Quantcast

Saturday, August 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

E-cigarette suspected in fire in N.Y. hospital room

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 11:42 a.m. HST, Apr 22, 2014


SYRACUSE, N.Y. >> A New York hospital is reinforcing its ban on electronic cigarettes after a patient on oxygen was burned by a fire that erupted while she was puffing on one of the devices.

Syracuse Fire Department investigator Joe Galloway tells The Post-Standard the exact cause of last month's fire at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center has not yet been determined. But he says the patient had a battery-powered e-cigarette, which uses a heating element to vaporize nicotine.

Hospital officials have not identified the patient. They say she suffered first- and second-degree burns across her face, but is home and doing well.

Since the fire, St. Joseph's officials have reminded patients they aren't allowed to use e-cigarettes. The hospital also prohibits tobacco use on its campus.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 1 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(1)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions


IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
The Green Leaf
Solar vigil

Political Radar
1,782

Island Crafters
Ya Meet the Nicest Peeps

Small Talk
Clothing swap?

Political Radar
Proceeding

The Green Leaf
Expanding a monument

Wassup Wit Dat!
Huh? – Follow Up

Political Radar
Spirit of Daniel Inouye