Sunday, April 20, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 134 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Chow: 'I'm not going to quit'

By Stephen Tsai & Ferd Lewis

LAST UPDATED: 12:02 p.m. HST, Nov 04, 2013

<br />Hawaii head coach Norm Chow yells at a ref after pass interference was not called when Utah State intercepted the ball during their game, Saturday, in Logan, Utah. (Photo by Eli Lucero)<br />

Insisting his public comments were misinterpreted, University of Hawaii football coach Norm Chow said today he is "fully capable" of doing his job and has no intention of quitting.

"I'm not going to quit ever," said Chow, whose Rainbow Warriors are 0-8 in the second season of his five-year, $550,000 per year contract. "I preached not quitting to these kids. You expect me to quit? Are you crazy?"

Chow sparked controversy when he told a group of reporters "I'm too old for this" following a 47-10 loss to Utah State this past Saturday in Logan, Utah.

Chow was "speaking from frustration" and "will not give up on these kids," athletic director Ben Jay told the Star-Advertiser today. "That's not Norm."

Chow said it was a "tongue-in-cheek" remark directed at Deseret News columnist Brad Rock.

"That's what it was," said Chow, who is 67. "I've said that to Brad Rock for years, even when I was here (as offensive coordinator at Utah and Brigham Young)."

Rock told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser he did not take Chow's comment seriously.

"He used to say that when he was at Utah (in 2011)," Rock said. "I took it completely as tongue-in-cheek. I don't know if it came across that way in my column. But he has done that before. That's why I'm so certain it was tongue-in-cheek. He said that even when he was an assistant coach. He was shaking his head when he was saying it."

UH quarterback Sean Schroeder said: "I see him every day. He's fully energetic and qualified to be a head coach as anybody else in the country. He's always in the facility working hard. He's the hardest worker, as you have to be."

In a teleconference with CBS Sports, which televised the UH-Utah State game, Chow was quoted as saying he was "not cut out" to be head coach. The sportscasters repeated that comment during the telecast.

Chow said that comment was in reference to the non-football responsibilities he acquired as head coach.

"I didn't realize the administrative duties outside of football that was required - setting up the travel, setting up the hotels, (ordering) the fertilizer (for the practice field)," Chow said. "I'm fully capable of it all. I just didn't realize what it took to do the other administrative stuff, especially at a university like that where we're short on numbers."

Chow added: "The football part is a breeze. I have a good coaching staff. We work hard. We're in there at 4:30 in the morning. We have no problem in that."

Jay said: "I've never gotten a sense Norm has given up. He's not going to do that with his kids. ... He doesn't want his kids to quit and he's not going to quit."

Jay said, "I talked to him after the game and he was very frustrated with the way we played. We went on to talk about some other program things and he never indicated to me that he would give it (the job) up. That's not Norm."

Schroeder said: "From my personal experience, I don't see him quitting on us at all. That's absurd."

Jay said he and Chow will meet after the season to evaluate the program and its goals.

The 0-8 Rainbow Warriors play Navy in Annapolis, Md. Saturday.

More From The Star-Advertiser

Chow: 'I'm not going to quit ever'

COMMENTS

gsc wrote:
Have FAITH !!!!!
on November 4,2013 | 08:46AM
CriticalReader wrote:
"Jay said Chow "is my coach," and "I don't plan on changing, unless he changes my mind."" Uh oh.
on November 4,2013 | 09:15AM
CriticalReader wrote:
What no one caught after Chow made the comment was his his telling Rock shortly afterward, "heh, heh, pull my finger."
on November 4,2013 | 09:26AM
1local wrote:
why would chow quit - if he is fired UH has to pay him $1 million to end his contract...The ones who wrote the contract should be fired...UH should cancel all games and call it a season...
on November 4,2013 | 09:26AM
allie wrote:
I like Norm. He is a man of honor. Old Punahou family. Not a quitter. He plays a weak schedule with minor league players. Not his fault. It is what it is. get over your dreams for a big program. You don't have the money.
on November 4,2013 | 10:01AM
Descartes22 wrote:
An "old Punahou family" means nothing. We have two Punahou Mormon head coaches - and the results speak for themselves.
on November 4,2013 | 11:40AM
wlsc wrote:
"old punahou family"?? he is punahou; but, father and 2 older brothers are saint louis!
on November 4,2013 | 12:23PM
allie wrote:
He was an outstanding athlete and scholar at Punahou.
on November 4,2013 | 01:01PM
2_centz wrote:
I'm wouldn't question whether Chow is a scholar or not. anyone getting $500,000 per year for 5 years has to be really stupid to quit that amount of pay. However, maybe after the season is over there might be tlalk about removing him as a coach that can't win games. Should the coach be the coach next season, I don't think there would be any doubt that we will have another 0-12 season three years in a row. by that time maybe Ben Jay will have to be removed also.
on November 4,2013 | 10:59PM
niimi wrote:
Puny hoe, a small gardening tool, isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
on November 4,2013 | 08:50PM
kong2985 wrote:
Yes have faith in Senior Citizen Chow Fun. Give him 5years so that he will be 72 years old..Warriors can have one old coach. Chow Fun should start collecting his Social Security and his current salary. Everyone wish they had this income
on November 4,2013 | 12:42PM
allie wrote:
The SA photo makes Norm appear unsteady. But he is steady!
on November 4,2013 | 03:21PM
Readitnow wrote:
I do have faith … but, not with the public mob mentality … or the UH in how they react to the public outcry. The problem started when the UH didn't renew June Jone's contract in a timely manner, then we got McMackin and now Chow … both good coaches. Good coaches who don't have the draw to get the best players to come to the UH. With the budget we have, we can only get the players who can't go anywhere else. Get the picture? No mo 5 cents no mo house … Sing it gang! Because that is the story!
on November 4,2013 | 07:10PM
admiral wrote:
Readitnow: As for that "mob mentality," Reardon was really out of line with his column--which then was sensationalized by the S-A with a glaring headline and out-of-context photo. Before that story was printed did no one at the paper think to ask Chow for his comments before running with the story? Whatever one thinks about the quality of coaching or talent on the UH football team in recent years, that is fundamentally irresponsible journalism.
on November 5,2013 | 01:11AM
magnod wrote:
The dude is too old. Hope he mans up and retires
on November 4,2013 | 08:51AM
allie wrote:
He is an intellect. And that has not aged! I like that he has his players go to class and be real students. Compare that with old man JJ
on November 4,2013 | 01:02PM
oldertimer808 wrote:
you have finally wrote something that I will agree with you.
on November 4,2013 | 02:05PM
islandmom wrote:
Governor Abercrombie is in his 70s. Coach Chow's age doesn't have anything to do with this. I have never met the man, but he took this job when he didn't need the money and knowing that UH has nothing to spare. I want to think that he -- like others including Pierre Omidyar of eBay and Henk Rogers of Tetris -- wanted to come back here to do something good. Things aren't going well this season, obviously, but that's no reason to malign the man. Unfortunately, he forgot that he is essentially a celebrity and the media will hang on every word. He spoke out of frustration, and it's come back to bite him today. Let's all move on and let them prepare for the next game, folks.
on November 4,2013 | 04:15PM
Readitnow wrote:
Exactly! You got it island mom!
on November 4,2013 | 07:26PM
rytsuru wrote:
I guess more attorneys and consultants are going to be hired to figure out an exit plan for Coach Chow. Wonder if there is a "I am too old for this s***" clause in his contract....?
on November 4,2013 | 08:52AM
OldDiver wrote:
A good leader doesn't get frustrated. A good leader become even more determined when under fire. A good leader leads by example. Norm Chow is not a leader.
on November 4,2013 | 09:00AM
walaau808 wrote:
A good leader doesn't get frustrated? Really? I don't care who you are and/or what you might be leading - frustration happens!
on November 4,2013 | 09:10AM
OldDiver wrote:
Once you are frustrated you are no longer leading.
on November 4,2013 | 10:39AM
oldertimer808 wrote:
You're full of it. Everyone gets frustrated including individuals at the top. It is the individual who recognizes his or her frustrations and looks for answers and solutions.
on November 4,2013 | 02:08PM
false wrote:
And you couldn't lead yourself to the bathroom.
on November 4,2013 | 09:24AM
goinglobal wrote:
Well for once I agree with you... Unlike your president who does not lead by example either....
on November 4,2013 | 09:40AM
NITRO08 wrote:
Are you a U S citizen and if you are He is your president too. Wake up your talking like a child.
on November 4,2013 | 11:11AM
pridon wrote:
Maybe you can help him get a job with HART. Seems to fit the mold.
on November 4,2013 | 09:40PM
CriticalReader wrote:
Wow. Ben Jay is extraordinarily bad at spin.
on November 4,2013 | 09:04AM
droid wrote:
I had that same thought. But it may be deliberate. Notice that last part:

Chow “is my coach,” and “I don’t plan on changing, unless he changes my mind.”

Jay may be giving Chow an ultimatum. Maybe buried deep in Chow’s contract, there is a way to push him out.
on November 4,2013 | 09:24AM
CriticalReader wrote:
The interesting thing is that these University types don't like to be seen as being responsive to the public. Especially at UH. Maybe it's the culture of "Autonomy". One hallmark of top level BCS schools seems to be their willingness to pull the trigger sooner than later. Maybe it's because they have the money to do so. I think it's in great part arrogance, though. Remember how long past his expiration date Frazier was able to hang on, or more realistically, not given the boot? That was purely because of institutional arrogance) (and the individual arrogance of Hinshaw). Same with both von Appen and McMackin being given the job in the first place, and then being permitted to continue on after it became obvious early on they had problems. The way I interpret Ben Jay's comment about change plans is this: "Don't tell me what to do." If that's what he was saying, he's not long for this place.
on November 4,2013 | 09:41AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
I doubt it ... taxpayers will end up buying him out if they want him gone. Happens every time at UH, I'm sure Chow will be no exception since the same *idiots* still run UH.
on November 4,2013 | 07:07PM
Descartes22 wrote:
Blind Eye Ben is extraordinarily bad at everything, CriticalReader. And like Chow, he is a liar. He claimed that Chow's comments were simply "frustration" at the game's outcome. But Chow made the same comments before the game. Also, the CBS SportsNetwork "I'm not cut out" to be a head coach quote is now being shoveled to us as relating to "administrative matters." At the time the statements were made, there was no such caveat - and undoubtedly Ciao was given an opportunity to expand or clarify. But even if the dubious excuse were to be swallowed, of course our second year head coach should be cognizant of the fact that a head coach's duties include matters unrelated to coaching. Shibai, shibai, shibai by Chow and our timid AD.
on November 4,2013 | 10:11AM
allie wrote:
Chow said he was joking with a Mormon reporter
on November 4,2013 | 01:03PM
Descartes22 wrote:
Blind Eye Ben ignores the fact that Chow made nearly exact comments BEFORE the frustration of another one of his pitiful coaching performances. Twitter Ben thinks UH fans are lolo (he is correct with respect to the dwindling few Chow Time pom pommers). He also is apparently ignorant to the DeadSpin.Com prank on our deluded coach, where the old timer expressed great interest in being hired by the Giants. A real AD would be outraged. The middle manager from Ohio is turning out to be a timid, insubstantial AD, who cannot do anything but beg for money. "The Time is Now (with five exclamation points)" for our limp AD to start acting like an AD - instead of a high school girl with a smart phone.
on November 4,2013 | 09:12AM
HanabataDays wrote:
It was tongue in cheek. I've talked like that for years. I was frustrated by the team's play. I didn't realize all the other administrative work besides just coaching. "I .. I ran out of gas. I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!" -- Jake Elwood
on November 4,2013 | 09:15AM
kiragirl wrote:
Gullible women believed all what he said. Funny.
on November 4,2013 | 09:32AM
CriticalReader wrote:
on November 4,2013 | 09:15AM
2_centz wrote:
we'll talk about it at the end of the season!
on November 4,2013 | 03:37PM
Wazdat wrote:
Well me and most of my friends have gave up on Chow and UH. Good luck UH, you are going to need it.
on November 4,2013 | 09:19AM
oldertimer808 wrote:
What kind of fan are you to quit on our student/athletes auwe poho you bandwagon jumpers.
on November 4,2013 | 02:12PM
username_required wrote:
He will not quit. None of them do. They all hold out for the golden parachute.
on November 4,2013 | 09:21AM
inverse wrote:
His negative public comments made to reporters and sports commentators before and after the Utah State game that will negatively impact recruiting might be reason to fire him for cause. Unfortunately UH would need the guts to be willing to challenge Chow in court to fire him for cause but UH always uses the scarecrow solution and will pay Chow the FULL amount of his remaining 5 year contract. Then UH will announce that Chow will "retire" for health reasons. Hawaii taxpayers will foot the bill for Chows multi-million dollar retirement package and the cycle start all over again,
on November 4,2013 | 11:13AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
Well I don't understand how an unproven head coach gets a five year contract in the first place. I can understand 2-3 but not 5 years when you've never been a head coach and have no track record. The *idiots* at UH really know how to write a sweet contract that scroos the taxpayer every time. That's UH autonomy in action.
on November 4,2013 | 07:16PM
false wrote:
DO NOT QUIT!
on November 4,2013 | 09:23AM
allie wrote:
He won't! Can't blame him for the minor league schedule and minor league players
on November 4,2013 | 01:04PM
capt_comment wrote:
Damn. Just when I got my hopes up.
on November 4,2013 | 09:25AM
nj24 wrote:
Don't. Give him time.
on November 4,2013 | 09:35AM
salsacoquibx wrote:
Time to retire and smell the roses..better than getting FIRED..causes that is were its leading..
on November 4,2013 | 09:37AM
Oahuan wrote:
That's exactly what Pat Haden said about Lane Kiffen. So there's stil hope that Jay will do the right thing and Fire Chow.
on November 4,2013 | 09:42AM
capt_comment wrote:
Yup, typical AD-speak.
on November 4,2013 | 09:59AM
LizKauai wrote:
I just want everyone to remember what set off the movement to replace Coach Mack. No one is perfect at public speaking all of the time. Especially our football coaches. God Bless and keep safe our kids and their coaches. Go, Rainbow Warriors!
on November 4,2013 | 09:49AM
CriticalReader wrote:
What I remember is that McMackin's first problem was that he was not June Jones, everyone knew it, and that he was sooooooo not June Jones that everyone was scratching their heads when he got hired at the salary he did, with the contract terms he did. His following up almost immediately with a performance so far below what Jones was doing by the time Jones left didn't help. That's why UH is actually a really bad coaching job into the foreseeable future. We got a taste for the USDA prime football Jones was able to manufacture. After that, everything else is hamburger. UH's survival requires that it convince people to pay USDA prime (BCS Bowl) prices for hamburger (e.g. Hawaii Bowl MAX), and that just isn't going to happen.
on November 4,2013 | 10:00AM
hcsr wrote:
Only Reardon would need to make a headline out of a tongue in cheek remark. Either he really didn't know the difference, which would be scary for a writer with the only newspaper in town, or he is that desperate to prove he indeed has superior reporting skills. I mean I've heard guys in their 30's say the same thing. Been around sports reporting for a long time and most producers would have checked into the validity of the statement before making it a lead story which it would be if Norm were in fact admitting he can't do the job. It's simply not fair to both parties, the readers and Norm. And this has nothing to do with winning or losing the game. Heck I want Norm out. But Dave did everyone an injustice with this story.
on November 4,2013 | 09:55AM
Descartes22 wrote:
You are foolish. It is clearly newsworthy when a head coach proclaims to a national sports network that he is "not cut out" for the job and the national announcers air his comments. It is also newsworthy when a 67 year old second year head coach asserts before and after the game that he is too old for the job. There is absolutely no "injustice" today. Instead, the columnist (or his editor) did an "injustice" when they failed to report on the deluded Chow's gushy interest in a fake Giants job - which received national attention and prominent display on DeadSpin. Norm (as he did here) then lied about the matter.
on November 4,2013 | 10:17AM
allie wrote:
My grandfather is younger than 67!
on November 4,2013 | 01:04PM
Descartes22 wrote:
Thanks for that genealogical tidbit. I surmise that aside from the Chow Timers, no one believes that is a sound to rebuild around a head coach of this aged vintage.
on November 4,2013 | 01:39PM
allie wrote:
agreed..but I still like him. And you, on most days!
on November 4,2013 | 03:32PM
Would you give up a $550,000 job on account of some comments made in a paper? I'd hang on till they push me out yhe door.
on November 4,2013 | 09:57AM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
Chow is not exactly low value coach. He has a resume that would be the envy of many a coach. The salary that you speak of is not really within the range of Chow's value. We are actually getting him for cheap considering his experience and resume. We would be foolish to drop him just after two seasons. It is not the norm for a coach to turn a team around after just a year or two. It normally takes several years to turn a program around. A coach of Chow's caliber would probably garner him much higher salary. He could easily get a job at other programs for double what he makes. Remember, he forfeited half his salary on his own accord. The full salary (double what we are paying Chow) was what we would have paid the next coach had it not been Chow. I am sure June Jones would have happily taken that back in the day. A look at his SMU Mustangs (probably with more talented players) will show that his tenure there have not all been all roses.
on November 4,2013 | 10:40AM
blkdrgn wrote:
nodaddynotthebelt - They are 0-8 right now. Does it look like they are turning the program around? How much longer do we have to wait?
on November 4,2013 | 11:25AM
goinglobal wrote:
nodaddynotthebelt- No one gave McMackin a chance. He had a winning record and our kids could compete with other teams. This guy may be a great offensive coordinator but he is a lousy head coach. Why should he get a pass his record is ontrack to be the same as Von Appens...
on November 4,2013 | 01:40PM
Descartes22 wrote:
Chow is again lying. Just like he did when he claimed that within half a minute (of the 4 minute DeadSpin.Com video/audiotape) he knew that the fake Giants offer that he was "honored" to accept was a prank. No one is claiming that the CBS SportsNetwork "I'm not cut out" to be a head coach quote was inaccurate. Instead, and only now - not at the time of the statement - is Chow (and Jay) putting spin on the comment by suggesting that it related to "administrative duties." Even if their dubious coverup is believed, of course, a head coach's responsibilities include significant other matters. Another lie.
on November 4,2013 | 10:04AM
He does not lie. He tells the Zen truth
on November 4,2013 | 01:05PM
islandsun wrote:
I agree, those are more than likely Chow's true sentiments. The high road for Chow is to resign now effective at the end of the year. Jay will be afforded a chance to start the new coach process now. Chow should do it for the kids. Give the underclassmen a chance to win if it means a change. As it stands, it would be better for new recruits to hear that there will be a new coach. In fact, Chow hasn't even properly mentored any quarterback at UH. This will be on Jay if Chow goes any longer.
on November 4,2013 | 01:13PM
Descartes22 wrote:
Correct. "It's all OK" Jay must be held accountable.
on November 4,2013 | 01:40PM
allie wrote:
Jay has made his share of errors for a first year guy
on November 4,2013 | 03:32PM
lee1957 wrote:
Fred von Appen where are you?
on November 4,2013 | 10:11AM
DocG wrote:
Think Jay should take a page from Norms play book ... don't fire him ... just pay him and tell him not to come to work ... like Norm did with his OC this year .... that worked out well didn't it ?
on November 4,2013 | 10:26AM
bigislandkurt wrote:
So does that mean he gets fired instead? It sure does. Who in their right minds leave $550k on the table?
on November 4,2013 | 10:20AM
9ronboz wrote:
how many D-1 wins in 2 years?
on November 4,2013 | 10:21AM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
I am glad to hear that it was all a misunderstanding as I would like to see what Chow has to offer in the coming years. I have utmost respect for this coach who forfeited half his salary to become our coach. That says something about someone's character. I believe that he will get our team in the direction. Many of our losses have been with respectable scores. This last game involved a team that was lethargic due to lack of sleep. Anyone denied of proper sleep will have his performance suffer. Chow's past success should not be forgotten. He is a winner and I truly believe this. I don't care who the coach is, it will take time to improve a team especially the UH football team. In an un-level playing field where blue chip players leave for more successful programs on the mainland or to more prestigious schools such as Notre Dame, UH is at a disadvantage. With this in mind, we should understand that UH has a tougher route than most schools. If a normal successful program on the mainland takes several years to develop we can expect the same for our situation. What Chow needs is our support, not negative criticisms that do not help our team. Yes, voice your opinions. But please give him a realistic time frame to do his job. It is extremely rare that a coach can come in and turn a team around in one or two years. Not even the great coaches have turned a team with no blue chips into contenders in no time.
on November 4,2013 | 10:29AM
inverse wrote:
Unplug from the UH matrix and free your mind. Never mind there is no spoon; there is no chow fun, only deep kim chee.
on November 4,2013 | 11:00AM
Descartes22 wrote:
The blame the players excuse is tiresome.
on November 4,2013 | 11:49AM
hon2255 wrote:
you making me get nausea, no daddy, Come on, you have no clue of the repeated errors that happen week after week, throws others under the bus rather than take full responsiblity, it is rational to say he has NOT improved our program given the results of a 3- 17 record so far and likely end up 0-12 this year, unacceptable, diminishing gate at home games, lower pay per view income, this is a disaster! Cutting him loose at the end of season. Forget it.
on November 4,2013 | 03:21PM
DocG wrote:
Wrong again Robin .... Ever hear of Lou Holtz ? He took over 5 different FBS programs ... each one had a losing record the year before his arrival. Every one had a winning record in his first year and every one went to a bowl game no later than his second year with the program. Ever hear of June Junes ? Took just about the worst FBS team ( at 0 - 12 ) and coached just about the same players to the greatest turn around in FBS history ... with less money and facilities then Norm has now. Some coaches have the ability to get the job done. Others, in spite of their assistant coaching record, don't. The W - L record shows which is which. That stat simply doesn't lie.
on November 4,2013 | 10:27PM
Pualena wrote:
What does it take to change Jay's mind?
on November 4,2013 | 10:45AM
Kuniarr wrote:
A coach is only as good as the quality of his players. It's not the coach who drops a pass, miss a tackle, overshoot or undershoot a receiver and many more nuances of errors in football.
on November 4,2013 | 11:09AM
blkdrgn wrote:
True but it's the coach's responsibility that the players have basic fundamentals so they do not drop a pass, miss a tackle, overshoot or undershoot a receiver. It's also his resposibility to run correct plays at the right time and to run certain offense/defense at the right time. It's the head coach's responsibility to lead his team to win and to at least win 1 game. Why else do we pay these coach's so much money?
on November 4,2013 | 11:31AM
Descartes22 wrote:
Is the blame the players excuse the only thing left for the Bottom 10 man loving Chow Timers?
on November 4,2013 | 11:50AM
Bdpapa wrote:
No, but its the players responsibility to be fundamentally sound.
on November 4,2013 | 03:09PM
Descartes22 wrote:
It is the coaches responsibility for the players to be fundamentally sound. If they receive lucrative scholarships despite lacking fundamentals, then they need to be correctly schooled.
on November 4,2013 | 03:43PM
Bdpapa wrote:
Sounds like products that didn't come as advertised.
on November 4,2013 | 07:27PM
Psyche wrote:
A head coach is only as good as his recruiting. (period)
on November 4,2013 | 03:07PM
808ikea wrote:
If this is true then how do you explain June Jones taking an 0-12 team to 9-4 the next year with the same players? Luck?
on November 4,2013 | 03:32PM
capt_comment wrote:
Perfect comeback, 808ikea!
on November 4,2013 | 04:04PM
budster wrote:
I notice that Chow is recruiting a lot of freshman out of high school rather that junior college transfers. I think this is why the "growing pains". Patience!! By doing it this way, this team will excel in the long run. Not having to replace guys after two years. One concern is who is call the offensive plays?
on November 4,2013 | 11:13AM
Descartes22 wrote:
Is "patience" the talking point at the Chow Timers weekly meeting at Arcadia? And there are just as many JC guys as ever.
on November 4,2013 | 11:52AM
lokela wrote:
Give Chow a break. The talent pool here is so so. The real talent always leaves Hawaii. Can't help it. They learn to experience life away from home. The opposite is true for mainland talent coming here. Move away from home. Unfortunately the real players with talent go to the school they dream about. And those schools have bucks. So with Hawaii you go with what we have and work with that. Some years we get lucky with good players. UH has no bucks!
on November 4,2013 | 11:50AM
Descartes22 wrote:
So the talent pool at San Jose State, UNLV, Colorado State, etc exceeds the talent of our players? The "I have no talented players" excuse is a slimy falsehood. It also ignores the fact that good coaching elevates talent.
on November 4,2013 | 12:08PM
bubbaButt wrote:
Let it be known that UH would not give Marcus Mariota the time of day when he came out of St. Louis. Take a look at the Oregon Ducks... where are they now??? Definitely not 0-8!!!
on November 4,2013 | 02:58PM
SandBar wrote:
It's the style of play and the support players. Even if Mariota was here, the support is not of the same caliber.
on November 4,2013 | 03:35PM
environmental_lady wrote:
How would you pronounce Chow backwards? Ouch!
on November 4,2013 | 11:57AM
Bully wrote:
After two years things are only getting worse, maybe better to retire then to be fired. UH cannot afford any more losing seasons. Its been a long time since June Jones left and its not gettig better. UH needs to man up and find the money to hire a good coach or the team is doomed.
on November 4,2013 | 12:14PM
lmats808 wrote:
I hope that the so-called fans will support this football team - win or lose, because that's what a true fan does. It's easy to support a team when they are winning. It's the true fan that comes out to the stadium weekend after weekend to support the team and coaches, even when they are losing. If you're a fair weather fan and you only come to the games when they are winning, Please don't call yourself a fan. Coach Chow and Rainbow Warriors...we support you!
on November 4,2013 | 12:38PM
lowtone123 wrote:
If what Chow says is true it seems not to bright of him to say what he said when your team is 0 for the season and you say it was directed toward one reporter in a room full of other reporters anxious to get something to print.
on November 4,2013 | 12:47PM
Descartes22 wrote:
If you take a look at Rock's Deseret News article, you will also note that Chow wistfully prefers to be in Utah.
on November 4,2013 | 01:51PM
pauliboy wrote:
Next time, how about hiring a Head Coach with real Head Coaching experience?
on November 4,2013 | 12:53PM
Descartes22 wrote:
An OC or DC from a top tier BCS school would be acceptable. The key is not prior head coaching experience (unless you're foolishly looking at a first time senior citizen head coach). The key is getting a modern, up and coming coach.
on November 4,2013 | 01:49PM
agree
on November 4,2013 | 03:38PM
capt_comment wrote:
Apparently, the first criteria is that someone has to be hand-picked by the Punahou Mafia.
on November 4,2013 | 04:07PM
casper400 wrote:
Why dosen't someone ask why in Coach chow is having to order fertiulizer and make travel arrangments- what does the assistant AD and staff do all day- I thought that was there job to support the coaches ?????........why is UH so unorganized from top to bottom starting with the leadership of the Regents.
on November 4,2013 | 01:13PM
buttah wrote:
Soon he will be organizing the halftime shows and the special duty HPD officers to control traffic... I wonder if he has to fill the soap dispensers in the shower rooms also?
on November 4,2013 | 01:39PM
steveoctober wrote:
Chow's "Are you crazy?" remark is in reference as to how nobody in their right mind is going to give up a half million dollar a year job when you answer to nobody and have no need to establish a successful record of any sort since you'll be hanging it up once cashing in on as many years you can get.
on November 4,2013 | 01:37PM
hapaguy wrote:
Well Norm would you "resign" if it was for the good of the program?
on November 4,2013 | 01:54PM
scooters wrote:
It doesn't matter who the coach is..UH just doesn't have a lot of talent. One or two standouts will never be enough to have a winning team. But hey, I can coach just as well and I could use that $550K salary...
on November 4,2013 | 02:16PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
See I don't think that's true, June Jones took a losing team and turned them around in 1 season with more or less the same players. The coach teaches but also inspires and motivates players to be the best they can be. Chow is apparently missing this ability, he may be right, he's a good asst. but not head coach.
on November 4,2013 | 07:40PM
hon2255 wrote:
Chow is physically and mentally broken down, admitted not fit for the job at hand, please retire Norm for the sake of your health!You made a mistake, accept your mistakes, you're only human. You local boy, be nice to us taxpayers and exit quietly at a reduced rate , mahalo and alohaaa.
on November 4,2013 | 02:26PM
allie wrote:
no..he is solid. Good, decent, moral man. He is doing his best with a team of limited talents in a very weak league
on November 4,2013 | 03:39PM
rich22 wrote:
I guess the question that NC and BJ need to seriously asked themselves...is their current individual resolve and pride the best decision for the existing team members (and future recruits), HI fan base and overall UH community and State? Being 'pakiki' and ignoring big picture solutions only makes matters worst. Of course, the big challenge for UH being situated between the proverbial rock & a hard place... is paying off NC's contract and hiring a new qualified football coach.
on November 4,2013 | 02:27PM
hon2255 wrote:
Norm and BJ doing Damage Control ,Damage Control.. man your battle stations....
on November 4,2013 | 02:31PM
Psyche wrote:
To say such a thing, especially when the program is struggling, is just poor taste. He says so many things that come across wrong. And if he does it now, in the media, he also does it when the cameras/recorders aren't rolling. There is nothing funny about being 0-8. It's akin to a team that throws a party after a losing game. You know what the commitment is like. Put it this way, how would one even sarcastically joke about such a thing when his boys have put everything they have on the line?
on November 4,2013 | 02:56PM
CriticalReader wrote:
And, I suspect, that is why this is his first Head Coaching job.
on November 4,2013 | 03:18PM
gobows wrote:
where's the video feed of the interview?
on November 4,2013 | 02:58PM
Bdpapa wrote:
Coach, give it your all! Go Rainbow Warriors!
on November 4,2013 | 03:10PM
kaupena wrote:
So if Coach Chow continues to have losing seasons till the end of his contract, it's ok I guess?? just as long as he doesn't QUIT because he is not a QUITTER. He is Ben Jay's COACH and Ben Jay will stay with him till the very end. We shall see...
on November 4,2013 | 03:23PM
mishtah wrote:
Doesn't Norman look sexy when he is angry?
on November 4,2013 | 03:27PM
CriticalReader wrote:
He kinda looks like the "Mummy" cutting loose the swarm of bugs or the sandstorm.
on November 4,2013 | 03:54PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
If you're a senior citizen! If not be just looks constipated.
on November 4,2013 | 07:42PM
mishtah wrote:
Also, why would Norman quit? He is on an unprecedented run of excellence, and the team is well positioned to make a run at a national championship next year. UH will run the table this year, Norman will recruit more extremely able players like Taylor Graham and... (words fail me here), and next year the national championship game will be Norman's highly inspired UH team vs. Alabama or Florida State. Mark my words. Norman knows, even though he claims he does "not know about all this stuff." And he is certainly not "too old." Can't you take a joke? Sheesh. There are lots of 67 year old coaches who are doing bang-up jobs in their first post as head coach in Division One. Norman, please stick with it, and keep running up the gut on first down too. We love you. What you are doing is working magically.
on November 4,2013 | 03:32PM
capt_comment wrote:
Ok, so with his comments Ben Jay has officially attached himself to Chow's hip. That means he needs to be accountable for the team's failures also...that also means he also needs to be shown the door when Norm goes.
on November 4,2013 | 04:18PM
FLIPTOP2 wrote:
Come on Norm - give it up. You said it yourself. This position is way beyond your experience. Sounding like the good ole "Peter Principle."
on November 4,2013 | 04:19PM
RNC404 wrote:
Keep the Faith and Believe... Annual pay $550 thousand..Wow, someone to believe in. 1st year 3-8 give him time, we still believe 2nd year 0-8, gulp.. We still believing..*sighs* After lost "I'm too old for this." Who are we believing in?? That is where the question is now. All too familiar side of business. His irresponsible comments will put doubt for sure.
on November 4,2013 | 05:09PM
Kapaho wrote:
A very disappointing season to say the least. But Chow has one more year on his contract so UH should not fire him. If next year's team starts the same way as this year's team, then maybe fire him then.
on November 4,2013 | 05:11PM
richierich wrote:
Oops. See Below:)
on November 4,2013 | 05:56PM
hapaguy wrote:
Chow is in his second year of a FIVE year contract.....
on November 4,2013 | 06:03PM
richierich wrote:
on November 4,2013 | 05:55PM
jussayin wrote:
As others have said, Chow, be a respectable and honorable person by admitting that the UH football program is not getting better. It's actually a lot worse than a couple of years ago before the coaching change. It's not about you, Chow. It's about the program. It's about the FANS. I must have missed it when he thanked us. So Chow, stop thinking only about yourself.
on November 4,2013 | 07:47PM
niimi wrote:
At least Fred could recruit good players.
on November 4,2013 | 08:40PM
niimi wrote:
Snicker. Smirk. JJ was a rockstar who set the pace. Confidence, program on the upswing. Nearsighted fans got arrogant and outright spoiled and thought they could do it without the rockstar. NOT! But was Mac was farsighted enough to find two young coordinators and start grooming them to take over. Fans get 500 ball and bowl game despite losing all skilled position players. Following year go 6-7 despite losing 10 of 11 starters on defense. Fans still whined. Then they win 11 and the WAC. Fans still spoiled. Win "only" (smirk) 6 games so Mac is chased out of town. Then we hire (smirk!) geezer. two young coordinators chased out of town. A year later Aranda is DC at Winsconsin--Big Ten, BCS school. Rolo would have gone to a BCS school but changed his mind. Now we got Chowdah, a DC from NFL Jax who are among the worst franchises in the league. We have no real OC. But that's what the fans wanted. The bottom line is that the fans got what they deserve--Fred 2.
on November 4,2013 | 08:47PM
niimi wrote:
Chow knows he needs 5 years so that he can keep his pension under the 2% 5 year rule.
on November 4,2013 | 08:49PM
brysenc wrote:
Look, I rarely if ever comment on online stories like this and I am a season ticket holder. But I think Norm Chow is doing a great job as head coach. As a team they are showing great improvement illustrated by how they seem to rally back in most of the games they have played. They have also done a good job of, this season, learning the new coaches playing style, something that everybody knew would need to happen. I don't think that Mr. Reardon told the whole story and the way he told it was a little weird. I think and appreciate the work of Tsai and Lewis for digging a little deeper and telling the whole story. I definitely think that Chow can deliver a win or two this season and more in the future. GO BOWS!!!
on November 4,2013 | 09:16PM
Warrior32 wrote:
Fire the coach
on November 4,2013 | 11:17PM
CartwrightPark wrote:
Who cares if he's from Punahou? Can he beat the teams that this team is capable of beating. Yes this team is not a great team, but should it be winless now? NO. UH fans not asking for Nick Saban/Pete Carroll like results. We just want to beat the teams we should be beating...
on November 5,2013 | 06:20AM