Quantcast

Monday, July 28, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 55 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

ESPN regrets Broussard comment on gay NBA player

By David Bauder

AP Television Writer

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 05:14 a.m. HST, May 01, 2013


NEW YORK » ESPN says that it regrets the "distraction" caused by one of its reporters who described Jason Collins as a sinner after the NBA center publicly revealed that he was gay.

Chris Broussard, who covers the NBA for ESPN, had said on the air that Collins and others in the NBA who engage in premarital sex or adultery were "walking in open rebellion to God, and to Jesus Christ." Broussard, a former reporter for The New York Times, spoke during ESPN's "Outside the Lines" program Monday discussing Collins' announcement.

In an article in Sports Illustrated, Collins became the first male athlete in one of the country's four major sports to come out as gay.

ESPN's Josh Krulewitz said the network regrets that a discussion of personal viewpoints became a "distraction." The network offered its own view of Collins' news: "ESPN is fully committed to diversity and welcomes Jason Collins' announcement," he said.

During his on-the-air discussion, Broussard described himself as a Christian.

"I don't agree with homosexuality," he said. "I think it's a sin, as I think all sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman is."

Broussard in an online message on Tuesday said that he had previously discussed his point of view about homosexuality publicly.

"I realize that some people disagree with my opinion, and I accept and respect that," he wrote. "As has been the case in the past, my beliefs have not and will not impact my ability to report on the NBA. I believe Jason Collins displayed bravery with his announcement ... and I have no objection to him or anyone else playing in the NBA."

Collins, in an interview with The New York Times on Tuesday, noted that he is a Christian, too.

"This is all about tolerance and acceptance and America is the best country in the world because we're all entitled to our opinions and beliefs but we don't have to agree," he said. "And obviously I don't agree with his statement."







 Print   Email   Comment | View 55 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(55)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
nippy68 wrote:
broussard is telling it like it is. espn should not fire or let him go. this is what commentors/reporters do.
on May 1,2013 | 05:56AM
Kahu Matu wrote:
Broussard showed just as much courage to stand up in the face of such pressure from the press, the president, and many in the region in which he writes. He should be commended for standing up with such courage just as Collins has, however that will not be the case. Instead, the network, pundits, and politicians will sacrifice this person because of his courage. Sad when America shows such intolerance, although it claims to be tolerant.
on May 1,2013 | 06:00AM
false wrote:
Chris Broussard is one of ESPN's veteran reporters, although young. If Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith said those things, then it would be another story.
on May 1,2013 | 06:36AM
8082062424 wrote:
he said it in a very tasteful manner . Good for him he has every right to express his feeling
on May 1,2013 | 06:40AM
geralddeheer wrote:
What is so tasteful about bigotry?
on May 1,2013 | 06:48AM
pakeheat wrote:
And you're hatred comment?
on May 1,2013 | 07:28AM
8082062424 wrote:
he stated he believes this lifestyle along with premarital sex and adultery is wrong. no words of hate . just because some one has there own view does not make them a bigot
on May 1,2013 | 07:35AM
8082062424 wrote:
he stated he believes this lifestyle along with premarital sex and adultery is wrong. there was no hate in his comment .everyone has the right to there beliefs and feeling
on May 1,2013 | 07:41AM
Kahu Matu wrote:
He was respectful and caring just as any Christian is. The problem is that many others are apt to name-call and disrespect the beliefs of others. Bigotry is your view that anyone who does like or promote this type of sexual activity must be hateful. Those who demand tolerance are usually the most intolerant. Those who call others bigots are usually the biggest bigot. You are seen by your attitude to be inauthentic.
on May 1,2013 | 05:43PM
EMS wrote:
Will someone explain how his views are indicative of bigotry? I don't get it. Just because this guys moral values are different... Now he's a bigot? So if he says that murder is wrong...does that make him a bigot too?
on May 1,2013 | 09:16PM
gshilo wrote:
Everybody is entitled to their opinion.
on May 1,2013 | 06:51AM
JimLoomis wrote:
Arrogant twit!
on May 1,2013 | 06:59AM
SteveToo wrote:
So tell me why Obama waisted time on this subject, Gay player, More important things in the world going on.
on May 1,2013 | 07:03AM
pueouhane wrote:
Another bigot fool gay bashing and hiding behind his church, book, and not my God. He nailed his own self to the cross and he might eat more than his foot, once he pulls it out of his behind. You're FIRED!
on May 1,2013 | 07:06AM
pakeheat wrote:
Another person with hateful comments
on May 1,2013 | 07:30AM
pueouhane wrote:
Please, P-Heat, explain to me where you see hate in my comment (s)- If you're going to beat your chest and blow hot air at least step up and clearly make an statement, show me hate in my comment. Go find someone else to troll and trash. Be a good Christian and find some love, kindness, understand, and forgiveness in your heart and when you do send it to the fool this article is all about. Oops, duck localboy, here comes the hot pah-kay.
on May 1,2013 | 08:29AM
8082062424 wrote:
maybe it has to do with your name calling which is very common. tolerance goes both ways
on May 1,2013 | 09:34AM
kkuwahar wrote:
I agree with Pakeheat. When you used the term bigot fool, that is hate speech. Broussard was respectful of Collins in stating his beliefs that many professed Christians believe. We are all not perfect. You are probably a wonderful person too. Tolerance really should be two ways. Shouldn't you be respectful also of those that you disagree with?
on May 1,2013 | 09:35AM
pakeheat wrote:
Thanks 8082062424 and kkuwahar, we need to pray for pueouhane.
on May 1,2013 | 01:28PM
Kahu Matu wrote:
When you use language like "bigot fool gay bashing" you are using hate words and showing your own bigotry against Christians and churches who you have disdain for. I would suggest you take your own advice, "go find someone else to troll and trash".
on May 1,2013 | 05:46PM
EMS wrote:
Again...I don't see how his comments were are bigoted in nature....didn't see anything hateful about his comments...the guys just disagreed,with the choice of lifestyle.
on May 1,2013 | 09:20PM
localguy wrote:
Got news for Broussard, there is no God. Man wrote the bible, science has proven there is no God, universe self created. Yes you can freely believe all you want, we all know the real truth.
on May 1,2013 | 07:11AM
pakeheat wrote:
Nope, you don't know the truth. The rest of you're comments shows it.
on May 1,2013 | 07:30AM
Kahu Matu wrote:
Education will open your eyes to what you deny and have yet to understand. I will pray that you would no longer remain in the ignorance of this age and open your mind to the truth that science and technology reveals about the truth of the order and plan of the universe by God.
on May 1,2013 | 05:48PM
pipranm wrote:
I applaud both men, Broussard and Collins, as they each stand up for what they believe in while acknowledging each other's right to express their belief. More of us should be able to disagree without becoming disagreeable and throwing personal bombs at each other.
on May 1,2013 | 07:42AM
8082062424 wrote:
Thank You. there are two sides to this issue and both sides have every right to there feeling and beliefs . the sooner both sides accept they have the right to there feeling the sooner this will stop being so ugly
on May 1,2013 | 07:59AM
EMS wrote:
Finally! A comment without a hateful,spin!
on May 1,2013 | 09:21PM
gary360 wrote:
We live in a dictatorship era...THERE IS NO 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH' ANYMORE.
on May 1,2013 | 08:00AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Of course there is. Mr. Broussard is free to say what he wants. Just as ESPN is free to decide whether or not they want to allow him to express those opinions on their network while he is employed by them.
on May 1,2013 | 08:43AM
8082062424 wrote:
what happen to equal rights. both sides should have every right to express there feeling not just one side
on May 1,2013 | 09:31AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Which is what I said. But ESPN is a private business and can control whatever content it wants on it's shows. They can include one side of an issue, all sides of an issue, or no sides if they choose. Just like you can choose to watch them or not. They have no obligation either way when it comes to "free speech". The government is the entity that can't abridge free political speech, but ESPN is not the government.
on May 1,2013 | 09:39AM
8082062424 wrote:
basic civil right freedom of speech. you claim they want to live in peace. but any time some one does not agree with t hem they cry foal. sure seems one sided to me
on May 1,2013 | 09:44AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Freedom of Speech is a constitutional issue that I tried to explain to you, but maybe you should just research it yourself if you're not seeing the point. Remember, true freedom of speech includes crying fowl when someone wants to as well.
on May 1,2013 | 11:06AM
HAJAA1 wrote:
Absolutely no story here. Move on.
on May 1,2013 | 08:04AM
NuuanuMama wrote:
What was Broussard disagreeing with? That Collins is an NBA player, black or gay? He doesn't think he is one or all of these? No, he wasn't disagreeing with Collins' statement, he was disagreeing with who Collins is, gay. Collins never said he was having sex, he just said he was gay. And I agree, Broussard is a Christian Extremist and a bigot. Jesus loved the prostitute and I'm sure he loves gay people too, love is what he was about. I don't, however, think Broussard should be fired for his comment, but then again, I don't listen to the nugatory noise from ESPN.
on May 1,2013 | 08:19AM
8082062424 wrote:
he also stated he believes that premarital sex and adultery is wrong not just the gay life style, Jesus loves every o ne. but i would not use Jesus loved the prostitute Because he told her go and sin no more. just saying
on May 1,2013 | 09:30AM
daniwitz13 wrote:
I've said it many times that a Gay person cannot prove he is REALLY Gay. Saying it is one thing but proving it is quite another. Saying something that can't be proven is like lying. He is a fool to come "out" now and "claim" to be something he can't prove. His Brother does not come "out" and say that he is Straight. 34 years he was living a good life as he was and is. What is coming "out" going to do? Make him a better Player? Everyone liked him for what he was. Now he is saying it was all a fraud. That his team mates are all clueless. Pity.
on May 1,2013 | 11:14AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Just because you've said it many times does not make it true. How would you propose that you "prove" you are heterosexual? If you're asking Mr. Collins to prove he is gay, then I would hope you would set the same standard for your alleged orientation.
on May 1,2013 | 11:34AM
pakeheat wrote:
"he was disagreeing with who Collins is, gay". NuuanuMama, please point out where did Mr. Broussard actually said that?
on May 1,2013 | 07:51PM
Honto5 wrote:
If anyone would research, Jason Collins has an indentical "twin brother" that also played in the NBA and is "straight" and NOT GAY. What this reveals is DNA and genes is not the reason people turn out to be GAY. It's a matter of CHOICE and not God's design that Same Sex couples choose their life style.
on May 1,2013 | 09:57AM
8082062424 wrote:
well he also has a ex wife and a current fiancee. both had no clue talk about shock
on May 1,2013 | 10:23AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
No, it doesn't, but nice try.
on May 1,2013 | 11:07AM
Honto5 wrote:
OH YES.....one brother is "STRAIGHT" and the other USED TO BE. The GAY lifestyle Jason Collins is living is by CHOICE. Sorry, but Broussard has it RIGHT.....Homosexuality is a SIN. And it's never too late to turn your lifetstyle around.
on May 1,2013 | 11:41AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
You're entitled to your religious opinion, but perhaps you should leave science to scientists. And by the way, it's also never too late to learn how not to judge others and find a way to stop trying to force others to live by your beliefs.
on May 1,2013 | 12:25PM
Honto5 wrote:
True...and what science would prove is that his DNA and Genes would not be the reason HE is GAY. It is by his choosing and not a Biological twist of fate. He was in a Heterosexaul relationship for almost 8 years, engaged and decided not to continue in the relationship. Yes...it is never good to JUDGE others....but, this is not about Judgement......this is about being a MESSENGER and actually being BRAVE enough to stand up and speak out AGAINST what is becoming "popular" and supposedly "politcally correct" acceptance in soceity today. There are many more like me that will NOT and NEVER STOP speaking out against HOMOSEXUALITY because it is...what is..... a SIN. Plain and simple.
on May 1,2013 | 12:56PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
No true scientist is EVER as sure as you are of anything, which is the perfect illustration that that's why your opinion is just that, an opinion. And for someone who states "it is never good to JUDGE others", you sure do quickly turn around and do exactly that. Keep your faith and don't marry someone of the same gender if you don't want to, but stop thinking you have a right to force others to follow your beliefs or your god.
on May 1,2013 | 01:46PM
Honto5 wrote:
So now you can see WHY your statement..."to leave science to scientist" now works against what you stated earlier because now you say ..."No true scientist is EVER sure of anything". Your changing your statement because have "No facts" to stand on. Which is why the WORD says all those who hears the word of Christ but does not act on them builds their House on Sand. Their beliefs and opinions are not based on Truth. They will always followwhat seems RIGHT in their own eyes even if it is FALLABLE or even a LIE. But in the end it will not STAND.
on May 1,2013 | 02:20PM
burymeagain wrote:
Only the Man can make comments like that. The rest of us are just self-righteous sinners with no business speaking down to others.
on May 1,2013 | 12:25PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Wow, we have our own version of the Taliban right here in Hawaii. Go figure.
on May 1,2013 | 04:09PM
Kahu Matu wrote:
Yes, we call it the GLBTIQ and it's purpose is to undermine our American society with a new teaching of oppression through (in)tolerance. If you do not accept their teachings of sexuality and domination, you will be name-called, ostracized, and your ultimate destruction will be sought. The GLBTIQ is attacking Christians and their freedom of religion. It is attacking individuals in the public arena who do not share their beliefs. The ultimate goal is to refashion the US to promote their cause as a state mandate. And it's scary but they have already taken hold in Hawaii and are trying to spread this message of destruction and intolerance across our nation.
on May 1,2013 | 05:54PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Yet you don't recognize nor acknowledge that athough they are probably a minority of most Christians, many people of that type of faith have been doing that exact same thing to our Lesbian and Gay brothers and sisters, children, parents, friends, family and co-workers. Just look in this forum on a daily basis to see people on both sides of this issue who attack "individuals in the public arena who do not share their beliefs", yet I don't see you calling any of the bretheren to task in here. Many of those that present themselves as the only "true" Christians "have already taken hold in Hawaii" and it isn't their "goal" to promote their cause as a state mandate... it already is a state mandate. But the majority are those of many faiths and no faith that don't buy into that particular brand of Christian... and they are being heard and are winning on this issue.
on May 1,2013 | 06:20PM
8082062424 wrote:
But the majority are those of many faiths and no faith support the GLBTQ is a out right lie. and the numbers show it. let me add folks who have no faith also do not support them. there a maybe 2 or 3 churches in Hawaii that will perform civil unions. Just what is it you think they will win at best it will be same sex marriage. but it will not change what in folks minds and hearts. you can not force this life style on any one any more then you can force faith on any one. keep in mind the harder you push some thing on some one the more they reject it. and this group has played the victim card already and that wearing thin. most are seeing the ugly side of this group. now when the other side starts to fight back then what? up to this point they have just ride it out. do you really believe that folks will allow them to force this life style on them.i not sure if you no this but you are one of those that attack other who believe this life style not quite right. your so jaded on this issue that it one side one way. keep in mind what happen at Chick fil when this group tried to push it values on them. folks from every faith and no faith came out in the thousands. . that was not a fluke they keep trying to push this on others you will see more of that. ive said this many times both sides have every right to there beliefs and feeling. neither side has the right to push it on other. and you can say polls say thus. but kids in Hawaii who never really thought about gay or straight now are anti gay. and it from this agenda trying to shove it in there face
on May 1,2013 | 07:19PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
You should have your facts correct before you claim someone is a liar. You have shown your true colors.
on May 1,2013 | 09:30PM
Anonymous wrote:
my true colors have always been both sides have every right to who they are there feeling. . both sides have no right to push what they believe or who they are on any one else.. im not jaded like you. both sides have have a lot of anger . but the fatc remains both sides have no right to shove what they feel or believe in any one else's life. it may be hard for you to believe but many many folks who have no faith back ground do not support same sex marriage . just because to them ti not natural or normal. all you have to do is stand in line in the market and hear folks conversation when this is a topic in the news. live seen first hand some from this group try and push it lifestyle in our schools. two mom's brought in a book my two mommy's or something along that line in to a 1st grade class and want it read to the students. of the rest of the parents hit the roof. the teacher her self felt uncomfortable about it. of course the book was not read. and these two mom's had a fit. to me that crosses the line of trying to shove your life style on others,
on May 2,2013 | 06:24AM
Anonymous wrote:
i have no idea why it saying Anonymous
on May 2,2013 | 08:21AM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs