Quantcast
  

Wednesday, April 16, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 37 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Pearl Harbor shipyard employees to return to work Monday

By Star-Advertiser & Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 04:26 p.m. HST, Oct 05, 2013


All 2,765 civilian workers who were furloughed from Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard will return to work Monday, a shipyard official confirmed.

The news came after Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced today that he was recalling most of the Defense Department's nearly 400,000 civilians who were laid off as a result of the government shutdown.

"As a result of the secretary of defense's decision today, and in accordance with guidance received, the shipyard is returning to normal operations as of the first shift Monday, 7 October," shipyard spokeswoman Jensin Weng Sommer told the Star-Advertiser.

That shift starts at 6:30 a.m. Sommer added that the guidance is that "all shipyard employees" should report to their usual work sites.

"I think this is definitely welcome news for our employees, as well as the shipyard," she said. The shipyard is the state's largest industrial employer.

Work will resume on three nuclear submarines in drydock -- the Texas, Buffalo and Cheyenne -- that was idled with the furloughs that sent home 63 percent of the shipyard's approximately 4,400 civilian employees.

The state estimates there are about 25,500 federal defense civilian employees and about 9,000 nondefense employees in Hawaii, but not all are furloughed. U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz previously estimated 25,000 federal workers could be laid off in the government shutdown.

The decision announced today by Hagel is based on a Pentagon legal interpretation of a law called the Pay Our Military Act. That measure was passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama shortly before the partial government shutdown began Tuesday.

The picture is still not clear as to which defense workers will return to their jobs.

"Before the government shutdown began, the United States made a statement that it would not allow our brave men and women in uniform, as well as the civilian employees who support their efforts, to be burdened by Congress' inability to do its job," said U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa. "With nearly 400,000 furloughed (Defense Department) civilian employees, it is now up to the department to determine which civil servants support our military's readiness, safety and morale under the new law and can return to work."

Hanabusa said it is her understanding that most defense civilian workers will be back to work by Monday.

Undersecretary of Defense Robert Hale said he expects 90 percent or more of those workers to be called back to work, Bloomberg News reported.

"No more than a few tens of thousands will remain on furlough, and it may be substantially less than that," Hale was reported saying.

In a written statement explaining his action, Hagel said the Department of Justice advised that the law does not permit a blanket recall of all Pentagon civilians.

But government attorneys concluded that the law does allow the Pentagon to eliminate furloughs for "employees whose responsibilities contribute to the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members.'

Hagel said he has told Pentagon officials, including leaders of the military services, to "identify all employees whose activities fall under these categories." He said civilian workers should stand by for further word this weekend.

Hagel had made clear earlier in the past week that Pentagon lawyers were trying to determine ways for some of the Defense Department's nearly 400,000 furloughed civilians to get back to work.

He told reporters traveling with him Tuesday in South Korea, "It does have an effect on our relationships around the world and it cuts straight to the obvious question: Can you rely on the United States as a reliable partner to fulfill its commitments to its allies?"

Star-Advertiser reporter William Cole contributed to this report.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 37 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(37)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Pacej001 wrote:
LOL. This is going to be a major blow to Mr. Obama's Shutdown Pain Amplification Program--------- and good news for deserving civilian employees.
on October 5,2013 | 09:03AM
RichardCory wrote:
Except Obama didn't shut down the government. Maybe step away from Fox News for a moment and actually take the time to learn a bit about the legislative process.
on October 5,2013 | 10:47AM
SteveToo wrote:
He won't compromise w/the Republicans so I guess he's the one who caused the shut down. Why is it the Republicans are the ones who always have to give in? Let's see the Dems give a little for a change.
on October 5,2013 | 12:09PM
RichardCory wrote:
No one needs to compromise. The ACA was legislatively enacted by a democratically elected Congress and President. If fringe members of Congress have a problem with the ACA, then their solution is to gain the seats necessary to repeal the ACA. This is how the political process works. Members of the Republican party have instead chosen to hold the entire economy hostage by refusing to allow budget legislation to come to the floor for a vote, as they know the budget will surely pass against their wishes. The Democrats have no reason to compromise the ACA when they have the people's mandate behind them. Boehner and company have literally waged economic war against you, and you will take their abuse with a smile.
on October 5,2013 | 02:24PM
Eradication wrote:
Fact #1: AHCA was passed by the House (after much DISCUSSION and DEBATE). Fact #2: AHCA was passed by the Senate (after much DISCUSSION and DEBATE). Fact #3: AHCA was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court with the deciding vote coming from a (dare I say) Republican (after much DISCUSSION and DEBATE). Fact #4: The National Budget is being held ransom by the Republican Party in spite of Fact 1,2,3. Fact #5: The Republican leadership will not let the Budget go to the House for a vote because they know that there are enough votes for the Budget to pass the House. The Republican Leadership has back itself into a corner with no way out except to sit and watch the country and its citizens they took an oath to serve suffer needlessly. This whole thing can be laid at the foot of the Republican Leadership in Washington DC. The comment that the White House is being unreasonable is absurd. Americans on all sides of the political isle need to look at this and see it for what it is. In spite of all these facts, the Republican leadership, being led by the nose by the Tea Party, continues to ignore the
on October 5,2013 | 04:52PM
sumoroach wrote:
FACT 1 no bipartition at all, DEMS ram this into place. (After they change the rules in the senate to get it passed.).
on October 5,2013 | 09:29PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
Because the budget bill should be a budge bill. If Obama allows the Republicans to succeed in their tactic, it would set a precedent.The result is that in the future we can look to a government shutdown every time a party does not like a bill that has been passed by both the Senate and House. The law has already passed the muster with the Supreme Court. This action by the Republican leader Boehner is going to cripple America and if it does not get resolved by the 11th, the debt ceiling will mean that the government will not be able to pay their debt and as a result be in default. Which in turn will result in a recession. The Federal Reserve said that this scenario would be catastrophic and affect the world economy. For Boehner to claim that this is about fairness for the people is absurd when he is actually putting our economy in jeopardy. The United States is looked upon as the bulwark of the world economy. Never in history has the United States defaulted on their debt. But Boehner and the TeaPublicans will have achieved what no one in history has done to the US economy all in the name of "fairness". By the way, Boehner can lead the House to address Obamacare issues after he approves raising the deficit ceiling. If the American people want a more fair treatment under Obamacare, then Boehner can lead the House to address that issue.
on October 5,2013 | 09:47PM
honokai wrote:
Each side has its own networks and media sources. Smirks and belittlement seem to be a common tactic. Your very post Mr. Cory is a personal attack on the poster in retribution for Pacej's attack on the president. There is nothing intelligent in any of this. It is all about "gotcha". And it is all very sad.
on October 5,2013 | 12:16PM
juke wrote:
he sure did not step up to the plate.or be a leader
on October 5,2013 | 02:18PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Per Pacej001: "LOL". ...............Pace just told a joke to himself, and he's laughing to himself about his own joke.
on October 5,2013 | 04:21PM
sumoroach wrote:
Where is a budget for the last five years? There is none! Failure of the senate to pass a budget and POTUS inputs were four months late. know the law here are the facts. I remember the first two years of Obama Presidency the DEM had all the congress , senate, and POTUS where are the budget? NONE. The budget is the major job of senate, house and President. CR is not the normal for 5 years in a roll, it purpose is to stop gap until the years budget gets done. The DEMS don't want a budget. The actions speak for themselves.
on October 5,2013 | 09:25PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Probably has more to do with absent cafeteria staff than anyone else...
on October 5,2013 | 12:24PM
CriticalReader wrote:
By pace: "LOL. This is going to be a major blow to Mr. Obama's Shutdown Pain Amplification Program--------- and good news for deserving civilian employees." Until the media comes back to work from the weekend and starts illustrating that pace's beloved fiscal conservative patriots, bent on saving the government gobs of money by abolishing Obamacare, now want to pay federal workers for doing the nothing they forced them to do. This isn't even hypocritical. Someone has to invent a new word describing a "worser" state of hypocrisy. Or, maybe the appropriate term for utter hypocrisy, dishonesty and stupidity is already invented: "TeaParty"
on October 5,2013 | 01:56PM
honokai wrote:
The media narrating machine that you speak of is of diminishing value. All credibility is lost. There are too many other sources now. Story telling gets old when it is fictitious propaganda and talking points.
on October 5,2013 | 02:10PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Hagel, through legal opinion and pre arranged legislation, is doing this. No repubs involved. All in an effort to keep a functional military. Also, workers returning to work are "doing the nothing" exactly how? I'm hoping your opinion of our federal workforce is better than that. And lastly, repubs are trying to save taxpayer's money, not the democrat's. The fare you typically offer, minus the vindictive rhetoric, is somewhat better, but we all have our slow days :)
on October 5,2013 | 02:39PM
CriticalReader wrote:
Repubs trying to save the taxpayer's money? Then why the bill to pay back pay? I agree that both are their positions, and completely inconsistent and hypocritical. But then, that's the new normal for the GOP under the Tea Party. Hagel able to do this without blowback? Fine. If he gets blowback, then I'll probably have an opinion that it isn't deserved. Yes, my opinion of our federal workforce is high. I'm glad they're there, in the numbers they are there, and I wish they were neither off the job nor wondering when their next paycheck was coming. I think both are occurring, and I blame the Tea Party' 2013 Fall Jihad.
on October 5,2013 | 04:37PM
CriticalReader wrote:
Happy HK? Getting what you asked for in the new grand tradition of the GOP.
on October 5,2013 | 04:39PM
hawaiikone wrote:
I have no problem condemning GOP foolishness. The problem is you refuse to do the same with the democratic idi*ts.
on October 6,2013 | 09:42AM
hawaiikone wrote:
So you're suggesting the GOP is the spend with no end party? Several bills were sent to reid trying to offer funding in areas most needed, with back pay just one more. Who is shutting down memorials? Who is trying to maximize tue pain for political gain? Come on now CR, demos have the horses, and repubs are getting the blame, just as planned. So why the stretching?
on October 6,2013 | 09:38AM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
Who's at fault? Who is to be help accountable? Too many times I see people trying to place blame on any 1 person. In reality, it is very seldom that a problem occurs due to the result of (1) person's actions. In most instances, it is a culmination of many components and peices to a problem. So why are we all trying to blame Obama, Boener, GOP, Dems.....it is everybody's fault for allowing it to get this far.
on October 5,2013 | 12:36PM
honokai wrote:
I suppose you could blame the founding fathers of the country. They set this thing up and created all the radical ideas that these tea party folks are holding on to. These radicals captured the House of Representatives. Despite (or maybe because of) constant attacks for being the "jihad" or the "crazies" or whatever you want to call them --- they are following the formula set up by the United States Constitution. The Constitution cannot be narrated away. So it is time to deal with it.
on October 5,2013 | 12:41PM
Eradication wrote:
Fact #1: AHCA was passed by the House (after much DISCUSSION and DEBATE). Fact #2: AHCA was passed by the Senate (after much DISCUSSION and DEBATE). Fact #3: AHCA was deemed constitutional by the Supreme Court with the deciding vote coming from a (dare I say) Republican (after much DISCUSSION and DEBATE). Fact #4: The National Budget is being held ransom by the Republican Party in spite of Fact 1,2,3. Fact #5: The Republican leadership will not let the Budget go to the House for a vote because they know that there are enough votes for the Budget to pass the House. The Republican Leadership has back itself into a corner with no way out except to sit and watch the country and its citizens they took an oath to serve suffer needlessly. This whole thing can be laid at the foot of the Republican Leadership in Washington DC. The comment that the White House is being unreasonable is absurd. Americans on all sides of the political isle need to look at this and see it for what it is. In spite of all these facts, the Republican leadership, being led by the nose by the Tea Party, continues to ignore the facts.
on October 5,2013 | 04:55PM
CriticalReader wrote:
This is a good next step. Let's see, 4 days and half those affected by the Tea Party plot are accounted for. Once CNN has time to run stories on all federal projects, the House should need one or two days there after to have accomplished a complete, clean CR. I would encourage news outlets to run stories and put faces on all ill effects of Tea Party hostage taking for all BLUE states, and definitely NOT Tea Party districts. Keep on sending over those piecemeal reopenings of gov't, Tea Party House. It may the only way for y'all to mask the egg splatter on your faces.
on October 5,2013 | 01:51PM
honokai wrote:
A huge chunk of the country (the ones that elected the people you demean and the ones you demean) is now believing the opposite of what the mainstream media says. I hear your points. But there is nearly half the country that doesn't and this battle of the narrative is lose/lose.
on October 5,2013 | 02:14PM
false wrote:
A good vacation while it lasts. Hopefully the golf courses and malls will be less crowded.
on October 5,2013 | 02:21PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
They aren't THAT rich.
on October 5,2013 | 02:27PM
iwanaknow wrote:
Just more traffic on the byways and highways
on October 5,2013 | 04:13PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Early scoop, as I just got the October 14, 2013 issue of TIME in my mail, and on its cover it says: Majority Rule and it's crossed out in red lines, with the US Capitol Building, with cloudy skies above in Black and White. ObamaCare, a user's guide is included in that issue. So let me scan the cover story and here it is verbatim, from page 22: "In the 11th hour of any crisis, let alone one that shuts down the world's most powerful government, things are bound to get a little weird. So it was no surprise when members of Congress began showing up for votes in late September reeking of booze." OMG Neil are u not glad u r in Washington Place?!
on October 5,2013 | 02:26PM
false wrote:
And your point being?
on October 5,2013 | 03:09PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Could have made several points except the dunce cap may not fit on most members of congress, just some.
on October 5,2013 | 03:13PM
hanabatadayz wrote:
hurry up so already so that these workers can get paid for working again..err..i mean so that they can show up for work and do nothing again
on October 5,2013 | 03:34PM
dnntr wrote:
Whoa.... Easy now hanabatadayz...How about us essential workers that was working for no pay?!?! :-I
on October 5,2013 | 05:03PM
hanabatadayz wrote:
you'll get retro..no worries
on October 5,2013 | 10:02PM
dnntr wrote:
while the ones that got furlough'd get a paid holiday. Sounds fair. At least I have a good job I guess. Beats the unemployment line in my book anyday!
on October 5,2013 | 10:37PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Please watch the Punahou off ramp H-1 East between 3:30PM and 4:30PM tomorrow, because if it gets bottlenecked we know it's because of the Shipyard Employees. I passed there a few days ago at about 4:15PM and although there was a slowdown there, very few cars were lined up to leave the H-1 East offramp at Punahou Street.

If it gets clogged up, then we know it's due to the Federal Employees getting off there. It's time for the City and the State to work closer together. That offramp is the root cause of the H-1 East becoming a parking lot every weekday during both morning and afternoon rush hours.

It is high time that the City Council Member of that district and the State Representative of that district meet and allow the Green Light to be much longer to let cars get off the H-1 at Punahou Street much faster.

All the fixes before that off ramp including making the H-1 four lanes will not fix that bottleneck. It is simple: just lengthen the Green Light.

Take a look at other intersections such as Likelike Highway and School Street: the green light for passage on Likelike Highway is very long during rush hour, something like four or five minutes.

Just implement my suggestion and all this Rail talk will go down the drain. Here again is a common sense simple approach of traffic light control, so very simple to implement yet authorities do not do it.

How terrible for all those who transit the H-1, especially our parents who raise our Keiki, being stranded for hours on a freeway, when they could relax at home?


on October 5,2013 | 08:52PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Please watch the Punahou off ramp H-1 East between 3:30PM and 4:30PM tomorrow, because if it gets bottlenecked we know it's because of the Shipyard Employees. I passed there a few days ago at about 4:15PM and although there was a slowdown there, very few cars were lined up to leave the H-1 East offramp at Punahou Street.

If it gets clogged up, then we know it's due to the Federal Employees getting off there. It's time for the City and the State to work closer together. That offramp is the root cause of the H-1 East becoming a parking lot every weekday during both morning and afternoon rush hours.

It is high time that the City Council Member of that district and the State Representative of that district meet and allow the Green Light to be much longer to let cars get off the H-1 at Punahou Street much faster.

All the fixes before that off ramp including making the H-1 four lanes will not fix that bottleneck. It is simple: just lengthen the Green Light.

Take a look at other intersections such as Likelike Highway and School Street: the green light for passage on Likelike Highway is very long during rush hour, something like four or five minutes.

Just implement my suggestion and all this Rail talk will go down the drain. Here again is a common sense simple approach of traffic light control, so very simple to implement yet authorities do not do it.

How terrible for all those who transit the H-1, especially our parents who raise our Keiki, being stranded for hours on a freeway, when they could relax at home?


on October 5,2013 | 08:52PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Lol tomorrow is Sunday, I meant Monday.
on October 5,2013 | 11:03PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Court Sense
Musings on Shamburger

Political Radar
HB 1700 — Day 1

Hoops Talk
Aloha Shamburger

Political Radar
Stacked

Political Radar
HFFA

Warrior Beat
All’s fair

Political Radar
Apology