Monday, July 28, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 48 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Woman injured in Waikiki robbery dies

By Rob Shikina

LAST UPDATED: 03:05 p.m. HST, Feb 26, 2014

A woman who was in a coma for three weeks after a violent purse snatching in Waikiki died on Tuesday night at Straub Clinic & Hospital, Honolulu police and her family said.

Jullie Stephenson, 52, was robbed about 9:20 p.m. Feb. 2 in front of her apartment building, the Tradewinds, at 1720 Ala Moana Blvd., police said.

Her family announced her death in a blog early this morning.

Family said she was returning home from work when a male shoved her down from behind and grabbed her purse.

Stephenson, a Hawaii native and 1979 Kaiser High School graduate, broke her hip in the fall and started bleeding internally. Doctors placed her in a coma to protect her organs from further damage.

Stephenson is survived by three children and four grandchildren.

No one has been arrested in connection with the attack.

Police said the case may be reclassified as a homicide depending on the outcome of an autopsy.

COMMENTS

jess wrote:
So horrible! I hope they find the people responsible.
on February 26,2014 | 10:10AM
twitter6 wrote:
Vigilante justice. Court are worthless. Punks need to receive exactly what they dish out.
on February 27,2014 | 11:14AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
There are many many cameras in the area. Why have they not approached every camera owner and demanded a time extraction so that the public can help to locate this evil person?
on February 26,2014 | 10:20AM
toad103410 wrote:
I agree with you, except I would have used an "expletive deleted" word instead of "evil person". You have a lot more class than I.
on February 26,2014 | 12:52PM
groinksan wrote:
Not everything has been revealed to the public. They may very well be exploring videos of the scene right now. I'd allow for the investigation to mature before making any assumptions on how this case is being handled.
on February 26,2014 | 06:55PM
pgkemp wrote:
so sad..........find this individual(s)
on February 26,2014 | 10:21AM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
HPD find these murderers and bring them to justice.
on February 26,2014 | 10:31AM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
The story states, "when A male shoved her down".. Not sure where you got the idea of multiple perps.
on February 26,2014 | 11:26AM
Manawai wrote:
There is knowledge of a ring of purse snatchers operating in Waikiki.
on February 26,2014 | 11:45AM
2disgusted2 wrote:
I had my wallet on the top rung of a grocery cart at a grocery store I won't name. I bent down to pick up paper towels and my wallet was gone and the store wouldn't do anything. Waited an hr for police to come!
on February 26,2014 | 05:04PM
juke wrote:
hear say unless you name the store
on February 26,2014 | 05:22PM
IAmSane wrote:
And that's why God created something we call "pockets."
on February 26,2014 | 08:45PM
aomohoa wrote:
Live and learn. I did the same thing with my purse once. Looking at the cereal and looked back and it was gone. It's not the stores fault it's yours, just like it was mine. When I see other women doing just that I tell them what happened to me.
on February 26,2014 | 08:49PM
1truehawaiian wrote:
Then our liberal judges would just let them off with a slap on the wrist (pretty sure these perps have been through the system before)! That part of Waikiki is pretty seedy and with all the tax $ that area brings in one would think the city would clean it up or at least patrol the area. A few more crimes like this and you can kiss your tourism $ good bye!!.
on February 26,2014 | 03:04PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Condolences to her ohana.
on February 26,2014 | 10:43AM
BadBingo wrote:
I am so sorry for her and her family. This is a terrible tragedy.
on February 26,2014 | 10:44AM
Mei mei wrote:
soo sad, my Condolences to the family .... RIP.
on February 26,2014 | 10:48AM
lokela wrote:
Ditto everyone above.
on February 26,2014 | 10:49AM
paniolo wrote:
My deepest ALOHA to her ohana. So senseless crime. Catch the person responsible and throw away the keys.
on February 26,2014 | 10:55AM
sunshine1 wrote:
So sorry to hear of her passing!! I too hope they find this ***hole and lock him up!
on February 26,2014 | 11:16AM
Mana07 wrote:
Probably one of Colin Elderts buddies
on February 26,2014 | 11:21AM
luvshawaii wrote:
What a stupid thing to say.
on February 26,2014 | 04:26PM
Larry01 wrote:
Okay, anybody have a worse comment?
on February 26,2014 | 04:49PM
Upperkula wrote:
I think you are out of line, Star Advertiser should delete this defamation of post. Now you are picking on people you dont even know when you post crud like this. How do you know his buddies had anything to do with this senseless act of violence..
on February 26,2014 | 05:15PM
Mana07 wrote:
you are right. I shouldn't have posted that.
on February 26,2014 | 07:00PM
Mana07 wrote:
We seriously need the death penalty
on February 26,2014 | 11:21AM
Skyler wrote:
Exactly.
on February 26,2014 | 11:52AM
iwanaknow wrote:
Wishful thinking, although I concer
on February 26,2014 | 12:49PM
Mahalo wrote:
So sad.. PLEASE if anyone seen anything please speak up!!
on February 26,2014 | 11:24AM
Shh wrote:
Very sad and the judge should have no remorse for this individual. I don't carry that much money in my purse for a purse snatcher to be satisfied and it really was not worth this lady having to lose her life!
on February 26,2014 | 11:39AM
Manawai wrote:
God bless Jules and her family.
on February 26,2014 | 11:46AM
kiragirl wrote:
My condolences. May God Bless.
on February 26,2014 | 11:50AM
Rogerk44 wrote:
Better use of PD by having more undercover & less PD at construction points. Have seen many not attentive while on duty for construction sites.
on February 26,2014 | 12:02PM
Iuki wrote:
"May be reclassified as a homicide depending on the results of an autopsy?" Oh, come on! She died as a result of the assault. She wasn't the first woman on earth, either, to die in that manner. Get real!
on February 26,2014 | 12:03PM
fshnpoi wrote:
rest in aloha jullie stephenson and condolences to her o'hana, especially her mo'opuna.. and seriously hpd, you need an autopsy to see if it can be re-classified as a homicide?
on February 26,2014 | 12:15PM
copperwire9 wrote:
It's required protocol.
on February 26,2014 | 12:46PM
Usagi336 wrote:
My condolences to the ohana. Hope they catch the classless coward(s).
on February 26,2014 | 12:52PM
lawaianui wrote:
Another good for nothing walking our streets, preying on an innocent woman. It takes a real man to attack a woman from behind, and steal her purse, eh? I would wager that the perpetrator most likely is a junkie repeat offender, who took Ms. Stephenson's life for what cash she had in her purse, most likely to buy dope with. He probably has been arrested multiple times, and then released, to continue his preying upon innocent people.....auwe...auwe!
on February 26,2014 | 01:43PM
Skyler wrote:
You're probably correct... auwe...auwe, indeed.
on February 26,2014 | 04:40PM
soundofreason wrote:
Courtesy of our liberal judges. Sleep well judges. And, YES, I'm willing to place a bet on this.
on February 26,2014 | 07:41PM
nssanes wrote:
An assault violent enough to break a hip in a 52 year old woman and cause lethal brain injury is not just "purse snatching".
on February 26,2014 | 02:12PM
aomohoa wrote:
If the animal that did this can read I would like to know if a woman's life is worth stealing a few dollars for the next drug fix. I can only hope no one ever cares about him and he has a long lonely painful miserable life. I'm sorry but that is the way I feel. My heart goes out the the family. RIP Mrs. Stephenson.
on February 26,2014 | 02:13PM
hawaiiwalter wrote:
How sad. But, just another reason for the tourists to skip Hawaii and go elsewhere where it's safe...and a lot less money.
on February 26,2014 | 03:58PM
2disgusted2 wrote:
Why does anyone go to Waikiki anyway! Mid 70s mother stopped letting us go there! But then, the next story is about a decomposed body which might be right in my back yard! Geez, what is wrong w Hawaii!
on February 26,2014 | 05:01PM
glenn57377 wrote:
The easy availability of drugs. The worsening of the economy. The addicted's loss of conscience, in need of their next fix. Maybe they just wanted her money. They didn't begin the crime to kill, but that was the result. A woman's life snuffed out. A family that will never see her again, in this life, and grieve for her. An enraged island ohana. The 20th largest police force in the NATION cannot be everywhere, all the time. Catch this murderer.......make him pay for the rest of his life.......and he will continue paying after this life. May he rot in he)). The death penalty is not available........well.........legalize lynch mobs. Let justice be served. WWKKD. What would King Kamehameha do?
on February 26,2014 | 05:47PM
Kruzah wrote:
My condolences to the family members. I actually worked with Julie, she was at the time, my sales rep. Very nice energetic lady. Very sad to hear this senseless act to think the horrible person is still out there. Come forth you coward!
on February 26,2014 | 08:49PM
hikine wrote:
A life for X amount of stolen money. What is this world coming to! May these guys suffer as she did, low lifes.
on February 27,2014 | 12:17AM
CartwrightPark wrote:
So sad what society is coming to. Keep the Aloha in Hawaii or else its just like any other place...
on February 27,2014 | 08:56AM