Friday, July 25, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Amanda Knox says she will not willingly return to Italy

By Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 06:22 a.m. HST, Jan 31, 2014

SEATTLE >> Amanda Knox said today she will fight the reinstated guilty verdict against her and an ex-boyfriend in the 2007 slaying of a British roommate in Italy and vowed to "never go willingly" to face her fate in that country's judicial system .

"I'm going to fight this to the very end," she said in an interview with Robin Roberts on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Knox said she has written a letter to the family of her slain British roommate, Meredith Kercher, expressing sympathy for the legal ordeal that continues more than six years after she was stabbed and sexually assaulted.

"I want them to know I understand this is incredibly difficult. They also have been on this never-ending thing. When the case has been messed up so much, a verdict is no longer a consolation for them," Knox said during Friday's interview.

"And just the very fact that they don't know what happened is horrible," Knox said.

"They deserve respect and the consolation of some kind of acknowledgement," she said. "I really wish them the best."

Kercher's sister Stephanie and brother Lyle were in the courtroom in Florence for the Thursday's verdict.

"It's hard to feel anything at the moment because we know it will go to a further appeal," Lyle Kercher said. "No matter what the verdict was, it never was going to be a case of celebrating anything."

Knox's former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, has been prohibited from leaving Italy while the case continues.

"I don't know what I would do if they imprisoned him. It's maddening," Knox told GMA.

And she is not ready for the possibility she could be extradited to Italy to serve a 28-year prison sentence.

"This really, it hit me like a train. I didn't expect this to happen. I really expected so much better from the Italian system. They found me innocent before, how could they say beyond a reasonable doubt," Knox told GMA.

During the trial, Knox, 26, remained in Seattle, where she is a student at the University of Washington.

The court reinstated a guilty verdict first handed down against Knox and Sollecito in 2009. The verdict was overturned in 2011, but Italy's supreme court vacated that decision and sent the case back for the third trial in Florence.

"I just really hope that people try to understand that (when you have) overzealous prosecutors and when you have a biased investigation and coercive interrogation these things happen. And I'm not crazy," Knox told GMA.

COMMENTS

serious wrote:
She's in the Seattle area, I'd pack my toothbrush and a change of clothing, get into Canada and take a flight to Cuba where there is no extradition to the USA. She speaks Italian so Spanish shouldn't be too difficult to learn. Anyone who has followed the case, she's guilty.
on January 31,2014 | 05:41AM
ellinaskyrt wrote:
I followed the case. it's clear that there is more than enough reasonable doubt about Knox' culpaility. The Italian police botched the interrogations and contaminated or otherwise rendered physical evidence useless, or came up with harebrained about what the physical evidence proved (that Knox' DNA was present should not be proof of her guilt--hello! she lived there!). The Italians already have someone in prison whose DNA was not only on Kercher, but In her, and who confessed to the crime, Rudy Guede. Guede was offered a lesser prison sentence for incriminating Knox and her then-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito. The tragedy is that because of this circus, the Kercher family will never find peace because they won't ever have a fully definitive answer.
on January 31,2014 | 08:47AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Italians should stick to making pizzas an spaghetti and leave all the legal stuff to real people.
on January 31,2014 | 05:58AM
inverse wrote:
You forgetting about the victim, a young English woman who was brutally murdered? The circumstances in which the woman was murdered was so unique that it could not have been anyone but the boyfriend and Knox. Everyone was demanding for justice against Van der sloot for the murder of Holloway in Aruba, Americans should similarly require Knox to be held accountable for initiating/participating in the murder.
on January 31,2014 | 06:21AM
loquaciousone wrote:
GUILTY - NOT GUILTY - GUILTY -- WHAT'S THE NEXT VERDICT?
on January 31,2014 | 07:33AM
lee1957 wrote:
Here at least you still need evidence and proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Hunches don't count.
on January 31,2014 | 10:51AM
pueohonua wrote:
Amanda Knox is NOT guilty. A retired FBI agent independently participated in the investigation and rendered his opinion that the Italian prosecution investigation was "botched" from the beginning. The prosecution evidence demonstrated that the guilty party has been prosecuted and is in jail. The guy's DNA was all over the place. There is ONLY circumstantial evidence against Amanda Knox. I think Americans should think about putting our freedom at risk in a county like Italy. There should be a boycott for American travel to Italy. Italy is not deserving of Americans traveling there. We should not allow Italy to prosecute innocent Americans at their whim. Idiots! I will never go there. Amanda Knox is innocent.
on January 31,2014 | 07:30AM
AhiPoke wrote:
I don't know one way or the other if Knox is guilty or innocent. I also don't know if the Italian judicial system is better or worse than our's. Personally, I have significant questions about the fairness and equality of our system.
on January 31,2014 | 08:03AM
serious wrote:
AhiPoke, I agree with you. I wish the Italian courts had tried OJ.
on January 31,2014 | 09:34AM
nitpikker wrote:
i can't comment. i don't know enough about the case. but i wouldn't go back either.
on January 31,2014 | 07:40AM
ryan02 wrote:
Knox didn't seem to have any sympathy for the restaurant owner, Lumumba, who was initially wrongly accused of murdering the poor woman. Who wrongly accused Lumumba? Amanda Knox. Lumumba won a lawsuit against her because of it. But now, we are supposed to have sympathy for Knox when she claims SHE is the one being wrongly accused? I don't know how much she knows about this murder -- I have doubts she participated in the actual killing, because there's no evidence, but I do think she was covering for someone else. I just have little sympathy for someone who callously accused an innocent person of murder and didn't give a rip what happened to HIM, whether he'd spend his life in prison for a murder he didn't commit. I got no tears for this woman.
on January 31,2014 | 08:06AM
inverse wrote:
Good point, why would Knox lie to authorities and claim Lumumba who is an African, with Kercher's murder, then later try to retract the statement saying she was under so much pressure during the interrogation that she felt she had no choice but to make up the false accusation of Lumumba with the murder. As others have pointed out, taking all evidence into consideration, Knox should be held accountable. Knox is like Jodi Arias; smile, look innocent and attempt use her looks to her advantage.
on January 31,2014 | 01:54PM
bully106 wrote:
don't go back, amanda... never, never, never. the italian justice system doesn't play fair and they had their chance. i feel sorry for sollecito who got caught just as he arrived back in italy. poor s*o*b. the us govt will need to get involved with any attempts to take her back to italy.
on January 31,2014 | 08:46AM
Iuki wrote:
How many times can Italy try someone for murder. First she's guilty, then she's not guilty, then she's guilty again. This could go on forever. I don't blame her for not wanting to return, and I hope she isn't extradited. Three trials are too many. Plus, after having read a lot about the case, it appears to me they really don't have enough evidence against her. Thus the not guilty ruling second time around.
on January 31,2014 | 11:10AM
st1d wrote:
we'll see how the extradition proceedings play out. the warrant should be coming out soon for the locals to hold her pending the extradition. probably will have to go to uphold the u.s. treaty with italy.
on January 31,2014 | 01:58PM