Quantcast
  

Saturday, April 19, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Stevie Wonder finally performing in Hawaii -- for a private show

By Star Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 08:22 p.m. HST, Oct 04, 2013


It's no blunder: Stevie Wonder is slated to perform a private concert Saturday night in Waikiki.

The acclaimed singer-songwriter will perform for an Oracle Corp. audience at Ainahau Triangle at Fort DeRussy, according to longtime concert promoter Tom Moffatt.

By sundown today, a large stage, along with a tent, booths and scaffolding, had already been erected at the Fort DeRussy concert site. 

A sound check blared country music over a speaker system and lights set up above and around the stage bathed the area in color.

Oracle CEO Larry Ellison purchased the island of Lanai last year from Castle & Cooke.

Wonder's Waikiki concert comes more than a year after the so-called "Wonder Blunder," when the University of Hawaii was scammed out of $200,000 in a bogus Wonder benefit concert.

The debacle shook public confidence in UH leadership, and led to the ouster of then athletic director Jim Donovan.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(8)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Ben ask if u can hire Stevie.
on October 4,2013 | 06:48PM
iwanaknow wrote:
Isn't the Governor out of town (went vacation to France?)..........so bad he's not here to give Stevie a big aloha hug. On the other hand see what you can do when you got alot of money to throw around..................you bring in the best and rub it in our nose.
on October 4,2013 | 08:06PM
berrygood wrote:
Shouldn't UH try and tap Larry Ellison to donate to the school..I would bet he would see an opportunity to engratiate himself unto the local community and consider it money well spent..After all the guy is filthy...How 'bout Oracle stadium..This is one guy that UH needs to talk to..Not just for sports..Jmo
on October 4,2013 | 09:58PM
berrygood wrote:
sorry "ingratiate" ..No spell check..lol
on October 4,2013 | 10:00PM
Bdpapa wrote:
Stevie, love you but be real!
on October 4,2013 | 09:13PM
tutulady wrote:
How did Ellis manage to have a concert at Ft. DeRussy? Isn't that a military site?
on October 4,2013 | 11:37PM
what wrote:
Interesting that he didn't have his private party on his private Hawaiian Island. Guess his guests wanted to stay at the Trump and be among the dining and excitement of Waikiki instead of quiet dead Lanai.
on October 5,2013 | 01:25AM
flying1431 wrote:
What I wanna know how come some of the major promoters like Tom Moffat and some of the others guys can't get Stevie or other acts to perform in concert here? I hear on the TV that Moffat says that promoters usually don't know that artists perform here because its a private concert-Tom that is BS! you are one of the major promoters here and you say you don't know what is going on in town with the entertainment scene in Honolulu???? Also, why not try to reach out to these artists when they are here to see if they would like to do a concert a few days after their private concert or for a concert a few months later? Nobody asks these questions including the media and its frustrating. That is why I go to Vegas or other cities on the mainland to see the bands I like because the promoters here can't seem to bring the big ones. I have to give some credit though as BAMP project was able to bring the Cure down for a concert which is huge because the Cure is one of the most influential bands from the 80s. That being said, promoters, PLEASE bring more big concerts here such as Fleetwood Mac!! Why not, Mick Fleetwood has a home and restaurant on Maui, you would think a promoter would be able to bring the band down for a concert in Hawaii. Bring Duran Duran, Depche Mode and some of the other big time acts that are on tour currently or will be in 2014 to Hawaii! LETS DO THIS!!!
on October 4,2013 | 11:52PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News