Sunday, July 27, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 22 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police investigate pedestrian accident on Kapiolani Blvd.

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 06:24 p.m. HST, Dec 24, 2013

Police said a 22-year-old Honolulu man was not in a marked crosswalk when he was struck by a car and critically injured Tuesday morning in the Ala Moana area.

The man was apparently trying to cross Kapiolani Boulevard in the makai direction near Kamakee Street at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday when he was struck by a light blue MINI Cooper, traveling in the Ewa direction.

The driver, a 45-year-old Honolulu man, was not hurt.

Paramedics took the pedestrian to the hospital in critical condition, Emergency Medical Services reported.

Police said he suffered numerous head and internal injuries.

Several lanes were closed until about 2 p.m. as traffic investigators examined the scene of the crash.

The car's windshield, roof and hood were damaged.

Police said speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors in this crash.

COMMENTS

paniolo wrote:
Not in crosswalk? Don't see a crosswalk in the pic.
on December 24,2013 | 01:39PM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Even if there were a crosswalk, it doesn't mean anything. So many people misuse the crosswalk it pitiful.
on December 24,2013 | 02:16PM
AmbienDaze wrote:
Recently, I was turning right from S. King into Alder Street after the sun went down, i guess about 7:00.
As I make the turn, all of a sudden a big, fat dude is in my headlights, so I jam on my brakes.
Then he stands there making the "WHAT???" form with his arms, as if i was infringing his rights.
Pedestrians (especially non-driving ones) have to see it from the driver's perspective.
Sometimes, we just can't see you. You have to take responsibility for your own safety.
I notice older, wiser men who walk are more courteous to a driver turning
on December 24,2013 | 03:59PM
inverse wrote:
Sound like you were making a right on the red light. Did you come to a complete stop before attempting the left? If you did chances are you would have seen the pedestrian way sooner and not have to "jam" on the brakes. Most Hawaii drivers do NOT come to a complete stop when making a right turn on red or when the light just turns red in order to save time by just rolling through the red light to make the turn without even thinking twice about pedestrians in the crosswalk under the "walk" signal I am not accusing you of running the red light but making a general point based on your description. Yes, I have been almost hit many times trying to cross S King or S Beretania on the walk sign because many drivers do just that.
on December 24,2013 | 05:15PM
hikine wrote:
It's called a California stop!
on December 25,2013 | 02:06AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Hollywood.
on December 25,2013 | 05:16AM
AmbienDaze wrote:
@inverse, i guess you're not from Honolulu or don't know how to google map. Alder street does not have traffic lights.
I had my right turn signal on and slowed to turn, slower than usual because i was going to turn into Golden Duck parking lot.
Turning in the dark, i can only see what is in my headlights as it "swings" with the turn. The dumb @ss fat dude with the attitude probably saw me before i saw him, but continued walking to play "chicken".
Plenty walkers like that. I bet you're one of them.
on December 25,2013 | 10:11AM
AmbienDaze wrote:
oh, i forgot to add that you are the typical ignorant poster mouthing off without knowing all the facts.
folks like you consider your assumptions as facts.
on December 25,2013 | 10:33AM
control wrote:
oh, did you manage to look at your self in a mirror?
on December 25,2013 | 11:15AM
AmbienDaze wrote:
oh, another one. your screen name says it all.
on December 25,2013 | 11:31AM
jtamura69 wrote:
You said it, they don't even look, and think they're a car and try to beat the yellow light.
on December 24,2013 | 07:16PM
pulelehua wrote:
City crews have to trim the trees on that Kapiolani Blvd corridor so that the tree branches don't hang too low and block the traffic signals, so that the drivers cannot see the signals changing from green to red. Pedestrians need to also be mindful of cars that don't see the lights change and don't step out into the intersection, unless the cars stop! Listen to what your Mama told you.
on December 24,2013 | 03:54PM
inverse wrote:
Yes, there are big trees on Kapiolani Blvd however there are lights on BOTH sides of the street. Point is many drivers speed and run through red lights, combined with careless pedestrians who jaywalk and /or cross streets expect cars to automatically stop for them is a recipe for disaster as seen in this story.
on December 24,2013 | 05:20PM
niimi wrote:
I drive slow. I still have had people dart in front of my vehicle. It doesn't matter when people jayrun--not jaywalk--right into your path. I come to complete stops at red lights, and I as I move through the crosswalk after the stop I still have people darting through a crosswalk with 3 seconds or less. Pedestrians' disregard for the rules--no crossing after the red hand starts flashing--is but one of several violations they commit. I think there are several posts now about drivers not being careful. I thought I'd post one about pedestrians.
on December 24,2013 | 09:26PM
syhud wrote:
There are stupid pedestrians as there are stupid drivers.
on December 24,2013 | 06:17PM
niimi wrote:
Totally agree. There are so many stupid bicycle riders, too. They ride fast in a crossWALK without even looking. They ride AGAINST traffic. They cut across lanes without looking. They run red lights. The start pedaling through an intersection against a red light before they have the green just because they feel entitled to do so. They don't wear a helmet. They don't signal their turns. They don't come to a complete stop at stop signs or intersections when they are considered a moving vehicle in traffic and that they must obey all traffic signals. Many don't wear visibility devices or clothing.
on December 24,2013 | 09:30PM
SueH wrote:
I want to see the ones not wearing clothing!! lol
on December 25,2013 | 08:13AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Yes, but in the battle between stupid driver and stupid pedestrian, the driver will survive. Better to be a smart pedestrian and heed to the stupid driver.
on December 25,2013 | 05:19AM
AmbienDaze wrote:
Darwinism in progress.
on December 25,2013 | 10:20AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Those are expensive damages to that car. That irresponsible, reckless criminal needs to assume responsibility of compensating the owner of that vehicle, regardless of what happened to him. The criminal also needs to compensate drivers who burned gas waiting in traffic due to his negligence.
on December 24,2013 | 06:31PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
living, compensate entitled drivers for gas? Really? So, each driver gets 50 cents? Where do I sign up and how do I prove my important life was inconvenienced by this accident?
on December 25,2013 | 08:19AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Sorry but I believe that criminals need to be held liable and accountable to all that end up with a monetary loss due to their crime. The technology exists today to identify all phones in cars that were stuck in traffic and burning costly gas. If your car was manufactured in the past 10 years, the technology exists to track and identify the car as well...
on December 25,2013 | 08:45AM
hikine wrote:
Plenty jay walkers around that area and cars speed all the same time.
on December 25,2013 | 02:08AM