Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 51 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Woman hit by garbage truck in Kalihi dies

Accident is the second pedestrian fatality in the area this month

By Gregg K. Kakesako

LAST UPDATED: 10:47 a.m. HST, Feb 27, 2014

A 71-year-old woman was killed crossing a Kalihi street Thursday while in a marked crosswalk, just a half block from where another woman was killed earlier this month.

Honolulu Police Lt. Bobby Towne said a city garbage truck hit the 71-year-old woman at about 5:50 a.m. on North King Street near Gulick Avenue.

The pedestrian, whose home is near the intersection, was on her way to work, Towne said.

Paramedics took her in critical condition to the Queen's Medical Center, where she died.

The garbage truck, driven by a 57-year-old woman, was turning left from North King to Gulick Avenue.

Speed, alcohol, and bad weather were not factors in the accident, Towne said.

The intersection is controlled by a traffic light and the victim was obeying the traffic signals when she was hit in the crosswalk, Towne said.

Police closed Ewa-bound lanes of North King at Kalihi Street and makai-bound lanes of Gulick Avenue at Beckley Street while Traffic Division officers investigated. The road reopened by 8 a.m.

On Feb. 4, Clarita Ocol, 67, was returning from an early-morning walk through her neighborhood when a pickup driver struck her in a crosswalk on North King Street between Gulick Avenue and Mokauea Street.

The impact knocked Ocol out of her shoes and threw her body more than 20 feet.

Ocol was taken to the Queen's Medical Center, where she later died. Police have opened a negligent-homicide investigation.

She was struck by a Chevy pickup truck driven by a man in his 40s, police said The road was wet from rain at the time and visibility may have been a factor, police said.

COMMENTS

islandsun wrote:
Expect plenty more accidents. Pedestrians do whatever they want.
on February 27,2014 | 07:36AM
glenn57377 wrote:
I yield to the driver when walking. You live longer that way. Few people stop at stop signs and lights. I'll simply stand as long as necessary until no car is coming. When I ride my motorcycle, I pretend everyone is attempting to kill me. Anticipate everyting, react into a safe position.........and LIVE! Most people are courteous......but it only takes one vehicle to KILL you.
on February 27,2014 | 09:55AM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
Thanks Glenn, I have roughly the same mindset, as I ride a motorcycle as well and my thought process is to "always be aware of EVERYTHING" around you and always have a way OUT of a potential problem, ie: always have a lane or access point you can move into to dodge any potentials such as other cars trying get into your lane.
on February 27,2014 | 10:37AM
daniwitz13 wrote:
No, it is the drivers that kill whoever they want. That is the problem. Aren't drivers supposed to SEE whatever in in their path? Pity
on February 27,2014 | 12:37PM
DAGR81 wrote:
Ignorance is bliss...good luck to you
on February 27,2014 | 04:03PM
toad103410 wrote:
She was in a marked crosswalk.
on February 27,2014 | 01:32PM
sailfish1 wrote:
islandsun - you were out in the sun tooooo long. "The intersection is controlled by a traffic light and the victim was obeying the traffic signals when she was hit in the crosswalk" . Try reading the full article and then comment. Remember, you and your family are pedestrians too - your car can't go inside stores, schools, offices, etc.
on February 27,2014 | 04:26PM
islandsun wrote:
Very few pedestrians follow the rules & your probably one of them.
on February 27,2014 | 04:51PM
honopic wrote:
Bogus response. sailfish1 is right, and u are wrong. Doesn't matter how many other pedestrians (or drivers) follow the rules - this woman was the victim here. She was in the crosswalk and had the light. How is that "Pedestrians do whatever they want" to you?
on February 27,2014 | 05:20PM
islandsun wrote:
Could be that she was following the rules, just not paying attention to the truck. So what. I MOSTLY see pedestrians doing whatever they want.
on February 27,2014 | 06:12PM
kiragirl wrote:
Same pattern: Elderly and dark hours. The other day I saw an elderly lady crossing at a snail's pace and a young male with his bicycle walking with her. When she finally made it across, he then took off. What a nice gesture. He actually took the time to "guard" her. Hats off to him. We need to do those 'nice gestures'.
on February 27,2014 | 07:49AM
Larry01 wrote:
Very nice indeed. Glad you shared that.
on February 27,2014 | 08:05AM
copperwire9 wrote:
That's a really nice observation. Thank you.
on February 27,2014 | 09:56AM
lee1957 wrote:
A twofer.
on February 27,2014 | 10:30AM
Shawn211 wrote:
How do you know it was the pedestrians ? Were you there in person or are assuming?????
on February 27,2014 | 07:49AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
Shawn211; Quote from the article, "Emergency Medical Services said the pedestrian accident occurred at 5:50 a.m. at Gulick and North King streets.".
on February 27,2014 | 08:09AM
joseph007 wrote:
Expect more pedestrian accidents. Drivers are un-attentive to driving, while on cell phones, texting, making beef stew in crock pots while driving.
on February 27,2014 | 07:50AM
Surfer_Dude wrote:
Pedestrians are UN-attentive to walking. They are on cell phones, talking, texting and playing games. They are in their own world oblivious to their surroundings.
on February 27,2014 | 08:53AM
glenn57377 wrote:
You are right. However, you should respond as a driver to the circumstances. See and anticipate the danger and react accordingly. Pretend they are blind.
on February 27,2014 | 10:01AM
DAGR81 wrote:
Foolish of pedestrians not to anticipate the danger and react accordingly, After all, the pedestrian always loses to a vehicle.
on February 27,2014 | 04:08PM
niceynicey wrote:
But in this case, the woman was obeying all the laws, obeying the signals. So tragic!
on February 27,2014 | 10:02AM
glenn57377 wrote:
You are so right! I see people texting ALL THE TIME while driving. They try to cover it up......but it is so obvious. Following way behind the car in front. Trying not to lower the head.....only the eyes. The head still goes down a little. Constant mirror checks. Swerving. I see more texting than people openly using their cell phones. It takes a special kind of stupid to text while driving!
on February 27,2014 | 09:58AM
HOSSANA wrote:
Who eve wrote this short piece really don't know their street directions of Gulick and Kalihi etc.??
on February 27,2014 | 07:53AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
"Police closed Ewa-bound lanes of North King Street and Kalihi Street and makai-bound lanes of Gulick Street at Beckley Street while Traffic Division officers investigated the crash scene. The road reopened by 8 a.m." Talking about two different intersections.
on February 27,2014 | 08:11AM
dontbelieveinmyths wrote:
How about we pound into the heads of drivers to be more careful. At the same time we start to pound into the heads of pedestrians, they should assume that the driver DOES NOT see you.
on February 27,2014 | 08:16AM
gobows wrote:
how does slow moving garbage trucks hit slow moving senior citizens?
on February 27,2014 | 08:22AM
inverse wrote:
For the pedestrian who was hit to fly 20 feet in the air and the impact knock her out of her shoes, the city Opala truck driver was going full speed in making her left turn and probably did not even bother to look if there was any pedestrian in the sidewalk. Investigators need to check the truck drivers cell phone records and determine if she was on the phone or texting will she was driving. Pretty sure Opala drivers are on the uku pau time schedule and the faster they finish their runs the earlier the end their work day. Strong motivation to speed, go through yellow/red lights, etc.
on February 27,2014 | 09:09AM
Kate53 wrote:
Agree, inverse.
on February 27,2014 | 09:37AM
copperwire9 wrote:
Pretty sure you should read more carefully. You're combining last week's details with today's.
on February 27,2014 | 09:58AM
paniolo wrote:
@inverse, the garbage truck did not hit the pedestrian that you say "fly 20 feet in the air and the impact knock her out of her shoes." That pedestrian was Mrs. Ocol, who was involved in the Feb. 4 accident. Mrs. Ocol was hit by a Chevy pickup truck.
on February 27,2014 | 10:23AM
inverse wrote:
Stand corrected on the 71 yr and how she was hit, however does not change the fact that the Opala truck driver making a left turn while the pedestrian was in the crosswalk and had the walk signal was mowed down by the Opala truck either because of distraction or irresponsible driving skills of not actively looking out for pedestrians at intersection crosswalk. Unfortunately this Opala driver is typical of Oahu drivers who pay no attention to pedestrians and consider them as nothing. At any intersection in Honolulu such as on S Beretania drivers run red lights to make left turns and try to "beat" the pedestrians in the sidewalk so they don't have to wait for pedestrians to pass. If you are pedestrian, you learn exactly the 'brushback' maneuver by turning vehicles. In this one case I hope some money grubbing attorney files a lawsuit on behalf of the family of this 71 year old woman. Yes, he is going after taxpayer money but the lawyer should also go after the Opala driver personally and send a wake up call to all drivers in Hawaii, to take responsibility for driving a vehicle and respect the rights and safety of pedestrians who have to cross streets and intersections.
on February 27,2014 | 11:47AM
Masami wrote:
I drive this route every morning at around that time. Its DARK at this time of morning due to the "seasons" and I notice a majority of pedestrians wear DARK clothing and even though I'm aware of this and I'm going the speed limit at most, its very hard to see "dark on dark". Drivers gotta be really careful and pedestrians should think about what color they're wearing if they're out and about that early.
on February 27,2014 | 09:13AM
dsl wrote:
Police investifgation is to rule out City/State/road fault = no lawsuit. Roads are dark in that area because Jeremy put those pretty/fancy street lights that don't light up the street.
on February 27,2014 | 11:08AM
pakeheat wrote:
I assume that the garbage truck had her lights on at that time?
on February 27,2014 | 11:41AM
sailfish1 wrote:
Masami - do you know that cars have lights to use when it's dark?
on February 27,2014 | 04:22PM
ryan02 wrote:
According to the article, the accident today wasn't due to bad weather. But for the Feb. 4th accident, "The road was wet from rain at the time and visibility may have been a factor." Yet the Feb. 4th accident results in negligent homicide investigation. Does that mean that today's accident will also result in a negligent homicide investigation? Or will the City garbage truck driver be given a "pass" by the City cops?
on February 27,2014 | 09:22AM
shaka09 wrote:
Here's a suggestion, no garbage pick up (private or c&c) before 8:30 am. Wait until the traffic dies down, why should they take one or two lanes when there is rush hour traffic. Plus the sun is up by then, and they can see the pedestrians better. Prayers out to this lady's family.
on February 27,2014 | 09:48AM
rkyprod wrote:
Just last week I emailed a complaint on the City's website about a garbage truck operator driving recklessly with two guys hanging on the back. It was speeding and ran a stop sign in a residential neighborhood before sunrise and I advised them to do something about it...too late now. I wonder if it was the same truck?
on February 27,2014 | 10:10AM
glenn57377 wrote:
In all my years in Hawaii, there have been numerous times when I have been run off the road, hit from behind, hindered dangerously by poor driver movement......and even a hit and run where the driver stopped later and the police were called. The police write out a report.......and that is about it. In essence, I asked the policeman, who didn't like the question, if the police didn't see it, it didn't happen? Not the case in the most exteme cases, of course. The police asked what I wanted them to do. I replied, I don't know, what are you supposed to do? I had the imprint of the offending car on my back bumper as proof. Suddenly, the police were on the side of the culprit. The hit and run. I had the extreme satisfaction of getting the result of the insurance company's investgation where the culprit got all the blame. I was very tempted to mail a copy of the report to the investigating policemen.......but I thought better of it. I had witnessed this driver cross over a wide white line to get behind me on an exit ramp. He was following so close......I was alarmed. I pulled over. The car stopped beside me.......with a staredown. Traffic was backing up behind him. We proceeded forward and he got behind me. At the next stop light......he rolled right into the rear of my car. The entire story is heresay, since the police did not see it. However, the other car hitting my bumper turned out to be true since it was the findings of the insurance company investigation. I was stopped at the time of the hit. Even the police turned againt me. One thing I learned. Never be the only white guy at a citizen's convention in Hawaii. May God forgive this State for all the bigotry and discrimination that goes on here between all cultures.
on February 27,2014 | 12:38PM
GONEGOLFIN wrote:
My condolences, although I was reading in the paper this morning under the editorial section a gentleman, Boris Netupsky, had indicated the the sole resposibility is borne on the driver of a vehicle. Not sure what his mindset is, but I can asure you this, it is EVERYONE'S responsiblity to navigate our highways and biways in a safe manner. As for myself, I will ALWAYS look out for my own welbeing and not try and defer the responsibility on anyone but myself, whether as a pedestrian or a driver. We are all responsible for our own lives-
on February 27,2014 | 10:34AM
glenn57377 wrote:
In Japan, you cannot get your driver's license until you have completed an extremely intensive drivers program. It includes driving around in a mock city with challenges. It is very expensive. If you don't pass, you pay and try again. It is a lengthy course. If you pass and are licensed, you are considered a professional driver. You hit anything or anyone.......and the law is not on your side. In the US, we tend to be more logical and can see where a pedestrian can be at fault. That seems more logical to me. Professional or not, you cannot avoid stupid. Again, in Japan, if the driver is at fault, the family to family protocol is very expensive and unwritten mandatory. If you do not go through with the "I'm so very sorry routine......and here, please accept this ungodly amount of yen as a token of my apologies," you are going to have a much worse time later - when the legal process kicks in. In Japan, being sorry for something you have done wrong, and showing it, goes a long way.
on February 27,2014 | 12:23PM
gobows wrote:
pedestrian's heads gotta be on a swivel whenever you walk on to where vehicles drive. RUN dont walk across............
on February 27,2014 | 10:45AM
gobows wrote:
RUN don't walk across the street
on February 27,2014 | 10:45AM
OBEY THE TRAFFIC RULES! That goes for BOTH pedestrians and drivers. BTW, garbage truck and bus drivers should be taught to be even more cautious to set the example.
on February 27,2014 | 11:05AM
lowtone123 wrote:
Having been both a driver and a pedestrian in ths day and age, I understand what a driver should do in regard to when appoaching a pedestrian and what a pedestrian should do when facing approaching vehicles. We all share the road and we all should pay attention and we all must be courteous and respectful. I know that many are not. My rule is always be aware (anticipate the unexpected), never assume that the other person will do the right thing and when in doubt, err on the side of caution.
on February 27,2014 | 11:06AM
Bully wrote:
Its dark at 5:50 am, the garbage truck cannot see you. Dont walk in the front of the truck.
on February 27,2014 | 12:31PM
makaha72 wrote:
Please be more accurate in your headlines. You shouldn't have said she was killed because she died at Queens Medical Center.
on February 27,2014 | 02:22PM
Compassionate_Cat wrote:
We have a serious problem when both a pedestrian and motor traffic have a green light. It is stupid to think that the driver is not going to anticipate driving forward when they have the light so it sets up pedestrians to get killed unless they wait for traffic like it used to be. When I was growing up you waited until the cars were gone to cross, it was common sense even though you have the walk signal, they have a green light TOO. So basically the DOT needs to decide who should have the right of way and change the lights so we don't have people and cars, trucks, etc., all going to run into each other.
on February 27,2014 | 02:32PM
gtk14 wrote:
C&C need to check street lights on N. King half of the lights not working (bad lighting). No excuse for poor driving but may have been a factor in fatality.
on February 27,2014 | 02:41PM
sailfish1 wrote:
How sad. The lady probably worked hard all her life, is still working at 71 years of age, and gets cut down by a driver who is in a hurry and is not paying attention to what is in front of him. Garbage trucks in my neighborhood zoom through narrow residential streets - if a child or elder walks out on the street, it's all over.
on February 27,2014 | 04:29PM
GoldenDisc wrote:
Drivers need reminders on how to turn left. Some drivers watch they oncoming traffic, and when there is a break, they turn left without looking where they are going. See opening in traffic, look to left, then step on gas. On the pedestrians side, they see cars that go partly into the turn and then wait. They won't notice that the vehicle is not stopping, until the vehicle is too close to dodge.
on February 27,2014 | 05:05PM