Quantcast

Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Former Schofield soldier avoids sex-assault case with discharge

By Carol Rosenberg

The Miami Herald

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 04:16 a.m. HST, Mar 29, 2014



MIAMI » A former Guantanamo prison camp guard is being permitted to quit the Army rather than face a sex-assault trial, the military said Friday.

Army Sgt. Stevontae Lacefield, 24, told The Miami Herald from Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio that on Monday the military notified him that all charges related to his case had been dropped.

He had a trial set for April 7-10 before an Army major. But by Friday his case was removed from the Fort Sam Houston trial judiciary docket.

"What this means is, instead of going to trial and court martial he's allowed to undergo separation from the military," said Army Col. Hans Bush, spokesman for U.S. Army South in San Antonio.

In another case, 1st Sgt. Richard A. Smith goes on trial next week. He is accused of raping a sergeant in January 2013 as well as sexually assaulting two other women at the base several months later.

The cases are being handled in Texas because Army South, a subsidiary of the U.S. Southern Command, is the bureaucracy that manages personnel matters for soldiers assigned to the 2,100-staff detention center in southeast Cuba that as of Friday held 154 captives.

Army Maj. Gen. Joseph P. DiSalvo, the commanding officer of Army South, approved the arrangement that averted a criminal trial for Lacefield, Bush said. DiSalvo had earlier approved the prosecution based on a pretrial proceeding called an Article 32.

Lacefield, whose Army specialty is Military Policeman, got to Guantanamo in September 2012 from the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii. He joined the Army in 2007, served twice in Iraq and described himself as a father of four.

"In my entire career I've been nothing but a good soldier," he told the Herald on Friday, disclosing the resolution of his case short of a trial. He declined to describe his specific Guantanamo duties but said that during last year's Camp 6 raid that put hunger strikers on lockdown, he saved the life of a detainee and received a Joint Service Commendation Medal.

At the time of the raid, held before dawn on April 13 by troops in riot gear firing rubber pellets, U.S. military accounts offered descriptions of brief skirmishes between troops and captives and five injured captives, none serious enough to require hospitalization. At the U.S. Southern Command, which had oversight of the prison, Army Col. Greg Julian said he was unaware of any episode of the type Lacefield described but was researching it.

Lacefield will leave the Army with a "general discharge," a status that will deny him certain veterans benefits.

"It's certainly not a good deal for anyone," said Bush. "He is certainly not facing the same benefits he would if he were discharged with an honorable discharge."

Bush added that he was not privy to the circumstances that averted this particular trial. But, he said, typically alleged victims are consulted. "I can say with great confidence everyone involved was consulted before the decision was made."

Lacefield was facing trial on charges alleging he had groped a specialist who resisted him in May 2013 in his quarters as well as "wrongfully pursuing personal and sexual relationships" with four different privates in a 10-month span at the remote base. He was also accused of allowing an underage private to drink liquor.

One of Lacefield's alleged abuse-of-power instances was described as occurring on a cellblock at the prison.

In a telephone call to the Herald, Lacefield said he believed the U.S. military had treated him fairly but that he had "absolutely not" abused his power over junior soldiers.

Meanwhile, the detention center is carrying out a local investigation of a separate allegation of sexual assault by a sailor assigned to its staff.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 8 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(8)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Skyler wrote:
Why the special treatment for the rapist? I vote for castration. It's no wonder the military is under fire for the way they handle sexual assaults.
on March 28,2014 | 03:06PM
Anonymous wrote:
Don't you just love how the 'Military Justice System' works for the good of the nation? Instead of pursuing a case against the offending soldier, they allow him to exit the military and get away with his crimes committed against his fellow soldiers! What makes this so ludicrous is that these are the very same 'military personel' with whom we entrust to protect our country!
on March 28,2014 | 04:31PM
saveparadise wrote:
I hate criminals as much as anyone but they must be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. None of us knows the details and circumstances of this trial. I did read that all the alleged victims were consulted before the decision of the court. Rape is not an easy crime to convict. There could have been holes in the case and the victims would rather see the perp discharged than have the chance of walking free.
on March 28,2014 | 05:05PM
BRock wrote:
Obviously there is not much of a case against the soldier.
on March 28,2014 | 08:13PM
cojef wrote:
Probably so, now the onus is on the civilian population to watch for this individual. Potentially an assault could ensue. Then what?
on March 29,2014 | 07:28AM
NiteMarcher wrote:
Discipline should start at the top with those in command. I'm sure the top knows whats been going on, and that which has been going on far, far to long. The one in charge will always look for a scape goat, because thats just the way it is. Politicians are just as guilty as those in the the military.
on March 29,2014 | 08:15AM
Mike174 wrote:
Thanks army! Releasing a predator into the general population instead of incarcerating him. I'm sure the women involved are thrilled too. I can hardly wait until the civilian justice system has to deal with him.
on March 29,2014 | 07:05AM
bumbye wrote:
That's just ridiculous! It's like letting a child molesting priest go without charges if he separates from the Catholic Church. What about the victims?
on March 29,2014 | 01:36PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs