Quantcast

Thursday, July 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 4 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

FBI: Release of marathon suspect photo right call

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:55 a.m. HST, Mar 24, 2014


BOSTON >> Federal law enforcement officials debated whether to release photos that led to the capture of a suspect in last year's bombing at the Boston Marathon, an FBI official has told CBS News.

Stephanie Douglas, executive assistant director of the FBI's National Security Division, said in a "60 Minutes" interview broadcast Sunday night that releasing images of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who has been charged in the bombings that killed three people and injured more than 260, was the right thing to do even though an MIT police officer was killed soon after.

Prosecutors say Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, killed officer Sean Collier while on the run.

Douglas said law enforcement "really had no choice" but to release the photos.

"Believe me, the death of Sean Collier is not lost on the FBI," she said. "But I think at the end of the day, given the facts as we knew them at the time, we made the best decision."

An argument against releasing the photos by security cameras along the route of the race was that they could have provided an incentive for the still unidentified suspects to escape, Douglas said.

Rick Deslauriers, the agent in charge of the Boston FBI office, said his wife told him at the time of the officer's death that she believed those who killed Collier were those who were wanted for the bombings.

"I did not believe that she had cracked the case at the time," Deslauriers said.

But an agent called to tell him that authorities believed Collier was killed by suspects involved in the marathon attack and were at that moment engaged in a shootout with Watertown police.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev died following the shootout several days after the April 15 marathon. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was wounded but escaped and was later captured hiding in a boat parked in a yard in a Boston suburb.

Tsarnaev,19, has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges, including the use of a weapon of mass destruction. More than half the charges carry a possible death sentence.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 4 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(4)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
SteveToo wrote:
Time to fry him.
on March 23,2014 | 06:10PM
aomohoa wrote:
Of course it was hard for them to not take all the credit. LOL
on March 23,2014 | 06:59PM
entrkn wrote:
The FBI needs to intervene on the missing persons and all other discrecancies and cover-ups by the Maui Police Dept...!
on March 23,2014 | 07:39PM
cojef wrote:
Is Massachusetts a death penalty State? If not, the accused killer has a long wait before he will ever see those 7 vestal virgins
on March 24,2014 | 07:46AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News