Quantcast

Friday, July 25, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Guilty verdict returned in cold case murder

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:11 p.m. HST, Feb 05, 2014


A  jury in state court has returned a guilty verdict against a man on trial for the murder of an 81-year-old woman in a senior housing apartment building in 1989.

Gerald L. Austin, 54, was on trial in the July 1989 murder of Edith Skinner.  

Honolulu police recovered DNA from Skinner's body but were not able to match it to Austin until 2011.

Austin was 29 years old at the time of Skinner's murder and on parole for burglary.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(23)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
kauai wrote:
Unfortunate that we don't have a death penalty. The punishment should fit the crime. Commit a cruel and unusual crime, receive a similar punishment.
on February 5,2014 | 01:45PM
Eradication wrote:
Sorry to say but the death penalty does not and has not reduced violent crime in the U.S. or anywhere else for that matter. Just like war. Does that solve anything except steal the lives of our future, our youth? Society wants vengeance and thus lowers itself to the level of the criminal to satisfy its thirst for blood. We, as a society, claim to be so technologically advanced and yet when it comes to violent crimes we resort back to our most primitive nature. Death rows across the country aren't crowded because we are not killing them fast enough. They are crowded because we as a society haven't figured out how to adequately deal with crime. I'm not saying that we should let them all go. What I am saying is that we have to look for solutions rather than temporary emotional vengeance.
on February 5,2014 | 03:08PM
cojef wrote:
But it save taxpayer from having to pay for his incarceration over many years. Furthermore, what are a killers redeeming characters that is worth saving. Just look at this killer after 23 years. He doesn't have to look of a rehabilitated individual, let alone have the looks of a preacher.
on February 5,2014 | 04:20PM
Grimbold wrote:
He looks like a necrophiliac zombie in a horror film.
on February 5,2014 | 06:23PM
Grimbold wrote:
Forced labor is the way to go.
on February 5,2014 | 06:20PM
aomohoa wrote:
Tell that to a victims family!
on February 5,2014 | 07:37PM
sak wrote:
Genetic Cleansing
on February 5,2014 | 07:44PM
BigdogMD wrote:
Solutions? Dude, monsters DO walk the earth. Just as a person can be born with a medical disease such as diabetes or cancer, a person can also be born with a mental disorder which compels them to become a predator to other human beings. As far as your assertion that the death penalty does not save lives? Read this article http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/us/18deter.html?pagewanted=all. Stop your BS rhetoric and provide facts.
on February 5,2014 | 09:05PM
Eradication wrote:
Facts? http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates.
on February 5,2014 | 10:56PM
RichardCory wrote:
Life in prison is a much worse punishment than death.
on February 5,2014 | 05:34PM
aomohoa wrote:
Just don't give them solitary confinement. They need a real friendly room mate.
on February 5,2014 | 07:38PM
aomohoa wrote:
An eye for an eye!
on February 5,2014 | 07:36PM
Eradication wrote:
Antiquated religious mumbo jumbo.
on February 5,2014 | 10:58PM
MKN wrote:
Lke I said, this was an open and shut case. DNA does not lie.
on February 5,2014 | 02:41PM
nitpikker wrote:
from what i read in earlier stories i thought austin would get away. because we definitely don't have the capabilities of a csi or ncis.
on February 5,2014 | 03:11PM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
Well, we obviously do have the capabilities as CSI as this guilty verdict along with the DNA testing just proved your point is invalid.
on February 5,2014 | 04:30PM
skinut wrote:
Glad to hear the jury did not believe his outrageous and despicable claim of the victim having consensual sex with him.
on February 5,2014 | 04:03PM
kiragirl wrote:
Justice served. Let the punishment fit the crime.
on February 5,2014 | 05:25PM
Maunawiliboy wrote:
may he burn in hell
on February 5,2014 | 05:50PM
Eradication wrote:
There is no hell.
on February 5,2014 | 10:59PM
Grimbold wrote:
He has redeeming quality: He could earn his keep as an actor in a horror movie.
on February 5,2014 | 06:27PM
Bdpapa wrote:
DNA? Somehting wrong here. He may be a pervert but I can't see how they proved murder.
on February 5,2014 | 07:18PM
kiragirl wrote:
Circumstantial evidence beyond a reasonable doubt.
on February 5,2014 | 08:32PM
64hoo wrote:
the jury brought in a guilty verdict against a man for murder. what is it. 1st degree murder or 2nd degree murder. difference in sentencing come on sa let us know.
on February 5,2014 | 09:20PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News