Quantcast

Tuesday, July 22, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 12 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

$5K reward offered in Kauai cat killings

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 03:34 p.m. HST, May 16, 2014



LIHUE » The Kauai Humane Society and the Humane Society of the United States are offering a reward in response to reports of cat killings across the island.

The Garden Island reported Friday the $5,000 reward is for information leading to an arrest.

Kauai Community Cat Project Managing Director Robyn Botkin says they have received calls from people reporting late-night cat shootings.

However, Kauai police say they aren't aware of any alleged crimes.

Kauai Humane Society Director Penny Cistaro says they are seeking solid information because they have nothing concrete to go on.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 12 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(12)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
glenn57377 wrote:
Not saying they should be shot - but I was so sick and tired of cat pee and poop deposited in my yard at night due to people letting their house-cats out and feral cats making their rounds. There is no smell so vile as cat pee and poop. Cats were walking on my white plastic fence and placing hard to remove volcanic paw prints. Hard to remove. So, I hate free cats........especially the ones the neighbors put outside at night ON PURPOSE. I have two house dogs, so we are safe from the critters during the day. However, at night, the cats arrive. I discovered that wiping a sponge wet with white vinegar will repel the cats. It has worked for me very well. Other than that, yes, I have learned to dislike cats, for their and their owners senseless way of caring for the animals.
on May 16,2014 | 09:57AM
SueH wrote:
If you are so sure of your accusations, and positive the cats involved belong to your neighbors, why don't you take pictures and confront your neighbors with them instead of ranting and raving on here? Insist that your neighbors take responsibility for their pets rather than letting their irresponsibility ruin your day.
on May 16,2014 | 10:17AM
jusjoking wrote:
Yeah good idea Sue play Magnum, loose sleep stalking cats all night. It's your problem, ruin your nights too.
on May 16,2014 | 11:39AM
atilter wrote:
very effective ploy, i'm sure! "neighborly-ness" only goes as far as the statutes which have teeth will establish and enforce. in the case of owned pets, all penalty/retrieval costs should be placed on the owner, not the victim. picture costs, confrontations with neighbors, ...... nah!! OR - victims who can might collect the offensive excretions and deposit them indescreetly and ceremoniously in to the yard/home of the local "feeders".
on May 16,2014 | 12:06PM
ryan02 wrote:
I, too, think shooting them is cruel. But the State and County has got to get serious about eradicating feral cats and pigs. As for feral cats, the only option citizens have right now is to trap them and have the humane society euthanize them. But the State and County have to get involved too - after all, the real victims of feral cats and pigs are native and endangered animals, and the watersheds (pigs).
on May 16,2014 | 10:37AM
st1d wrote:
so far, according to the article no evidence of cat killings has turned up and the police have no reports of cats killed by shootings. yet, a reward is offered??
on May 16,2014 | 10:48AM
cojef wrote:
If what you say is true, then it appears that it could be for fund raising possibilities.
on May 16,2014 | 11:30AM
Kai37 wrote:
On a related note, I find cat owners who let their cats roam freely outside very irresponsible. Their cats go to other people's houses and tear open trash bags, climb/scratch on cars, pee on personal property etc. Property owners have the right to protect their property, so I hope the cat owners have their cats microchipped (which many don't) because I plan to catch them and drop them off at the Humane Society.
on May 16,2014 | 11:10AM
loquaciousone wrote:
The butler did it.
on May 16,2014 | 11:22AM
Rapanui00 wrote:
All feral cats should be put down now humanely - they are killing our precious native bird species and threaten the health of humans with Taxo etc.
on May 16,2014 | 12:50PM
Hawaii5OhOh wrote:
The most effective way to deal with a neighbor's cat that is messing your property is to trap it and give it a bath. Searching for the best cat trap, I ordered mine online from Tomahawk Live Trap, Model # 608SS, a raccoon/cat trap for about $90. This is about the strongest and easiest trap to use, but the shipping comes in at about $65, for a total cost of $155. After you trap the cat on your property (probably where the cat messes) fill a bucket (about 3 gallons) with warm water and put generous amounts of Strawberry smelling hair shampoo, and mix it in the water. I use to have a female cat that lived almost 20 years, and after I gave her the monthly bath with the flea shampoo, I would give her the Strawberry shampoo to make her smelling nice and fruity. Anyway, bring the trapped cat to a place where no one can see what you are doing and pour the warm shampoo mix on the cat very slowly. The cat will go absolutely crazy, trying to tear the cage open. Keep pouring the mixture on his head and face and the rest of his body, and then, leave the cat alone for a few minutes to let the shampoo soak in. After this, rinse the soapy cat with a water hose for several minutes. The cat at this point is going to go even more berserk, trying in vain to break out of the trap. Keep hosing the cat down until you finally break the cat's spirit. You will know this when you see the cat deflate totally like a balloon, and as you rinse him/her, the cat will put its face to the cage to have you rinse the shampoo from its eyes. When the cat's spirit is broken and the cat is completely rinsed with water, you can set him free and he will never come back on your property again. I know, because I have done this to several cats (with tons of fleas) that messed my yard, and they never stepped in my yard again. However, whenever they see me, they run like I am Godzilla! Try it; it works. If it doesn't work, then, just trap the cat again, and let it go about a mile away. It will return home in about 3 to 4 weeks time, but the experience of being homeless and hungry will make the cat remember to not step on your property again. It really works!
on May 16,2014 | 08:18PM
st1d wrote:
i can see where you got the oh oh in your name.

anyway, the evening news included more information. dead cats are showing up at colonies fed by cat lovers.

seems native environmentalists concerned about the depletion of native forest and sea birds are culling invasive species that attack and feed on the native birds.

the reward being offered seems understandable with the added information.


on May 16,2014 | 11:18PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs