Quantcast

Friday, July 25, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 52 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Record number of guns registered in Hawaii

By Gregg K. Kakesako

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 12:20 p.m. HST, Apr 03, 2014


A record 60,757 firearms were registered last year, a 20.6 percent increase over the previous year, the Attorney General's Office reported on Thursday.

The Attorney General's Office and the Honolulu Police Department estimate that there are about 1 million privately owned firearms in the islands.

The previous record was in 2012 when 50,394 firearms were registered.

A little more than half of the firearms registered in 2013 -- about 30,802 -- were imported, while the remainder, or 29,955, were transfers of firearms that were previously registered in Hawaii.

The Attorney General's Office said there is no way to determine the number of firearms that leave Hawaii.

A record 22,765 personal and private firearm permit applications were processed last year, a 4.6 percent increase over the 21,864 applications processed in 2012. Of the applications processed in 2013, 94.6 percent were approved; 4.3 percent were approved but subsequently voided after the applicants failed to return for their permits within the specified time period; and 1 percent were denied due to one or more disqualifying factors.

Seven private citizens applied for a license to carry a concealed firearm in public in Honolulu. All seven requests were denied by Honolulu Police Chief Louis M. Kealoha. On Kauai, Chief Darryl Perry approved its sole applicant.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 52 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(52)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
2NDC wrote:
Funny how the LTC numbers for Hawaii and Maui counties weren't disclosed. I know of at least one approval and one denial for Hawaii county and 3 approvals for Maui county. I personally know the applicant on Kauai. Sure wish Hawaii was a "shall issue" state.
on April 3,2014 | 11:30AM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
Why? You're walking around just fine without a firearm right now.
on April 3,2014 | 11:51AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
But he would feel more like John Wayne if he had his six shooter.
on April 3,2014 | 12:00PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Maybe more like another Deedy.
on April 3,2014 | 03:28PM
2NDC wrote:
A bit presumptuous aren't we?
on April 3,2014 | 09:12PM
bumba wrote:
Doesn't matter to me whether Hawaii becomes an LTC state or not, but I want it to be legal for me to shoot somebody who's breaking into my home.
on April 3,2014 | 12:29PM
kauai wrote:
Here, here, totally agree, especially in light of the recent home-invasion incidents. If I'm inside and somebody outside breaks in, then shoot da' bugga'.
on April 3,2014 | 03:09PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Everyone of your family shoud be armed. The family that shoots together, stays together.
on April 3,2014 | 03:43PM
kauai wrote:
Yeah, remember that, come the day that someone is breaking into your home while you're inside.
on April 3,2014 | 03:51PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Nobody can "break" into my house. As for your cheap house, yeah, maybe somebody can.
on April 3,2014 | 04:08PM
kauai wrote:
So, does that mean you're one of the "1 or 2 percenters"? You live in a McMansion perhaps? With a security system? Well, lucky you. I, on the other hand, have to live within my means in my "cheap house". What's wrong? Can't take some sarcasm? You have to get nasty and personal and assume that I have a "cheap house"? You're a fine example of the lack of decorum and civility that seems to define many people's behavior these days.
on April 3,2014 | 04:27PM
hanalei395 wrote:
I'm not rich. You didn't get my sarcasm. And you sound like someone who is daring for sombody to break in, so you can have the pleasure to shoot with an excuse.
on April 3,2014 | 04:37PM
kaupena wrote:
Thank Heavens for the Second Ammendment. You come into my property, you become fair game.
on April 3,2014 | 04:56PM
kauai wrote:
And you're making assumptions. I'm NOT daring anyone to break in. In fact, I would prefer that no one breaks in. That's the first assumption you made, and it's a wrong one. Secondly, I do NOT own a firearm, though I wish I did. That was the the second, and implied assumption that you made; also a wrong one. Thirdly, I would NOT get any pleasure out of shooting someone. That action has the potential to take a life, which I would prefer not to do. And that was the third wrong assumption that you made. I do, however, believe in the Constitution of the United States, and specifically the 2nd amendment, which, to paraphrase, states in part, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". And remember what ASSUME tends to stand for.
on April 3,2014 | 04:57PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
Break in my home while I'm inside? Just bring your own "12" pack buddy.
on April 3,2014 | 06:10PM
HAJAA1 wrote:
60,000 registered guns owned by how many registered owners? Do 100 people each have 600 guns? Can you guys do more in-depth reporting on this?
on April 3,2014 | 11:56AM
9ronboz wrote:
Yes, I have more than 6
on April 3,2014 | 08:11PM
Mythman wrote:
Err, a state approval, known as a permit, is necessary to own a firearm? Law suit time.
on April 3,2014 | 11:57AM
glenn57377 wrote:
You are only looking at registered firearms. How many people won't register them because they don't think it is any of the State's business and stick by the Constitution? How many don't want them confiscated by an overzealous government? Remember WWII?
on April 3,2014 | 02:57PM
eoe wrote:
Thanks to these people, we can now look forward to Hawaii's super low murder rate (currently third best in the country) to go down the toilet as more and more people get access to guns. Congrats NRA, soon your vision of America as Mad Max dystopia will be realized.
on April 3,2014 | 12:25PM
Dolphin743 wrote:
Seems that it hasn't happened yet with two record years in a row...Maybe, just maybe, you're making a bad assumption.
on April 3,2014 | 12:50PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Or maybe the extremely high rate of property crime might begin to decline as more people arm themselves.
on April 3,2014 | 02:18PM
bumba wrote:
Bingo.
on April 3,2014 | 02:34PM
hanalei395 wrote:
"as more people arm themselves". ......... That's a nice way to say ... kill, or be killed.
on April 3,2014 | 02:41PM
kauai wrote:
Actually, it's more like a nice way to say "deterrent".
on April 3,2014 | 03:12PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Depending on who draws first.
on April 3,2014 | 03:31PM
kauai wrote:
I have a bunch of pencils, pens and paper. Do I win?
on April 3,2014 | 03:53PM
hanalei395 wrote:
You don't win. You're dead.
on April 3,2014 | 04:10PM
kauai wrote:
So now you're resorting to threats? How 1st amendment you are....
on April 3,2014 | 04:59PM
hanalei395 wrote:
When I said "depending on who draws first", you then thought of "pencils, pens and paper". Now you know better. I just may have saved your life.
on April 3,2014 | 05:14PM
kauai wrote:
Well, *sigh*, I was trying to lighten up the mood with some humor. But I guess you didn't catch that, unfortunately. So now I know better. Thank you for setting me straight. So, I guess you meant that I should "draw" (old-west, cowboy western, O-K Corral style) first and squeeze off as many shots as possible, got it, and thanks for saving my life. Time to watch "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" again.
on April 3,2014 | 05:35PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Then, "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral", again.
on April 3,2014 | 06:23PM
hawaiikone wrote:
No, I'm saying if the bad guys suspect there's an armed, competent homeowner inside, they'll look for easier pickin's. Your house maybe?
on April 3,2014 | 08:04PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
You want property crime to go down? Just stay at home. They don't want confrontation. They see you, they go someplace else.
on April 3,2014 | 06:14PM
hawaiikone wrote:
Home invasions?
on April 3,2014 | 08:09PM
Jerry_D wrote:
And which city has the #1 murder rate? Could it be Obama's real home, CHICAGO...where firearms are totally BANNED?
on April 3,2014 | 03:35PM
2NDC wrote:
Not anymore. Illinois now has a carry provision. Sadly, they now seem more "gun friendly" than here in Hawaii. :-(
on April 3,2014 | 09:14PM
Manawai wrote:
The state can issue permits to carry that a city can refuse to recognize. I really don't know about Chicago, but with their politics, I sure don't see them allowing guns to be carried by civilians within city limits.
on April 3,2014 | 09:27PM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
Lolo. You think the law-abiding citizens who belong to the NRA are the ones doing the shooting? You think the criminals care about registering their firearms or joining the NRA? It's people like you who want to restrict MY right as a law-abiding citizen to protect myself from these parasites. So, you think that by NOT owning a firearm you are somehow "helping" keep Hawai'i's murder rate relatively low compared to the mainland? Yeah, good luck with that when one of these malcontents chooses to violate your premises with criminal intent. If you were a bad guy and went looking for your next victim, who would you choose, the unarmed resident or the guy with the 9mm? You and your anti-gun brethren are hopelessly naive. Go ahead. You make the choice to be a victim. Me? I'll be the Survivor.
on April 3,2014 | 06:57PM
9ronboz wrote:
Do the math, did gun crime increase base on registration?
on April 3,2014 | 08:13PM
SteveToo wrote:
Don't be a bo=zo....murder rates are controlled by people w/illegal guns NOT REGISTERED guns.
on April 3,2014 | 08:36PM
juscasting wrote:
I bet all those zombie and end of the world movies have something to do with it. I'm glad I still have my trusting ole sling shot from 6th grade!
on April 3,2014 | 12:28PM
false wrote:
Record numbers of firearms registration… and record low numbers of violent crime. Mmmmmmm, makes you wonder about all those lies the anti-gun nuts keep telling us.
on April 3,2014 | 01:42PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
The funny thing is that Obama and Biden have done more to expand gun ownership in America than any other factor in history. That's a simple fact. The attack on private gun ownership backfired because it scared folks into thinking guns would be outlawed. In response people started buying guns and ammo like never before. The law of unintended consequence but if you are anti-gun, recognize that Obama and Biden have sunk your battleship.
on April 3,2014 | 02:06PM
eoe wrote:
Except there was no attack on gun ownership, except in the mind of propagandists at fox.
on April 3,2014 | 02:15PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
I suppose one could debate that but even if we concede your point, it remains true that Obama's words directly resulted in more private gun purchases than anyone in US history. Not only that, but more AR-15 and semi-automatic rifles and pistols than anyone. And high capacity magazines.
on April 3,2014 | 03:47PM
hawaiikone wrote:
And the 48 democrats that voted to sign the UN agreement mandating gun confiscation? That sure sounds like an attack to me.
on April 3,2014 | 08:12PM
awahana wrote:
KA-POW!

BOOM!

BAM!

SMASH!

BOFF!
on April 3,2014 | 02:07PM
kauai wrote:
You forgot BANG!
on April 3,2014 | 03:13PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
PEW! (small kine gun)
on April 3,2014 | 03:47PM
kauai wrote:
POP! (pop-gun)
on April 3,2014 | 04:01PM
MANDA wrote:
Don't we all know that young men's undeveloped brains testosterone guns are not a good idea?
on April 3,2014 | 07:40PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
Wilhelmina Rise, et al.

Court Sense
Cold War

Political Radar
Climate change

Island Crafters
YouCanMakeThis.com

Warrior Beat
Empty pit

Political Radar
Switch

Political Radar
`Progressive hero’