Friday, July 25, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 21 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Hearing to set retrial for Deedy postponed to Sept. 13

By Star Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 11:19 a.m. HST, Aug 28, 2013

A hearing to set the date for State Department special agent Christopher Deedy’s retrial for second-degree murder has been postponed from Friday until Sept. 13, according to the state Judiciary.

Circuit Judge Karen Ahn had scheduled the hearing for Friday after she declared a mistrial Monday when a Circuit Court jury reported it was deadlocked in the case.

The jury had deliberated for about five days before it reached an impasse and said further deliberations would not help the panel unanimously agree on a verdict.

Deedy, 29, of Arlington, Va., who was in Hawaii to help provide security for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation conference, is charged with murdering Kollin Elderts, 29, of Kailua, early Nov. 5, 2011.

COMMENTS

entrkn wrote:
I predict aqcuittal
on August 28,2013 | 11:23AM
GorillaSmith wrote:
I'd spell it differently but I do agree - in the unlikely event there is a retrial.
on August 28,2013 | 12:27PM
Fred01 wrote:
I predict dismissal.
on August 28,2013 | 03:04PM
Kailuaraised wrote:
And here it comes, the dismissal of charges. Hart probably already filed for dismissal. I bet it's coming. No way a second trial actually happens.
on August 28,2013 | 11:28AM
control wrote:
same judge, same prosecutors, you would think a second trial won't be much different than the first but if the same judge has to make the decision she probably won't have the smarts to realize that it will be difficult to get a murder 2 conviction.
on August 28,2013 | 04:04PM
Get an all female jury and there is a distinct possibilty of an acquital. Lets see, the last vote was 8 to 4 with a hung jury, and the composition of the panel was 6 female and 6 males. Aside from the George Zimmerman trial, an all female panel will deliberate quickly just because their sense of justice is much more forgiving and magnanimous.
on August 28,2013 | 11:46AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Not to mention their hairdresser is waiting...oh wait .... I didn't mean that honey.... can I come home tonight.
on August 28,2013 | 02:27PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
They also have to go shi shi a lot.
on August 28,2013 | 02:57PM
toad103410 wrote:
How much more money will a retrial cost? Total waste of time, money, and human resources. I have egg on my face because before the trial began I predicted a manslaughter verdict. Shows you how much I know!
on August 28,2013 | 12:48PM
Peacenik wrote:
Retrial totally unnecessay. Hung jury should mean acquittal. I want to see Medeiros go on trial for his huge part in this fiasco. Also wondering why Dinnan trial seems to be be swept under the rug? Where's the outrage here?
on August 28,2013 | 12:52PM
8082062424 wrote:
the Dinnan case happen all of 2 months ago give it time. and the fact that the FBI is also looking into this case say it will not be swept under the rug. Now the Deedy trail happen over 2 years ago and just went to trail. .
on August 28,2013 | 01:49PM
Yes I want to see Medeiros get charged also it is a sham that he has not been charged with anything yet we are going to try Deedy twice??? Sounds like double jeopardy to me...
on August 28,2013 | 07:55PM
Shh wrote:
It's obvious that Deedy is going to get away with killing Elderts so I think it's a waste of time and our money. I hope Elderts family are able to get some kind of closure but I'm not sure they ever will. May their minds be at peace.
on August 28,2013 | 03:14PM
control wrote:
sure they will, they hired green to get something out of it. probably from the feds.
on August 28,2013 | 04:01PM
atilter wrote:
maybe!???.....a criminal vedict would have been a significant factor in the outcome of their civil suit.
on August 28,2013 | 04:33PM
312guy wrote:
Shh: do you really think they hired green for have closure? no! they are finally going to get something out of their troubled son. They should go after Medeiros for his part in their sons death.
on August 28,2013 | 04:46PM
sailfish1 wrote:
Why should the family that raises a dysfunctional, druggie, good-for-nothing punk get anything? They are partly responsible for his demise. Oh yeah, they should sue themselves.
on August 28,2013 | 06:54PM
control wrote:
total waste of time to retry deedy. doubtful another set of jurors will come to a unanimous decision, esp for murder 2.
on August 28,2013 | 04:02PM
atilter wrote:
given the amount of notoriety and publicity in the local media, and the jury's degree of difficulty in conscientiously arriving at a compelling verdict, the additional costs, both direct and opportunity, do not support a re-trial. save the money!! let's move on!!!!! it's time to heal!!!!
on August 28,2013 | 04:27PM
Heinbear wrote:
Yikes, Friday the 13th...not a lucky day Chris!
on August 28,2013 | 06:12PM
Ewaduffer wrote:
I expect no new trial at all.
on August 28,2013 | 07:19PM