Quantcast

Sunday, July 27, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 7 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Kim's aunt appears safe after husband's execution

By Hyung-Jin Kim

Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 07:18 a.m. HST, Dec 15, 2013


SEOUL, South Korea >> The aunt of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has been named to an ad-hoc state committee, the country's official media reported, an indication that the execution of her husband and the country's No. 2 has not immediately diminished her influence.

The fate of Kim Kyong Hui -- a younger sister of late leader Kim Jong Il, Kim Jong Un's father -- was questioned after North Korea announced Friday that her husband, Jang Song Thaek, was executed for trying to overthrow the government.

But her name appeared in a state media dispatch late Saturday alongside top officials on a funeral committee for fellow senior Workers' Party official Kim Kuk Thae, who died Friday. Her name appeared sixth in the dispatch, which listed more than 50 funeral committee members.

Considered extremely close to her brother Kim Jong Il, Kim Kyong Hui has risen through the ranks in recent years, helping to groom Kim Jong Un as the country's next leader and eventually take over power after his father's death in late 2011.

The 67-year-old holds a slew of top posts, including ruling Workers' Party secretary and four-star army general. Some analysts said she may be spared her husband's fate because she is directly related to the country's founder, Kim Il Sung, grandfather of Kim Jong Un.

Analysts said the dispatch suggested that Kim Kyong Hui's political standing hasn't been immediately affected by her husband's execution and that she may have even given her nephew the green light to fire Jang -- but not to have him executed.

"Jang's purging may have taken place after Kim Kyong Hui consented to it," said analyst Hong Hyun-ik from the private Sejong Institute in South Korea. "She may have opposed Jang's death sentence, but she could have agreed on Jang being dismissed."

Kim and Jang, who married in 1972, had a dysfunctional marriage in recent years, and their only daughter committed suicide in 2006 while studying in Paris, according to South Korean media reports.

If her health condition allows it, Kim Kyong Hui is expected to join other top officials Tuesday and attend ceremonies marking the second anniversary of Kim Jong Il's death, Hong said.

Looking pale and gaunt lately in official appearances, Kim Kyong Hui's public activities have been sharply reduced in recent months amid media reports that she suffers liver, heart and other ailments.

Kim Jin Moo, a North Korea expert at the state-run Korea Institute for Defense Analyses in Seoul, said that Jang's execution may have been possible because Kim Kyong Hui had not been actively engaged in politics due to her reported health problems.

Jang's execution was shocking because it was carried out only a few days after his dismissal from all posts. It's unusual for the country to publicize any purging and execution of senior officials to the outside world. Many North Korea observers said that the moves were aimed at strengthening Kim's power, but that they also indicate Kim still lacks the same absolute power held by his father.

Kim, the North Korea expert, said that Jang's execution and frequent personnel reshuffles that Kim Jong Un has undertaken over the past two years show that the young leader doesn't appear to have confidence in who to trust as he reshapes a government dotted with people from his father's era.

"Dictators always feel uneasy," he said.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 7 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(7)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
cojef wrote:
Purges are commonplace in communist countries and executions likewise very swift. One only has to look back to when Stalin was in power. The Czars were ruthless, but Stalin was the worst of the communist bunch.
on December 15,2013 | 06:38AM
samidunn wrote:
No one is safe in a dictatorship.
on December 15,2013 | 06:52AM
808warriorfan wrote:
Maybe she was the one who wanted her husband shot due to his "womanizing"...something that makes you say Hmmmmm.....
on December 15,2013 | 07:19AM
krusha wrote:
Un is probably still trying to figured out who is true friends are, since most of his inner circle are probably just loyal to him due to fear of getting purged too if they speak their mind. Another reason for him to name Dennis Rodman as his new #2 since that dude is probably the only true friend that Un has in the world right now. :)
on December 15,2013 | 07:56AM
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
LOL re: Rodman.
on December 16,2013 | 11:53AM
lee1957 wrote:
Kind of like being in the Corleone family.
on December 15,2013 | 11:36AM
Skyler wrote:
Can't even fathom the regime or living in a country like that... wow.
on December 15,2013 | 04:53PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout

Wassup Wit Dat!
Can You Spock ‘Em?

Warrior Beat
Meal plan

Volley Shots
Fey, Enriques on MJNT

Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War