Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 16, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Faulty light fixture blamed for fire at Lahaina home

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 03:11 a.m. HST, Oct 05, 2013


Quick action by a resident contained a fire in a garage under a 2-story home in Lahiana Friday evening.

Maui County firefighters responded to a report of smoke and flames coming from the home, but the son of the homeowner was able to put out the fire before crews arrived.

A Maui Fire Department spokesman said that a light fixture outside the garage caught fire and the fire started moving up the wooden walls and under a balcony above the garage.

A caretaker took the man's mother out of the home, while the son extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher.

Damage was contained to the light fixture, wooden panels surrounding the light fixture and a wooden beam. No structural damage was found. Damage is estimated at $500.

The fire is considered accidental, caused by a faulty light fixture.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 0 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(0)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News