Quantcast
  

Friday, April 18, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 10 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Overheated batteries caused Ewa Beach townhouse fire

By Star-Advertiser Staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 01:31 p.m. HST, Feb 12, 2014


The fire that burned four units at a townhouse complex in Ewa Beach Feb. 1 was accidentally set when batteries used for radio-controlled airplanes overheated.

Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said the batteries were being charged on a table in the garage of one of the units. The batteries overheated igniting a fire that spread to four units in the Arbors complex on Laaulu Street.

Damage to the four units was estimated at $680,000.

The townhouse complex consists of seven units, but only four of them suffered damages.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 10 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(10)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
GoldenRule wrote:
What kind of charger? Trickler or full charging unit?
on February 12,2014 | 12:22PM
wave1 wrote:
What kine batteries--- LIPO?
on February 12,2014 | 12:53PM
kahu808 wrote:
LiPo, Lithium Polymer, have a reputation of overheating and causing fires and that type of battery would be the most likely suspect. Instructions specifically say not to charge them unattended.
on February 12,2014 | 02:15PM
localguy wrote:
Actually LiPo batteries are no more dangerous than any other rechargeable batteries as long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions. Most likely the owners failed this simple step, the result was the fire.
on February 12,2014 | 03:42PM
loquaciousone wrote:
junk kine
on February 12,2014 | 02:25PM
64hoo wrote:
probably the batteries were backups for those stupid electric cars that people like to drive, so they charged them and left them unattended.
on February 12,2014 | 03:27PM
64hoo wrote:
nah only kidding, but can you imagine anybody charging there electric car battery, overcharges it bye bye car, the battery would catch it on fire. so electric car owners be careful.
on February 12,2014 | 03:39PM
krusha wrote:
When storing those types of items, make sure nothing is flammable around that area. All it takes is one spark to make your house go up in flames. Probably better to get a locked storage area made of materials that won't burn if you want to store that kind of stuff.
on February 13,2014 | 05:55AM
wave1 wrote:
Herd on the radio this morning the batteries were for a Model remote control airplane. 99% chance the batteries were LIPO's. I was charging some LIPO's last night on my porch (for an RC Car). I was going to leave them charge over night, then I said naw, what about that house fire. I'll charge them LIPO's some more when I get home and can keep an eye on em. Will also start storing out side in a hole in the ground.
on February 13,2014 | 06:54AM
wave1 wrote:
The batteries were LIPO.
on February 13,2014 | 06:54AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News