Friday, July 25, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 67 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Kaleikini pleads not guilty to drunk driving charge

By Rosemarie Bernardo

LAST UPDATED: 11:41 a.m. HST, May 05, 2014

Entertainer Danny Kaleikini pleaded not guilty Monday morning to drunk driving, but his attorney said he will not fight the charge.

Attorney Paul Cunney appeared in Honolulu District Court on behalf of Kaleikini, 76.

Cunney said he will seek a plea agreement with the prosecutor's office.

"We're not going to fight the case. He's taking responsibility," Cunney said.

At about 11:45 p.m. on Apr. 4, police arrested Kaleikini for driving under the influence of an intoxicant. Police pulled him over near the intersection of Kilauea Avenue and Pahoa Avenue in Kahala.

Kaleikini's blood-alcohol level was .087, Cunney said. In combination with his heart medication, Cunney added, "I think it probably just threw him off a little bit."

His driver's license has been revoked for a year starting Monday.

More From The Star-Advertiser

Kaleikini pleads not guilty to DUI

COMMENTS

Masami wrote:
"AROHAAAAAAAAAA! KANE..............KANE...................KANEOHE. Where am I?"
on May 5,2014 | 09:09AM
those that have money and connections - will get away - he did go to Punahou
on May 5,2014 | 11:42AM
Larry01 wrote:
Get away with what? He's not fighting the charges!
on May 5,2014 | 12:49PM
Alex57 wrote:
If he went to Punahou, what class was he in? and what does that have to do with anything?
on May 5,2014 | 01:30PM
BO0o07 wrote:
Roosevelt Class of 55' (?)
on May 5,2014 | 01:46PM
kewalosurfer wrote:
Yes, he was a Rough Rider (from the English Standard days).
on May 5,2014 | 06:53PM
sak wrote:
"In Harmony with Nature" HIC! BUSTED!
on May 5,2014 | 01:50PM
ehbrah wrote:
I believe he was 0.01 above the limit of 0.08, which he may be within the margin for errors, improper test, equipment malfunction, etc. Keep in mind that a few years ago or maybe sooner, the limit was 0.10. Go Danny, book 'em. Also, a suggestion when taking a mug shot....SMILE, and not look like a criminal. Been there and done that successfully.
on May 5,2014 | 09:18AM
ehbrah wrote:
I believe it was Michelle Rodrigues who had a difficult time obeying the law, and who did much better after being fired, e.g. Avatar and other popular movies
on May 5,2014 | 10:18AM
buttery wrote:
Mr. K made a mistake, to smile would be a bigger mistake.
on May 5,2014 | 11:27AM
honopic wrote:
Agree. It would make him look like he didn't take the arrest seriously. I hope they take a deferred acceptance of guilty plea so he can get his license back, and prove that he learned from his mistake. He has spread so much aloha over the years that he deserves a second chance, since nobody was hurt and there was no damage. That's no more or less than any citizen, entertainer or not, should be given.
on May 5,2014 | 12:18PM
Poipounder808 wrote:
Not very good with math huh?
on May 5,2014 | 01:27PM
false wrote:
More plausible would be that the ticketing officer determined he was drunk but gave him an alcoholic reading just above the minimum since he was well known.
on May 5,2014 | 03:38PM
environmental_lady wrote:
Whatever happens, it sounds like a slap on the wrist. I remember that the two Lost actresses were fired after their drunk driving arrests and as a result had to be "killed off," in the script.
on May 5,2014 | 09:22AM
ehbrah wrote:
on May 5,2014 | 10:19AM
kaiakea wrote:
Is that what you call ****-faced?
on May 5,2014 | 09:30AM
false wrote:
We'll respect you more if you just take it like a man. No high priced lawyer or plea bargain.
on May 5,2014 | 09:54AM
Manawai wrote:
"I neva do noting!"
on May 5,2014 | 09:59AM
st1d wrote:
priceless: the unfortunate look of feckless entitlement that is flummoxed when his privilege as ambassador of aloha is not recognized by arresting officer.
on May 5,2014 | 10:14AM
boshio wrote:
This is comical. Is he guilty or not. Doesn't matter, he will not contest the arrest, instead will do a plea agreement? Is this a total waste of time and money, only his attorney wins.
on May 5,2014 | 10:23AM
salsacoquibx wrote:
Alohaaaa! lol
on May 5,2014 | 10:33AM
hanalei395 wrote:
Aloooooooha! (hic)
on May 5,2014 | 10:43AM
HealthyandHappy wrote:
I love you Danny!!!!!
on May 5,2014 | 10:40AM
saywhatyouthink wrote:
He probably shouldn't be driving anyway at his age.
on May 5,2014 | 10:41AM
honopic wrote:
What? That's ridiculous age-prejudice.Think about what you said when you get older and someone else suggests your license gets taken away just because of your age. I know people in their 80's I would gladly ride with, and others in their 20's I wouldn't let take me around the block!
on May 5,2014 | 12:25PM
inHilo wrote:
Glad you said this!
on May 5,2014 | 12:46PM
FrankieT wrote:
saywhatyouthink; open mouth insert foot. I suppose you are a special driver, someday you will be 76, I hope someone tells you, you shouldn't be driving
on May 5,2014 | 04:17PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
say, you're a dum mass for saying that. Are you SA's new troll, now that All lie graduated and moved back to ND?
on May 5,2014 | 06:24PM
Skyler wrote:
I don't think 'allie' hasn't gone anywhere.
on May 5,2014 | 10:33PM
kiragirl wrote:
If he had only ONE glass of wine, he should have passed the breath test. All the more so because time elapsed before the test is administered. Something does not add up. I think he had more than ONE glass of wine.
on May 5,2014 | 10:57AM
SueH wrote:
All drunks only ever have "one glass of wine" or "just two beers". Yeah, sure, sure.....you betchya.
on May 5,2014 | 10:16PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Meh, no big deal. Who you going hit at the intersection of Kilauea Avenue and Pahoa Avenue in Kahala? Nobody walks there at night.
on May 5,2014 | 11:08AM
scooters wrote:
Special treatment? Just Man up Danny Boy!
on May 5,2014 | 11:10AM
iwanaknow wrote:
Sad, sad, sad...........................is there is a lesson in there somewhere?
on May 5,2014 | 11:13AM
2NDC wrote:
What happen to the BS he spoke about on the news when he was interviewed the morning after his arrest? He basically admitted guilt in the interview and stated that he would take responsibility for his actions. I'm all for holding a man "innocent until proven guilty", however, when someone runs his mouth in public and on television, then doesn't do what he stated, I question the man's integrity. He should have shut his mouth, stated "no comment" then hired an attorney. After speaking with an attorney and getting his facts straight, only then should he have made any statements about the case (if at all). Absent his statement to the media, he may have had a chance of prevailing in court. However, being the "lolo" and making statements on television, he pretty much sealed his fate. He should hook up with Frank Delima. He's gonna need transportation for the next year or so. "Four Too Too, Tutu Tutu". :-(
on May 5,2014 | 11:14AM
livinginhawaii wrote:
Wow .007 above? Thats like less than four sips of beer for the average body weight. Seems like this would be very difficult to accurately measure...
on May 5,2014 | 11:27AM
Tahitigirl55 wrote:
His heart medication had something to do with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do love this man, I use to dance hula at his shows at the Kahala. I believe you do the crime you do the time. Like everyone else we all bleed the same color blood. Whats good for one is good for all..,
on May 5,2014 | 11:55AM
skawa808 wrote:
Drunk is drunk. Double standards for celebrities, that sucks.
on May 5,2014 | 12:02PM
samidunn wrote:
Danny - Danny - Danny - Danny - Meet me for breakfast at LikeLike Friday morning (not too early though).
on May 5,2014 | 12:06PM
jyorck wrote:
no Mr. Aloha there, just looks like one pissed off Hawaiian!
on May 5,2014 | 12:10PM
Bumby wrote:
Isn't it amazing how the media can have the right pictures to fit their story. Why not put in one of his beautiful promotional pictures selling the islands and its aloha.
on May 5,2014 | 09:13PM
Wahiawamauka wrote:
Plea agreement in a DUI? I hope everyone else who gets arrested for DUI tries that. LOL. See how far that will get the common man out there.
on May 5,2014 | 01:18PM
amu wrote:
LEAVE HIM ALONE YOU NEWS REPORTERS GO FIND BETTER THINGS TO DO. IF IT WAS YOU OF ME NO NEWS I DONT KNOW DANNY BUT WHEN I SEE HIM AND SAY HI HE ALWAYS SAY ALOHA
on May 5,2014 | 02:34PM
Bdpapa wrote:
Yes, He is a class act. Every time I've met him he was just so genuine. A really good guy.
on May 5,2014 | 08:45PM
kuewa wrote:
My guess is that many of those commenting on this story do not remember the days when Danny Kaleikini ruled the roost in local entertainment, along with Don Ho, Alfred Apaka and others. And I am guessing that at least a few in this blog have driven a car with alcohol levels at or just above the legal limit. Very sad to see him in this situation.
on May 5,2014 | 03:14PM
st1d wrote:
we remember him. it still does not give him the preference to drive under the influence of alcohol. it is sad to see him in this situation, but at least there is no death, injury or accident involved.

if one cannot learn vicariously, one must learn first hand.

on May 5,2014 | 03:43PM
kuewa wrote:
Yes, he did wrong, but many of the comments on here are completely disrespectful and, I am guessing, a bit hypocritical. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone....
on May 5,2014 | 03:52PM
st1d wrote:
or you can read about solomon singer and his attempt to curb driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs on the big island.

the story, coincidentally, is in this edition of the star ad.

on May 5,2014 | 04:45PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
kuewa, this blog is filled with disrespectful bullies who love to point fingers and judge others. Invisible and invincible, in their eyes. Danny is human, likes to drink and got arrested DUI. I still love the guy. Let the punishment fit the crime.
on May 5,2014 | 06:28PM
csdhawaii wrote:
Well, that mugshot does him no good. He looks really mean there.
on May 5,2014 | 03:35PM
Bdpapa wrote:
He was not happy. If you got arrested would you be happy?
on May 5,2014 | 08:46PM
csdhawaii wrote:
I follow the law so doubtful if I'd ever get arrested. And if I did, I do believe I'd at least be able to summon a neutral expression that doesn't make me look 110% like a guilty criminal. I mean, look at Mel Gibson's, Shia Labouf's and our own Bruno Mars' mugshots, they're all smiling! ;)
on May 6,2014 | 11:09AM
lokela wrote:
There is no aloha in that picture. He's had better days.
on May 5,2014 | 03:40PM
Skyler wrote:
Love to see your mug after getting busted... lol.
on May 5,2014 | 10:35PM
hybrid_mustang wrote:
Better than a negligent homicide charge...you learn the same at 80 as 21...
on May 5,2014 | 03:50PM
headcheese wrote:
I have many fond memories of Danny at the Kahala Hilton and I feel for him in this predicament. I would be grateful to see him use his celebrity to help us change our culture of drinking and then driving. It is an unnecessary risk. Imagine yourself, waking up in the morning and remembering that you had killed someone the night before? Take a cab. Leave your car and get it in the morning. There is no real reason to drive a car after drinking.
on May 5,2014 | 04:15PM
kuewa wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with you . mahalo for that !
on May 5,2014 | 04:24PM
RandolphW wrote:
Perhaps Keith Kaneshiro can lend Danny a hand on this one. In fact, he probably has done exactly that.
on May 5,2014 | 04:22PM
gobows wrote:
Danny has an excellent opportunity to take his celebrity status and make something good out of this bad thing he's done. Lets see before we cast judgment.
on May 5,2014 | 04:35PM
dlg808 wrote:
Alooooha ambassador of booze...is that a selfie?
on May 5,2014 | 05:01PM
uniden wrote:
This was Danny's first offense but I'm sure it was not the first time he had one too many. He just got caught! Many more on the road like him.
on May 5,2014 | 06:15PM
mrluke wrote:
A lot of holier-than-thou comments on this page.
on May 5,2014 | 06:25PM
Bdpapa wrote:
Yes, lack of knowing him and pre judgement runs rampant here.
on May 5,2014 | 08:47PM
gmejk wrote:
Glad he's being a good example and taking responsibility for his actions. Good one Danny.
on May 5,2014 | 06:51PM
bubbaButt wrote:
Kaniala... Danny Alcoholic! Hahaha!
on May 5,2014 | 08:54PM
WalkoffBalk wrote:
Quick, erase the tape where he admitted he did it on the KHON news.
on May 5,2014 | 10:16PM
Skyler wrote:
He admitted his mistake - he'll get his due. Lots of 'big-body' internet bullies poking the man when he's down... karma's gonna get 'cha, too.
on May 5,2014 | 10:38PM