Quantcast

Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 17 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Man dies after being hospitalized in butane honey oil blast

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:49 p.m. HST, Jan 03, 2014



Hawaii County police said the man who had been hospitalized after an explosion involving the production of marijuana-derived oil has died.

Rasi Summers, 30, of Kea'au was pronounced dead at 5:20 p.m. Thursday at Straub Medical Center in Honolulu, where he was taken after suffering severe burns.

He had been listed in critical condition with second-degree burns, police said.

The explosion on Dec. 28 on 17th Avenue in the Hawaiian Paradise Park subdivision in Puna knocked out windows, blew out doors of cabinets and melted plumbing fixtures, police said.

Police said at the scene, there was evidence of a laboratory used to manufacture a marijuana byproduct called butane honey oil.

Police said butane honey oil laboratories are becoming more prevalent on Hawaii island, as they are across the country.

A 28-year-old Puna woman was arrested and later released, pending further investigation.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 17 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(17)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
SteveToo wrote:
Did a Google search on this and found this comment. Guess this dude didn't read what I just read. Butane is Highly Flammable and ALL extractions are to be done Outdoors Only, doing extractions indoors is extremely dangerous. There have been accounts of people blowing up their houses, kitchens, bathrooms doing Butane and other solvent extractions indoors.
on January 3,2014 | 05:19PM
cojef wrote:
Curiosity killed the experimenter or "the devil made me do it"! Sad he could not use his energies elsewhere, instead of killing himself.
on January 4,2014 | 07:29AM
soundofreason wrote:
Guess he won't be doin' THAT again.
on January 3,2014 | 05:56PM
mokebla wrote:
Case of sowing and reaping, he saved taxpayers some money.
on January 4,2014 | 03:18AM
Slow wrote:
He sowed death? So he derved death? I hope you live on Oahu and continue to share your aloha.
on January 4,2014 | 06:55AM
SueH wrote:
Hey, Slow, you certainly live up to your name. Yes, he reaped what he sowed, and while he may not have "derved" death, he certainly reaped the consequences of his illegal activity. If it resulted in death, oh well, he took the chance and lost. Nobody made him do it. I live on Oahu and share aloha all the time, but don't have ANY aloha for drug dealers and meth head addicts.
on January 4,2014 | 08:45AM
joseph007 wrote:
This guy was creating a substance that is highly addictive, sold to anyone, including kids. This drug makes people rob, steal, kill and anything to get more. I for one am glad this creep won't be around anymore to instill horror on society. He got what he deserved. Aloha to his kind.
on January 4,2014 | 08:55AM
XML808 wrote:
let's hope Straub can get paid for his care otherwise we all end up paying for it, one way or another,
on January 4,2014 | 11:31AM
iwanaknow wrote:
Cheaper than jail?
on January 4,2014 | 03:04PM
Sandybeach wrote:
Initial report of 3rd degree burn over a large portions of his body left him a limited chance for any type of recovery. People that participate in this kind of activity endanger the entire community wherein they live. Blast, heat, and fire are more intense than a normal fire with ordinary combustibles. Also very dangerous to first responders due to toxic materials at the scene of the incident..
on January 4,2014 | 05:40AM
lokela wrote:
No more honey boo boo.
on January 4,2014 | 07:02AM
krusha wrote:
Probably would have been worth his while to where a flame-retardant suit when trying to extract his concoction.
on January 4,2014 | 07:54AM
cartwright wrote:
Wonder now how many more addicted folks in Puna get inspired to cook marijuana oil. Well, the future explosions will take their toll.
on January 4,2014 | 08:42AM
Ronin006 wrote:
Reap what you sow.
on January 4,2014 | 10:10AM
patk wrote:
The only tragedy here is that this doesn't happen to all drug dealers.
on January 4,2014 | 10:30AM
joewilly wrote:
He didn't know how to extract the oil from the cannabis. Dudes have been smoking honey oil for decades. This dude was just stupid.
on January 4,2014 | 03:18PM
Canefire wrote:
Butane hash oil.
on January 4,2014 | 04:54PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News