Quantcast

Tuesday, July 22, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Man dies at hospital after jumping from 'Spitting Caves'


POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 12:48 p.m. HST, Apr 06, 2014


A man taken to the hospital in critical condition, following a near drowning  at the "Spitting Caves" area outside Maunalua Bay, has died.

Police said the 19-year-old man died at the hospital after he was swept out to sea by a strong current after jumping from a ledge.

Lifeguards responding to a 5 p.m. emergency call found the man about 10 to 12 feet under water.

Lifeguards jumped into the water and used a rescue watercraft to bring the man to Koko Marina.

Lifeguards performed CPR on the man until paramedics took him to the hospital.

Spitting Cave is a popular spot for cliff-jumping in the Portlock area of Hawaii Kai. When waves that roll into the cave and hit the back wall, whitewater is "spit" back out of the mouth of the cave.

A spokeswoman for the Emergency Medical Services Division said two other friends with the man did not jump into the water because of the conditions.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(15)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Grimbold wrote:
Some live, some die. Natural selection based on intelligent choices.
on April 6,2014 | 08:01AM
cojef wrote:
Bad "Karma"??
on April 6,2014 | 08:16AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
No. We all make mistakes and we were all 19 once once.
on April 6,2014 | 05:34PM
kiragirl wrote:
Brave friends. Did not jump in to help. Very brave.
on April 6,2014 | 08:22AM
copperwire9 wrote:
You'd prefer that all 3 died because 2 used judgement just as bad as the one foolish man?
on April 6,2014 | 10:22AM
kiragirl wrote:
Did I say that?
on April 6,2014 | 11:35AM
kuniagirl wrote:
Sounds like you're being critical of them not jumping in too: "Very brave." What's your point if not that they were the opposite of "very brave" by not jumping in?
on April 6,2014 | 12:11PM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
The last thing a rescue needs is two more victims.
on April 6,2014 | 05:36PM
LKK56 wrote:
Getting pass age 19 can be hard. Never be the first to jump.
on April 6,2014 | 09:26AM
soundofreason wrote:
Not when you learn the term "unnecessary risk".
on April 6,2014 | 09:56AM
Carang_da_buggahz wrote:
So goes the wise saying, "Look before you leap". Condolences to this young man's family. How tragic.
on April 6,2014 | 11:41AM
SueH wrote:
He's not the first to die there, and won't be the last. But publicity from this incident will just fan the fire of "block access to the area, put up signs, keep people out"....etc. just like Sacred Falls.
on April 6,2014 | 10:17AM
gmkhawaii wrote:
***S--H--%--T HAPPENS......sometimes good, sometimes not so good
on April 6,2014 | 04:42PM
Oio wrote:
This place on a calm day is creepy. The ledge is like a submarine deck, the ocean is not a shore-break but a heaving, surging deep blue sea. Surfed here in my younger days and it's tricky. Fishing here at night is even creepier, once you see how the waves heaves and hooves and surges in an uplifting "body of ocean". Condolences to everyone lost at sea. Lesson to instill in the living, is all it takes is a split second to die. Be cool to risks. Uncool can be deadly!!
on April 6,2014 | 09:32PM
yhls wrote:
People have been jumping at spitting caves for decades and in that time many have drowned there too. It's one of the most treacherous and scary bodies of water in Hawaii. Blue water. So the fact that his two friends didn't jump in doesn't mean they were cowards, they probably, and rightfully so, thought it was suicidal. Because it is. The survival instinct in most people would stop them at the ledge. The place is even scarier at night where people fish off the ledges. Anyone who falls in the water off that side of the island when it's rough can generally kiss his or her butt goodbye. By the time rescue personnel get to you, they'll be retrieving a body.
on April 7,2014 | 06:21AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Wassup Wit Dat!
Silver Pockets Full

Political Radar
VoteVets

Political Radar
Values

Island Crafters
Christmas in July

Political Radar
IBEW endorsement

Warrior Beat
Travel day

Small Talk
Counting coins