Quantcast

Thursday, July 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Marino withdrawing from concussion suit against NFL

By Steven Wine

AP Sports Writer

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:56 p.m. HST, Jun 03, 2014


MIAMI >> Dan Marino says he inadvertently became a plaintiff in a concussion lawsuit against the NFL and is withdrawing immediately.

The Hall of Fame quarterback said he doesn't suffer any effects from head injuries.

"Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf, just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma," Marino said in a statement Tuesday. "I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff. ... I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit, and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff."

Marino's withdrawal costs the litigants a high-profile plaintiff. He was by far the best-known of 15 former players who filed a lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia last week.

They joined more than 4,800 others who allege the NFL misled players about the long-term dangers of concussions. The league has denied those allegations.

"I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries," Marino, 52, said in his statement.

The NFL and the original group of players agreed on a $765 million settlement last August, but that deal was rejected by a federal judge in January.

Marino spent his entire 17-year career with the Miami Dolphins and retired as the most prolific passer in NFL history.

He worked as an analyst for CBS from 2002 to 2013 but wasn't retained for this season. He has had recent discussions with the Dolphins about a role in their front office, and a lawsuit might have complicated such a hiring.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(3)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
mcc wrote:
He was bought.
on June 3,2014 | 04:40PM
awahana wrote:
That was quick.
Just hours after his initial announcement.
Hmm...
on June 3,2014 | 05:34PM
KWAY wrote:
Dan Marino is a DOG. He impregnated another women while his beautiful wife was busting her okole at home raising 4 young kids (two of whom were adopted from China). Its been reported that now that he's been fired by CBS, rebuffed by the Miami Dolphins front office, and has no other offers, his finances are spiraling downward and was looking for a free lunch in the form of this lawsuit. Someone must've pulled him aside and told him to save what little public reputation he has left. For his adultery alone he deserves whatever he gets (just not NFL money).
on June 3,2014 | 06:01PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News