Monday, April 21, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

BYU sweeps Hawaii in volleyball

Cougars advance to NCAA regional at USC

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 04:03 p.m. HST, Dec 10, 2013

Alexa Gray put down 13 kills and unseeded Brigham Young swept No. 11 seed Hawaii 25-21, 25-17, 25-13 in the NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Tournament's second round Saturday night at the Stan Sheriff Center.

The Cougars (24-6) out-blocked the Rainbow Wahine (25-5) 12-6 to advance to the regional semifinal at USC next week. BYU will play the Women of Troy Friday

Senior Emily Hartong finished her career with a match-high 17 kills for Hawaii, swept for the first time this season. It was the worst home loss for the Wahine in the rally scoring era, which began in 2001.

The 51 points were the fewest since the straight-set loss to Washington in Seattle in the 2010 NCAA Tournament's second round.

Tambre Haddock added 11 kills and 11 digs for BYU, whose six previous losses this season had all come on the road. The Cougars finished with a 46-44 edge in digs, led by Ciara Parker's 15.

Senior libero Ali Longo finished with 15 digs for the Wahine and junior defensive specialist Sarah Mendoza 10.

BYU had four aces to Hawaii's none. The Wahine had 11 aces in Friday's first-round win over Idaho State.

COMMENTS

ss029 wrote:
LoL
on December 7,2013 | 08:10PM
bleedgreen wrote:
Aloha Emily !!!
on December 7,2013 | 08:15PM
FLIPTOP2 wrote:
So hey Dave Shoji - always upset when UH doesn't get to host a regional VB tourney. To get slammed by an unseeded team doesn't bode well. Think it's time to exit...
on December 7,2013 | 08:22PM
HOSSANA wrote:
No excuse for Hawaii losing or getting swept at that. Its time that Shoji move on as the game has passed him by lonnnnnnnng ago. Its the concensus opinion of the people jammed in this sports bar that Shoji has also overstayed as coach..........Please don't talk about his most victories as a coach because if he was in the Pac 12 or Big Ten or any other conference he would be lucky if he had 500 wins......LOL........Merry Xmas till next year!!
on December 7,2013 | 08:25PM
FLIPTOP2 wrote:
AMEN!!!
on December 7,2013 | 08:46PM
Wazdat wrote:
WOW
on December 7,2013 | 08:26PM
808waddup wrote:
Thank you Emily for 4 great years!
on December 7,2013 | 08:38PM
TaiBow wrote:
Wha' Happened? - Not a good way to cap a season of expectation - - - 8^(
on December 7,2013 | 08:57PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
We were watching from Upper Level Section J and The Rainbow Wahine were outclassed totally. How could a team that defeats Texas, the defending National Champion, become so inept all of a sudden. I noticed Jade Vordster was not playing much and I wonder why? This defeat is very similar to the romp that Seattle had over San Francisco, 34-7.
on December 7,2013 | 09:07PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
True story, after the match, we went into the restroom and a guy that looked like a football player was waiting in line: I was right behind him so I asked if he played football. He said yes and long story short, he turned out to be Larry, the Punahou quarterback. So I offered to shake his hand and he did. That was a thrill lol. I told him to let them know to have him play QB for UH.
on December 7,2013 | 09:13PM
aieanani wrote:
Wow! I can't believe all the negative comments about Dave Shoji. Way to show your loyalty & integrity! I bet if we won, you'd all be singing his praises. Shame on you.
on December 7,2013 | 09:13PM
copperwire9 wrote:
THANK YOU for that classy comment. Some of the others have been cringe-worthy.
on December 8,2013 | 12:20AM
ski3779 wrote:
The only good thing to come out of this early exit from the Tournament is that, Laura Beeman, has Kalei Adolpho a lot earlier then she was expecting to have her. Kalei Adolpho could even make the Wahine's next road trip.
on December 7,2013 | 09:16PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Great point dude
on December 7,2013 | 10:24PM
UncleFester wrote:
It's the same thing that led to the other losses this year, the failure to receive the serve properly and to pass. That, coupled with a fierce block by BYU, spelled the difference. It was a complete one-sided domination and more dominating than the score indicated. As a season ticket holder since the Stanley opened, I don't immediately recall a worse defeat at home. Well, there was that loss to Michigan State in the NCAAs after we went up 2-0. But place this on the coach??? Surely you jest. I feel bad for the seniors, who, I am sure, had different plans for December.
on December 7,2013 | 10:49PM
blunite wrote:
Congratulations to UH for winning the conference. I predict that next year UH will not only go to the NCAA regionals but they will make the sweet 16. The reason...Taylor Higgins, who will be a great UH setter. Recall how Kanoe Kamana'o was the only returning starter and that team went 30-0 for the regular season. Besides the passing, all of UH's losses had one common thread..., the setting. It is just as important to know where to set as it is being able to set the ball well. All season the middles received few sets, and half of those were difficult to hit. In one loss UH set Emily Hartong 60 times.
on December 7,2013 | 11:01PM
Waikele wrote:
Record of 25-5, 83% winning percentage this year, and you call for Shoji's departure? He's a Hall of Fame coach, lifetime winning percentage of 85% for 39 years, most wins in NCAA history, he's the best thing Hawaii has, in any sport. Has never done anything professionally or personally to discredit UH or himself. What have you done?
on December 7,2013 | 11:03PM
kiragirl wrote:
As I earlier predicted, the "others" on the team cannot produce. The consistent trio cannot hold the team and they will be gone next year. That leaves only Taylor as the bright spot but her too needs much improvement. Wonder what Shoji will do to make the improvements. Anyway, mahalo to the seniors and yes. Coach Shoji. Go Bows!
on December 7,2013 | 11:09PM
Norton wrote:
I did everything I could think of so that the wahine would win tonight. I wore a black dress, green slippers and jade necklace, and carried a bright green bag. I ate stale popcorn continuously (it worked in sets 3 & 4 last night) and used the same hashtags on all my social media posts. I cheered until my voice cracked and clapped until my hands turned red. Still, all of my faith, spirit and utter ridiculousness was not enough to help the Wahine beat BYU tonight. The disbelieve of the fans was palpable at the end of the game. How could our golden girls lose to an unranked team at home? It's easy to point fingers at the lackadaisical coaching, inexperienced players lumbering around the court, numerous missed digs, target at the back left side of the court, poor servicing (who is the serving coach?) or lack of communication on the court. Yet there was something larger at play. Something that transformed a red-hot team beginning of the season into a group of women that second guessed themselves on the court. The answer is simple -- they started to no longer love the game. Looking a the BYU team, they were in the game -- living it breathing it, enjoying it and totaly in sync. Our wahine were simply players and no matter how much we the fans loved these amazing athletes, we couldn't change their hearts and minds. So the real question is what happened to their spirit and how will the coaching staff and Wahine get the team back in sync with each other and enjoying, if not loving, every minute on the court? I want to thank the Wahine for taking us on an amazing journey this season and hope that they only remember the highlights and learn to love the game again. Let's Go Bows!
on December 7,2013 | 11:12PM
UncleFester wrote:
Hmmm. The second half of your post is thought-provoking. I agree with your characterization of the spirit of the two teams; UH seemed to be going through the motions, and BYU was completely into the game. Did you notice how young BYU is?
on December 7,2013 | 11:30PM
Norton wrote:
Very young and really only one star player. Yet, because they played as a team, they were able to defeat our team which had more individual talent on the court.
on December 8,2013 | 06:08AM
Mei mei wrote:
I like your insight, I can relate... I too am one of those very passionate fans - that thought if I believed enough in the Wahines would somehow will them to win and take it all the way... heartbroken for the fans and for Na Wahine... I believe they are even more so... Happy Holiday everyone - till next season - god bless!
on December 8,2013 | 07:55AM
usahwn wrote:
Thank you wahine ; my heart bleeds with you. You did your best as always but sometimes things work out funny, not as expected. All good things must come to and end eventually and we all must move on. Thank you and Coach Shoji for a most exciting roller coaster season.
on December 8,2013 | 05:22PM