Quantcast

Wednesday, July 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Feds have image of Boston suspect but deny he's in custody

By Denise Lavoie & Rodrique Ngowi

Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 06:11 p.m. HST, Apr 17, 2013


BOSTON >> In what could be major break in the Boston Marathon case, investigators are on the hunt for a man seen in a department store surveillance video dropping off a bag at the site of the bombings, a local politician said today.

Separately, a law enforcement official confirmed that authorities have found an image of a potential suspect but don't know his name.

The development — less than 48 hours after the attack, which left three people dead and more than 170 wounded — marked a possible turning point in a case that has investigators analyzing photos and videos frame by frame for clues to who carried out the twin bombings and why.

City Council President Stephen Murphy, who said he was briefed by Boston police, said investigators saw the image on surveillance footage they got from a department store near the finish line and matched the findings with witness descriptions of someone leaving the scene.

"I know it's very active and very fluid right now — that they are on the chase," Murphy said. He added: "They may be on the verge of arresting someone, and that's good."

The bombs were crudely fashioned from ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and ball bearings, investigators and others close to the case said. Investigators suspect the devices were then hidden in black duffel bags and left on the ground.

As a result, they were looking for images of someone lugging a dark, heavy bag.

One department store video "has confirmed that a suspect is seen dropping a bag near the point of the second explosion and heading off," Murphy said.

A law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity confirmed only that investigators had an image of a potential suspect whose name was not known to them and who had not been questioned.

Several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor department store between the sites of the bomb blasts.

The turn of events came with Boston in a state of high excitement over conflicting reports of a breakthrough.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told the AP around midday that a suspect was in custody. The official, who was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation and spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the suspect was expected in federal court. But the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston said no arrests had been made.

By nightfall, there was no evidence anyone was in custody. No one was taken to court. The law enforcement official, who had affirmed there was a suspect in custody even after federal officials denied it, was unable to obtain any further information or explanation.

At least 14 bombing victims, including three children, remained in critical condition. Dozens of victims have been released from hospitals, and officials at three hospitals that treated some of the most seriously injured said they expected all their remaining patients to survive. A 2-year-old boy with a head injury was improving and might go home Thursday, Boston Children's Hospital said.

Today, investigators in white jumpsuits fanned out across the streets, rooftops and awnings around the blast site in search of clues. They picked through trash cans, plastic cup sleeves and discarded sports drink dispensers.

Boston remained under a heavy security presence, and some people admitted they were nervous about moving about in public spaces.

Tyler King, a personal trainer from Attleboro who works in Boston, said four of five clients canceled on him a day earlier because they were worried about venturing into the city. He took the train in, but "I kind of kept my head on a swivel."

Kenya Nadry, a website designer, took her 5-year-old nephew to a playground.

"There's still some sense of fear, but I feel like Boston's resilient," she said. "The fine men in blue will take care of a lot of it."

Police were stationed on street corners across downtown Boston, while National Guardsmen set up tents on the Boston Common and stationed tactical vehicles.

Dr. Horacio Hojman, associate chief of trauma at Tufts Medical Center, said patients were in surprisingly good spirits when they were brought in.

"Despite what they witnessed, despite what they suffered, despite many of them having life-threatening injuries, their spirits were not broken," he said. "And I think that should probably be the message for all of us — that this horrible act of terror will not bring us down."

President Barack Obama and his challenger in the last election, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, planned to visit Boston on Thursday to attend a service honoring the victims.

Obama signed an emergency declaration for Massachusetts today and ordered federal aid to supplement the local response to the bombings.

The blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard, of Boston, and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell, of Medford. The Shenyang Evening News, a state-run Chinese newspaper, identified the third victim as Lu Lingzi, a graduate student at Boston University.

___

Associated Press writers Jay Lindsay, Pat Eaton-Robb, Steve LeBlanc, Bridget Murphy and Meghan Barr in Boston; Eileen Sullivan, Julie Pace and Lara Jakes in Washington; and Marilynn Marchione in Milwaukee contributed to this report.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 15 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(15)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
mrluke wrote:
Another anonymous !diot official! Why don't we just tip the guy off?!
on April 17,2013 | 07:50AM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
That was fast.
on April 17,2013 | 08:50AM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Spoke too soon other media outlets are reporting that the feds say no one is in custody.
on April 17,2013 | 08:54AM
Grimbold wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on April 17,2013 | 09:14AM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
So was Timothy McVeigh
on April 17,2013 | 09:49AM
Goodmedivice wrote:
This comment has been deleted.
on April 17,2013 | 03:40PM
false wrote:
so was the Unabomber
on April 17,2013 | 04:40PM
hanalei395 wrote:
Before it was known that it was Timothy McVeigh, racists were blaming Muslims.
on April 17,2013 | 05:25PM
ezridah wrote:
it could have been a lot worse...they could have planted it at the starting line..
on April 17,2013 | 10:18AM
oiwi808 wrote:
Here we go again. Another case where a reporter wants to be the one to bring "breaking news" first but instead forgets to verify the story BEFORE reporting it. The media is the biggest cause of providing misinformation and unfortunately the public chooses believe them.
on April 17,2013 | 10:24AM
false wrote:
seems, thinks, kind of, could be, can be, might be. All because of Benjamin Franklin and his Death and Taxes. Then again it could be because of the comet that wiped out the Dinosaurs. We know that a chimpanzee cannot type on a laptop because we have evolved beyond them. I wonder why we cannot report on all people in the graduate program of a certain university. Why does tragedy always win. Maybe it was Shakespeare's fault. The now is now, and what he need to deal with is to bring the person to justice.
on April 17,2013 | 04:37PM
Hapa_Haole_Boy wrote:
CNN = i.d.i.o.t.s.
on April 17,2013 | 10:24AM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
FOX news 2= I di o t s.
on April 17,2013 | 10:31AM
false wrote:
all media = idiots lol
on April 17,2013 | 04:39PM
GorillaSmith wrote:
These being the same idiots who blithely quoted Janet Napolitano as saying we have no idea who did it but it wasn't Al Qaeda. Breathtaking in their stupidity.
on April 17,2013 | 01:12PM
cunfuzd4 wrote:
I hope this "suspect" doesn't turn out to be some poor sap the Boston PD and Politicians are conveniently offering up as a sacrifice to calm the public hysteria.
on April 17,2013 | 02:36PM
honupono wrote:
is this CNN's Jon King again? or Fox news again? earlier both stated from "sources" that a suspect was arrested and it turns out both were wrong. And now this... is it all about scooping it first or telling the truth?
on April 17,2013 | 04:37PM
false wrote:
scooping it first.
on April 17,2013 | 04:39PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News