Quantcast

Thursday, July 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 4 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Hawaii Kai fire caused by malfunctioning torch

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 02:26 a.m. HST, Aug 31, 2013



A late-night fire destroyed a Hawaii Kai home Thursday, displacing five people.

No was injured in the fire at 366 Hanamaulu St., which also destroyed a vehicle in the home's carport and caused superficial damage to a neighboring home, according to Honolulu Fire Department officials.

Firefighters were dispatched at 10:34 p.m., and the house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The blaze was brought under control at 10:59 p.m.

Fire investigators classified the cause as accidental. The fire began in a rear bedroom and was caused by a malfunction of a propane gas torch that was being used to light candles.

Damage is estimated at $560,000 to the structure and its contents. Damage to the vehicle, a Toyota sedan, is estimated at $20,000. Damage to the adjacent home is less than $1,000

Thirty-five firefighters from five engine and two ladder companies fought the blaze, according to fire officials.

Five persons were home at the time of the fire and escaped without injuries before firefighters arrived.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 4 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(4)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Wazdat wrote:
WOW talk about LOLO
on August 31,2013 | 06:53AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
My friend's home and car was totally destroyed by unattended candles.My daughter was inside and was lucky to get out. No one was injured, but house was totally destroyed.
on August 31,2013 | 07:13AM
Wpsinc wrote:
The purpose of a propane torch is to ignite things... Looks like it worked pretty well!
on August 31,2013 | 08:33AM
Roosevelt wrote:
Who lights candles with a propane torch? Wouldn't a match work?
on August 31,2013 | 05:39PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News