Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 20 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Cellphone driving violation appears to be suspected moped thief's downfall

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 01:24 a.m. HST, Dec 23, 2013

Talking on a cellphone while driving a moped apparently landed a suspected thief in jail Sunday morning.

Police said they pulled a 55-year-old man over for a traffic violation in the McCully area at about 12:41 a.m.

Checks revealed the moped he was riding was stolen, police said.

Officers arrested him on suspicion of unauthorized control of a motor vehicle, second-degree theft, having a prohibited deadly weapon and use of a mobile device while driving, police said.

COMMENTS

2NDC wrote:
Glad the thief was caught!
on December 22,2013 | 10:24AM
tutulois wrote:
HA HA HA ! I guess there's a reason there are so many stupid criminal stories out there -- they're true !
on December 22,2013 | 10:47AM
serious wrote:
Must have been locally educated.
on December 22,2013 | 01:21PM
bumba wrote:
Oh yeah, no one from the mainland could be that dumb.........................yeah right.
on December 22,2013 | 01:33PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
serious, I guess you're not local, OR educated. Sucks to be where you're at, huh?
on December 22,2013 | 02:24PM
serious wrote:
Oh, I live close to McCully and anyone out at that time has got to be suspect--or dumb.
on December 23,2013 | 04:44AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
serious, suspect at that time on the weekend, maybe. Another person might be commuting towards his security guard job or leaving a friend or relative's home at that time. There might be hundreds of people out on the island for whatever reason. Dumb, nah.
on December 23,2013 | 04:52AM
aomohoa wrote:
I wonder if they did a breathalyzer test on him too. What a loser.
on December 22,2013 | 11:07AM
Ugh! just the thought gives me the heebie-jibbies.
on December 22,2013 | 12:09PM
bumbye wrote:
Mwah mwah mwah mwahhhhh!
on December 22,2013 | 11:31AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
They guy never learned the golden rule - never break the law when you're breaking the law.
on December 22,2013 | 01:23PM
paniolo wrote:
Agree. Same goes with car thieves that break traffic laws.
on December 22,2013 | 05:54PM
rferdun wrote:
He was lucky. There was a moped accident near my home where a guy hit a utility pole while talking on his cell phone... and died. He won't be doing that anymore.
on December 22,2013 | 02:13PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
rfer, maybe his last words were "Watcha doing? I'm cruising. I'm bored. What's up?"
on December 22,2013 | 02:23PM
HanabataDays wrote:
The one in the back of Manoa? I wondered how that guy wen veer off the road.
on December 23,2013 | 03:36AM
HanabataDays wrote:
So I can picture this guy calling his friend in the wee hours, "Guess what, brah? I wen cockaroach some wheels!" WOOP WOOP WOOP!
on December 23,2013 | 03:37AM
krusha wrote:
Stupid criminals and poetic justice go hand in hand.
on December 23,2013 | 05:55AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Those cell phones certainly are dangerous devices.
on December 23,2013 | 06:15AM
Ewasohappy wrote:
What was the "prohibited deadly weapon?"
on December 23,2013 | 07:42AM
lowtone123 wrote:
Might as well have put a sign on his back that said "arrest me-I'm driving a stolen moped".
on December 23,2013 | 03:11PM