Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Hawaiian Airlines drops Fukuoka service

By Dave Segal

LAST UPDATED: 02:41 p.m. HST, Feb 26, 2014

Hawaiian Airlines is suspending daily service to Fukuoka, Japan, the second Asian city it has dropped within the last year following an aggressive international expansion.

The state's largest carrier said Tuesday that the final flight from Honolulu to Fukuoka will be June 29 and the last flight from Fukuoka to Honolulu will be the following day.

"Unfortunately, despite two years of effort, we have not seen sufficient passenger growth to justify continuing the service," Hawaiian President and Chief Executive Officer Mark Dunkerley said in a statement.

Hawaiian, which discontinued Manila service on Aug. 1, still serves four Japanese cities. It offers daily service from Tokyo and Osaka, and three-times-a-week service from Sendai and Sapporo.

The first flight to Fukuoka was on April 16, 2012.

COMMENTS

entrkn wrote:
I wish Hawaiian would resume service to Manila... and a lot of other people living in Hawaii wish they would too.
on February 26,2014 | 02:36PM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Brink back your Manila flights, Hawaiian. Waaaay more demand from locals than Fukuoka.
on February 26,2014 | 02:58PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
I wasn't aware they stopped their Manila route. I still remember all the people lined up in Tamarind Park for their chance to win the free flight when they were getting ready to launch. It doesn't seem like that long ago.
on February 26,2014 | 03:13PM
localguy wrote:
Wow. Hawaiian's CEO really blew it to have to cities stopped. What was he thinking? Clearly failed to do his due diligence before making the decision. He should not receive any pay raise or bonus for such terrible business decisions. There is a price to be paid for failure.
on February 26,2014 | 04:17PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Oh please what are you talking about. The airline is profitable, they are sitting on half a billion in unrestricted cash and the stock price has shot up. Sometimes notwithstanding all of your planning things don't work out, cut your losses and move on.
on February 26,2014 | 04:47PM
entrkn wrote:
Lets be fair. Mark Dunkerley is one of the best airline CEOs in the industry and Hawaii and Hawaiian is very lucky to still have him because nearly every other airline out there would love to have him. I just wish I could pursued him to resume service to Manila for me and my Filipina wife, and for all the other Filipinos in Hawaii...
on February 26,2014 | 10:29PM
bluehawaii21 wrote:
Ya, and I want to bring my Haole wife back to the Philippines, but can't they choose a nicer airport in the Philippines like Cebu(tad bit nicer than MNL) as Ninoy Aquino aiport is the pits. That and I am from the Visayas too, makes our travels easier =)
on February 27,2014 | 12:51PM
iwanaknow wrote:
Not even once or twice a week to/from Fukuoka? sad......
on February 26,2014 | 04:42PM
HD36 wrote:
Sounds to me like more people are running out of money.
on February 26,2014 | 05:41PM
808warriorfan wrote:
It was only a matter of time...Hawaiian really has to watch it as they have a a new fleet of Airbus 330s to pay for a A321s on order. Have to pay for those just like a car.....
on February 26,2014 | 06:44PM
808warriorfan wrote:
To those leaving comments about Hawaiian going back to Manila, well Hawaiian was treated like a step-child when it came to terminal space, etc by the Philippine Authorities and if you are familiar w/ the Philippine government there was surely some pockets that needed to be "greased". Even when "greased" nothing happened so I'm sure you'll NEVER see Hawaiian flying to MNL again unless things drastically change. It's nothing about the demand from the local people; it's the Philippine authorities and if you are from or familiar with the workings of the Philippine government you know what I mean
on February 26,2014 | 06:47PM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
There are dozens of airlines flying to MNL long before Hawaiian started service, They are still doing business in Manila. Hawaiian is the only carrier the Philippines decide to pick on? Come on get serious. You do what it takes to remain viable. Their load factors were always high. This business is about demand and butts in the seats. I remember when HA announced they were discontinuing service to MNL claiming their fares were too low and they weren't making any money. Well......raise the fares and be competitive. Don't insult the flying public about bad gates and terminal space issues.
on February 26,2014 | 11:53PM
Ronin006 wrote:
on February 26,2014 | 07:39PM
Ronin006 wrote:
Have the people who work in the censorship department at the Star Advertiser completely lost their minds? This comment. IRT Hawaiian Airlines dropping its Fukuoka service, was sent for approval: “Those of you who have been following the stories about Hawaiian Airline’s rapid expansion may recall my repeated comments about HAL going too far and too fast. I also said that airlines adding routes to Hawaii would not bring in more business as the Hawaii Tourism Authority kept claiming but instead would just provide travelers with more options. HAL’s decision to pull out of Fukuoka is proving me right.”
on February 26,2014 | 07:57PM
Ronin006 wrote:
on February 26,2014 | 08:01PM
Ronin006 wrote:
on February 26,2014 | 08:02PM
Ronin006 wrote:
HAL’s decision to pull out of Fukuoka is proving me right.
on February 26,2014 | 08:02PM
Ronin006 wrote:
I regret having to break up my comment into three sentences. It was necessary because the entire comment was sent for approval by the Star-Advertiser’s censors. What are they smoking?
on February 26,2014 | 08:04PM
Wazdat wrote:
You knew was coming and may happen more for Hwn air. They are a local interisland carrier that has gotten too big...
on February 26,2014 | 08:56PM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:

This will not be the case for our Rail to Nowhere. Despite warnings from those in the know, we are CERTAIN that we will MEET ridership projections that we would even SABOTAGE our freeways so that commuters would need to SWITCH to TheTrain. Sounds like a forced scam to me !!!

on February 26,2014 | 09:11PM
opalaedo wrote:
With low-cost carriers from Asia offering great deals from Fukuoka to Asia such as Taiwan and South Korea for a mere three-hour flight -- ideal for a day trip -- Hawaiian can't compete with that. Also the fact that the Japanese consumption tax will go from 5% to 8% in April also will make travel to Hawaii more expensive. It is possible that its Sapporo and Sendai flights could face such a fate in the near future.
on February 26,2014 | 09:58PM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Sapporo, Sendai , Brisbane and Auckland are next.
on February 26,2014 | 11:56PM