Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 34 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Lawyer: Hip-hop dancer tricked into confessing to fatal stabbing

By Nelson Daranciang

LAST UPDATED: 03:27 a.m. HST, Sep 28, 2013

<br /><br />Craig T. Kojima / ckojima@staradvertiser.com<br />Jacob Le pleaded not guilty in Hono­lulu District Court on Monday to the Oct. 3 stabbing death of Brent Keola­oka­lani Kanae.<br />

The lawyer for accused killer Jacob Le told a state jury Friday morning that someone else fatally stabbed Brent Kanae in a stairwell at Ala Moana Center last October.

Deputy State Public Defender Lee Hayakawa said Honolulu police tricked Le, 27, into making a false confession and failed to follow up on other leads.

"The killer is still out there. Jacob Le did not kill Brent Kanae," Hayakawa said.

Le and Kanae, 23, were neighbors, best friends and members of the same hip-hop, break dancing group. Le even performed a dance at Kanae's funeral in tribute to his friend before police said he confessed to the killing.

COMMENTS

jotobuddy23 wrote:
I think it was either OJ Simpson or Lynette Kekua
on September 27,2013 | 12:36PM
UhhDuhh wrote:
Isn't it Lennay?
on September 27,2013 | 03:07PM
jotobuddy23 wrote:
Lynette is her sister
on September 27,2013 | 03:53PM
Heinbear wrote:
Lol!
on September 28,2013 | 09:19AM
joseph007 wrote:
Amazing what defense attorneys say. Nothing happened. Their is no body. My client didn't confess, no one was killed, it was self defense, etc., etc. Ain't is great to have a lawyer lie for you. The butler did it.....
on September 28,2013 | 08:56AM
juscasting wrote:
Don't let his looks fool us. These types can be really SCARY!
on September 27,2013 | 12:42PM
allie wrote:
Bad artist and bad murderer. Hideous sight to behold
on September 27,2013 | 02:10PM
KenjiTail wrote:
Ummm... How do you trick someone into confessing? "Sooo... you're not saying that you didn't not stab him???"
on September 27,2013 | 01:01PM
UhhDuhh wrote:
Das funny. I would confess if they asked me that. "I did not do what you said I did not."
on September 27,2013 | 03:10PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
It begin something like "Hey look we got three eye witnesses who picked you out of the line-up. You gotta do the right thing and man up. If you do we can tell the judge you confessed, cooperated, and took responsibility. We can ask the judge and parole board to take it easy on you and put you in minimum security. If you don't, we can't help you, and with three guys picking you out, you're going down, and with no cooperation, you are going to do hard time in Halawa. So just confess and let us help you out" Not hard to imagine that a 20 something year old hip hop dancer would be scared out of his wits might just confess. That being said, Nah the buggah guilty.
on September 27,2013 | 03:38PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
The thing about this country is that if we have lawyers, it means that they can say anything to defend their clients. When was the last time u found paper money on the ground and u kept it? I know someone got $10 off of me in 1997 because as I was leaving a Satellite City Hall, I counted my change and I was $10 short. On the brighter side, as I walked into the Stan Sheriff Center within the last month, I dropped my driver's license after buying a ticket to see the Wahine Volleyball team play, and a Good Samaritan following me picked it up and said "this is yours", and I said "omg thank you so much".

If one is brought up to be dishonest, one will continue to be dishonest throughout their lives until the ultimate happens. If this guy gets off, then down the road something will happen, as it did to OJ when he got caught in that armed robbery deal. I am not saying this guy did this, however if the real perp is out there, then why has the authorities not caught Nicole Brown Simpson's perp yet? What goes around comes around, as a friend at work educated me, in 2004.

on September 27,2013 | 01:04PM
toad103410 wrote:
Yeah, right! I know the public defender has a job to do but does she really believe his (new) story?
on September 27,2013 | 01:06PM
allie wrote:
The guy is guilty but don't blame the public defender for doing his job.
on September 27,2013 | 02:11PM
joseph007 wrote:
that's the problem allie. the public defender, like all defense lawyers, are not sworn in "to tell the truth and nothing but the truth" they all are "just doing their job", like the guys throwing babies in ovens in Nazi Germany. getting their client off is their job, and the heck with the public.
on September 28,2013 | 08:59AM
Bully wrote:
I confessed to killing my friend but I was tricked by the cops to confessing to the murder. Im an idiot.
on September 27,2013 | 01:29PM
krusha wrote:
He probably realized that he wouldn't be getting out of jail for a long time, so decided to go for the hail mary play to try and get out... Pretty much has nothing to lose since he screwed himself already with that sworn confession....
on September 27,2013 | 01:39PM
Public Defender has a hard row to hoe, if not for his confession. Currently there are no other suspects. How do you overcome the confession? By as the article indicate, was fooled into making a confession. His only defense!
on September 27,2013 | 02:10PM
Oops sent for approval, drats! CAn't figure them out.
on September 27,2013 | 02:11PM
st1d wrote:
as proof that he is easily tricked, she will introduce evidence that he was tricked into thinking that he is a hip hop dancer.
on September 27,2013 | 02:31PM
bruddahlee wrote:
What a "crock of s**t"!!!
on September 27,2013 | 02:52PM
gobows wrote:
always ask for a lawyer when the start questioning you.
on September 27,2013 | 02:53PM
gobows wrote:
'they'
on September 27,2013 | 02:54PM
gobows wrote:
Hayakawa going for the "reasonable" doubt defense. Wonder if that dude was "smart" enough to give them a written and signed confession.
on September 27,2013 | 02:55PM
gobows wrote:
Le should say, "Deedy did it"
on September 27,2013 | 02:55PM
NotNasti wrote:
If you remember the movie "My Cousin Vinnie," starring Joe Pesci, during the interrogation by the sheriff, he was asked if he shot the store clerk. Ralph Macchio's character responded, "I shot the store clerk?" At trial, because the statement was not recorded, the sheriff testified, "when I asked him if he shot the store clerk, he replied, I shot the store clerk." If the police did not record the "confession," they can say anything. Recording the interview is as much for the suspect's protection as it is a law enforcement tool. Lets hope HPD recorded the confession, otherwise Le can say they made up the confession, and there is no proof otherwise.
on September 27,2013 | 03:12PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Sounds like the Metro Squad is back in action at HPD. We older dudes remember the Metro Squad, not nice.
on September 27,2013 | 03:32PM
NotNasti wrote:
Forcing "perps" to bob for toads/frogs in the ditch by the Waikiki Shell? That Metro squad?
on September 27,2013 | 03:50PM
Papio001 wrote:
das da one...
on September 27,2013 | 06:55PM
ClearHeaded wrote:
I don't know how some lawyers sleep at night.
on September 27,2013 | 04:20PM
oxtail01 wrote:
If what his lawyer claims is true, this guy should still be locked up to prevent his mental dysfunction from spreading to the rest of the population
on September 27,2013 | 04:21PM
tigerwarrior wrote:
It is not uncommon to hear about innocent people who falsely confess to crimes such as murder which they did not commit. This is especially true amongst young men. Pulitzer-Prize winning investigative reporter said it best when he stated, "Put a kid in a locked room for 10-20 hours and they want their mama and will say just about anything to get out of there..." While I definitely don't have enough facts to make a sound judgement, I am a bit curious as to the duration of the interrogation police had with Le and whether or not they resorted to coercion or overly manipulative tactics in getting the "right answer" out of him. There must be a reason why there is a growing number of young men around the country who are wrongfully imprisoned primarily because of making a false confession. Perhaps, if such a confession will turn out to be the key piece of incriminating evidence prosecutors use--hopefully this confession will be taken in context of what really went on during the interrogation.
on September 27,2013 | 06:17PM
Proctor93 wrote:
Oh, this is too funny. From the picture and the headline, it does indeed look like a "trick" gone bad...
on September 27,2013 | 06:33PM
808warriorfan wrote:
So why would this guy confess to killing a so called friend ????? Let's say my or your best friend was murdered. Would you confess to killing this person ????? There is no way the authorities could "coerce" me to confess if I knew I didn't do the foul deed.
on September 27,2013 | 06:42PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
He must have realized that police have no evidence implicating him except for the confession.
on September 27,2013 | 06:54PM