Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 126 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Police: Speed was a factor in crash that killed 3 people

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 02:45 p.m. HST, Dec 29, 2013

This story has been corrected. See below.

Speed was a factor in a crash that killed three people, including a toddler, and seriously injured five other people on Farrington Highway near the Kahe Point power plant Saturday night, police said.

The crash involved a 2010 Honda sedan carrying four people, which collided with a 2007 Nissan pickup truck at about 8:30 p.m., police said.

The passengers in the Honda, an 18-year-old woman, a one-year-old girl, and a man in his 30s, died at the scene, police and paramedics said.

Police said the driver of the Honda went to the hospital in critical condition.

The driver of the pickup truck, a 42-year-old woman ,and her passengers, a 49-year-old woman and two girls, ages 14 and 3, were taken to the hospital in serious condition, police said.

Police said they are still investigating whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.

Correction: The driver of the Honda involved in Saturday's crash went to the hospital in critical condition and another male passenger in the car died at the scene. An earlier version of this story said the driver was killed.

COMMENTS

RetiredWorking wrote:
FWIW, Tracks Beach is wayyyy past Kapolei, past Honowai Hale, past Ihilani, close to Kahe Point. Thanks for the tip, though. Daughter is heading home to Makaha from town.
on December 28,2013 | 09:00PM
1local wrote:
ned more cops on he road. this accident ould have been prevented with median barriers...
on December 29,2013 | 10:46AM
st1d wrote:
need better drivers. the accident could have been prevented with drivers obeying the speed limit.
on December 29,2013 | 02:30PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Don't know which driver was speeding. Compare to Lisa Matsumoto (I think that was her name) who got killed by driving on the wrong side of the H-1 near Moanalua by crashing head-on to an oncoming vehicle. Someone did something so sudden that the other driver could not react in time. If I ever were to be faced with that situation, I would do everything possible to avoid a head-on collision. Just get away from a fastball, as they say in baseball.
on December 29,2013 | 03:34PM
das you Allie?
on December 29,2013 | 03:50PM
Yup
on December 29,2013 | 05:56PM
Yikes! Scary!
on December 29,2013 | 06:22PM
aomohoa wrote:
So you don't want to be know as allie any more since you are really not a student an didn't graduate? We all knew you weren't who you said you were or you would be back in ND by now We were hoping!
on December 29,2013 | 06:36PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Lol I pulled a wool over Pocho's eyes. I am not allie. I will confess though I am one of the false that appears. I am commenting with my iPhone now. My PC laptop has confiscated my HonoluluHawaii moniker and named me false. Just check out the writing style and u will know which of the three regular false I am.
on December 29,2013 | 07:14PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Sad You Tube presentation. There is no reason to speed, other then to hurt those you love.
on December 29,2013 | 02:28PM
thepartyfirst wrote:
When are they going to put up permanent concrete barriers?
on December 29,2013 | 06:45PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Do it now Neil, via an executive order !!!
on December 29,2013 | 07:15PM
Oahuan wrote:
Slow down drivers!!! What's the rush?!!
on December 28,2013 | 09:18PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Sometimes it's not the highway drivers. It might be the impatient drivers leaving Tracks Beach Park. If they underestimate the town bound cars' approach, they risk being broadsided at the 45mph posted speed(or faster). Then they're forced to scoot into the west bound lane, which might have vehicles approaching @ 40mph(or faster).What that intersection needs is a short merging lane for vehicles leaving Tracks and heading west.
on December 28,2013 | 10:20PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
This won't happen if there is a concrete median barrier on the grassy five foot wide area. Check out East Oahu: all of Kalanianaole Highway has a median barrier up from Ainakoa Avenue until the Hawaii Kai Police Station.
on December 29,2013 | 07:22PM
HanabataDays wrote:
True dat. Our kids are too sedentary, the median barriers give 'em a good high hurdle to add to the Kalaniana'ole Hwy 50 yard dash. Keep 'em limber.
on December 30,2013 | 02:35AM
serious wrote:
It all starts with the so called "little things". People run red lights, stop signs, change lanes without signaling with complete immunity and that progresses to speeding and other major infractions because they can get away with it. Look at the number of pedestrians we kill on a regular basis--seen any arrests?
on December 29,2013 | 04:10AM
Pocho wrote:
my pet peeve. There's no left turn signs going into a schools parking lot, what da yah know. A parent with teen child in passenger seat makes the left turn into the parking lot. Starts at home!
on December 29,2013 | 03:39PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
A lot of people drive from Makaha, Waianae, and Nanakuli, via Farrington Highway, into work every morning, meeting up with the traffic from Ewa, Kunia, Waipahu and Pearl City. Most have gone to West Oahu to live because of high housing costs. If many of those park their cars in a park and ride in vast open spaces in Kapolei, they could take off a significant number of cars from the H-1, as they plan to ride TheTrain.
on December 29,2013 | 07:30PM
krusha wrote:
Sometimes it's falling asleep at the wheel that causes these crashes. When you have to drive all the way out there from town and you're already sleeping, you'll be dozing off by the time you reach the Waianae area, especially if you had some alcohol in your system.
on December 29,2013 | 06:22AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
I would think the educated comment would be something to the effect of "drive in the correct lane!" Was this not a head on crash?
on December 29,2013 | 07:52AM
Jerry_D wrote:
Difficult to have a head-on crash there, since the grassy median strip is several feet wide. Not impossible, though.
on December 29,2013 | 08:16AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
So maybe the car was going 65 MPH in a 45 zone. Details at 11.
on December 29,2013 | 01:51PM
no wanda HPD sterotypes Honda's with tickets
on December 29,2013 | 03:40PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
KHNL has some info not written here such as alcohol involved.
on December 29,2013 | 05:58PM
Mahalo for the update!
on December 29,2013 | 06:26PM
10-4
on December 29,2013 | 07:24PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
living, the culpable driver never intends to drive in the wrong lane. The driver to blame is forced out of his lane by the first impact, resulting in another broadside or a head on collision in the wrong lane.
on December 29,2013 | 11:26AM
Pocho wrote:
u tink they listening? Yeah, they are, but they still going do it.
on December 29,2013 | 03:50PM
Nocturnal wrote:
RIP to those who passed, that stretch of Farrington Hwy is still super deadly. Sigh. Yes please pay attention and slow down. I was rear ended tonight too!
on December 28,2013 | 09:36PM
SteveToo wrote:
I drive that streach of road many times a week. Nothing wrong w/the road. It's the DRIVERS. Same thing when there is a shooting. Nothing wrong w/the gun, it's the SHOOTER.
on December 29,2013 | 07:58AM
stingray65 wrote:
Yeah, SteveToo, How come they do not banned motor vehicles? They always blame on guns, but never the shooters!
on December 29,2013 | 08:46AM
Pocho wrote:
how come they ban illegal drugs but not the chronics themselves? How come they ban smoking in public places but not the smokers? Hawaii now got legal Gay marriages. There's a lot of things that should be legalized here.
on December 29,2013 | 04:01PM
HanabataDays wrote:
Yeah, I like marry my cat and smoke catnip with her legally at the bus stop.
on December 30,2013 | 02:37AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Steve, agree. Both east bound and town bound highways seem okay. It's the drivers that want to converge from the side roads in a hazardous manner. They fail to realize their deadly predicament.
on December 29,2013 | 11:30AM
Pocho wrote:
going happen again. They never learn
on December 29,2013 | 03:40PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Must take driving completely seriously, as TheBus drivers do. All drivers do not and unfortunately when two immovable objects meet, a crash occurs. I know that area as I took home my brother's friend to Waianae a few years back.
on December 28,2013 | 09:54PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
It's a deadly intersection, where cars from Tracks Beach cross over east bound traffic and try to merge with westbound traffic. I've had a close call right there in daylight. At night, it's MUCH harder to see cars that are leaving the park.My prayers go out to the victims and their family. So sad.
on December 28,2013 | 10:10PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
That's why speeding is never a good idea, especially around curves. In the dark, one cannot see how near the ocean is to Farrington Highway. Also very important to have lights on for your car. Sometimes people forget to turn on their lights before proceeding because the area looks lighted enough. That's why it's good to have your lights on the auto mode so that it will turn on automatically during darkness. Defensive driving is also imperative. If at least one of the drivers involved practiced defensive driving, this tragedy would not have happened. Condolences to all involved. No mention yet of whether speed and/or alcohol were involved. Both seems involved.
on December 29,2013 | 03:35AM
SteveToo wrote:
No curves, Straight road.
on December 29,2013 | 08:00AM
false wrote:
Ok, thanks. Is that area where there's a rise, then a fall in the road? I forgot because i hardly ever drive out there. And also if the highway is divided, this kind of an accident would not occur. I suppose the highway was divided by two solid yellow lines. Maybe bad highway design. Got to put up a temporary median barrier to keep oncoming traffic in their own lanes. Never mind Laniakea. Neil, get on it !!!! or is it Captain Kirk's job ??
on December 29,2013 | 11:46AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
false, how can you speculate accurately if you're unfamiliar with the topography? And yes, the highway is divided by a medial strip. However, the lighting is so bad there, that the medial strip seems dark and invisible. It's like an optical illusion. While east bound driving near Tracks Beach, I've had the slight notion that I should drive closer towards the center of the highway. However, I KNOW there's a wide medial strip separating the highway, so I resist the urge to drive onto the medial strip. FWIW, that only happens to me while I drive there at night.
on December 29,2013 | 12:52PM
what is FWIW?
on December 29,2013 | 01:53PM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
sounds like you might be too old to drive, especially at night. Consider getting a senior bus pass
on December 29,2013 | 02:11PM
Pocho wrote:
If had pleenny millionaires living beyond Kahe, maybe the WestSide have nice lanes like the way out to Hawaii Kai on Kalanianaole
on December 29,2013 | 03:43PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
saywhatyouthink, save your $$ and get your own bus pass.My driving skills are excellent. My last ticket was in the 60's. My last bus ride was in the 70's. When I get too old to drive, I can afford to hire a chauffeur. Honolulu, ForWhatIt'sWorth..
on December 29,2013 | 03:51PM
Pocho wrote:
you can walk to the store then
on December 29,2013 | 04:03PM
aomohoa wrote:
I can tell you don't drive out there by your answer. LOL
on December 29,2013 | 06:42PM
Pocho wrote:
might be straight road but the driver cannot drive straight for whatever reason
on December 29,2013 | 04:02PM
aomohoa wrote:
Weird comment. By 8:30 at night you would know to have your lights on. SPEED was in the headline.and it said alcohol is still in question.
on December 29,2013 | 06:41PM
SteveToo wrote:
At night it is much easier to see the cars leaving tracks as their head lights shine brightly. Besides it's a STRAIGHT section of road. How could you not see anything?
on December 29,2013 | 08:00AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Pocho, you're right. They'd have more political persuasion. Sad that there are very few sidewalks in 96792
on December 29,2013 | 03:54PM
Pocho wrote:
get side to walk on. But get 50mph vehicles whzzing by. I used to live on that Farrington stretch on Haw'n Homes land. Always had motorbike HPD's tagging speeding cars on the that stretch but don't know if they cut it out over there because lack of funding. I wonder if any of them had car insurance? or even a in-standing driving license in hand?
on December 29,2013 | 04:06PM
SteveToo wrote:
There is no Haw`n Homes land there. Not until you top the hill and enter Nanakuli. I remember cops "hiding" at the first Elec. Co. road right around the bend going toward Wai`anae. Now sometimes they stay in the shadow of the overpass going to Ko O LIna.
on December 29,2013 | 04:42PM
Pocho wrote:
I was not specifically saying we lived near Tracks but just over the little road hill, the beginning of Nanas. Late at night we could here HPD bikes going back/forth issuing tickets.
on December 29,2013 | 06:00PM
hikine wrote:
People love to speed there, what's the rush? Dire consequences for driving fast. RIP to those involved. Be extra careful driving when kids are in a vehicle.
on December 29,2013 | 02:33AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Yes it looks innocent enough and the speed limits change so much: 45 to 35 to 45 to 35 to 25. The numbers all mean something and it took the people that make roads lots of thought to make those numbers. At night though, no need to rush because of less traffic and the added danger of not being able to see stuff. First time drivers through any new road would do themselves well to drive 5 MPH below the speed limit, a form of defensive driving.
on December 29,2013 | 03:40AM
hikine wrote:
Unfortunately people don't follow the speed limit. I've driven twice there and they think they're race car drivers!
on December 29,2013 | 05:17PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Something ticked off the speeding driver to go faster and faster, maybe racing.
on December 29,2013 | 06:00PM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Speeding has little to do with this. Staying in the correct lane has everything to do with dire consequences. You do realize that you can have the same deadly result in a head on collision by going as sow as 20 mph?
on December 29,2013 | 07:20AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
The speed limit there could be either 35, 45 or a transition between 45 and 35. The 20 year old may have been joyriding and lost control of his car. The police investigation will pickup all details including skid marks, final resting position of the two vehicles, so that any probable ambulance chaser (unfortunately) will have their day in court. If everyone told the truth 100% of the time, we wouldn't need all of these forensic investigations. Lawyers, police will not be needed. However we know people have a tendency to bluff.
on December 29,2013 | 10:00AM
SteveToo wrote:
Speed limit coming out of Nanakuli is 35 and changes to 45 when you top the small hill and head toward Tracks. Everyone drives about 55 there and it's safe as the road is straight and highway divided by a grass strip at least a lane wide. Coming the other direction it's 45 as soon as you leave H-1 but the road is straight once you get to the Power Plant. Still at night you should be able to see cars 100's of feet before getting close to them.
on December 29,2013 | 01:39PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
This means that the speeding car must have really been moving, for it lose control and get into a collision with a car or cars from the other direction. Well we can be sure of this: if Barack Obama does not make any headline news today, this story may be on the front page, highlighting the absurdities of driving DUI and speeding.
on December 29,2013 | 01:58PM
blame it on Honda!
on December 29,2013 | 03:44PM
hikine wrote:
Splitting the car in two means that the driver was driving at a high rate of speed. At 20 mph they could've survived.
on December 29,2013 | 05:17PM
Pocho wrote:
Going happen again, no matter what anyone says
on December 29,2013 | 03:43PM
RKC808 wrote:
OMG>I did not want to wake up to this kind of news. My heart goes out to all familes involved. Come on people, drive with Aloha. What happened to courtesy on the roads? Why are so many people driving so reckless?
on December 29,2013 | 05:00AM
false wrote:
Sign up to e-mail alerts from nixle.com for HPD and City Emergency, for info on these accidents, road closures and hurricane warnings. I got my e-mail at 9:01pm last night from HPD. Of course, who would check their e-mails every 90 seconds to see if there are any news? Well your friendly neighborhood newspaper The Honolulu Star-Bulletin, for one, er I mean, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser, for one. Man, I wonder what u guys do in the news room at Waterfront? Just keep your nose on the Police blotter 24/7 looking for any interesting tidbits? What a life !!!
on December 29,2013 | 06:05AM
Skyler wrote:
You can get nixle alerts via text, too. That's what I use instead of email. Since it's 'push' notification, I get the notifications as they're sent out.
on December 29,2013 | 11:07AM
false wrote:
I don't get mine via text, because I want to limit my text messages, per month.
on December 29,2013 | 11:43AM
Skyler wrote:
I solved that problem with unlimited text/talk w/Verizon's $50/month prepay plan.
on December 29,2013 | 11:57AM
false wrote:
Verizon has that? oh then i got to talk to my rep.
on December 29,2013 | 12:38PM
Skyler wrote:
Yep. Of course, I have a 'dumb' phone - not a 'smart' phone. If you move to a smart phone, the price goes up about $20 plus tax but still reasonable, considering.
on December 29,2013 | 06:26PM
SteveToo wrote:
So you read eMall while driving?
on December 29,2013 | 01:40PM
doesn't everybody
on December 29,2013 | 03:45PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
One time I didn't check m my e-mail for a month.
on December 29,2013 | 06:02PM
Pocho wrote:
most use messaging nowadays, lol
on December 29,2013 | 06:25PM
ehrhornp wrote:
Wonder if drinking was involved? Road was probably closed down for close to 6 hours. Must have been hell.
on December 29,2013 | 06:20AM
soundofreason wrote:
Good question. I think another more probable question is to know whether anyone was wearing their seat belts.
on December 29,2013 | 06:44AM
Bdpapa wrote:
That was my question also!
on December 29,2013 | 08:33AM
false wrote:
It's gruesome, however its the job of the City Coroner and the paramedics to determine if seat belts were used. When we see the pics of the smashed cars, we will know how bad this accident was, and it was as bad as it can get.
on December 29,2013 | 12:36PM
Pocho wrote:
doesn't look like seatbelts would have saved the passengers. Almost always the driver survives
on December 29,2013 | 03:46PM
Usagi336 wrote:
Hell for the families of the deceased. Waiting for 6 hours pales in comparison to what they are going through. I was going to Lahaina one afternoon to catch the boat home. There was an accident that closed down the highway for about 4 hours. Was making me angry for missing the boat. But when the tow truck passed us with the obliterated vehicle on board, it put everything into perspective. I prayed for forgiveness for my selfishness and comfort for the families involved.
on December 29,2013 | 02:39PM
kainalu wrote:
Horrific. Tragic. Our condolences to all involved.
on December 29,2013 | 07:20AM
dlum003 wrote:
literally the wild west out there on the roads
on December 29,2013 | 08:08AM
aomohoa wrote:
How sad. I just wonder if they were wearing seat belts , especial the 4 year old.
on December 29,2013 | 08:53AM
Thought 4 year old must be in a restrained seat, secured by the seat belt?
on December 29,2013 | 02:40PM
pakeheat wrote:
I thought the news said 3 passengers were killed in the crash? a man in his 30's, 18 yr old woman and her 1 year old daughter, where does it mention about a 4 yr old?
on December 29,2013 | 06:55PM
Skyler wrote:
The 'details' have changed a few times.
on December 29,2013 | 09:55PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Deepest condolences to those who lost their lives in this accident on December 28, 2013. We got three more days to go before 2013 is in the record books and maybe the Mayans were right in that 2012 would be monumental, in that Obama forced himself back into the White House and that thereafter, we would all feel someone's wrath. Not to say that only Jimmie Johnson may have been able to survive that scene, however a very inexperienced 20 year old man and a 42 year old woman were in the center of that storm. God Bless.
on December 29,2013 | 09:53AM
on December 29,2013 | 09:53AM
bumba wrote:
Are you nuts? Seriously?
on December 29,2013 | 10:10AM
u r
on December 29,2013 | 11:29AM
false wrote:
Keep in mind that young men mostly make this type of comment, thinking that they can make it around a blind curve with 45 MPH speed limit, speeding at 60 MPH. That 20 year old did it, and now he's gone.
on December 29,2013 | 11:31AM
false wrote:
Of course the nuts comment, not the squirrels.
on December 29,2013 | 11:32AM
waitin' on ya, O(bumba).
on December 29,2013 | 11:34AM
Where's Allie?
on December 29,2013 | 03:47PM
copperwire9 wrote:
Lay off the sauce, dude.
on December 29,2013 | 10:32AM
I drink 2% Viva.
on December 29,2013 | 11:29AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Honolulu, sometimes you're delusional.
on December 29,2013 | 11:33AM
I don't think so.
on December 29,2013 | 11:35AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Aha! false aka HonoluluHawaii!
on December 29,2013 | 03:35PM
Grimbold wrote:
The deadliest and most dangerous are young men who feel inferior and think they have to prove their worth by high speed nonsense.
on December 29,2013 | 11:10AM
false wrote:
The young men all copy each other, thinking they are Jimmie Johnson.
on December 29,2013 | 11:25AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
Grim, maybe the deadliest and most dangerous of all genders are the ones who feel superior and think they have to prove their worth by high speed nonsense.
on December 29,2013 | 11:35AM
false wrote:
So r u 75 years old? I am 4,597,308 years old. I am immortal so i don't need to prove my worth.
on December 29,2013 | 11:36AM
RetiredWorking wrote:
false, I'm not 75yo. Sometimes I like your comments when you're not in a delusional rant.
on December 29,2013 | 12:56PM
false wrote:
What part of my comments do u think are delusional? btw i am one of the other commentators on this article. I got nabbed with "false" because it happens when people like Tom Berg go off on rants and HSA believes that maybe a hacker got into the person's account. I can comment using my real screen name if i use my iPhone, which i am not now doing so. I am on my PC laptop from Office Depot, Toshiba, Windows 7, not 8 yet. If u list your phone number on this forum, i will call u to let u know that I love Hawaii and my name is Barack Obama.
on December 29,2013 | 01:25PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
false, you are easy to read.
on December 29,2013 | 01:42PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Thank you and I try to reread my comments to get rid of typos.
on December 29,2013 | 02:00PM
geo333 wrote:
Next fatal accident just may be the fault of one of those crazy 18-wheel truck drivers speeding, or insist in breaking the law by driving in the fast lane with his other buddies along side of him in the other lanes just so they can aggravate everyone else on the highway. Truckers by law have to stay in the far right-hand lane per HPD. If they would do that then so many other drivers would be able to get around them safely without have to dodge in and out of traffic. Let alone save our windshields and paint jobs.
on December 29,2013 | 11:20AM
false wrote:
Do those 18 wheelers speed and are crazy? They would not have their jobs if they did so. They may hog the road, however so does TheBus.
on December 29,2013 | 11:28AM
geo333 wrote:
Do they speed? ABSOLUTELY! Crazy is as crazy does, for instance I had one crazy trucker ride my bumper in the fast lane to try to get me to get out of his way and I was already going 75 mph. So yea that is one crazy trucker!
on December 29,2013 | 12:05PM
false wrote:
Please get his license number of his wheeler and company logo on his cab. Let him pass and if u have a video camera running u don't have to use paper and pencil to jot the info. Better yet, if u r an off duty HPD officer, u got him !!! Report it to 911 next time. If u file charges, HPD will require u to appear in Traffic Court as a witness. 95% of the time though, one driver cannot file charges against another. It has to be caught in the act, by the HPD. California though allows for drivers to report other drivers that seem to be DUI. The officers need to catch the guy in the act though. Then again, the max speed limit in Hawaii is 60 MPH, so Traffic Court might ask u why u urself was going 75 MPH.
on December 29,2013 | 12:16PM
false wrote:
Similar to the accident in February this year. Sometimes roads are not safe and not lit well enough. Its always the blame of the driver who sped or drank too much, however could the roads be made safer? These tffragedies will always occur before lawmakers appropriate funds to improve roads. The roads however take into account blind curves and such, so speed limits must be obeyed, solid lines not crossed and alcohol not consumed, if one plans to drive. We are a mobile society, however transportation has its limits, most notably SPEED LIMITS. The sign saying speed limit 45 MPH is not there optionally, it is a requirement to protect the lives of those who DRIVE.
on December 29,2013 | 11:24AM
Bdpapa wrote:
This is sad. My condolences to the families. Speeding just doesn't work.
on December 29,2013 | 11:42AM
false wrote:
Only works for Ambulances. In fact, sometimes I think Ambulances drive too slow. Don't they know they have critically ill patients?
on December 29,2013 | 11:49AM
808Cindy wrote:
SLOW DOWN DRIVERS !!! SLOW DOWN !!!
on December 29,2013 | 12:27PM
Pocho wrote:
As Allie would put it. Scary!
on December 29,2013 | 03:48PM
This is a tragedy all the away around. Deepest condolences to the friends and family of everyone involved.
on December 29,2013 | 12:42PM
GWakai02 wrote:
Legend has it that Farrington Hwy has a "menehune crossing" in that area. .
on December 29,2013 | 12:48PM
false wrote:
Well Governor Wallace Rider Farrington loves u.
on December 29,2013 | 01:29PM
naialani wrote:
Much Aloha to the families. Our prayers go out to you.
on December 29,2013 | 01:11PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
Reminds of the Deedy trial verdict. HSA first reported that a verdict had been reached. Then we find out that a hung jury occurred. HSA does not compete with anyone except The Associated Press for daily news, so why not just withhold information on a ongoing story and just publish it when 90% of the relevant information is confirmed. Here we first believed that a 20 year old was the driver. Now we find out a 30 year old is the driver. I went through those times in my life long ago as I am now 56. There is a huge difference between a 30 year old and a 20 year old. Similarly HSA is not competing with PBN directly however I tend to believe PBN much more. The other parts of the paper? To me just get rid of the Op Ed people. u guys just opine too much and who will listen to u anyway? u got wrong a lot of the endorsements for major recent political elections, including Mufi's defeats.
on December 29,2013 | 01:47PM
Sandybeach wrote:
The next few days really require special attention to ones driving. Lot of movement and people in a hurry. Police check points maybe helpful. But the driver is ultimately responsible to control his vehicle. Be responsible...save lives by just using your head. Slow down avoid any alcohol and think of others. Good resolution for 2014. "Think about the other person".
on December 29,2013 | 05:50PM
Skyler wrote:
The driver should have died; all others should have survived - but that isn't the case. Don't drink & drive, people - geez. You ain't supa man.
on December 29,2013 | 09:49PM