Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 13 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Roommates buy $20 used couch, find $40K in cash

By Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 04:33 a.m. HST, May 15, 2014

NEW PALTZ, N.Y. >> Three roommates who bought a used couch for $20 found $40,000 in cash stashed inside and returned the money to the 91-year-old upstate New York widow who had hidden it there.

WABC-TV in New York City reports that a State University of New York at New Paltz student and his two roommates found the money stuffed in envelopes hidden in the couch they bought from the Salvation Army in early March.

Third-year New Paltz student Reese Werkhoven of New York City says he found the first batch of cash. They searched the couch and found other envelopes stuffed with money.

One envelope had a woman's name on it. After debating what to do, the roommates contacted the woman and delivered the money to her the next day.

COMMENTS

USCdad wrote:
As a parent, it would make me so proud if my own children made a decision like this. Well done.
on May 15,2014 | 06:17AM
lokela wrote:
What goes around comes around. Good things are in store for these guys.
on May 15,2014 | 06:28AM
joeglick wrote:
Quite the financial success story.
on May 15,2014 | 06:59AM
Masami wrote:
There IS HOPE for the human race.
on May 15,2014 | 06:59AM
WKAMA wrote:
Great story!
on May 15,2014 | 07:16AM
Must be nice to stash 40 grand somewhere and just forget all about it. If I had stashed it I definitely would remember where it was. I wish I had 40 grand to stash in the first place. Those boy's who found the loot are great kid's we need more of them in our society nowaday
on May 15,2014 | 07:16AM
AhiPoke wrote:
At 91 I think I'd be forgetting things to. In fact I'm not even close to 91 and I'm already forgetting a lot of things. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find the $40 I hid.
on May 15,2014 | 08:32AM
Alzheimer is a disease that causes this kind of situations. Know from personal experience that things have a way of getting lost or undone, thinking it was okay one minute and then not.
on May 15,2014 | 10:50AM
st1d wrote:
probably not much of a "debate". with such a quick decision to return the money, the "debate" must have been more of a fantasy brainstorming all the while knowing that they were going to return the money.

great job, guys.

on May 15,2014 | 08:40AM
KaneoheSJ wrote:
Great story. Yes, there is hope for our society.
on May 15,2014 | 10:35AM
awahana wrote:
Odds would be slim for this to happen in Hawaii nei.
I leave my slippahs and wallet on my beach towel to go for a swim and I didn't misplace or lose them, but when I get back, its gone! Auwe for the aloha state.
on May 15,2014 | 10:57AM
XML808 wrote:
What a great example these men set for all. I wish them the best in all their endeavors!
on May 15,2014 | 11:57AM
jankenpo wrote:
Good thing the three ladies from the credit union didn't get their hands on this one.
on May 15,2014 | 12:52PM