcohol, no problem because it is a fact that Deedy was drinking alcohol you see he testified to this himself, so did his friends, Deedy refused the test, now I ask you would a reasonable person ask themselves "Hmmm why did he refuse if he was not under the influence" yeah the case is in the jury's hand. and the will weigh in on the evidence presented.
on August 8,2013 | 08:57PM
hanalei395 wrote:
And to grill Deedy to FINALLY confess (after numerous tries) that NO CRIME HAD BEEN COMMITTED ...BEFORE Deedy kicked Elderts.
on August 8,2013 | 01:48PM
Mypualani wrote:
Deedy is Maki Sushi. Deedy gave Futa all the elements of what she will need for her summation. In Hawaii you cannot say self-defense if you have a way out, plus no crime committed until Deedy kicked and then shot Elderts, to be fare Elderts did fight back, what is interesting is Deedy saw blood pouring from Goofy Gutless, from an abrasion less the a centimeter? must have been some deep cut.
on August 8,2013 | 09:02PM
allie wrote:
true..she is just doing her job
on August 8,2013 | 10:08AM
silvangold wrote:
not very well though
on August 8,2013 | 10:58AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Well enough to fluster, to rattle Deedy to go off his scripted reply to an expected, to a possible question by the prosecution, and then made him come back with a "I don't recall" response. Any other reply would have been detrimental to Deedy.
on August 8,2013 | 01:15PM
W15 wrote:
are we watching the same feed? i would hardly call it "grilling."
on August 8,2013 | 11:03AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
I think the local term is "hibachi".
on August 8,2013 | 12:54PM
Mypualani wrote:
Deedy's explanations for staying is week, when Futa pointed out the side door as an exit, Deedy claimed to have already been assaulted by Elderts as Elderts sat at the table. Futa asked "He did?" Deedy stated that Elderts had assaulted him with words, going by the marines testimony Deedy was doing his fair share of "assaulting too. and Elderts get this, was assaulting Deedy with body language. I know body language can be used as signal, but never did I know that it could be assault! So when I gave others the finger was I assaulting them? is this grounds to get shot? now I heard it all.
on August 8,2013 | 09:35AM
sparkyzane wrote:
It's called "battery" and yes it is a crime.
on August 8,2013 | 03:44PM
Mypualani wrote:
Ohhhh pleaseeeeeee.
on August 8,2013 | 04:33PM
Mypualani wrote:
Than why did Deedy say Assault?
on August 8,2013 | 09:04PM
aomohoa wrote:
I would never admire anyone for their toughness. Admire someone for their ability to avoid a fight with their intellect. Maybe that is a female attitude.
on August 8,2013 | 09:36AM
allie wrote:
totally agree
on August 8,2013 | 10:09AM
Jonas wrote:
well, I think I can admire toughness - like on the football field or even standing up to others. but I don't admire it in the absence of intellect. and I think it was pretty dumb to fight an armed person - law enforcement officer or not!
on August 8,2013 | 12:03PM
lee1957 wrote:
Elderts would have kicked Ghandi's ass.
on August 8,2013 | 06:56PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Now that the truth about Eldert's previous criminal behavior is out, everyone will see him for who he truly was, a drunken bully who went around picking fights with people. He caused his own death.
on August 8,2013 | 09:37AM
silvangold wrote:
unfortunately you are RIGHT.
on August 8,2013 | 11:02AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The jury will see it too. They'll see Deedy was trying to help Perrine and Elderts lost it. He caused his own death.
on August 8,2013 | 11:11AM
Shh wrote:
You guys seem to forget that Perrine said in court that he did not feel threatened and he did not feel as if he needed help.
on August 8,2013 | 12:22PM
control wrote:
but a law officer watching the confrontation might have thought that there was a potential altercation. yes local officers would probably wait to see how it plays out before intervening but we all know that deedy wasn't trained in local customs.
on August 8,2013 | 01:05PM
8082062424 wrote:
But when Perrine took the stand and said he did not need help shows deedy was wrong and cause more harm then good
on August 8,2013 | 01:28PM
control wrote:
no, deedy saw the incident had the potential for an altercation and felt he needed to step in. he wasn't trained in handling locals here. yes he did cause more harm then good but officers are trained to react a certain way. unfortunately deedy wasn't trained for this kind of situations, I think he was trained more to protect people (apec, counsulates, etc.), not day to day altercations like fights and arguments.
on August 8,2013 | 03:46PM
Mypualani wrote:
Judging by Deedy's words I would say you are correct control, about the training part.
on August 8,2013 | 09:09PM
312guy wrote:
perrine lives in hawaii and wants to stay so guess what he will just tuck his tail and say nothing. and as far as the marines i would not believe what they say, i wonder what they have done in Iraq to the villagers there.
on August 8,2013 | 06:34PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Wow,312. You just diss those men who fought for your freedom,calling two marines liars.
on August 8,2013 | 11:05PM
t_faman wrote:
Even more so for Deedy to let the local police handle this problem.
on August 8,2013 | 01:29PM
lookup wrote:
Exactly, Deedy should have known by his prior training that a situation is not as it seems. If he would have just been cool he would have seen that all everybody needed was to put some food into their stomachs and go home Fo MOE!
on August 8,2013 | 02:28PM
control wrote:
no, deedy wasn't trained in local hawaiian culture. plus you don't know if elderts and medeiros would have fought with perrine. Even medeiros said that there was a staredown between them and perrine right before deedy intervened so we don't know what would have happened had deedy not step in. you can't say one way or the other.
on August 8,2013 | 03:48PM
Anonymous wrote:
It doesn't matter if Deedy wasn't trained in "Hawaiian culture" as you call it, he should've let HPD handle the situation. No one was in imminent danger, especially since Elderts and Perrine were sitting nearly 5 feet across from each other when Deedy confronted Elderts. Watch the video.
on August 8,2013 | 06:33PM
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
Perrine was also admittedly drunk; other witnesses (mcd's workers) said they told Elderts to stop picking on Perrine.
on August 8,2013 | 03:43PM
aomohoa wrote:
Sad but true.
on August 8,2013 | 12:12PM
toad103410 wrote:
Agree completely. Elderts was probably a good friend and family member when sober but changed when under the influence of alcohol and drugs. Did not deserve to die like that but brought it on himself.
on August 8,2013 | 12:43PM
Mypualani wrote:
Didn't happen, if going by the police officers testimony that didn't happen. So Sorry
on August 8,2013 | 09:05PM
Malani wrote:
When there is only one person mouthing off there is no fight. When another responds to the other persons mouthing off thats when the fight begins eitheir verbal or physcial.
on August 8,2013 | 09:46AM
bluebowl wrote:
Ok bully. What ever you say. Like that?
on August 8,2013 | 11:30AM
summer43 wrote:
I hope Deedy gets a fair trial. I saw that all jurors are local. They can be bias.
on August 8,2013 | 09:59AM
allie wrote:
I have faith that "locals" can and will judge fairly. I have learned during my 4 years here that Hawaii can surprise on the upside from time to time.
on August 8,2013 | 10:09AM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Never try to predict a jury, Allie.
on August 8,2013 | 10:36AM
Shh wrote:
Only 4 years. My goodness! Sure act as if you moved here a long time ago.
on August 8,2013 | 12:26PM
DAGR81 wrote:
Sorry, need to correct the year The Hungry Lion closed from 2010 to 2000. That means allie has been her for 13 years and not 4.
on August 8,2013 | 01:16PM
MKN wrote:
@DAGR81: The Hungry Lion did close in 2010. Here's the story: Hungry Lion
on August 8,2013 | 03:07PM
DAGR81 wrote:
allie, you previously shared your experience at The Hungry Lion as a freshman at the UH. The Hungry Lion closed in 2010. So how can you now say you have been here for only 4 years. You have absolutely no credibility.
on August 8,2013 | 01:14PM
umanasibo wrote:
Um, every trial is made of locals — whether you're in New York, California and yes, Hawaii. And there's always bias. It's part of being human.
on August 8,2013 | 10:37AM
Shh wrote:
Good point. No matter where you are you will see locals.
on August 8,2013 | 12:27PM
luckyman wrote:
Bad racist comment. If Deedy is guilty, people like you will claim racial bias. Regardless which way this the decision goes. I would blame the prosecutor or defense attorneys for not convincing their case to the jury. It seems both sides have pluses and minuses to this case. It's not going to be because the jurors are local.
on August 8,2013 | 10:55AM
kiragirl wrote:
It was ruled that this case be tried in state court and not federal. All over the country, jurors are picked within their district. Your comment makes it appear that this jury is against Deedy because he is not "local". Wow!
on August 8,2013 | 12:00PM
Shh wrote:
A local can tell when a local is doing wrong! Don't worry, they have to be fair!
on August 8,2013 | 12:25PM
t_faman wrote:
Unfair statement, Hart had a say in the selection of the jury.
on August 8,2013 | 01:32PM
pcman wrote:
IRT summer on jurors. All jurors must be local. They must be residents of the state (have a local address), registered voters, and paid Hawaii state taxes. The prosecutor and defense are responsible to establish an unbiased jury. If they are biased as you say, then it was the fault of the prosecutor or the defense for not doing their jobs. You need to serve on a jury to respect the process. Selecting a jury can take 3-5 days. It's a time consuming process. Capital crimes take longer to establish the jury for obvious reasons.
on August 8,2013 | 08:34PM
summer43 wrote:
The should have moved the case to Federal Court. Deedy would have a better and fair chance.
on August 8,2013 | 10:00AM
jess wrote:
I think it was more on where he would go if he were convicted. If he's found guilty the boys in Halawa won't treat him very well. The jury selection would have been similar.
on August 8,2013 | 10:32AM
MKN wrote:
@jess: If he does go to jail, it probably won't be Halawa. It will be the federal prison by the airport which is camp cupcake compared to Halawa. They will put him there because if they put any law enforcement officer in Halawa, their life will be in danger and the state would be liable.
on August 8,2013 | 03:14PM
stingray65 wrote:
I just hope that Deedy will get away for self-defense.. This teach some of the bully that are still alive to watch out..person with authority and with gun will come after you!! I still support the Conceal to Carry I just love to pack a .45 cal. I know that will stop any bully anywhere..Even 200 pounder!
on August 8,2013 | 10:34AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
We don't need stingray walking around with a gun. If he can't take care of himself, both physically and intelligently, then stay in your castle and wait for your boogeyman.
on August 8,2013 | 05:03PM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Murder of a local is not a federal crime unless its a hate crime or the victim is a government employee.
on August 8,2013 | 10:38AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
summer43 wrote: "The should have moved the case to Federal Court. Deedy would have a better and fair chance."

Why would the trial have been more fair in Federal court?


on August 8,2013 | 10:42AM
control wrote:
actually federal court is better IMHO. there are set sentences, no such thing as parole either so some rather have the case tried in fed court because the sentences are longer and not subject to sob stories that local trials encounter. the defense did request the trial go to the federal court, they felt that jurors would be more unbiased so it will be interesting whether the local jurors are biased enough to convict deedy of murder 2 even with an apparent lack of evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
on August 8,2013 | 01:10PM
t_faman wrote:
The jury would still be selected from our local residents.
on August 8,2013 | 01:36PM
control wrote:
not a federal trial. depends on where they place the venue, they could have moved the trial back to the mainland.
on August 8,2013 | 03:50PM
t_faman wrote:
The feds can still bring charges against Deedy for violating Elderts civil rights, which may or may not come after the state trial is done.
on August 8,2013 | 01:34PM
control wrote:
not likely that the feds would charge one of their own, but this is JMHO. if deedy is acquitted I seriously doubt the feds would charge deedy with anything. they might fire him or some kind of action but I doubt they would charge him.
on August 8,2013 | 03:51PM
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
They tried to, prosecutors successfully defeated that.
on August 8,2013 | 03:44PM
Mypualani wrote:
summer43 you mean Deedy would have had a mush better chance at getting away with taking a life in vain.
on August 8,2013 | 09:14PM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Here's what Futa is going for. DD has been awake since 10pm Thurdsay night Hawaiian time. Gets on two flights and crosses 5 time zones to get to HONOLULU. Arrived here about. 1:30 pm Friday afternoon. Gets to the Hawaiian Village, checks in, goes to Tropics bar, gets a little sun, meets with some colleagues and then gets together with some buds to go bar hopping at First Friday. 4 beers later and after being awake 29 hours, he's at McDonald's on Kuhio 2:30am Saturday morning. NOBODY can be sharp and at the top of their professional game, where judgement counts, after being awake that long and consuming alcohol on a rather empty stomach (remember he said he kept looking for a place to eat after leaving Chinatown).. Fatigue, jet lag and alcohol.......it all adds up to DD initiating something he shouldn't have. Futa is leading him right down this trail. Murder 2. Hmmmmm. Manslaughter . Uh huh.
on August 8,2013 | 10:17AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Surfer dude, you forgot the airline drinkys.
on August 8,2013 | 03:40PM
control wrote:
zzzzzz
on August 8,2013 | 03:51PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Mahalo for da "hit".
on August 8,2013 | 05:06PM
312guy wrote:
remember he was in bengazi libia he is use to long hours, very small staff working in that ambassy
on August 8,2013 | 07:08PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Ben Gazi's labia?
on August 8,2013 | 11:09PM
Shh wrote:
The live newsfeed in the courtroom is not working! No sound and picture does not show courtroom.
on August 8,2013 | 10:21AM
Shh wrote:
But why was he drawing his weapon to Elderts? He did not threaten to hurt anyone. He was using deadly force upon an unarmed person that was of no threat.
on August 8,2013 | 10:42AM
312guy wrote:
no threat really being pounded on the ground! let someone pound you while you on the floor then tell me no threat!
on August 8,2013 | 07:10PM
Mypualani wrote:
there was no threat until NI'ELE walked over and started the ball rolling, you can't start a fight and then shoot an unarmed man and claim self defense NAILZZZ. get it?
on August 8,2013 | 09:23PM
Shh wrote:
Deedy said that Eldert was using deadly force. I didn't see it until Deedy started the fight. The only using deadly force was Deedy holding the gun at Elderts
on August 8,2013 | 10:43AM
control wrote:
earth to shh, nobody is ready listening to your biased reporting of the case.
on August 8,2013 | 01:13PM
control wrote:
bad keyboard, nobody is really listening to your biased reporting.
on August 8,2013 | 03:52PM
Mypualani wrote:
I am
on August 8,2013 | 09:23PM
MKN wrote:
This prosecutor sucks. She keeps mixing up the names of Elderts, Elderts, and Gutowski.
on August 8,2013 | 10:52AM
jess wrote:
Kind of like the Zimmerman trial. That prosecutor was terrible as well.
on August 8,2013 | 11:55AM
control wrote:
yes, hard to have a case without any real facts.
on August 8,2013 | 01:13PM
george702 wrote:
The more of this so called "cross examination" I see, the more I'm inclined to feel that the jury will acquit Deedy. I was inclined to think the jury may convict on manslaughter, but all the Prosecutor is doing is bolstering Deede's testimony. Rehashing everything already said on direct is not cross examination. They will use this case in future evidence classes in law school on how NOT to cross examine. Poor jury. They are waiting for the Prosecution to ferret out the truth as well as all of the Public and they are being sadly disappointed. This is where the truth is to be tested. The veracity of the Defendant is critical. What a disappointing whimper this turned into. Deedy will walk. Thanks Ms. Futa. Weak.
on August 8,2013 | 10:54AM
MichelleBringas wrote:
Sorry U guys. You only remember the same day testimony and not the totality. In your mind it doesn't matter what the marine and Perrine himself testified to. Let me remind you....Perrine testified he did NOT feel threatened and the marine testified that DEEDY was telling Elderts he was going to shoot him in the face. That is an inconvenient truth for Deedy. Thank goodness you did not clone yourself and somehow made yourself to represent the 12 juror on the panel. You cannot see past your own nose.
on August 8,2013 | 11:11AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Except the trial consists of all testimony not just the ones you want. Not to mention they have to prove beyond a resonable doubt which they're not even coming close to.
on August 8,2013 | 11:42AM
hapaguy wrote:
You keep repeating "beyond a reasonable doubt" but from your comments its obvious you have no idea what that means. It does not mean "beyond ANY doubt" "its beyond REASONABLE doubt".......the definition of "reasonable" is "Having sound judgment; fair and sensible. Based on good sense". No one that has sound judgment and good sense, after watching the video and listening to the UNBIASED witness testimony, can come to any other conclusion than Deedy was trying to play Superman and interjected himself into something that was already pau. Deedy instigated Elderts by continually threatening to shoot him in the face. Deedy threw the first blow, and then when he was getting his hat handed to him drew his gun on an unarmed man and shot and killed him. Try to spin it any way you like but those are the facts in this case.....
on August 8,2013 | 01:03PM
control wrote:
no, what kailua means is that in order to convict, the jurors must feel beyond any reasonable doubt that deedy is guilty. so far everything you are presenting is one side to the case, as if everything the defense has said were lies or untruths. fortunately the jurors will have to take all testimony into consideration to decide on a verdict, and if they have some doubt they shouldn't convict. they also have to decide for themselves what they feel is the truth or non truth which is why there is some possibility deedy could be convicted (example, what would have happenned if out of 6 jurors on the zimm case 4 were black? guilty!!).
on August 8,2013 | 01:18PM
hapaguy wrote:
You don't have to explain to me what Kraised is saying I understand fully that he has no grasp on what "reasonable doubt" is. The defense is so weak. They provided NO unbiased witness testimony to refute: 1) Deedy repeatedly threatened to shoot Elderts in the face, 2) Deedy threw the first blow in the altercation, 3) Deedy shot first then they scuffled. NOT ONE UNBIASED EYWTINESS FOR THE DEFENSE TO REFUTE THE THREE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS OF THIS CASE!
on August 8,2013 | 01:25PM
MichelleBringas wrote:
Hapaguy, VERY WELL SAID. Keep it simple....then Deedy contradicted himself and said he did hear the woman tell him to let's go.....Sorry Kailua retard, Hapaguy is just pointing out some very inconvenient truths.....
on August 8,2013 | 02:50PM
TLehel wrote:
This. Everything this. Unbiased testimony is key and the prosecution has it. If Deedy was innocent then clearly the defense would have used those witnessess instead of the prosecution. But Deedy is not innocent, as the freaking unbiased witnessess have PROVED. YES I SAID PROVED, BECAUSE UNBIASED WITNESS>BIASED WITNESS ALWAYS. Anyone who hasn't realized this by now really needs to. When you have a murder case, who do you think is gonna be lying to save themself? The accused. The fact that Deedy's story is different than the unbiased, most likely sober witnesses, just shows how guilty this dude is. His testimony is basically this, "These two people unconnected to me and Elderts/Medeiros are and have no motive to tell anything other than the truth, are lying." What a fool.
on August 8,2013 | 03:43PM
control wrote:
deedy testified, now it will be up to the jurors to believe his story over the other witnesses and all your claims. to convict there has to be no doubt but since there are conflicting testimonies it will all depend if the jurors have any doubts on the case.
on August 8,2013 | 03:54PM
hapaguy wrote:
Well you and Kraised keep saying "no doubt" and I keep pointing out that it's "reasonable doubt". Again, the defense did not provide one eyewitness to rebut the most pertinent points of the Prosecutors case: 1) Deedy repeatedly threatened to shoot Elderts in the face, 2) Deedy threw the first blow in the altercation, 3) Deedy shot first then they scuffled. How can the defense create any reasonable doubt when they don't provide any evidence to refute the Prosecutors case?
on August 8,2013 | 04:26PM
Mypualani wrote:
And it's the State who has to bring it!!! and from DD said on the stand. I will wait for the summations of the attorneys. Futa bought the elements from DD no less. When she asked if he could exit, he danced around the question but final admitted that he could. Were laws being broken? Deedy did give it a try with the first kick thing, he claimed that Elderts assaulted him, first. DD explained that Elderts assaulted him with words and his Body language, that is why he had to kick Elderts, Elderts gets a slap to the face, Goofy gut jumps in and Is getting So Severely Beaten, that he didn't want medical attention?
on August 8,2013 | 09:35PM
s_and_b wrote:
if hpd was there undercover in deedy's place, gauranteed that the situation would not have escalated since they would have understood that elderts was just joking and horsing around local style...mainland style don't understand that and he took elderts actions "seriously" --- same way cannot joke about race on the mainland, where all locals here know when people joking aroudn about race and would never get upset --- if island radio 98.5 was on the mainland, they wouldn't last 1 day, where here, it's the funniest morning show of all time cause local people here understand that we make jokes about all races and colors...
on August 8,2013 | 10:54AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
That's BS. Elderts was being an aggressive bully and looking for a fight. He wasn't just playing "local" style. Local style isn't calling a random stranger the H word and telling someone they'll F you up.
on August 8,2013 | 11:11AM
t_faman wrote:
To whom? The witness testified that he didn't feel harassed.
on August 8,2013 | 01:40PM
control wrote:
so what? just because perrine didn't feel harassed doesn't mean squat. if you are watching an altercation you could perceive something might happen, especially since deedy was told about the local hot heads.
on August 8,2013 | 03:56PM
312guy wrote:
@t_faman he was just scared because he has to live here.
on August 8,2013 | 07:19PM
Mypualani wrote:
@ t_faman he was referring to DD, of course no one to back this up, West stated that all she heard or recalled was sounds, not words but she wasn't drunk according to DD. I guess we all react differently to stress. No one to testify. As for Elderts being aggressive, I don't see it until DD is instigating and asserting his authorial views, and throws the first kick. That was some good acting, DD even had time to pray for Elderts and said it to the jury, "I prayed that he would stop" stop what? what DD started? so I had no choice I had to shoot him. F that ! DD wasn't in his right mind either in fact he was the worst of the two.
on August 8,2013 | 09:52PM
lee1957 wrote:
Does the _b stand for baloney?
on August 8,2013 | 11:35AM
s_and_b wrote:
if you grew up here u would know what i'm talking about
on August 8,2013 | 08:51PM
Bully wrote:
Deedy should not have taken the stand. He telling the defense exactly what they want to hear.
on August 8,2013 | 10:57AM
Shh wrote:
Because it is the truth thats why
on August 8,2013 | 12:55PM
control wrote:
bully, he is on the defensive. your statement is confusing, do you mean the prosecution? Jurors?
on August 8,2013 | 03:56PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
The case is dead as soon as Hart introduces the past conviction for disorderly conduct and how he had to be restrained by multiple police Officers. The video isn't clear and the testimonies contradict each other. There's more than enough reasonable doubt once his past behavior comes into the picture.
on August 8,2013 | 11:03AM
george702 wrote:
I agree. That's where Brooke Hart will earn his fee. They will paint Elderts as a thug looking for a fight. That will be the final nail in the coffin of this acquittal. Not that they needed it. Do you think anything can get Prosecutor Futa to change her feeble monotone delivery. It's putting me to sleep. Civil depositions have more of a sense of urgency than her so called "cross examination". She is making Marcia Clarke from the OJ trial seem competent.
on August 8,2013 | 11:19AM
8082062424 wrote:
the judge said she will limit the details about that case that the defense can present to the jury.. wish on it be more like he had a disorderly charge before. your so anti local it sad. they really must have flushed you in intermediate school
on August 8,2013 | 11:24AM
Kailuaraised wrote:
Not anti local, just anti stupidity. If you want to be a drugged out moke and fight a cop then deal with the consequences. It'll come out he resisted arrest and had to be subdued. Hart's not stupid. That's why he put Deedy on the stand.
on August 8,2013 | 11:47AM
8082062424 wrote:
to you all the rest of the witlessness are not telling the truth. only Deddy. sorry all your post prove your anti local
on August 8,2013 | 12:45PM
8082062424 wrote:
And just when did Deedy tell him your under arrest? or read him his rights? seem he said he was waiting for HPD who i doubt would have arrested any one since there was no problem till deddy caused one. your so one sided it sad
on August 8,2013 | 12:50PM
hapaguy wrote:
Well finally one thing we can agree on: Hart's not stupid. He had to put Deedy on the stand because his defense is so weak. Putting the defendant on the stand in a murder trial is the last gasp of the defense that knows they are in trouble...its a hail mary pass with time running out.....
on August 8,2013 | 12:53PM
control wrote:
no, the news said that hart usually puts his client on the stand because he wants to show that his client is innocent and can withstand everything that the prosecution can throw out. Just look at the zimm case, many feel that he was guilty because he didn't testify, that he was he had something to hide and so didn't testify. Deedy had to testify because he had to explain his actions, testimony up to that point didn't explain deedy's side of the story. IMHO, the prosecution's cross is more of a hail mary, trying to get deedy to slip up but so far offerring very little to show deedy's guilt. but that's JMHO, the jurors could think otherwise.
on August 8,2013 | 01:22PM
hapaguy wrote:
Well bully for you that you buy whatever spin the defense attorneys are putting out there. So Hart says he always puts his defendants on the stand. That is such bull. Hart provided no unbiased witnesses to refute the Prosecutions case. It's a hail mary on Hart's part because their defense is so weak.....
on August 8,2013 | 01:29PM
control wrote:
your post only shows how biased you are and how much you are shovelling. we shall have to see how full of yourself you are when the verdict is read.
on August 8,2013 | 03:58PM
Mypualani wrote:
Hart put DD on the stand so that the defense could bring in Elderts Arrest record, but it seems that she limited the questioning, so things didn't go the way hart thought it would. The police officer only touched on certain things.
on August 8,2013 | 09:57PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Your right hapa, they need Deedy to say " I hoped and prayed". And then explain what Elderts actions were? Huh? " I had all this federal training regarding State security around the world, but I had a ah ha moment and felt my life was in danger.
on August 8,2013 | 03:47PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Kailuaraz, were you at that Kailua bar?
on August 8,2013 | 03:44PM
DaGuy wrote:
No it's not dead. The video shows who approaches who and continues to pester and be the aggressor. Look at how early Deedy pulled his right hand back to his gun and kept his hand back there. Clearly he was relying on the fact that he had a gun to approach Elderts. Deedy is on liquid courage. Even though Elderts had past incidents this video shows who approached who. Elderts was just waiting for his food.
on August 8,2013 | 01:19PM
waikane75 wrote:
You can actually see Elderts smiling in most of the footage before "trigger happy" Deedy approached his table to initiate the conflict.
on August 8,2013 | 01:58PM
HawaiiKaiGuy wrote:
Haven't been following this on a daily basis. If Elderts slumped over after the second shot; why the need for the third shot? Didn't the defense call an expert witness testifying that the Elderts was hit with the third shot? Sounds contradictory.
on August 8,2013 | 11:16AM
lee1957 wrote:
Maybe Deedy was gunning for Medeiros? After all, he's a bloothirsty killer.
on August 8,2013 | 11:36AM
Louis_Winthorpe_III wrote:
Was the trajectory of the bullet downwards? How if shooting Elderts upward per Deedy?
on August 8,2013 | 12:57PM
mcc wrote:
“I chose to respond immediately,” Deedy said. “That’s the way we’re trained if we see a violent situation escalating Was he on duty? If so how come he was drinking on duty?
on August 8,2013 | 11:27AM
Shh wrote:
Because as he was drunk running around town he forgot he was off duty and took it upon himself to save the city.
on August 8,2013 | 12:40PM
wave1 wrote:
What I don't get is that Deedy goes on and on about how he is trained and was briefed for this Hawaii detail. Did his agency not brief him on the local ways of how people can be treated and should be treated? One needs to know the local ways of Hawaii especially if you plan to go out drinking and carrying a gun at 2am in the morning. That includes growing a thick skin and not let people bother you when you get stink eye or a comment you do not like. Deedy should have thicker skin than what he demonstrates, especially if he wants to be a law enforcement officer. One thing I like about HPD, they for the most part hold there cool under stress, I give these guys a lot of credit.
on August 8,2013 | 11:58AM
Shh wrote:
Oh yeah. I'm sure HPD has heard it all! They just laugh it off.
on August 8,2013 | 12:43PM
control wrote:
and if medeiros and elderts started a fight with perrine deedy could be held responsible for not stopping the confrontation to begin with. damned if he did, damned if he didn't. no deedy was given a 10 second thing about locals and warned about locals and that was the extent of his training in hawaii. deedy was trying to stop what he thought was going to be a confrontation. I know others will say that elderts sat down, etc so no confrontation but we will never know what would have happenned.
on August 8,2013 | 12:49PM
IMVHOAgain wrote:
Correction, probation, not parole.
on August 8,2013 | 12:57PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Wave1, you don't need thick skin if you carry a gun. State Department protocol is totally different from regular police. Deedy did not have training for domestic disputes or dealing with drunks in restaurants. His job is guarding dignitaries, driving dignitaries, and protecting dignitaries. He fails on those things.
on August 8,2013 | 03:53PM
312guy wrote:
sure tell that to the family of the soldier that they shot and kill in waikiki, or the one they shot in waikele in the drive thru of kfc or laulusa family in palolo just to mention some HPD shootings
on August 8,2013 | 07:27PM
mongoosa wrote:
wave 1 must be or related to a cop. HPD for the most part has a lot to be desired. They are lazy and incompetent and only show up in huge numbers to one simple scene just to see what is going on. Nobody is doing anything. Look at Naki....he puts on his purple gloves and walks all around the place with his pretty gloves on, yet doesn't even render aid....oh he may have opened the door for the EMT's. His look is confused, he puts a gun on a counter where anyone could grab it. Common sense would be to secure the gun as evidence. He is rifling through Eldert's pockets in a very unprofessional manner. If I had a family member present that night at McDonald's, I would rather have Mr. Deedy's presence than wait forever for HPD. By then, local or not, there could have been more dead. You don't need a weapon to cause death. Simply hitting your head on the ground could do it.
on August 8,2013 | 10:44PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Anyone know if Shane Medeiros was charged with anything for pouinding on Adam Gutowski? Just asking.
on August 8,2013 | 12:13PM
8082062424 wrote:
that is a good question. and i believe he was not
on August 8,2013 | 12:46PM
IMVHOAgain wrote:
If you look on Ho'ohiki it seems that his parole was revoked from a previous conviction. There is not a case termination date so maybe he's still incarcerated?
on August 8,2013 | 12:52PM
8082062424 wrote:
then he would not have been there that night or taken the stand in this trial
on August 8,2013 | 01:21PM
IMVHOAgain wrote:
Bench warrant issued on 11/18/11, days after this incident. He was out at the time. 1/31/12 a revocation of his probation was ordered. Anyway, if he was incarcerated now I guess they would know exactly where to find him, lol...
on August 8,2013 | 03:25PM
Mensore wrote:
"I saw Mr. Perrine turn to Mr. Elderts when he said, ‘Just leave me alone,'" Deedy said. "He wasn't being bothered by anything anybody said as far as you could see?" Futa continued. "I saw Elderts again turn to him, Mr. Perrine, and say something," Deedy said. "I saw Mr. Perrine did not respond. … To me it looked intentional, like he was purposely not responding." If a couple is "fighting" like this in line at Longs does it require law enforcement intervention? Weak argument to me.
on August 8,2013 | 12:13PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT Mensore: yeah I would call the cops immediately get in between the couple and call the husband and wife names and threaten them, kick one of them and then when I am getting my olemu kicked by said couple, I will break out and shoot one of them and call it self defense.
on August 8,2013 | 10:04PM
xxNOTxx wrote:
With the defense now being able to present Eldert's past conviction, I believe the jury will be able to digest all of the evidence to confirm that on that morning at McDonald's Deedy was clearly the aggressor and had no right to use deadly force.
on August 8,2013 | 01:01PM
Jonas wrote:
Does anyone know what Medeiros did after Elderts was shot? I am curious to know if he stuck around, fled, or did something else. I didn't see the whole video, so I'm not sure if it shows or not.
on August 8,2013 | 01:06PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
I think he fled, because Elderts wasn't carrying, he knew Deedy was shooting. Look at the tape, they all fled.
on August 8,2013 | 03:56PM
Anonymous wrote:
In the video it looked like everyone fled but if you fast forward a bit it looked like Medeiros returned to try and help Elderts.
on August 8,2013 | 05:51PM
POG808 wrote:
Did'nt Deedy testify yesterday that Adam Gutowski was also joking, and acting "goofy?" So "we" are allowed to have fun and drink. But when "they" do it, it is harassment? jus sayin. Deedy has been shown to be the aggressor that night- taking responsibility, and escalating a situation to the point of murder.
on August 8,2013 | 01:23PM
onwardupward wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on August 8,2013 | 01:26PM
control wrote:
I'm sure that he is doing a lot right now, lol.
on August 8,2013 | 03:59PM
zelda123 wrote:
There would be a lot of dead people if it was OK to shoot someone for kicking your A** Deedy is a coward and a liar !
on August 8,2013 | 01:30PM
control wrote:
we could say that elderts and mediros were pnks and trouble makers too.
on August 8,2013 | 04:00PM
Tony96822 wrote:
At 1:36 PM Hawaii time, Mr. Deedy just helped himself give the jurors a decision to lose this case.
on August 8,2013 | 01:38PM
control wrote:
your opinion. some think he had to testify to support his justifiable self defense. we shall have to see whether the jurors believe him or have doubts on the charges.
on August 8,2013 | 04:01PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Over all, I think Deedy did a good job on the stand.

I think everyone got a little tired of hearing about his "training," and the jury might wonder why on an island full of Federal agents and various military and civilian police forces, Deedy is the first guy to go out drinking, start a fight, shoot up a McDonalds, and kill an unarmed man who wasn't breaking the law or threatening anyone before Deedy stirred things up. You'd think guys would be dropping like flies around here.

This was also Deedy's opportunity to answer question that everyone had, like "If you were concerned about Perrine, why didn't just sit down next to him and call the police?" and "What was Jennifer West saying to you when she was obviously trying to restrain you?"

It's too bad he suffers from convenient memory syndrome.

On a slightly humorous note, I bet that HPD officer was FUrIOUS to find out that the armed shooter was hanging around the victim, with his weapon re-concealed, and Deedy initially failed to mention the role he played in that mess.


on August 8,2013 | 01:45PM
t_faman wrote:
IMO- he was showing off his authority to his friends.
on August 8,2013 | 03:09PM
50skane wrote:
Deedy wants the jury to believe that he is a law enforcement officer like a regular patrol police officer..that's complete bull! He is a federal agent whose duties are to protect functions with government dignitaries and sometimes embassies! He is not a police officer who encounters all kinds of dangers from domestics to crazies with knifes and guns. He likens himself to a patrol officer who is supposed to serve and protect the general public, but he is not! He protects high profile government dignitaries and that's it! He is so full of it! I hope the prosecutor makes that clear when she cross examines him!
on August 8,2013 | 01:55PM
t_faman wrote:
Totally agree!!!
on August 8,2013 | 03:04PM
control wrote:
you are totally correct, deedy wasn't trained to handle situations like this and so used his judgement based on how he handles terrorists and his other functions (protecting embassies, etc.). as for full of it, no he just did what he thought was best, unfortunately it wasn't the right way to handle the situation.
on August 8,2013 | 04:04PM
50skane wrote:
manslaughter!
on August 8,2013 | 02:00PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Nah acquittal all the way.
on August 8,2013 | 04:03PM
myviewofthings wrote:
thank you Deedy job well done. one less.
on August 8,2013 | 02:40PM
xxNOTxx wrote:
the jury is probably so sick of hearing about his training----he sure didn't attend or fell asleep "When Deadly Force is Warranted" class was given
on August 8,2013 | 02:40PM
Tony96822 wrote:
At first I thought Prosecutor Futa had no tack, skills or chance, but man that lady is smart and a modern day Columbo. And mahalo Star Advertiser for allowing us into the court room.
on August 8,2013 | 02:51PM
rayhawaii wrote:
Why is it that everyone with a cheap cell phone camera's can take better pictures than these $5000-$10,000.00 bank and store cameras?
on August 8,2013 | 03:07PM
hapaguy wrote:
OMG the defense rests!? They never provided one unbiased eyewitness to refute any of the Prosecutors case! My gosh that has got to be one of the weakest defense cases ever put on in a murder trial in Hawaii......
on August 8,2013 | 03:15PM
control wrote:
they didn't need to, they had deedy testify. weak? it depends if you believe deedy or not. remember reasonable doubt? the jurors have to be convinced beyond all doubt to convict deedy. murder 2 is out of the question, manslaughter? possible depending on the jurors. but acquittal might be likely also.
on August 8,2013 | 04:06PM
hapaguy wrote:
Why do you keep repeating the same fallacious thing: "beyond all doubt". It's "beyond REASONABLE doubt". Can't you get that straight? It's two totally different meanings!
on August 8,2013 | 04:31PM
51butterflies wrote:
I would agree that defense witnesses, including Deedy were biased.
on August 8,2013 | 04:27PM
xxNOTxx wrote:
Deedy claimed that his 1st kick was not an offensive move, but rather a defensive move that beat Elderts offense move---all of a sudden Deedy is now a Ninja lol. It's funny how Deedy felt it was a defensive move, when most can tell from the video that Deedy can't physically fight his way out of a paper bag.
on August 8,2013 | 03:52PM
Tarakian wrote:
Your right, Deedy is not fighter. He should have continued to keep bystander between himself and Elderts and away from his firearm. Deedy chose instead to move around to get a better kick to stop Elderts forward movement to the agent and his firearm. Elderts was the better fighter and tackled and mounted Deedy, a federal agent. Deedy shot him in self defense as Elderts grabbed the agent's gun.Deedy not guilty.
on August 8,2013 | 04:40PM
Anonymous wrote:
Deedy should have let HPD handle the situation instead of get involved in something that had nothing to do with him. Further, he should not have been drinking and carrying a firearm PERIOD.
on August 8,2013 | 05:46PM
Tarakian wrote:
I agree, Deedy should of not involved himself and yes, not carry a firearm.
on August 8,2013 | 07:13PM
pcman wrote:
IRT Tarakian on Deedy. After Deedy took two shots at Elderts, Elderts probably felt he was fighting for his life so he tried to grab the gun. If Deedy didn't want to or didn't believe he could handle Elderts in a fair fist fight, Deedy should have backed off. Pulling the gun on an unarmed person was the wrong thing to do, then and now.
on August 8,2013 | 08:10PM
Rickyboy wrote:
What a bunch of crap from Deedy. His supposed training taught him to get away with murder.
on August 8,2013 | 03:58PM
Tarakian wrote:
Deedy, not guilty. Tried to diffuse heated conflict and ID himself as federal agent. It did not work, aggressors targeted him and later his friend, as the aggressors felt "challenged to a fight." As conflict escalated, Deedy should have left with friend's girlfriend and leave it to the cops to solve aggressors attitude in general and toward Mc Donald's patron. However, Deedy chose to stay to address aggressor Elderts and fight ensued. Elderts attacked an armed federal agent as the agent pulled his firearm to defend himself. Elderts did not back off or plea for his life, instead he persisted to grab the gun while striking the agent. If Eldert was able to take the gun and shoot the agent, He would be facing murder charges and not Deedy. Deedy not guilty!
on August 8,2013 | 04:00PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Pretty much sums it up.
on August 8,2013 | 04:06PM
Anonymous wrote:
The two non-biased witnesses to say that Deedy didn't identify himself as a federal agent was the McDonalds employee and security guard. So, how did you come to the conclusion that Deedy identified himself to Elderts and Medeiros???
on August 8,2013 | 05:44PM
Tarakian wrote:
Yes, based on the two non-biased witnesses, Deedy was not seen or heard of ID himself as federal agent. How I concluded that Deedy ID himself as federal agent was based on friend's girlfriend's and his own testimony. We can respectfully disagree.
on August 8,2013 | 07:38PM
Anonymous wrote:
And obviously Deedy's friend's girlfriend and he are both biased. Thus the reason for me mentioning the only 2 unbiased witnesses. By the same account we should take Medeiros' testimony into consideration since he said that Deedy did not identify himself. In trying to be objective, I'm ignoring Medeiros, West, Gutowski, and Deedy's testimony which are all biased.
on August 8,2013 | 08:01PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Diffuse a heated conflict? People waiting for their burgers?
on August 8,2013 | 06:28PM
pcman wrote:
IRT Tarakian. I agree that Deedy should have let the cops handle the arrest. Deedy was not trained or able to handle Elderts alone. Pushing and shoving ensued and Deedy kicked Elderts. When Deedy pulled his gun and fired it, Elderts probably felt he had to fight for "his" life." Anyone in the McDonalds could have been shot as Deedy also wasn't sure which shot killed Elderts. Two bullet holes in the walls proved he shot three times. If the second shot killed Elderts, he did not need to shoot the third shot. If the third shot killed Elderts, Deedy took two wild shots that could have hit anyone. If the judge will let the defense charge Elderts with disturbing the peace, then she should allow the prosecution to also charge Deedy with reckless endangerment.
on August 8,2013 | 08:02PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
If this is Deedy's idea of to serve and protect, kick the suspect first and get into a fracas, then we would have lots of deaths at restaurants from stink eyes and comments.
on August 8,2013 | 04:02PM
control wrote:
glad that you were there to witness the altercation. surprised that the prosection didn't call on you since you know it all.
on August 8,2013 | 04:11PM
Mythman wrote:
"stink eye" - do you know how locally moronic that is?
on August 8,2013 | 05:51PM
false wrote:
Just print side by side portraits of Deedy Before and Now. Which one shows effects of a "night on the town"? Which one shows a "parade dressed performer"/
on August 8,2013 | 05:03PM
RKC808 wrote:
As a local born and raised in Hawaii. I would like to personally thank Christopher Deedy for having enough balls to stand up to a punk, who had a history of making trouble. There;s just too many punks in Hawaii. Its so easy to get into any argument with one of these troublemakers on the street, in a bar, at the mall and even on the roads while driving. These two were looking for trouble and simply just picked on the wrong guy this time. Its not about race like some people are making it out to be. This punk picked on locals and tourists. Elderts got what he deserved. Im tired of going out and trying to enjoy myself only to have some punk ruin the fun. Aloha Mr. Deedy. The state of Hawaii should award you with an award for making Hawaii a safer place to live
on August 8,2013 | 05:12PM
pcman wrote:
IRT RKC on safer place. I hope you aren't caught in a small place with somebody shooting up the place trying to defend himself against local bums. You or your loved one could be shot as an innocent bystander. Deedy should at least be jailed for reckless endangering the public at McDonalds. This is not a racial or local vs mainland issue. This is about the law of the aina, not of the mainland.
on August 8,2013 | 07:32PM
george702 wrote:
"In a second day of cross-examination, Honolulu Deputy Prosecutor Janice Futa pressed Deedy on key points in the confrontation" I think reporters Ken Kobayashi and Craig Gima must be high school classmates of Prosecutor Futa. What they meant is as Ms. Futa's worthless, pointless, feeble, colossal waste of time in sheepishly reasking all of Mr. Hart's direct put the jury to sleep. I have never ever ever heard of a murder case where the Prosecution didn't call a single rebuttal witness!!!!! That's absolutely shocking! The Prosecuting Attorney's office of the City and County of Honolulu needs to seriously reevaluate her performance. I hate scum bag defense lawyers more than anything on the face of the Earth and usually have deep respect for the Prosecutors, but in this case the performance has been abysmal and the family of Eldert's should be demanding answers as to how the assignment went to her.
on August 8,2013 | 05:13PM
oioman wrote:
Ok, I've read enough BS. Let me ask you all this question: If Deedy was a local, off-duty policeman from HPD and the circumstances ended up exactly the same, would there be this much controversy? I don't think so! There is so much reaction to this case because Deedy is a white caucasian from the east coast.....And all you Deedy haters are not predudice? Think about it! Deedy might go to jail but he did us all a favor....one less punk to harass us good guys. And if you know what an "oio" is than you know that I am local.
on August 8,2013 | 05:22PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Problem is Oio, there never was a case of an off duty HPD shooting an unarmed man at a McDonalds after bar hopping. Has nothing to do with a Caucasian agent. More of an intoxicated federal agent shooting an unarmed U.S.citizen for no reason.
on August 8,2013 | 06:39PM
RKC808 wrote:
For NO reason??? Didn't you see the Federal Agent on the ground and being attacked by Elderts?? Didn't you see the two "mokes" making trouble to Mr. Perrine at the McDonalds counter? Those two punks were making trouble. Mr. Deedy did Hawaii a favor by getting rid of this punk. He should move here and get rid of more of these troublemakers.
on August 8,2013 | 07:05PM
pcman wrote:
IRT RKC Fed agent. Actually, Elderts could have fallen on Deedy after he was shot and they both fell to the ground at the same time. I agree that Deedy did Hawaii a favor, but it was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It should have been in the back alley alone by themselves. The facts remain Deedy was under the influence and shot Elderts. If you have ever sat on a jury, emotions and witnesses cancel out each other. The only facts will make the difference. The same applied in the Zimmerman/Trayvon case. As the Puerto Rican juror said, she had to go with the facts and the law even if she felt Zimmerman was wrong.
on August 8,2013 | 07:44PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
RKC808, maybe Deedy will move here as in Halawa. They he can work on those brother troublemakers,lol. Oh but he won't have the luxury of alcohol and Glock.
on August 8,2013 | 07:57PM
Anonymous wrote:
So Elderts was arrested in 2008 for challenging other people to fight but hasn't been convicted of a crime or had another incident like that happen until his death in 2011. Ever heard the phrase, "live and learn"? Point is that I got a speeding ticket when I was 18 (2 years younger than Elderts at the time of his arrest) and have never gotten another speeding ticket again since that first incident. Live and learn. It's speculation at this point to say that Elderts learned from that arrest but to wholly characterize a person as a fighter (or in my case a bad driver) because of ONE incident in their past is unfair.
on August 8,2013 | 05:38PM
RKC808 wrote:
Sounds like he Died because he didn't learn his lesson.
on August 8,2013 | 07:07PM
Anonymous wrote:
By the same token, sounds like Deedy should be convicted for murder. Pure speculation.
on August 8,2013 | 07:30PM
51butterflies wrote:
A gun, alcohol, many mistakes, misperceptions, irrational thinking, blaming the deceased, trying to use another's past to build a case to make excuses. self- defense =NO murder= No manslaughter -or other responsibility Deedy is as responsible for his part in this tragedy as Elderts. Deedy's character must have flaws also. He has made mistakes in his past. For once, I would like to know justice -for the deceased and the defender will be served. I am for neither side, I am just unhappy with attorney games and with all the reckless comments made about this death and about the deceased. Deedy is the one on trial, yet Eldert's' being' is so defaced. There are strengths and weaknesses(good and bad) about each of us, yet I don't hear the balance in many of the comments made in the media and in the space below.
on August 8,2013 | 06:11PM
lee1957 wrote:
A man walks into a bank with a handgun drawn and a mask over his head. By the prosecutors logic, no crime has been committed, therefore, any law enforcement officer who is witnessing should just walk away.
on August 8,2013 | 06:42PM
Anonymous wrote:
And by your logic me yelling and hitting my husband in what could be construed as domestic violence calls for a law enforcement officer walking by to intervene and shoot me.
on August 8,2013 | 06:50PM
Anonymous wrote:
And I should note that if you're drawing a parallel between my fictional domestic violence situation and Elderts and Perrine's exchange that Elders and Perrine did not actually yell nor hit each other. So what potential crime was committed again, lee1957?
on August 8,2013 | 06:53PM
Kapaho wrote:
Who to believe? Too many discrepancies in statements from witnesses. This is not an open and shut case. It will boil down to "beyond a reasonable doubt". If there is any doubt on the part of jurors, then they must acquit. If there is no doubt, then they should come back with a manslaughter conviction, not murder.
on August 8,2013 | 07:20PM
312guy wrote:
for all of you that are talking about 911 being called use your freedom of information and see howw many reports of fights that HPD was responding to that night in waikiki, they were busy. if HPD were called by the time they would have responded, Elderts and Medeiros would have gave that boy lickings and been gone. live by the sword die by the sword
on August 8,2013 | 07:41PM
Anonymous wrote:
True but the moment Deedy flashed his gun I bet HPD would've been there in a heartbeat. Live by the sword die by the sword, Deedy should die by a gunshot wound to the chest then.
on August 8,2013 | 07:54PM
lynnh wrote:
Actually he should receive a community service award.
on August 8,2013 | 08:18PM
312guy wrote:
@anonymous the phrase live by the sword die by sword means - If you use violence against other people, you can expect to have violence used against you
on August 8,2013 | 10:31PM
Anonymous wrote:
Exactly, which means that since Deedy used deadly force against someone he should be met with deadly force right back as you insinuated with Elderts behavior.
on August 9,2013 | 06:01PM
lynnh wrote:
Yep, I would. Violent Bit ch!
on August 8,2013 | 08:07PM
lynnh wrote:
I see a plus in this... I can actually go to Board Riders in Kailua again without having to watch my back for one less punk.
on August 8,2013 | 08:11PM
Anonymous wrote:
Because Boardriders in Kailua is full of "punks" and not the hundreds of tourists that are turning it into the new Waikiki...right...
on August 8,2013 | 08:30PM
lynnh wrote:
Anybody remember a young mother who was beaten to death by her ex-boyfriend with a butt of a shotgun in Kailua right in the middle of the street? Nobody did anything to help the poor woman. Had a man like Deedy been there, she would most likely would still be alive and he would be in H E L L.
on August 8,2013 | 08:16PM
lynnh wrote:
Anybody remember a young mother who was beaten to death by her ex-boyfriend with a shotgun in Kailua right in the middle of the street? Nobody did anything to help the poor woman. Had a man like Deedy been there, she would most likely would still be alive and he would be in rotting in a hole.
on August 8,2013 | 08:17PM
Anonymous wrote:
Actually you're wrong. There was a bystander who intervened but the crazed boyfriend beat him with the shotgun too. We should be grateful that Deedy didn't kill anyone else in McDonalds that night.
on August 8,2013 | 08:32PM
Mypualani wrote:
wow Lynn what did he do to you?
on August 8,2013 | 08:42PM
spam wrote:
We watched the whole thing. Looks like Elders and his friend joking with the cashiers when Deedy's friend came to the counter and started to order. Elders tries to joke with him in a drunken talking bubbles kind of way. He didn't think it was funny. Elders then went to sit down and wait for his food. Enter Deedy, walks over to Elders table and says something. A female tries to pull Deedy away but he goes to the other side of the table and continues talking. Something he said angered Elders and he stands up and a bunch of people get in between. The same girl grabs Deedy and tries to get him to walk. He takes a couple of steps back and takes out his gun. Elders gets closer and Deedy kicks him. Elders then rushes him a knocks him to the ground. Elders is holding Deedy's arm as they wrestle out of the shot but Deedy emerges with blood on his shirt looking for shells on the ground. Where does it shows Elders bullying and beating anyone? he was sitting at the table. He knew he wanted to kill Elders. This is premeditated MURDER.
on August 8,2013 | 10:39PM
spam wrote:
Watch the video! Where is the bullying? all there was conversation in which Deedy's friend didn't look happy. They both went to sit down and wait for their food and Deedy's pal didn't get beaten he was just sitting and waiting. before this all happened the security guard was already there so why did Deedy being drunk felt like he needed to take over? his girl friend all through the video is grabbing Deedy and tried to get him to leave? he refused.
on August 8,2013 | 10:53PM
MDA wrote:
maybe the prosecutor needs to ask the retired officer why didn't they shoot Elderts back in 2008? Didn't the police back then think that Elderts was putting the lives of the folks he wanted to fight in danger? Why didn't the police use deadly force then? This fricker...Deedy... he couldn't wait for this opportunity... he wanted this.... he was probably bullied all through his life... now, that he gots some authority... he could finally put a bully in his place. This was probably his first chance as a person with authority to puff his chest against a bully. I do believe that Deedy probably wished that Elderts would back down. Deedy wanted the power and satisfaction to demean a bully. But, his one mistake..... he didn't understand the culture. Deedy only here two days. Deedy never know that local bradduhs not going go limp because of a gun. Local bradduhs already this far into confrontation.... they only going go HARD! No can back down now! I feel for Elderts family.... he may have been a trouble maker.... but he didn't deserve this outcome.
on August 8,2013 | 11:10PM
Popeye wrote:
Having the Judge allow testimony on Eldert's prior arrest and resisting arrest in the Kailua bar fight a couple years ago may of summed up the jurys decision. Not Guilty. Would not be surprised if the jury comes to a decision in less than 1-2 hours. Should have a verdict on Friday. Jury wants this over quick!
on August 8,2013 | 11:17PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News