Quantcast

Thursday, July 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 4 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Electrical malfunction of dryer may have caused Hilo house fire

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 03:05 a.m. HST, Sep 14, 2013

An occupant Friday morning escaped a fire that heavily damaged a Hilo house that may have started in a dryer.

Hawaii Fire Department officials said fire units responded to a structure fire at 475 W. Kawailani St. at 6:12 a.m. and found the house one-third involved in fire. The fire was reported under control at 6:30 a.m.

The fire started in the garage and extended to the living area above the garage and into the main living area.  

Property loss is estimated at $80,000, but two vehicles were also damaged, adding $20,000 in damages, fire officials said.

Investigators are concentrating on an electrical malfunction in a dryer.

No injuries were reported, and the American Red Cross was assisting the occupant.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 4 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(4)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
mochiko wrote:
Many people pop a load of laundry into the clothes dryer and then go out. I think that's dangerous to leave your dryer running while no one's home. It can malfunction!
on September 13,2013 | 04:23PM
mikethenovice wrote:
Good point. We won't leave a infant home alone. Also keep the lint screen filter clean of the flammable lint.
on September 14,2013 | 07:30AM
mikethenovice wrote:
Who needs a dryer living in sunny Hawaii.? Just hang it up and save on energy costs.
on September 14,2013 | 07:28AM
mikethenovice wrote:
Plus the Muphy's Law of something bad occuring as soon as you turn your eyes away.
on September 14,2013 | 07:32AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News