Quantcast

Monday, July 28, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

No verdict after fourth full day of Deedy trial deliberations

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 04:54 p.m. HST, Aug 22, 2013


A Circuit Court jury was unable to reach a verdict today in its fourth full day of deliberations in State Department special agent Christopher Deedy’s murder trial.

The eight men and four women left the courthouse at about 4 p.m. They will resume deliberations on Monday morning, according to court officials.

Deedy, 29, of Arlington, Va., who was here for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference, is charged with shooting Elderts, 23, of Kailua, the early morning of Nov. 5, 2011, at the McDonald’s Kuhio Avenue restaurant.

The high-profile trial in Circuit Judge Karen Ahn’s courtroom included 20 days of testimony spanning five weeks.

The panel must decide whether Deedy should be acquitted or convicted of second-degree murder, which carries a mandatory life term with parole. It does not have the option of returning a conviction on the lesser offense of manslaughter







 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(15)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Hung jury. Let's gear up for 2014!
on August 22,2013 | 04:15PM
Mypualani wrote:
This shows that the Jury is taking their service seriously , they didn't come back with a quik verdict, maybe they are carefully going over the evidence and looking at the facts rather than feelings and emotions. One poster on his suport site stated that the locals on the jury were probly harassing and threatening the white jurors in this case because Hawaii is so corrupt. LOL. yeah right. This is day four and this is starting to look like it's hung.
on August 22,2013 | 04:21PM
2NDC wrote:
Nah, they're just enjoying the time off from work and the Zip Packs they get for lunch. I hear that half like "Seattle's Best" and the other half like "Starbuck's" which is brought in fresh to them every couple of hours. ;-)
on August 22,2013 | 04:39PM
Mypualani wrote:
IRT 2NDC: Lol. Yeah I get your point.
on August 22,2013 | 06:29PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Milking this thing for all it's worth.
on August 22,2013 | 08:16PM
Mahalo wrote:
YEP I agree, HUNG Jury
on August 22,2013 | 04:23PM
64hoo wrote:
I feel the jury already agreed on a verdict a couple days ago, I feel there going over every evidence to convince themselves that they do not have any doubt what they agree on. as for the verdict I can't even guess.
on August 22,2013 | 05:11PM
GorillaSmith wrote:
I'm glad to see the jury taking its time. The mountain of contradictory evidence needs to be weighed in its entirety in order to reach a fair verdict. Their having failed to reach a verdict in a trial with 20 days of testimony after only 4 days of deliberations should not be read as an indication of a hung jury.
on August 22,2013 | 05:16PM
roxeee wrote:
they resume on monday? why not continue tomorrow?
on August 22,2013 | 06:12PM
xxNOTxx wrote:
I don't know why, but even though the entire trial, every week started on Monday and ended on Thursday with Friday as always an off day.
on August 22,2013 | 06:46PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Come on now,Circuit Court is part of the State. Aloha Friday.
on August 22,2013 | 07:27PM
Mypualani wrote:
AAAHHHHH ! Aloha Friday...no work till Monday.
on August 22,2013 | 08:42PM
RandolphW wrote:
I side with Aloha Friday. We all need a day off.
on August 22,2013 | 08:23PM
kelbells34 wrote:
Deedy must feel like Zimmerman in hiding. Except, Deedy can't pack his gun. I highly doubt he can go out without some kind of harassment.
on August 22,2013 | 09:50PM
Popeye wrote:
Was on a jury a few years ago two of the members acted like they had been sleeping through the whole trial. Members spent many hours rehashing the whole trial so the voting would be unanimous. Was a real chore. Some people should not serve on jurys,either they are not interested in doing a good job or just not smart enough to figure out what is going on.
on August 22,2013 | 11:00PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan

Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War