Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 10 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

State lawmaker from Big Island to resign for personal reasons

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 02:09 p.m. HST, Dec 09, 2013

State Rep. Denny Coffman announced today that he will resign later this month for family reasons.

Coffman, whose wife died this year, said his daughter faces a medical issue. The state House said in a statement that his resignation is effective Dec. 20.

Gov. Neil Abercrombie will appoint Coffman's replacement.

Coffman, who was first elected to represent a Kona side district in Hawaii County in 2008, was a respected voice on environmental issues. He once served as chairman of the House Energy and Environmental Protection Committee.

"I am extremely honored to have been elected by the people of Hawaii island and to serve three terms in the Legislature. It is with a heavy heart that I made this decision but as a father and grandfather, I am firmly committed to my family and will be there for my daughters and grandchildren in their time of need. I leave knowing that I have represented the communities of Hawaii Island and the state to the best of my ability," Coffman (D, Naalehu-Captain Cook-Kailua-Kona) said in a statement.

COMMENTS

lew4543 wrote:
I wonder if our governor ever thought about resigning from offce for personal reasons
on December 9,2013 | 01:50PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
No because he would rather be defeated at the ballot box.
on December 10,2013 | 02:42AM
kapoleitalkstory wrote:
Rep. Coffman will be missed at the Capitol. I hope his daughter gets healthy real soon. The entire state was lucky to have him there! MAHALO NUI LOA Rep. Denny Coffman!
on December 9,2013 | 02:35PM
kentfonoimoana wrote:
A class act. He will be missed.
on December 9,2013 | 02:59PM
Manoa_Fisherman wrote:
Rep. Coffman was a well regarded and cordial individual. A rare commodity at the state legislature. He will be missed.
on December 9,2013 | 03:06PM
nonpolitic wrote:
After meeting and speaking with him on numerous occasions, I can unequivocally say Mr. Coffman is not only a very, very, good person, but also a respected public servant and an honest to goodness dedicated family man. His actions and decisions are the embodiment of so many attributes I think all men (and women) should aspire to emulate. I wish him and his family the best of luck.
on December 9,2013 | 03:06PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Great story
on December 9,2013 | 05:19PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Thank you for your service Rep. Coffman. I wish you and your family well.
on December 9,2013 | 05:21PM
alohi123 wrote:
As a West Hawaii constituent of Rep. Denny Coffman, I can personally attest to his stellar public service and legacy of kindness, sensitivity and humanity in serving the needs of our diverse community. Whenever he met with the grassroots citizens in Kona, he was attentive, interested in our experiences and responsive. Thank you, to a truly humble down-to-earth gentleman! Many prayers are being said for him and his deservng family.
on December 9,2013 | 06:11PM
Eradication wrote:
Blessings and prayers to Mr. Coffman and his entire ohana.
on December 9,2013 | 07:32PM