Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 24, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Pedestrian dies after being struck at Kapahulu and Herbert

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 04:27 p.m. HST, Apr 05, 2013


A male pedestrian in his 80s died this afternoon after being taken in extremely critical condition to a trauma center after he was struck by an automobile.

VIDEO:

>> Interview with Honolulu Police Lt. Robert Towne

The accident occurred at 12:30 p.m. at Kapahulu Avenue and Herbert Street, Emergency Medical Services said.

The Honolulu Police Department shut down Kapahulu Avenue mauka-bound at Herbert, which is between Rainbow Drive In and Campbell Avenue, to allow traffic investigators to survey the scene. The road was reopened before 3 p.m.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 23 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(23)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
false wrote:
These accidents almost always involve a senior, a senior in their 70s or 80s. What are their loved ones doing to create an atmosphere of pride and joy to help our seniors live out their lives in dignity? Many of course are living in planned communities, however some fall through the safety net and if anything needs to change, it is at the grass roots level, where the younger take care of their elder.
on April 5,2013 | 01:21PM
Sunny wrote:
What's your point?
on April 5,2013 | 01:47PM
false wrote:
It is in the body of my writing. Read and u shall be enlightened.
on April 5,2013 | 01:50PM
false wrote:
i gotta either talk in complete Pidgin, or i got to talk snotty, to those who go to Punahou. That is the point.
on April 5,2013 | 01:51PM
environmental_lady wrote:
Why do you call yourself false? People will think that whatever you write is false. How can you engender credibility with your pseudonym?
on April 5,2013 | 02:22PM
false wrote:
They did it to me because i decided to fight City Hall.
on April 5,2013 | 02:55PM
tiki886 wrote:
I think it is in reference to his teeth?
on April 5,2013 | 03:57PM
false wrote:
Not true. There is more than one person involuntarily assigned "false" by the SA. Evidently some of our posts did not agree with whoever is in charge as my original screen name was changed to "false". Complaining to SA does no good. You figure.
on April 5,2013 | 04:26PM
XML808 wrote:
What does Punahou have to do with anything?
on April 5,2013 | 04:50PM
opalaedo wrote:
Sometimes seniors don't want anyone's help, believing they are independent and strong enough to do things on their own. They shrug off any help offered to them, seeing it as a sign of weakness or loss of independence.
on April 5,2013 | 02:54PM
false wrote:
Well herein lies the component of weakness in the Senior. What me? I cannot get around? I know a person who was one of my dad's greatest buddies and he is still living, about 85 years old, a World War II veteran. His wife tells me recently had a Heart Attack and needed a pacemaker, yet he believes he can get around in his 1990s Buick. I tell her, hey u better get a reasonable leash on him. before his ego knocks over a bunch of school children walking innocently on a sidewalk. Besides that, they have three grown children, who can and would I say, need to check up on their parents. Then again, if the senior gets run over by a vehicle, then who is to say that maybe it was the senior's fault for not wanting to be keenly taken care of. Deepest Condolences to the immediate family. I hope Sunny got enough of my words also. I know he wanted much more.
on April 5,2013 | 03:02PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
This, from the "More from the Star Advertiser" section found here on THIS page: Honolulu man, 25, critically hurt on Kapahulu Avenue after being struck by rental car....So, how did this kid's family fail him? The danger here isn't in families failing to provide care for their elders, it's in crossing a major roadway like Kapahulu in a non-signaled crosswalk. And let's not forget that although drivers always need to be alert, pedestrians have some responsibility to be aware, too. I'm not blaming the poor victim here, but to suggest that this man's age is what got him killed is awfully irresponsible based on how few facts are presented in the story.
on April 5,2013 | 04:24PM
copperwire9 wrote:
Thanks! Good comment.
on April 5,2013 | 11:08PM
brian606 wrote:
Of course, independence is a weakness. Give me a "reasonable leash" or give me death! Or maybe just "keenly" take care of me when I get old.
on April 5,2013 | 04:27PM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
So, this man's family failed him because he wasn't in a planned community, he fell through this "safety net" you refer to, and THAT'S how he ended up in the crosswalk on Kapahulu? Let's try to stay on point and comment on the story. If you want to ramble, start a blog.
on April 5,2013 | 04:11PM
false wrote:
Good video. First time i seen it. Also, police come to the aid whenever they are called. They do not show up just because someone dropped their bus pass. For example, our neighbor's car has been in a hit and run and the damage was so significant that their car slammed into our half-inch pipe going up our wall into our property. It took about an hour, for five officers, one of who been in on it, because it was training. I could not believe the response. We had to wait an hour for a guy from BWS to turn off our gushing water that nailed us for 40 dollars worth of wasting water.
on April 5,2013 | 03:51PM
false wrote:
Good video. First time i seen it. Also, police come to the aid whenever they are called. They do not show up just because someone dropped their bus pass. For example, our neighbor's car has been in a hit and run and the damage was so significant that their car slammed into our half-inch pipe going up our wall into our property. It took about an hour, for five officers, one of who been in on it, because it was training. I could not believe the response. We had to wait an hour for a guy from BWS to turn off our gushing water that nailed us for 40 dollars worth of wasting water.
on April 5,2013 | 03:51PM
allie wrote:
I am so sorry..this happens way too much. Please slow down
on April 5,2013 | 04:09PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
allie, always generalizing. How many times did it happen before, or are you gonna say once is too many times? Are you sure the car was exceeding the speed limit? Think maybe the old man simply stepped off the curb, expecting the car to stop in time? Was the old man in a crosswalk? Did he walk into the car's path? No one here knows, especially you.
on April 5,2013 | 07:13PM
mikethenovice wrote:
These old people grew up in the old Hawaii where the cars always stop to let them cross. Well, fast forward life in Hawaii and we can expect more pedestrian accidents in Hawaii as we become more of the rush, rush like the Mainland. It's now one man for himself. No one will watch out for you. Play it safe. Let the cars go first. No sense get hit and they don't go jail anyway. Poho(waste) of a human life.
on April 5,2013 | 06:13PM
RetiredWorking wrote:
People are impatient, drivers and pedestrians. There have been cases where old people haphazardly cross the street, chasing the bus, only to be hit by an coming car or fall under the bus. And NO! It is not one man for himself, no one will watch out for you. I speak from experience, and I guess mike does too. And no, I'm old, and the cars did NOT always stop to let you cross.
on April 5,2013 | 07:19PM
mikethenovice wrote:
Your not old, but you named yourself Retired(Working). Have you won the lottery you lucky dog? Anyway, I still say it's one man for himself. You have to place the safety and welfare of yourself first. I also don't chase the bus. I leave early and can wait for the next bus.
on April 6,2013 | 06:09AM
mitt_grund wrote:
It's really sad that the value of life ceases when you hit the age of 65. Notice how little follow up there is in investigating the traffic/pedestrian deaths of victims 65 and over. These people no longer have value to society. Due process for these old people who are no longer of use to society would use up valuable financial resources. The law says one thing, the investigative process and judicial process say another. Eh, no beeg thing. They old, so why waste time, brah. Say aloha oe and get on with life. People and the judicial system have forgotten that the vehicle has a considerable weight advantage over a 65 and over body, and that due caution should be exercised always -- such as not speeding, not driving with attention, not talking on a cell phone, and not putting on that eye liner while driving.
on April 8,2013 | 07:05AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
Wait

Political Radar
Second request

Political Radar
Tipped

Warrior Beat
One last fling

Political Radar
Phased in

Political Radar
Palolo v. Pauoa