Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 18 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Stowaway's mom says son just learned she was alive

By Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 02:42 p.m. HST, Apr 25, 2014

SAN JOSE, Calif. » The mother of a California teenager who stowed away on a flight to Hawaii told Voice of America that her son had recently learned that she was alive after being told by his father she had died.

Speaking with VOA from a refugee camp in eastern Ethiopia, mother Ubah Mohamed Abdullahi said she felt bad that her son risked his life and that her dream is to live with her children in the United States.

"''I cried, felt badly and many people in the refugee camp came to me to give me support," she said.

FBI agents say surveillance video shows the 15-year-old jumping out of the wheel well of a Hawaiian Airlines jet on a Maui tarmac Sunday after surviving a cross-Pacific flight from San Jose, California. He told authorities he had argued with his father before leaving his house.

The 5 1/2 -hour flight over the Pacific would have exposed him to sub-zero temperatures and very low temperatures, likely knocking him out for the duration. He has been hospitalized ever since.

The boy's parents are divorced, and he lives with his father, Abdilahi Yusuf Abdi, a cab driver in Santa Clara, California.

Abdullahi said her ex-husband took their three children to California without her knowledge, and that she hadn't heard from them since 2006.

"I know he was looking for me, and I am requesting the U.S. government to help me reunite with my kids," she told VOA.

COMMENTS

IAmSane wrote:
My god, SA is milking this story to death. Move on already.
on April 25,2014 | 09:19AM
ellinaskyrt wrote:

“Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:

I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

Emma Lazarus' poem was something all Americans used to agree upon with pride. One merely need peruse the prejudiced & isolationist comments in the SA as roof that we've done a 180 degree turn.

Too many of us enjoy fooling ourselves into thinking we're better than the newest to our shores. You'd think the the prejudice leveled at our forefathers like the Chinese Exclusion Act, the National Origins Formula, and of course, the internment camps for the Japanese during WWII would cause us to have more aloha in our hearts for newcomers (especially those whose home countries were destroyed by American military nuclear experiments), but apparently not.

on April 25,2014 | 12:09PM
IAmSane wrote:
Comments in SA isn't a proof of much of anything. There's like 20 commenters here in a state with a population of 1,400,000 , so don't take anyone's comments seriously--including this one.
on April 25,2014 | 01:38PM
Skyler wrote:
You don't have to click on the article if you don't like it.
on April 25,2014 | 12:52PM
IAmSane wrote:
I'm not saying that I don't like it. SA's been posting articles everyday since the incident. Now they're posting articles on the boy's personal life as if that has any relevance to the stowaway incident... they're just milking this for all its worth.
on April 25,2014 | 01:41PM
copperwire9 wrote:
You may *think* you're sane. You don't think this boy's personal life had any bearing on the choices he has made?
on April 25,2014 | 02:02PM
IAmSane wrote:
What, news reporters are also psychologists now? Oh okay then, continue to bring on the super-interesting news stories on the boy's father and mother.
on April 25,2014 | 02:38PM
loio wrote:
maybe the whole family can go back to Somalia. or Micronesia. who the HECK are we letting into our country, and why so many of them. and who do we allow? it's out of control.
on April 25,2014 | 09:48AM
Hauolie wrote:
At one point in all of our family's history this country has allowed some of our ancestors in which would make you think that what you say is kind of a double standard, unless you are 100% Native Hawaiian, which is rare now days...........
on April 25,2014 | 10:08AM
8082062424 wrote:
Thing is my ancestors came here and work hard to make something of there lives. they did not come here and get a free ride. a lot of my ancestors even served this country in war and they were not even american citizens . those that came came here and broke there back to provide for there family. they did not stand in line for hand outs
on April 25,2014 | 11:03AM
eoe wrote:
Hey mo ron, is someone freeloading in this story? Or just up on your little racist soapbox?
on April 25,2014 | 01:02PM
likewise wrote:
Or maybe your family story is more racist then his/hers. Some People come here for opportunity. Not a hand out. If you couldn't make a go of your opportunity, maybe you should go where your hand out is less analized. Good luck with that.
on April 25,2014 | 07:05PM
kailua000 wrote:
Didn't Native Hawaiians come from someplace else, crossing the oceans, guided by the starts and found Hawaii?
on April 25,2014 | 06:25PM
Skyler wrote:
I've heard guiding starts can be tricky.
on April 25,2014 | 11:22PM
8082062424 wrote:
I can just see his mom getting a free pass to come here. even though his father seem to be a bit shaddy
on April 25,2014 | 11:04AM
eoe wrote:
Deport racists.
on April 25,2014 | 01:02PM
kailua000 wrote:
Maybe her own government should help them re-unite. Lets just use our taxpayer money for this. why not.
on April 25,2014 | 06:24PM
Arwen wrote:
I feel sorry for the boy in a bad family situation and his mother who is so far away. However I also don't like the idea of all these people (refugees and the like) coming into the US and going on welfare/homeless and/or committing crimes to make ends meet or support a life style that is an "American" dream. Remember now that it is us "taxpayers" who are footing the bills (medical; food; lodging; job training, etc) for these types of people who want to come over on a "hardship" status. And yet the US can't even help its own "borned and raised" in the US; American citizens and military vets who are falling behind economically (both parents work full-time and at other various jobs part-time) to raise their own families and sacraficing for their children to attend school and have a better life. With the big hype from Congress about the federal deficit and continuing budget cutbacks on programs that help the elderly, disabled, vets, and others less forturnate along with high unemployment rates, I would think that we wouldn't continue to keep our doors open and accept the refugees when our country is having its own difficulty on its home front. Hey, let some other countries step up and accept the hardship people who want refugee status etc. And if you don't realize it but with the boy here in Hawaii staying at the hospital (I think he is at Kapiolani), this kid is staying for free (mini-vacation) and he is going on 2 weeks already. Who will pay for this??? Hawaii taxpayers of course!! Who will pay for the boy's return flight or the dad coming here to get him?? Taxpayers again!! It is still undecided on who will be paying for all this....the hospital stay, airfare, possible lodging for the dad and boy when he is released from the hospital, food, private ground transportation to/from, clothes for the boy...the list can go on and on. Something for everyone to think about BEFORE we FORGET that these people might not even be paying any US taxes!!! Non-documented aliens with no papers are paid with cash doing jobs so they won't be paying any taxes soon! The more I read about this and related stories about the boy's plight and his family, the more I get upset. Yes, SA should move on already and perhaps SA should foot the bills for the boy's (and dad's) cost during their stay in Hawaii:)) Wow, lucky dad...he probably couldn't afford a trip to Paradise!! Heck, I have to scrimp and save for a family trip to California by checking for good deals at hotels and airfare which will take me almost 2 years for this one trip as a graduation present for my son!
on April 28,2014 | 01:09PM