Quantcast

Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 22 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Council committee resurrects bus ad bill

By Star-Advertiser Staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 12:11 p.m. HST, Apr 23, 2014


A controversial bill to allow advertising on the outside of city buses was resurrected by the City Council's Budget Committee Wednesday.

Bill 69 advanced out of the committee at the behest of Mayor Kirk Caldwell, who projects the plan would bring in up to $8 million annually to the cash-strapped city, and despite the strong objections of the Outdoor Circle of Hawaii.

The bill is far from final passage, however. Council Chairman Ernie Martin and Councilman Joey Manahan said they don't like the idea of creating precedent by allowing ads on the sides of buses. Two more votes of the full Council are needed before the plan can go to Caldwell's desk for his signature.

Marti Townsend, Outdoor Circle executive director, said allowing bus ads was a slippery slope, and would make it easier for other "mobile" ads to be placed on the sides of commercial vehicles.

But Council members who supported the bill said there's a need to at least consider seriously a plan to add revenues for bus service that does not require raising taxes or bus fares.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 22 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(22)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
mcc wrote:
Caldwell creates the ugliness of Honolulu! First the train and high rises towering over what is presently law, and now, billboards on the busses.
on April 23,2014 | 11:38AM
headcheese wrote:
Will the income be sufficient to cover the raises. Will we have to hire more people to be arbiters of good taste for ads? Where is the Outdoor Circle when we need them?
on April 23,2014 | 11:54AM
ellinaskyrt wrote:
If you have to ask where the Outdoor Circle is in this issue, then you didn't really read the article.
on April 23,2014 | 12:54PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Harimoto said it best at the hearing; "I don't want this to become a west side versus east side issue". Well taken Breene but that's exactly what it has become.
on April 23,2014 | 02:19PM
loquaciousone wrote:
How about ads on the rail?
on April 23,2014 | 12:19PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Did anyone vote "with reservations"? Because my day is not complete unless we have a politician voting "with reservations".
on April 23,2014 | 12:21PM
GordonYKPang wrote:
Councilman Joey Manahan voted with reservations. Officially, the vote was 5-0.
on April 23,2014 | 06:25PM
islandsun wrote:
Here we go again. It's bad enough we get jacked by these politicians and now we he to se these prostitutes and their ads on all those buses.
on April 23,2014 | 12:24PM
mr808surfguy wrote:
Good for them, I am sick and tired on these small minded people who think this is 1950 and we have a view from one side of the island to the otherside. We can modern things and still take care of the environment. So Outdoor Circle shut up and go away!!!!!!
on April 23,2014 | 12:29PM
Pukele wrote:
This is a good time for the council to ask the city about financing for rail - which the city has failed to explain. How will the city pay for the annual operating expense for rail? The additional operating expense for rail will trigger an increase in the bus fare. When will they discuss this increase and how much do they plan to ask for? When the city gets its final bids on the 50% of the rail project from Aloha Stadium to Ala Moana Center, what is the plan if the bids come in too high? Finally, the city should prepare a report on how they are spending the rail GET tax. The council should ask to see the report going back to 2007. Then, they can discuss ads on buses.
on April 23,2014 | 12:32PM
AniMatsuri wrote:
Only in Hawai'i is this considered "controversial". I suspect most if not all who oppose this have no problems with fares going up yet again to pay for bus expenses since never ride the bus to begin with. Or if taxes go up then they are probably well off enough to pay for the increases.
on April 23,2014 | 12:34PM
PMINZ wrote:
Can you say - Distracted Driving ?
on April 23,2014 | 12:40PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
The interesting thing that came out of the hearing is that those very unpopular bus route cuts that Carlisle instituted and Caldwell promised to restore? Well it appears that a lot of the route cuts have never been restored notwithstanding promises to do so. At today's hearing the City guys talked about "transportation equity", that being the guys on the west side are still waiting for their route cuts to be restored so they need this bill to raise the cash. My takeaway from today's hearing, Carlisle may have been right, he had to cut those routes because there simply wasn't enough money and in the two years since the cuts, they have yet to be restored.
on April 23,2014 | 01:49PM
Pukele wrote:
Now is a god time to ask the city about the 20 plus bus routes that will be eliminated because of rail.
on April 23,2014 | 02:02PM
MariaBetty wrote:
Kill rail would be a sound financial plan.
on April 23,2014 | 02:07PM
LehuaRosa wrote:
If you are against this bill go stand on any corner in Honolulu and tell me you don't see "rolling billboards" all over the place. The signs Caldwell are proposing won't even be noticed amongst the giant produce and liquor bottles rolling down the road on the sides of huge trucks. Why can't the City do what everyone else is allowed to do? Normally I'm right behind Outdoor Circle, but this seems a bit hypocritical. Why weren't you guys already campaigning against this? Or is it only City buses that you have a problem with?
on April 23,2014 | 02:54PM
topcat wrote:
whats the difference since all sorts of advertisement already exists on company trucks such as cocacola, mcdonalds, salvationarmy etc. give me a good reason why it can't be on THE BUS
on April 23,2014 | 02:56PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Because we, the Star Ad commentariat, are against everything. Sunshine, oxygen, babies... we are against them all. Buildings, open space, outer space....hate them too. We exist to dislike things. It's our job and we are dam good at it.
on April 23,2014 | 03:47PM
LehuaRosa wrote:
LOL!
on April 24,2014 | 07:25AM
iwanaknow wrote:
After all is said and done, the City will no way get 8 million dollars........let the slippery slope begin!
on April 23,2014 | 03:04PM
loquaciousone wrote:
I think it's a good idea. We can put the names, phone numbers and emails of all our elected officials right next to Ronald McDonald holding a banana.
on April 23,2014 | 03:14PM
gmkhawaii wrote:
BRING ON "THE BUS" ADS!!!!!!!!!!! I LOOOOVE IT!!!!!!!.......THE OUTHOUSE CIRCLE CAN SHOVEL IT !!!!!!
on April 23,2014 | 05:20PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News