Saturday, November 28, 2015         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Classes resume at Roosevelt as 'Hawaii Five-0' films in gym

By Gregg K. Kakesako

LAST UPDATED: 4:40 p.m. HST, Jan 29, 2014

Classes resumed at Roosevelt High School this morning with counselors on hand to help students, parents and staff, who may be feeling distressed or uneasy after police shot a 17-year-old runaway who threatened police with a knife on campus Tuesday.

The shooting prompted the school to go into lockdown and students were sent home early.

The resumption of school coincided with the filming of a scene from the television crime drama "Hawaii Five-0" in Roosevelt's gym.

A CBS production crew is filming a segment featuring the high school reunion of Chin Ho Kelly, portrayed by Daniel Dae Kim.

CBS said the filming would take all day and not involve any students or action scenes, such as shootings. It was scheduled last month.

Roosevelt Principal Jeanette Uyeda said teachers were told that any students who looked distressed today should be referred to counselors.

Counselors were also available for parents and faculty.

The Department of Education sent four extra counselors to Roosevelt today to supplement the seven who are on staff.

"I am just happy everything is OK," said sophomore Chris Haida, 15, as he returned to school this morning.

The teen involved in the shooting remains hospitalized this morning after he allegedly assaulted three police officers with a large  kitchen knife in a counselor's room at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

An officer shot him in the wrist, according to an Emergency Medical Services Division report.

It's unclear if the teenager will be treated as a juvenile or if prosecutors may try to charge him as an adult.

If he is treated as a juvenile, the Family Court proceedings will not be made public.

The boy had arrived unannounced Tuesday to register for classes, Uyeda said.

"We knew his background," said Uyeda. "His mother had called us to let us know he was a runaway."

The teen's mother, Shereen Narvaes, said Tuesday night that her son has been diagnosed under a broad spectrum of psychiatric illnesses that includes schizophrenia, and that for the last year she has been trying to get him treatment.

The boy had been awaiting a psychiatric review to determine fitness to stand trial for misdemeanor charges when he escaped from the Queen's Medical Center, where he had been admitted by court order. He also ran away from a facility operated by Hale Kipa, a social service agency serving at-risk/high-risk youth, Narvaes said.

Uyeda said a vice principal and a counselor were with the suspect, but left the office when the suspect became combative when police arrived.

The school went into lockdown after the shooting and classes were canceled at 10 a.m.

Uyeda said she commended faculty for their actions during the lockdown.

The last handgun incident at a public school occurred In 2011 when a 14-year-old student brought to Highlands Intermediate School in Pearl City. The handgun went off, narrowly missing one student and leaving another with minor injuries.

More From The Star-Advertiser

Students make a quiet return

 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

You must be subscribed to participate in discussions

Latest News/Updates